Do Admins actually play arcade?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. ISO #1

Do Admins actually play arcade?

I was warned for racism because my name was "money grubbing jew" and I said "kike". Others are being banned for racism too. So I ask the question, do admin actually play Arcade? I don't mean every once in a while.. but do they actually play? It takes FOREVER to get a game started. This arcade game is pretty much dead and relies heavily on regulars to get games going... and so you think its a good idea to thin the already barebones community because people say words you don't like? Doesn't seem too smart. Maybe admins should actually play the game sometimes and see how hard it is to get a game started, then maybe you would think twice before banning people for saying naughty words.

MrMostache knows, I see him in lobbies often, waiting patiently with the rest of us, sometimes up to 30 minutes... but the rest of the admins in here, I'm not too sure about.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Re: Do Admins actually play arcade?

I think its a valid question.

Although 'Do they play' may not be the actual question but rather what should be moderated.

Cost/Benifit

Having racist humor drives away new players and longevity of the game while eliminating regulars for the same actions hurts games.

Is the goal of moderation to ensure game quantity or quality? What level of morality is acceptable for a trade off? How much of the player base is totally cool with racism?

I dont think these questions were really asked but they would be good topics of discussion for the community if they really want this issue addressed so moderation could follow the community's desire.

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Veliaire View Post
    So knowing how hard it is to get a game started most days, why are you banning people for speech? I don't get that. Why have a mute function if you are just going to ban people for saying stuff you don't like?
    Letting griefers and game ruiners stick around just cuz you need players doesn't make for a good game.

Jeebus.
    Last edited by Renegade; June 7th, 2021 at 07:42 PM.

7. ISO #7

So knowing how hard it is to get a game started most days, why are you banning people for speech? I don't get that. Why have a mute function if you are just going to ban people for saying stuff you don't like?
    You don’t appear to have been banned. A main goal of moderation is rehabilitation, not removing people Willy nilly.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

8. ISO #8

For my personal opinion its a social game. Speech is just about all there is. I think its less about banning people for saying things you do not agree with and more about creating an inclusive environment community. There are many controversial views in this world and there are places where its appropriate to discuss them. Maybe you should chill on your anti-Semitism or political nonsense in a video game and instead embrace enjoying the game with other people.

If you are not playing to bond with other people and enjoy a mutually pleasurable experience you may have picked the wrong game.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    You don’t appear to have been banned. A main goal of moderation is rehabilitation, not removing people Willy nilly.
    No, I'm not banned. I logged in today to find out I was warned for racism. So I got on to forums to see what it was all about, and after I submitted my appeal I decided to see all the recent bannings and noticed a couple of people were banned for racism. So I thought I'd give my view about what I think of censorship.

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    For my personal opinion its a social game. Speech is just about all there is. I think its less about banning people for saying things you do not agree with and more about creating an inclusive environment community. There are many controversial views in this world and there are places where its appropriate to discuss them. Maybe you should chill on your anti-Semitism or political nonsense in a video game and instead embrace enjoying the game with other people.

If you are not playing to bond with other people and enjoy a mutually pleasurable experience you may have picked the wrong game.
    You're right, speech is all we have. Telling people what they can't say is not being inclusive, its forcing your own world view on them. If someone doesn't like what I say, that's there is a -mute feature.

And how I enjoy my games is my own business. I don't play this to "bond" with anyone. I have real friends for that. I play this game to deceive people and win, which is the entire point of the game.

11. ISO #11

You're right, speech is all we have. Telling people what they can't say is not being inclusive, its forcing your own world view on them. If someone doesn't like what I say, that's there is a -mute feature.

And how I enjoy my games is my own business. I don't play this to "bond" with anyone. I have real friends for that. I play this game to deceive people and win, which is the entire point of the game.
    Just curious

Do you think there is no problem in expressing profanity? How about Racism? How about Sexism? How about Pedophilia? How about genocide? How about Rape? How about sharing how to kill people? How about saying things to instigate panic to hurt large groups of people? How about assonating a president? How about building bombs? How about how to wage biological warfare? How about creating nuclear weapons?

Where should the line of free speech be drawn? Or should I be free as an explosive expert from the Marines to share my knowledge in bomb building to kill people I don't like with impunity? How about someone with the knowledge of how to build a nuke or wage biological warfare? The line has to be drawn somewhere imo and yes I am taking this to an extreme but its because the question you are asking is one of a spectrum while you are phrasing it as 'If'

And where should that line be drawn in a video game where people simply come together to have an enjoyable social experience. Sure we all want to win but there is a reason pretty much every large multiplayer platform bans acts like real life threats. There are moral and ethical lines that can be violated and you getting a warning here is an example of that.

At the same time I have made some effort to ask the questions behind what you claim to want to the community, as well as some very pertinent ones to challenge your personal belief structure.

12. ISO #12

Just curious

Do you think there is no problem in expressing profanity? How about Racism? How about Sexism? How about Pedophilia? How about genocide? How about Rape? How about sharing how to kill people? How about saying things to instigate panic to hurt large groups of people? How about assonating a president? How about building bombs? How about how to wage biological warfare? How about creating nuclear weapons?

Where should the line of free speech be drawn?
    Free speech should be drawn at the law. Profanity, Racism, Sexism, is not illegal. Pedophilia, Genocide, and Rape are illegal.

I don't look to internet chat spaces or video games to teach me what I should or shouldn't say. If you want a sterilized gaming experience that is disconnected from real life, then maybe don't play with other people? Or at the very least, don't play a multi player game that relies on communication. Or do, and simply mute the person who is saying naughty words you don't like. It's that simple!

13. ISO #13

Free speech should be drawn at the law. Profanity, Racism, Sexism, is not illegal. Pedophilia, Genocide, and Rape are illegal.

I don't look to internet chat spaces or video games to teach me what I should or shouldn't say. If you want a sterilized gaming experience that is disconnected from real life, then maybe don't play with other people? Or at the very least, don't play a multi player game that relies on communication. Or do, and simply mute the person who is saying naughty words you don't like. It's that simple!
    Actually Speech about Profanity, Racism, Sexism, Pedophilia, Genocide, and Rape are not illegal.

And if we are going to establish legality for the guide line for whats ok in social interactions it would be totally fine for me to say.. befriend you then bang your wife. Or maybe gain your trust financially then get you to give you all your money. These are the founding ethics a good community should be built on in your opinion?

14. ISO #14

Actually Speech about Profanity, Racism, Sexism, Pedophilia, Genocide, and Rape are not illegal.

And if we are going to establish legality for the guide line for whats ok in social interactions it would be totally fine for me to say.. befriend you then bang your wife. Or maybe gain your trust financially then get you to give you all your money. These are the founding ethics a good community should be built on in your opinion?
    What kind of social interactions are acceptable varies between social circles. One should always choose one's friends wisely. We shouldn't be looking for big tech and its moderators to tell us what is ethical and how we should be behaving.

I am reminded of all those YouTube/Twitter accounts that were banned for spreading misinformation about Covid, only to find out months later that they were right.

Free Speech is the most important thing we have. It supersedes what you think is ethical or moral, or socially acceptable.

15. ISO #15

What kind of social interactions are acceptable varies between social circles. One should always choose one's friends wisely. We shouldn't be looking for big tech and its moderators to tell us what is ethical and how we should be behaving.

I am reminded of all those YouTube/Twitter accounts that were banned for spreading misinformation about Covid, only to find out months later that they were right.

Free Speech is the most important thing we have. It supersedes what you think is ethical or moral, or socially acceptable.
    I agree with everything you said here.

But you still have not declared your moral line. It sounds like you are agreeing with me that morality, community management and legality are not things on equal terms and that subjective morality should determine the limitations on free speech that a community sets on itself. So unless I have not read you correctly where are yours? Where do you feel its appropriate for us to draw the line on contentious subjects to protect free speech while also protecting the community?

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

The mute function really only applies to dead chat. You can’t exactly play this game with people muted when you’re both alive. It’s a dumb thing to anchor your argument on.

Secondly, would blizzard mute and or ban your account for your ‘free speech’? Since we know the answer is yes, half your argument is obviously moot and the assumption is you think sc2mafia should ignore that because it’s in desperate need of players. But
    1) since these punishments started, activity in the mod has notably increased
    2) again the goal of moderation is rehabilitation. Hence a WL. 90% of people are going to get the message and just adjust their behavior. Of those who refuse, then the punishment is naturally going to escalate but even then there would still be temporary ban lists before anything is permanent. Even people who keep offending to the point of a permaban are usually given an appeal if they seem to genuinely want to cooperate. So I don’t really buy the argument of this reducing the playerbase or making it harder to fill games. Is it really that hard to ask not to spam about “money-grubbing jews” which is clearly not a political statement but a racist one?

Edit: and when you choose the name before roles are even decided, I don’t think it can be claimed that it’s just for vet bait either…
    Last edited by DJarJar; June 7th, 2021 at 08:58 PM.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

18. ISO #18

But you still have not declared your moral line. It sounds like you are agreeing with me that morality, community management and legality are not things on equal terms and that subjective morality should determine the limitations on free speech that a community sets on itself. So unless I have not read you correctly where are yours? Where do you feel its appropriate for us to draw the line on contentious subjects to protect free speech while also protecting the community?
    Let me put it this way, I think anti-cyberbullying laws are unconstitutional. People should be allowed to say whatever they want online, no matter how offensive. It is up to us, as individuals, to filter out what we don't want to hear. This game has a -mute feature that I use myself when someone is spamming... but I never use for stuff like racism because who cares? Seriously. They are just words. My parents told me not to let words hurt me when I was a toddler. More people should take that approach these days instead of reporting everything someone says that hurts their feelings.

Also that last line about protecting the community I disagree with. I think censorship hurts the community, not protects it.

19. ISO #19

Let me put it this way, I think anti-cyberbullying laws are unconstitutional. People should be allowed to say whatever they want online, no matter how offensive. It is up to us, as individuals, to filter out what we don't want to hear. This game has a -mute feature that I use myself when someone is spamming... but I never use for stuff like racism because who cares? Seriously. They are just words. My parents told me not to let words hurt me when I was a toddler. More people should take that approach these days instead of reporting everything someone says that hurts their feelings.

Also that last line about protecting the community I disagree with. I think censorship hurts the community, not protects it.
    That is what the sc2maf community is doing lmfaooooo

20. ISO #20

Secondly, would blizzard mute and or ban your account for your ‘free speech’? Since we know the answer is yes, half your argument is obviously moot and the assumption is you think sc2mafia should ignore that because it’s in desperate need of players.
    Funny. I recall not too long ago, someone complaining about Cute's racism and I believe it was you who said that it wasn't the mod's job to censor and that it was Blizzard's job.. and now you're saying the exact opposite. What changed?

1) since these punishments started, activity in the mod has notably increased
    I play this game all the time and I don't see that... which is why I asked if any of you admins play arcade. It takes forever for games to get started, even on weekends.

2) again the goal of moderation is rehabilitation. Hence a WL. 90% of people are going to get the message and just adjust their behavior. Of those who refuse, then the punishment is naturally going to escalate but even then there would still be temporary ban lists before anything is permanent. Even people who keep offending to the point of a permaban are usually given an appeal if they seem to genuinely want to cooperate.

So I don’t really buy the argument of this reducing the playerbase or making it harder to fill games. Is it really that hard to ask not to spam about “money-grubbing jews” which is clearly not a political statement but a racist one?
    You wouldn't because you hardly play. We've played 50 games together, but I've been playing this for years and have thousands of games played. I am telling you that games take forever to get started. I often have to wait 15, 20 minutes. Take the feedback or ignore it and call me a liar.

Edit: and when you choose the name before roles are even decided, I don’t think it can be claimed that it’s just for vet bait either…
    I prefer Veteran. Its one of the 4 roles I prefer regularly... along with Jester and Executioner --- both roles that might require me to get lynched. Having a name like Money Grubbing Jew helps with that.

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

While I do agree with you that a heavy amount of the 'kid gloves' mentality in our society is bad social structures depend on establishing norms and there is little more in this life that matters more than words simply because they convey ideas, beliefs, and loyalty's. You can say 'sticks and stones' but if your mother and father said they hated you and you only live because your abortion failed as a child it probably would have hurt you.

I bet if I spoke words of desire to rape, torture, and murder your family while I lived next door you would probably take issue and demand some level of protection because those words were threatening to you and the lives of those you cared about. If you accept such spoken words would be threatening to you how can you dissociate such direct threats and the reaction they generate (followed by the protection they are given by a community) from the indirect implications that are given with racism to individuals who's families have experienced literal genocide? Sure, The threat provided would be more substantial but the personal experience that it would be executed would be much less justified.

Would you feel protected by being able to 'mute' someone you felt threatened you and your loved ones? Would you be ok with someone say.. Reveling your personal address right now as you speak and declaring a racist lived at that location to a large group of people? Those are just words after all.

Also, we are talking about your personal beliefs here. If you hear the greater community takes issue with such behavior would you be willing to change your behavior to conform to social norms instead of blaming the enforcing power structure of a community?

23. ISO #23

Cute was banned nearly a whole year ago, and I’ve played thousands of games too. Do you have a point of some kind?
    And the fact that he was banned nearly a year ago is supposed to mean something? Or is supposed to have any relevance to what I said? If you need it broken down for you to understand better, my point is that you flip flopped on the issue.

Also, if you played often you'd know how long the wait times are to get a game started. If you use the same name in game as you do on here, I haven't seen you in an arcade game in a long time.

24. ISO #24

While I do agree with you that a heavy amount of the 'kid gloves' mentality in our society is bad social structures depend on establishing norms and there is little more in this life that matters more than words simply because they convey ideas, beliefs, and loyalty's. You can say 'sticks and stones' but if your mother and father said they hated you and you only live because your abortion failed as a child it probably would have hurt you.
    If you let complete stranger's words on the internet have as much power over you as your mother's then you've got bigger problems than can be addressed by censorship.

I bet if I spoke words of desire to rape, torture, and murder your family while I lived next door you would probably take issue and demand some level of protection because those words were threatening to you and the lives of those you cared about. If you accept such spoken words would be threatening to you how can you dissociate such direct threats and the reaction they generate (followed by the protection they are given by a community) from the indirect implications that are given with racism to individuals who's families have experienced literal genocide? Sure, The threat provided would be more substantial but the personal experience that it would be executed would be much less justified.
    Are you really comparing the words of an anonymous person online who has no idea who you are and where you live with someone who lives right next door to you? Not all things are equal. A complete stranger talking crap online is not the same as your next door neighbor threatening to kill your family. No rational person would think they are either.

Would you feel protected by being able to 'mute' someone you felt threatened you and your loved ones? Would you be ok with someone say.. Reveling your personal address right now as you speak and declaring a racist lived at that location to a large group of people? Those are just words after all.
    What you've described is doxing, which is a crime and not protected speech... and I don't need to be "protected" from speech. If someone feels the need to tell me they want to kill me and my family, I have to admit I laugh. Empty threats from someone who I've triggered make me laugh.. but yes, I have muted people before for spamming me. That's just annoying.

Also, we are talking about your personal beliefs here. If you hear the greater community takes issue with such behavior would you be willing to change your behavior to conform to social norms instead of blaming the enforcing power structure of a community?
    I'm gonna say what I want when I want. The only reason I play this game instead of Town of Salem is because it isn't policed by Nazis.. or at least it wasn't, before. If it gets to the point where I am getting banned for my speech then I might as well play a game that doesn't take 20 minutes to get started. Hell, I've already paid for Town of Salem so I might as well play it.
    Last edited by Veliaire; June 7th, 2021 at 09:43 PM.

25. ISO #25

If you let complete stranger's words on the internet have as much power over you as your mother's then you've got bigger problems than can be addressed by censorship.
    I do agree, But this is totally erroneous to your point and my counter that words do not matter or that they only hurt people if they choose to allow them to do so. Words very much can and do hurt and while I absolutely agree with you on your previous point of (insinuated) thick skin being a good thing I also feel like your point I was responding to here that words can't hurt is either contrived or dumb. This is underscored by your own point in the next statement:

Are you really comparing the words of an anonymous person online who has no idea who you are and where you live with someone who lives right next door to you? Not all things are equal. A complete stranger talking crap online is not the same as your next door neighbor threatening to kill your family. No rational person would think they are either.
    So as I was pushing earlier lines must be established and those lines must be interpreted by the feelings of the receiver.
    And trust me, I am one hell of an advocate for how people present themselves as victims to weaponize social structures against people they have problems with. I take a lot of shit for that. But I do feel my logic is sound and your words reflect agreement with my position in spite of the obvious exploit I am confident we both also share in our thoughts.

What you've described is doxing, which is a crime and not protected speech... and I don't need to be "protected" from speech. If someone feels the need to tell me they want to kill me and my family, I have to admit I laugh. Empty threats from someone who I've triggered make me laugh.. but yes, I have muted people before for spamming me. That's just annoying.
    Fair point. I legit muted some people who gave me death threats in the past but I honestly just did not think you had the balls to be the same.

I'm gonna say what I want when I want. The only reason I play this game instead of Town of Salem is because it isn't policed by Nazis.. or at least it wasn't, before. If it gets to the point where I am getting banned for my speech then I might as well play a game that doesn't take 20 minutes to get started. Hell, I've already paid for it so I might as well play it.
    All I can say here is you do you. I personally do not believe any social function of scale can exist without some level of moderation. If you want to simultaneously crack Jew jokes and call the people fighting against them Nazis its a bit....

(You finish this statement and understand what I am thinking behind my keyboard)

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

All I can say here is you do you. I personally do not believe any social function of scale can exist without some level of moderation. If you want to simultaneously crack Jew jokes and call the people fighting against them Nazis its a bit....

(You finish this statement and understand what I am thinking behind my keyboard)
    Half of it is cracking jokes, but it comes from recent world events. I happen to believe that Israelis are modern day Nazis for what they are doing in Gaza and the West Bank and I wont be bullied by the PC police into staying silent.

29. ISO #29

Half of it is cracking jokes, but it comes from recent world events. I happen to believe that Israelis are modern day Nazis for what they are doing in Gaza and the West Bank and I wont be bullied by the PC police into staying silent.
    I kinda feel like you are just saying this to close out a bunch of conversations you started but do not want to continue but its ok. I hope you reflect on some of the the ways I have challenged your belief systems and do not just invalidate them. I do feel that continuing the thought processes associated with a number of the positions you expressed could draw out some growth as a person even if it is not in a direction we both agree with.
    Last edited by Helz; June 7th, 2021 at 11:26 PM.

30. ISO #30

If you honestly believe that shit then you're just a dumbass. No offense.

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

iirc more ppl started playing, at least temporarily, when admins recently handed out those bans for racism. mafia got to top 10 for the first time in years.

there are ppl who don't play bc of all the hate speech in the mod, whether it's actually meant or not.

ozy and i are currently off the mod bc of it. also, someone just made a thread which said this game has a real problem with racism. i assume they stopped playing, bc ppl are still spamming a lot of dumb shit

33. ISO #33

by spamming what you spam, you're forcing your own worldview, which is that saying "gas all jews" is acceptable, on other people.

"force" is a strong word here. mods aren't forcing you what to believe by warning you. you're not forcing me to think anti-semitism is okay by spamming "gas all jews." for that reason, i think "influence" is a better word.

i understand the appeal of social ignorance and that what u say in a video game has VERY VERY little impact, but it's just not cool to say things like that. mods don't warn you bc they've something personal against you. they just saw a lot of reports on racism (a group of people have spoken, even if you don't agree with them) and decided to simply file the reports.

personally, i don't understand why ppl have to say the n-word or other things to troll. UWOWU HEWWO!!! is a much better alternative. i don't think every conservative is evil, but the current trend towards eliminating racism in this game and real world isn't bad.

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

This made me realize something:
    While Parasite Zeta/Chaos have more toxic communities than Sc2 Mafia, I didn't notice any racism while playing their games.

So I went to their discord to see if they punish for racism, and it turned out they actually did. Note that Parasite is slightly more active than Sc2 Mafia.
    Last edited by MrMostache; June 8th, 2021 at 04:41 AM.
    I have no use for these bloodless minnows. Bring me a prey that will sate my bloodlust. I hunger.

36. ISO #36

Quote Originally Posted by MrMostache View Post
    This made me realize something:
    While Parasite Zeta/Chaos have more toxic communities than Sc2 Mafia, I didn't notice any racism while playing their games.

So I went to their discord to see if they punish for racism, and it turned out they actually did. Note that Parasite is slightly more active than Sc2 Mafia.
    yes, u can be toxic without being raicst!

37. ISO #37

38. ISO #38

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    iirc more ppl started playing, at least temporarily, when admins recently handed out those bans for racism. mafia got to top 10 for the first time in years.

there are ppl who don't play bc of all the hate speech in the mod, whether it's actually meant or not.

ozy and i are currently off the mod bc of it. also, someone just made a thread which said this game has a real problem with racism. i assume they stopped playing, bc ppl are still spamming a lot of dumb shit
    @Veliaire

So far expressed opinions reflect that a change in your behavior would equate lower lobby wait times instead of a change in moderators behavior towards 'censorship.'

I can also say I stepped away from playing the mod a year or two back simply because I stopped enjoying the 'culture' I was playing in. There was just too many people spamming offensive things for some sort of shock value. I am curious to see what the rest of the community has to say on the subject.

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

by allowing Profanity, Racism, Sexism, Pedophilia, Genocide, and Rape speech to run rampant, you're baring individuals that are affected by those publicly immoralalities from play or at least enjoying the game.

it hurts -others-. but, not using that speech -does not hurt you-

there really is no legit excuse to complain about other than a desire to abuse being denied (only admins and mods may abuse, sarc)
    Last edited by Apocist; June 8th, 2021 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

41. ISO #41

42. ISO #42

43. ISO #43

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    You ppl and ur fake problems lol
    You should try putting yourself in other peoples shoes sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

44. ISO #44

45. ISO #45

46. ISO #46

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I remember someone in a -Mafia- game once saying that that they're black and that they find some of the racist jokes funny. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I’ve seen more people complain about than people who find it entertaining. I don’t remember a mafia game I’ve enjoyed that had racism in it.
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

47. ISO #47

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    He's referring to OP.
    Are you sure?

48. ISO #48

I kinda feel like you are just saying this to close out a bunch of conversations you started but do not want to continue but its ok.
    Did you want to argue all night about it? I mean, I have my position and you have yours and its clear neither of us intend to change. So what would be the point?

49. ISO #49

I remember someone in a -Mafia- game once saying that that they're black and that they find some of the racist jokes funny. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Yeah same. I'm female and I think some misogynistic jokes are hilarious sometimes.

FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

50. ISO #50

@Veliaire
    I recently made a post showing how this change came to be, if you're interested:
    Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    since when was racism considered a bannable offense?? there are racists all the time in this game.
    It wasn't until recently, and technically still kinda isn't but kinda is.
    There was a case recently that was so extreme, it was completely justified and largely supported:
    https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showt...light=10478739

It's the gateway case. After that, the mods punish the use of bad language much more freely.

Things change dude. Before that 'gateway case' the community consensus was that this sort of thing sucks but ain't nothing can be done because it's not against the rules technically. (it is now though, at least @aamirus added some example of it in the list of bannable offenses)
    After that case, the community supports the mods taking action against it for the most part; there are exceptions people though.

People's opinions before the 'gateway case':
    https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showt...ns-about-Names

People's opinions after the 'gateway case':
    https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showt...es-this-again)
    That one thread was before the change and the other was after it - this one, yours, is still a continuation of process and people catching up.

Btw, my post that I quoted - it's just paraphrasing what aamirus has said in that one thread:
    Excessive spam has always been reportable under griefing. The only real change recently is adding names like "I RAPE YOUR 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER" and "ALL NIGGERS MUST DIE" to name abuse.
    Weird question perhaps, but how did that change happen?
    https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showt...light=10478739