If there was a upvote/downvote system
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

If there was a upvote/downvote system

On Reddit, you have to be careful how you type and what. Dismissive comments get downvoted instantly. When you disagree with a consensus then you'd have to post it in the most respectable way humanly possible to not get downvoted; on some subreddits even that isn't enough.

I remember the likes of Bruno saying that what they liked about SC2Mafia was that they could say whatever they wanted.
    But on forums like this our impressions are limited to what other people have typed out and posted.

If there was a upvote/downvote system for posts, like on Reddit, do you think the earlier days of Sc2mafia would still have given the same impression of expressive freedom as it did?

Last edited by OzyWho; August 11th, 2021 at 12:56 AM.

2. ISO #2

Re: If there was a upvote/downvote system

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    If there was a upvote/downvote system for posts, like on Reddit, do you think the earlier days of Sc2mafia would still have given the same impression of expressive freedom as it did?

That's a very good point, I don't think it would. Indeed, an upvote/downvote system directly incentivizes people to match their opinions with the consensus view, or at least tailor your views to the consensus view.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    That's a very good point, I don't think it would. Indeed, an upvote/downvote system directly incentivizes people to match their opinions with the consensus view, or at least tailor your views to the consensus view.
    I'm a simple man; I see you agree with me, I give you + Reputation Points.

4. ISO #4

Then I could be just like a Reddit admin and repeatedly spam “GUYS THE DOWNVOTES ARE NOT FOR PEOPLE YOU DISLIKE OR DISAGREE WITH! YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO USE IT FOR STUFF THAT IS OFF-TOPIC/NON-CONTRIBUTING”

And zero people listen and id rip my hair out
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Then I could be just like a Reddit admin and repeatedly spam “GUYS THE DOWNVOTES ARE NOT FOR PEOPLE YOU DISLIKE OR DISAGREE WITH! YOU’RE SUPPOSED TO USE IT FOR STUFF THAT IS OFF-TOPIC/NON-CONTRIBUTING”

And zero people listen and id rip my hair out
    you are a reddit admin tho
    The only townie good enough to get banned for game-throwing in games that he wins.

6. ISO #6

If there were an upvote/downvote system here, I'm pretty sure the site would devolve into an unhealthy climate of either conflict or forced consensus for the reasons you stated. It's a bad thing, and I think that beyond sc2mafia, it has a significant impact on society as a whole by strenghtening echo chambers and the feeling of normality and uniformity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    If there were an upvote/downvote system here, I'm pretty sure the site would devolve into an unhealthy climate of either conflict or forced consensus for the reasons you stated. It's a bad thing, and I think that beyond sc2mafia, it has a significant impact on society as a whole by strenghtening echo chambers and the feeling of normality and uniformity.
    It got me thinking about how you get those crazy subreddits like incel subreddits that espouse views that would have to be extremely carefully defended in the real world, but on those subreddits those views are bandied about like it's common sense. And I think a lot of it is probably due to the fact these subreddits are all compartmentalized and then have these upvote/downvote systems that basically allow every niche opinion to exist in total isolation, totally unchallenged.

It's like that game ozy (or me? I don't remember) brought up in the other thread where ppl guess how many jelly beans are in the jar. Reddit is a world where all the ppl who guessed numbers wildly high can segregate themselves from society and circlejerk eachother about how based their estimates are. It totally violates the natural triangulation process nature probably intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.