random FM poll
Register

User Tag List

View Poll Results: When you inform people of your scumreads, would you prefer the scumreads themselves to:

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Feel attacked. (emotional pressure)

7 53.85%
  • Feel relaxed.

3 23.08%
  • Other. (comments)

4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: random FM poll

1. ISO #1

random FM poll

I feel like most of the FM world have evolved towards playing the game in as a calm, gentle and friendly fashion as possible. I just don't see that kind of deliberate emotional pressure that Distorted brought to people years back when I first started playing.

So too are fake claim gambits just a SC2Mafia thing, where people try to catch the scum offguard.

Probably emotional pressure is good for scumhunting. Probably staying friendly is good for community. But how essential are they? How detrimental are they to the other?

2. ISO #2

Re: random FM poll

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I feel like most of the FM world have evolved towards playing the game in as a calm, gentle and friendly fashion as possible. I just don't see that kind of deliberate emotional pressure that Distorted brought to people years back when I first started playing.

So too are fake claim gambits just a SC2Mafia thing, where people try to catch the scum offguard.

Probably emotional pressure is good for scumhunting. Probably staying friendly is good for community. But how essential are they? How detrimental are they to the other?
    Okay so here's my POV on this

If you go hard enough to make someone an angry town, they will likely OMGUS you and further get themselves scumread

However if you notify someone that they are scumread by you and get them to explain the stuff that made you scumread them, there is a higher chance of them being able to clear it up especially if they are town. Not saying emotional pressure isn't good, but it is more prone to make town make mistakes.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

I think it depends on the person. I don’t think anyone would consider me “friendly” in an FM game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

6. ISO #6

Emotional pressure is not something I'm comfortable applying, both because I feel bad manipulating people and because it tends to create sad TvT situations that severely harm town. If your scumread feels the pressure without straight up feeling emotionally attacked, he will give the most precious information imo, because the associations easily come into play, since the scumread's play is rational and usually calculated.

MM's favorite berries are Dangle Berries covered In Mucus.
    I confirm
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Emotional pressure is not something I'm comfortable applying, both because I feel bad manipulating people and because it tends to create sad TvT situations that severely harm town. If your scumread feels the pressure without straight up feeling emotionally attacked, he will give the most precious information imo, because the associations easily come into play, since the scumread's play is rational and usually calculated.

I confirm
    I strongly disagree. Take a look at previous FM games on this site from around the time we started playing. It’s easier to catch scum when you’re putting pressure on everyone. As to the TvT comment, TvT battles, when both parties pressure each other, are strong sources of reads. True TvT battles tend to be very harsh and personal.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I strongly disagree. Take a look at previous FM games on this site from around the time we started playing. It’s easier to catch scum when you’re putting pressure on everyone. As to the TvT comment, TvT battles, when both parties pressure each other, are strong sources of reads. True TvT battles tend to be very harsh and personal.
    I read people better than I did back then lol, so nah
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

I think it’s highly situational. Sometimes it’s good to apply pressure both to get reactions out of the target as well as to draw attention to the target. At the same time I more often try to explain my reasoning because every bit as much as giving a read is to push your perspective to the town it’s also to allow other players to read you. Making people feel ‘attacked’ sounds like it’s not even game/slot directed and I have often seen pushes break down into ego fights because someone came at someone else sideways.

I would probably ramble more in depth if I was not exhausted and posting from a phone but I feel like there is a time to sift through your reads and a time to apply pressure. Think about what you are attempting to accomplish with your scum read before positioning it so you can achieve the desired result.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

Which is why nobody is as good as he is.
    Tbf, the actual method how he done it was to Gish Gallop reasons for why someone is scum.
    It being an eristic technique is inherently scummy.
    To quote MM:
    The fact it's an eristic technique is enough to make it scummy or at least somewhat suspicious to use in Mafia, though. At some point, people started actually scumreading Disto and Blink for doing that, so the strategy significantly lost of its efficiency. Trap avoided!

18. ISO #18

You need to read into players' emotional state. It's hard to gauge someone's alignment merely from what they're doing in the thread. And I don't agree Distorted was Gish galloping as Town. Almost every time he did that he was scum. He would hit you with a flurry of arguments that he considered to be correct, if he scumread you and he was town. But he never lied about reads when making a serious push at someone.

He would sometimes throw random shit your way if he was trying to figure out your alignment, but it was never as intense as when he scum painted ppl as Mafia.

19. ISO #19

I'm also not sure if MM realises that when a scum is Gish-galloping they no longer care about being townread. You can be scummy af and yet still push a Lynch even with people mistrusting you if you push it hard enough and don't relent to explain yourself. In fact, even with a good argument, if you keep doubting yourself and people aren't reading, they will likely sooner listen to the more aggressive, assertive person, even if they find them objectively scummy.

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

most of the time I expect scumreads to react to it especially if they're invested into the game

bc if I'm town and their town then we gotta work together to find eachother

though I think it can be more nuanced than this

it doesn't have to be anger though or big appeals-to-emotions; just something to see they took note of it and are adjusting accordingly to help me find them town and my reads will further develop one way or another based on that

seeing relaxation or ignorance generally is a problem for me unless its very early game or they have the sort-of player archetype to support that response or play; otherwise imo they're just ignoring it because they either

1) Don't find it important to correct me
    2) Are hoping relaxation and that "a wolf wouldn't do this" will save them
    2b) Don't think they can convince me or something
    Last edited by MartinGG99; June 23rd, 2021 at 08:48 AM.
    A.K.A "That One Idiot"

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

You need to read into players' emotional state. It's hard to gauge someone's alignment merely from what they're doing in the thread. And I don't agree Distorted was Gish galloping as Town. Almost every time he did that he was scum. He would hit you with a flurry of arguments that he considered to be correct, if he scumread you and he was town. But he never lied about reads when making a serious push at someone.

He would sometimes throw random shit your way if he was trying to figure out your alignment, but it was never as intense as when he scum painted ppl as Mafia.
    Three words.

Black
    Flag
    Nightless

Remember the crazy TvT fight I had with him in which I deliberately tunneled him (and stopped later so that we could actually win)? We were scumpainting eachother like crazy lol, and he was town. I think that was your first FM game ever, actually ^^

26. ISO #26

Three words.

Black
    Flag
    Nightless

Remember the crazy TvT fight I had with him in which I deliberately tunneled him (and stopped later so that we could actually win)? We were scumpainting eachother like crazy lol, and he was town. I think that was your first FM game ever, actually ^^
    Yeah but he genuinely believed you were evil.

27. ISO #27

Yeah but he genuinely believed you were evil.
    Yes, but that's past the point: he was town, yet he pressured and gish-gallopped like crazy. My gambit was really weird in hindsight, and I think it worked only because we all were more or less new and because we were really chaotic players.

28. ISO #28

Yes, but that's past the point: he was town, yet he pressured and gish-gallopped like crazy. My gambit was really weird in hindsight, and I think it worked only because we all were more or less new and because we were really chaotic players.
    I dare say it worked by because 2 out of 3 mafias were completely new players who got frozen; one of which hard bussed the other unnecessarily, after which he subbed out. Tbh, I wouldn't know what to do today either. But I would had felt good about the credit I gained from the hard bus I guess.

Whatever happend to Ratatoskr btw? He was so good I think. Is he Frinckles? Feels like Frinckles is him idk why.

29. ISO #29

No lol it's exactly the point: Gish-galloping is throwing nonsense you don't even believe in. In his mind it was not nonsense, no more than the accusations I throw in the mod at people are nonsense. there's a huge difference between Gish-galloping (which is scumpainting done right) and scumreading someone.

30. ISO #30

I dare say it worked by because 2 out of 3 mafias were completely new players who got frozen; one of which hard bussed the other unnecessarily, after which he subbed out. Tbh, I wouldn't know what to do today either. But I would had felt good about the credit I gained from the hard bus I guess.

Whatever happend to Ratatoskr btw? He was so good I think. Is he Frinckles? Feels like Frinckles is him idk why.
    Ratatoskr is... a weird person. No, Frinckles is not Ratatoskr. Let's just leave it at "weird". It's a relatively long story what happened to him. Suffice it to say he no longer liked Skwirl and left.

31. ISO #31

No lol it's exactly the point: Gish-galloping is throwing nonsense you don't even believe in. In his mind it was not nonsense, no more than the accusations I throw in the mod at people are nonsense. there's a huge difference between Gish-galloping (which is scumpainting done right) and scumreading someone.
    Wasn't it just about throwing immense amounts of arguments (good or not) to overload others?