Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #1

Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear

Your doctrine I must blame...
    https://www.keepbelieving.com/sermon...hy-do-i-doubt/

I know there are a few people here who basically think Christianism (like other religions) is a load of bullshit that should not exist. To those people, I'd like to ask what they think of the link above. Doesn't this actually help people live better in your opinion, even though you believe they are mistaken in their faith? I think the author of this page really tries to help people and probably very much did, no matter whether his religion is right or not.

Bonus points if you actually know what the title refers to lol
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

2. ISO #2

Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear

I haven't touched the link, but that religious people are on average happier and that religion can improve a person's life is nothing new.

On the other side is stuff like Islam's attitude towards non-muslims, or some Christian parents disowning their child when they become atheists.

There's good and bad. What's this topic about? Was it just about the assumption that Atheists think there's nothing good about religion?

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post

I know there are a few people here who basically think Christianism (like other religions) is a load of bullshit that should not exist. To those people, I'd like to ask what they think of the link above. Doesn't this actually help people live better in your opinion, even though you believe they are mistaken in their faith? I think the author of this page really tries to help people and probably very much did, no matter whether his religion is right or not.

I do not really qualify as someone who "thinks Christianism (like other religions) is a load of bullshit that should not exist." but my most significant issue with the way faith is pushed is that its often used to tie people to the 'power structure' behind a religion rather than to the religion itself.
    I liked that article in that it addressed the subject of doubt although it also did some things I dislike such as 'speaking for god' in statements like "God never turns an honest doubter away." I am not gona say that is wrong but I am going to say that the author very likely has no permission from God to speak on their behalf.

I personally believe doubt is very healthy. It represents freedom of thought and it destroys the control of power structures.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I haven't touched the link, but that religious people are on average happier and that religion can improve a person's life is nothing new.

On the other side is stuff like Islam's attitude towards non-muslims, or some Christian parents disowning their child when they become atheists.

There's good and bad. What's this topic about? Was it just about the assumption that Atheists think there's nothing good about religion?
    I don't believe you're an atheist who believes religion should be purged from the face of the Earth; therefore, this doesn't really apply to you lol. I was more talking to those who openly state what I said in the previous sentence because I remember people talking about an imaginary flying daddy in the sky.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I do not really qualify as someone who "thinks Christianism (like other religions) is a load of bullshit that should not exist." but my most significant issue with the way faith is pushed is that its often used to tie people to the 'power structure' behind a religion rather than to the religion itself.
    I liked that article in that it addressed the subject of doubt although it also did some things I dislike such as 'speaking for god' in statements like "God never turns an honest doubter away." I am not gona say that is wrong but I am going to say that the author very likely has no permission from God to speak on their behalf.

I personally believe doubt is very healthy. It represents freedom of thought and it destroys the control of power structures.
    Completely agreed on the principle.

About speaking for God, the Bible technically gives him that "right" if he uses quotes from it, since it's supposed to be quite literally the word of God. I thought it was actually not that bad here.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Completely agreed on the principle.

About speaking for God, the Bible technically gives him that "right" if he uses quotes from it, since it's supposed to be quite literally the word of God. I thought it was actually not that bad here.
    Sure, although I think anyone with a few brain cells can make an argument for anything they want given they are referencing an 800k word book. With that statement he was not referencing scripture, just making an over statement on what God does which I saw as just literally speaking for God.

I see those sorts of statements all the time. People say "God does X" or "God feels X way about this" and I always just shake my head and think to myself its one hell of a position to take to speak on behalf of an omnipotent creator. The fact its done so absolutely commonly and with so little consideration just speaks to an aspect I take issue with in preachers.

8. ISO #8

https://www.keepbelieving.com/sermon...homosexuality/

"Does that mean that a homo-exual can never be saved? No, not at all. Anyone can be saved no matter what sins they may have committed. But Paul is saying that no one can be saved who continues in his sin, who takes pleasure in it, who does it without reservation or guilt, who has no desire to change. For such a person there truly is no hope. They have chosen sin over salvation, bondage over deliverance, guilt over for-giveness, and death over life. Such a person will notcannotenter the kingdom of God. The issue is really not homosexuality at all. It is coming to grips with your own sinful behavior. Until you are willing to view it the way God views it, you cannot be saved, for until you truly believe that you are a sinner, you have nothing from which to be saved ."

"It is difficult to imagine a stronger condemnation of homosexuality. It is the result of a “depraved mind,” the action of someone willfully suppressing the truth of God and surrendering to the impure desires of the flesh."

"It is occasionally said that God does not single out homosexuality, that it is no worse than any other sin. In one sense that is true since no extra requirements are laid on homosexuals by God. They may be saved just as easily and quickly as anyone else. God’s grace is available to all people without distinction. God does not discrimi-nate in dispensing His grace. Anyone who comes to Jesus Christ will find their sins forgiven. In that sense, we’re all in the same boat. Without Jesus Christ, nobody has a chance.

Having said that, however, we must not miss the emphasis of this passage. Widespread homosexuality is a mark of a society that has forgotten God and rejected His word. In that sense, homosexuality is singled out for special treatment. Why? Because it is, as Howard Snyder puts it, “a primary symptom of total moral decay.” (Letter to The Other Side 14:6, 1978, p. 2)"

"The evidence is overwhelming. Homosexual behavior in any form is wrong. It is a degraded and degrading sin. It is a horrible lifestyle. There is nothing gay about it. Protestations about true love and meaningful relation-ships do not change God’s verdict. Furthermore, no one was ever created by God to be homosexual. What I am saying is that when it comes to homosexuality, the lifestyle is sinful, the behavior is sinful, and so is the lust that goes with it. For those who take the Bible seriously, there can be no other answer."

https://www.christianity.com/blogs/d...stitution.html

https://kbiqradio.com/articles/blogs...-are-destroyed
    "When the foundations are destroyed, there are many things the righteous can do, but above everything else, they must first get a right view of God. It happens that I am writing this sermon in light of the recent Supreme Court ruling that legalized gay marriage in all 50 states. It’s not that we didn’t see it coming. The larger culture has been trending that way for years. Perhaps the shock is the speed of the change. Many believers feel that this decision is a decisive attack on the very foundations of society itself.

I happen to agree with that assessment and believe that hard times are upon us.When a nation celebrates what God condemns, judgment from on high must eventually come. No one can say how or when or where that judgment will come. But as certainly as God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, as certainly as the great empires of history have fallen, even so no nation is promised exemption from judgment."

@Marshmallow Marshall
    Should a gay person view this guy as just a nice man trying to help people out?
    Last edited by DJarJar; June 11th, 2021 at 08:18 AM.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

9. ISO #9

yes

im fernvnent athehitst

10. ISO #10

made himself famous by taking a very public very hard stance against gay rights in his town, has over 30 books published, there are 6 donate buttons on the page including options to donate STOCKS and to put them as the sole beneficiary in your will lol

11. ISO #11

what i hte most abuut christiianity is its strct definition of morals.

when i learned suicide makes u go to hell, that was my turning point lmfao. BYE JESUS!!!

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post

"Does that mean that a homo-exual can never be saved? No, not at all. Anyone can be saved no matter what sins they may have committed. But Paul is saying that no one can be saved who continues in his sin, who takes pleasure in it, who does it without reservation or guilt, who has no desire to change. For such a person there truly is no hope. They have chosen sin over salvation, bondage over deliverance, guilt over for-giveness, and death over life. Such a person will notcannotenter the kingdom of God. The issue is really not homosexuality at all. It is coming to grips with your own sinful behavior. Until you are willing to view it the way God views it, you cannot be saved, for until you truly believe that you are a sinner, you have nothing from which to be saved ."

"It is difficult to imagine a stronger condemnation of homosexuality. It is the result of a “depraved mind,” the action of someone willfully suppressing the truth of God and surrendering to the impure desires of the flesh."

"It is occasionally said that God does not single out homosexuality, that it is no worse than any other sin. In one sense that is true since no extra requirements are laid on homosexuals by God. They may be saved just as easily and quickly as anyone else. God’s grace is available to all people without distinction. God does not discrimi-nate in dispensing His grace. Anyone who comes to Jesus Christ will find their sins forgiven. In that sense, we’re all in the same boat. Without Jesus Christ, nobody has a chance.

Having said that, however, we must not miss the emphasis of this passage. Widespread homosexuality is a mark of a society that has forgotten God and rejected His word. In that sense, homosexuality is singled out for special treatment. Why? Because it is, as Howard Snyder puts it, “a primary symptom of total moral decay.” (Letter to The Other Side 14:6, 1978, p. 2)"

"The evidence is overwhelming. Homosexual behavior in any form is wrong. It is a degraded and degrading sin. It is a horrible lifestyle. There is nothing gay about it. Protestations about true love and meaningful relation-ships do not change God’s verdict. Furthermore, no one was ever created by God to be homosexual. What I am saying is that when it comes to homosexuality, the lifestyle is sinful, the behavior is sinful, and so is the lust that goes with it. For those who take the Bible seriously, there can be no other answer."

"When the foundations are destroyed, there are many things the righteous can do, but above everything else, they must first get a right view of God. It happens that I am writing this sermon in light of the recent Supreme Court ruling that legalized gay marriage in all 50 states. It’s not that we didn’t see it coming. The larger culture has been trending that way for years. Perhaps the shock is the speed of the change. Many believers feel that this decision is a decisive attack on the very foundations of society itself.

I happen to agree with that assessment and believe that hard times are upon us.When a nation celebrates what God condemns, judgment from on high must eventually come. No one can say how or when or where that judgment will come. But as certainly as God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, as certainly as the great empires of history have fallen, even so no nation is promised exemption from judgment."

@Marshmallow Marshall
    i didn't read the article lol, now i sound like a homophobe.

seriously, how does someone grow up hating gay ppl?

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    i didn't read the article lol, now i sound like a homophobe.

seriously, how does someone grow up hating gay ppl?
    MM linked a different page from the same site/author. I decided to see how long it would take for me to find something objectionable and it was like 30 seconds
    Last edited by DJarJar; June 11th, 2021 at 08:48 AM.

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Even if god existed I wouldn't worship him. The guy has such low self esteem that he has to create us to praise him? Get a life god. What a loser.
    god would willingly put billions of us in everlasting hell? get a life god. what a lser

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

@aamirus
    I haven't read anything, but do I understand it right?
    You ad hominem'd?
    “Doesn't this actually help people live better in your opinion, even though you believe they are mistaken in their faith? I think the author of this page really tries to help people and probably very much did, no matter whether his religion is right or not.” -MM

I did attack the man MM was talking about but I don’t think it’s irrelevant at all to his question - which I am interpreting as essentially “isn’t this guy’s christianness a good thing that is making the world better?”

21. ISO #21

@Marshmallow Marshall
    If Hitler saved somebody's life, would you say he did an horrible thing "because he's Hitler"? I never said the guy was Jesus xD. I also hadn't read anything else from him and just randomly stumbled upon the article I linked. What you found doesn't remove any value from the words that were right.

On another topic, what you quoted is the exact reason why people tell the church to fuck off many times, and rightfully so when they have such retarded positions. Apparently, God didn't create gays... nah, they probably rose from the ground one Friday on the thirteenth of a month, right?

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

Ah yes, Hitler being slapped by a baby!

24. ISO #24

If Hitler saved somebody's life, would you say he did an horrible thing "because he's Hitler"? I never said the guy was Jesus xD. I also hadn't read anything else from him and just randomly stumbled upon the article I linked. What you found doesn't remove any value from the words that were right.

On another topic, what you quoted is the exact reason why people tell the church to fuck off many times, and rightfully so when they have such retarded positions. Apparently, God didn't create gays... nah, they probably rose from the ground one Friday on the thirteenth of a month, right?
    k as long as we've established christianity is fine, it's just as good as hitler, i'm good with this outcome

25. ISO #25

k as long as we've established christianity is fine, it's just as good as hitler, i'm good with this outcome

26. ISO #26

Have you been hitler recently?
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

27. ISO #27

Gays are a myth created by Emmanuel Goldstein in order to sow malthink and malbelief (thoughtcrime) and to cause carnal lust in the mind of a goodthinkful Party member, comrade.
    Last edited by Oberon; June 12th, 2021 at 03:11 AM.

28. ISO #28

Christianity and Islam have done much more for the world than "making people happier" in some vague sense. Churches and mosques have functioned as critical community centres for like, forever. And they have also been used as places to politically organise against repressive regimes.

But that doesn't make Aamirus wrong either. They're also homophobic as fuck, and uniquely homophobic. Many societies and civilizations, while not great, had their own nuanced takes on human sexuality before empires of christian and muslim denomination came along and effectively shoved their perspectives down their throat. Or at least, that's what I've gathered from my limited understanding.

I don't really see the value in conversations about whether these religions are "good" or "bad" for the world, because I don't know how you could possibly go about imagining what a world without these religions would look like. And it's totally out of our hands when or even if these religions will die out. I imagine these conversations would be more productive and less draining if the premise of discussion was less vague and ambitious. Maybe ask instead how religion X affects factor Y in place and time Z.

29. ISO #29

30. ISO #30

Dunno it seems to me you're arguing with someone who hates religion and would take any chance they get to prove religion comparable to Hitler

31. ISO #31

I agree. I feel like that tone is a bit passive aggressive. Usually when people say that they're looking down on you and subtly implying implying they're better than you

32. ISO #32

I think some do. Not all, to be sure.
    Last edited by Oberon; June 12th, 2021 at 07:03 AM.

33. ISO #33

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Dunno it seems to me you're arguing with someone who hates religion and would take any chance they get to prove religion comparable to Hitler
    Lol what? I believe religion is 100% necessary for the word considering how many stupid people there are and how dangerous stupid people can be. Just wanted to clear up for MM that his new idol was a cunt

34. ISO #34

Lol what? I believe religion is 100% necessary for the word considering how many stupid people there are and how dangerous stupid people can be. Just wanted to clear up for MM that his new idol was a cunt
    Like Hitler was necessary you mean?

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

Quote Originally Posted by Frinckles View Post
    Why can't we shit on Taoism or Buddhism for a change? I don't want to be reincarnated, sounds dumb.
    Christianity has a wider social media presence.

38. ISO #38

Wouldn't people just find something else to create a power structure around instead of religion? You could argue that social power structures like LGBTQ+, nations or political party's function in similar ways to religions in multiple respects.

39. ISO #39

Wouldn't people just find something else to create a power structure around instead of religion? You could argue that social power structures like LGBTQ+, nations or political party's function in similar ways to religions in multiple respects.
    what? how would that create fear of what will happen when you die?

40. ISO #40

what? how would that create fear of what will happen when you die?
    I did not mean that at all. I was thinking about the obsessive grouping into ingroups and outgroups, the recruiting people to their group and spreading ideals, the power structures that then use them and come up with ways to justify that giving them money somehow translates to morality, Etc..

My point is that if religions did not exist the same social patterns exist in other forms. Sure we can say they justify thought process' that are more irrational but I think the last few years as polarization of information dissemination has increased so has the irrational beliefs justified by groups. Maybe it won't be long until religious zealots are hardly a subject of real worry as other groups become more radical.
    Last edited by Helz; June 12th, 2021 at 08:54 PM.

41. ISO #41

False, atheism has no doctrine.

There are people that live just, moral lives who are both religious and not religious. Likewise there are people that live amoral lives who are both religious and not religious. A person's faith or no faith does not determine nor influence their morality. Their decisions do.

I know plenty of people that are caring, loving, understanding and nonjudgmental who are devout believing members of a religion. And just as many who are fake, super judgmental, and bigoted. Likewise I know plenty who are caring, loving etc who used to be religious and are now atheist.

Religion has its pros and cons. Obviously there are going to be some good things that come of it. But it's influence IMO is a net negative. However my experience with religion is influenced by radical Mormonism; had I grown up in a predominantly Catholic society (such as in Colombia) where most of the people are religious but very casual about it, I probably wouldn't have as many problems with religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

42. ISO #42

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    False, atheism has no doctrine.
    Depends on how you want to qualify atheism. I have mentioned it a few times before but study many of the 'satanic' religions and you will come to find they are varying degrees of extremes nihilists and atheists. Their main goals are more focused on the deconstruction of religions and their influence on aspects of society than the existence of any real religion of their own.

43. ISO #43

Depends on how you want to qualify atheism. I have mentioned it a few times before but study many of the 'satanic' religions and you will come to find they are varying degrees of extremes nihilists and atheists. Their main goals are more focused on the deconstruction of religions and their influence on aspects of society than the existence of any real religion of their own.
    Atheism is the disbelief or lack of belief in any gods. Any organized groups that have agendas or motives can consist of atheists, but there still is no atheist doctrine.

One can be a Satanist and atheist and adhere to that Satanist doctrine, sure, but that's Satanist doctrine not atheist doctrine. Being an atheist doesn't automatically make one a Satanist. It's not like Christianity where in order to be defined a Christian you do have a minimum set of doctrine or beliefs that you must adhere to. A belief in Christ, for example. And then you have your many different Christian religions that have their differences, but still have that core Christian doctrine. Atheism at it's core is a disbelief in a god/gods. There's no core set of beliefs that you have to adhere to to be atheist.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

44. ISO #44

Certified banana moment. 2 posts in to coming back and the topic immediately shifts to satanism

45. ISO #45

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    Certified banana moment. 2 posts in to coming back and the topic immediately shifts to satanism
    He's right though. And frankly, I'm tired of the Pagan Wicca girls at my local mall wearing Nirvana shirts.
    (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)ﻭ 레드벨벳 ! ! ٩(♡ε♡ )۶

46. ISO #46

Quote Originally Posted by Frinckles View Post
    Why can't we shit on Taoism or Buddhism for a change? I don't want to be reincarnated, sounds dumb.
    You meant Hinduism.
    Buddhism is all about yoga, meditation and breathing techniques; though Buddha was originally Hindu.
    Taoism sounds more like philosophy tbh.

Or whatever was the religion of Native Americans, they had reincarnation too, right?

47. ISO #47

48. ISO #48

49. ISO #49

You accuse us of having religion. Why didn’t you use the word? Our kingdom is of this Galaxy.
    We do not have religion. We have history.

50. ISO #50

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Atheism is the disbelief or lack of belief in any gods. Any organized groups that have agendas or motives can consist of atheists, but there still is no atheist doctrine.

One can be a Satanist and atheist and adhere to that Satanist doctrine, sure, but that's Satanist doctrine not atheist doctrine. Being an atheist doesn't automatically make one a Satanist. It's not like Christianity where in order to be defined a Christian you do have a minimum set of doctrine or beliefs that you must adhere to. A belief in Christ, for example. And then you have your many different Christian religions that have their differences, but still have that core Christian doctrine. Atheism at it's core is a disbelief in a god/gods. There's no core set of beliefs that you have to adhere to to be atheist.
    I am not saying being an atheist makes someone a satanist. I am just pointing out there are chapters of athiests that operate under the banner of satanism to dismantle religious influence. I feel like arguing what qualifys as a 'core doctrine' is getting into semantics though. In your own statement there you said "Atheism at it's core is a disbelief in a god/gods."

Honestly you could draw many significant parallels between atheism and religions. Its a belief structure with some more zealous and involved than others and with many groups that advocate to push their ideology. Some even form a sort of anti-religion religion which functions... as a religion.