What appeals to you about parasocial interaction?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: What appeals to you about parasocial interaction?

My attraction to virtual socializing bloomed during a period in my life when I was unable to speak. The thought of being able to “say” things on the Internet that I wouldn’t say to a real person intrigued me because it gave me a voice. Now, I’m much more cognizant of what I type.

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

By parasocial interaction, do you mean the idea of an audience forming a relationship with some sort of celebrity or personality, or through communicating through mass media in general? Your second post implies the latter.

What was with the inability to speak, if you don't mind me asking? Did you lose the ability to do so?

6. ISO #6

If your talking about what Oops just mentioned I personally don't. If someone makes cool content I thank them for it and such but I don't get attached and dislike when my thoughts move towards thinking about how they may think about me. It all feels so wrong to me..

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

I just made the term up, but if there was an official definition, it would be this:

Parasocial interactions refer to when people that are separated in real life socialize with each other through the Internet. This includes typing, voice chat, and webcams.

Many things can fall under "parasocial interaction" based on this "definition."

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    I just made the term up, but if there was an official definition, it would be this:

Parasocial interactions refer to when people that are separated in real life socialize with each other through the Internet. This includes typing, voice chat, and webcams.

Many things can fall under "parasocial interaction" based on this "definition."
    Huh well you should have clarified cuz every top google result seems to talk about interaction with celebrities

So the question is what appeals to us about interacting with each other (IE posting on these forums) essentially?
    Last edited by DJarJar; July 25th, 2021 at 10:09 PM.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

Why does anyone do social interaction period? They enjoy interacting with people. I don't see the point of asking this question unless you either do not enjoy social interaction, or are a psychopath.

Why do people do social interaction here? Mafia and bonds created over time.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Huh well you should have clarified cuz every top google result seems to talk about interaction with celebrities

So the question is what appeals to us about interacting with each other (IE posting on these forums) essentially?
    Yeah.

15. ISO #15

Yeah.
    Well I think the question is flawed then. I don’t think there needs to be an appeal for you to interact with me or anyone else.

Vast majority of people you meet won’t end up being your best friends. But I think there is some human programming to want to interact with people, feel like you belong, even just something to do when you’re bored, etc.

I mean I have a counter question. You can just stop talking to everyone here if you want to, but the same is true IRL too. You could probably easily ghost a bunch of irl people who are “friends” but not like real close. So why don’t you?
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

16. ISO #16

I try not to ghost real-life friends out of a sense of duty and desire to be polite. I know that probably sounds really weird, and I'm actually trying to stop that.

Also, I just think real friends are better than virtual friends, but that's probably because I currently have a great group of friends.

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

You can definitely talk about a lot of things on the Internet that you normally can't in the real world.
    This is probably the thing I like the most. I can sort through my thoughts on touchy issues without harming personal or professional relationships. I have the same conversations in real life but its always nice to have those conversations after other people have challenged my views and made me less ignorant. Looking back at some of the positions I took over the years I can only laugh at myself sometimes. I also like how people are more comfortable being open with parts of themselves they wouldn't in real life. The community in general is very accepting and open minded for the most part.

On the other side I very much dislike a certain aspect of the 'virtue signaling' and Social Justice Warriors who seem to be looking for a soap box they can be crappy to other people from. Then theres the reaction baiting and 'shock humor' attempts by unimaginative trolls that are pretty lame..

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Are there people who don’t “virtue signal”?

It seems to be a conservative, anti-liberal phrase but how does it not apply both ways? And if it does and everyone does it, then who cares?
    I fucking hate virtue signalling tbh. There's nothing worse than checking out at a store and then the cashier says some fake bullshit like "have a nice day". Every single time I immediately shit and piss my pants simultaneously, then fall to the ground crying and screaming that she doesn't actually care whether or not I have a good day and she should stop trying to look like a virtuous person. Fucking libtards.

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    I fucking hate virtue signalling tbh. There's nothing worse than checking out at a store and then the cashier says some fake bullshit like "have a nice day". Every single time I immediately shit and piss my pants simultaneously, then fall to the ground crying and screaming that she doesn't actually care whether or not I have a good day and she should stop trying to look like a virtuous person. Fucking libtards.
    You'd hate Germany

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

The removal of some dumb filters you cannot really remove in real life. I think some online interactions can actually be very enriching when people are honest. And although Oops was trolling about something similar earlier, it genuinely annoys me to see the "standard social interaction ruleset" that everyone apparently has to follow and that yet noone completely masters. It's artificial and fake. Things like "how's it going?" when the person could not care less about your life make social interactions tedious, stressful and more importantly, empty. In what you call "parasocial interaction", there is no need for anyone to feel obligated to abide to that ridiculous ruleset, and people act like human beings, most of the time. If I ask you how you're doing, it's because I genuinely care about it, not just because I want to fill a void. And I think that's great.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

26. ISO #26

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    The removal of some dumb filters you cannot really remove in real life. I think some online interactions can actually be very enriching when people are honest. And although Oops was trolling about something similar earlier, it genuinely annoys me to see the "standard social interaction ruleset" that everyone apparently has to follow and that yet noone completely masters. It's artificial and fake. Things like "how's it going?" when the person could not care less about your life make social interactions tedious, stressful and more importantly, empty. In what you call "parasocial interaction", there is no need for anyone to feel obligated to abide to that ridiculous ruleset, and people act like human beings, most of the time. If I ask you how you're doing, it's because I genuinely care about it, not just because I want to fill a void. And I think that's great.
    I disagree.

27. ISO #27

I disagree.
    See? You're able to just dismiss something you disagree with in the most simple manner, without need for any social artifices. Isn't that great? :P

Also, I'm torn between saying "good for you" and "sad" about your stance. Good for you because you probably fit in society more than I do under that aspect, but sad because it's... fake. It's fakeness, hypocrisy oftentimes, artifices, as I said earlier.
    Maybe rumox will call me a psychopath too now
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

28. ISO #28

29. ISO #29

I used to think like you, but I changed when I started hanging out with a group of people I relate to. The fact that some of our interactions are fake doesn't bother me because we're the same in the areas that count.
    I'm happy for you in finding that group.