Perverse incentive in sports
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Perverse incentive in sports

In Australia the NRL (National Rugby League) is currently in rather controversial waters. The game over the past years has gotten harsher on excessive forceful contact and other infringements. The example I will be putting forward will be on the excessive forceful contact aspect. Back in 2012, the shoulder charge was banned. What is a shoulder charge? It's when a player leads with their should to make a tackle and makes first contact with it. Examples here, here and a very sad story of one here. This one is a no brainer, this tactic has so much force it killed a man by rupturing an artery. Next came the "crusher" tackle infringement. This is when a player puts pressure on the neck of another player when making a tackle, example here. This one is also fair because a player a few years ago became quadriplegic after being tackled with forceful pressure on the back of the neck. These crackdowns are all fair and I personally have no issue with it, but this crackdown as eventually ended up to the current fiasco plaguing the game.

Now ANY forceful contact to the head is immediately put on report (the player goes in front of a judiciary and can be penalized with a fine and/or match bans) and the player is sent to the bin (10 minute timeout). Seems like just another safety measure to save lives/quality of lives right? Not exactly. Currently the NRL season is in it's Magic Round where all weekly games are played relatively close after each other at the same stadium, so it's a big event with a lot of eyes on it. There has been rumbling of officials about to crack down hard on excessive force after a recent fiasco where they turned a blind eye to obvious infringements, resulting in the standing down of the officials of that game. In the previous linked video, there is two infringements. First one is the contact with the head and the second one is leading with the knees. Important to remember that first player who was the victim of the first infringement of being hit in the head. A debate took place on a footy talk show about this incident where a presenter put forward that the players running style itself is the issue, not the contact with the head. A very good point.

Now back to the Magic Round, after officials have announced that ANY forceful contact with the head results in being put on report and put in the bin.

The Official Magic Round Sin Bin Counter (10 minute timeout)

1. Tex Hoy
    2. Joe Ofahengaue
    3. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
    4. Moses Mbye
    5. Tyson Gamble
    6. Jordan Riki
    7. Josh Schuster
    8. Lachlan Croker
    9. Jack Wighton
    10. Jaydn Su'A
    11. Sitili Tupouniua
    12. Lachlan Burr

The Official Magic Round Send Off Counter (Player sent off for entire game)

1. Josh Papalii

Only 5 out of 8 games has been played in total. Safe to say, the crackdown is in effect. But number #12 for the sin bin counter is what I want to focus on. Remember the video I linked where refs turned a blind eye and a talk show debate happened? Low and behold, the same player who was being discussed is involved in this fiasco as well. Here a player is sent off for forceful contact with the head. Look at how low he gets himself, falling into a tackle which with this crackdown, obviously results in a player being sent off thus gaining an advantage. Was it intentional? Probably not, I doubt someone intentionally wants to get decapitated, but the onus is completely on the ball carrier for this high contact. Other people have put it rather comically,

"Just discovered a brand new winning strategy. All players on attack must bear crawl at all times. No tackles allowed. Guaranteed tries."
    "the irony will be that the number of head injuries will increase as teams realize that ducking your head into cunts shoulders is a legitimate tactic"
    "for real though what is stopping sides training their players to make contact with the opponents shoulder? lead with the head, free sin bin"

The game is now in state where it can reward players who put themselves in danger.

Anyway this is more of a rant on how shit the game currently is, but I am also curious of other scenarios where a sport rule implementation has had unintentional or controversial results.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: Perverse incentive in sports

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    In Australia the NRL (National Rugby League) is currently in rather controversial waters. The game over the past years has gotten harsher on excessive forceful contact and other infringements. The example I will be putting forward will be on the excessive forceful contact aspect. Back in 2012, the shoulder charge was banned. What is a shoulder charge? It's when a player leads with their should to make a tackle and makes first contact with it. Examples here, here and a very sad story of one here. This one is a no brainer, this tactic has so much force it killed a man by rupturing an artery. Next came the "crusher" tackle infringement. This is when a player puts pressure on the neck of another player when making a tackle, example here. This one is also fair because a player a few years ago became quadriplegic after being tackled with forceful pressure on the back of the neck. These crackdowns are all fair and I personally have no issue with it, but this crackdown as eventually ended up to the current fiasco plaguing the game.

Now ANY forceful contact to the head is immediately put on report (the player goes in front of a judiciary and can be penalized with a fine and/or match bans) and the player is sent to the bin (10 minute timeout). Seems like just another safety measure to save lives/quality of lives right? Not exactly. Currently the NRL season is in it's Magic Round where all weekly games are played relatively close after each other at the same stadium, so it's a big event with a lot of eyes on it. There has been rumbling of officials about to crack down hard on excessive force after a recent fiasco where they turned a blind eye to obvious infringements, resulting in the standing down of the officials of that game. In the previous linked video, there is two infringements. First one is the contact with the head and the second one is leading with the knees. Important to remember that first player who was the victim of the first infringement of being hit in the head. A debate took place on a footy talk show about this incident where a presenter put forward that the players running style itself is the issue, not the contact with the head. A very good point.

Now back to the Magic Round, after officials have announced that ANY forceful contact with the head results in being put on report and put in the bin.

The Official Magic Round Sin Bin Counter (10 minute timeout)

1. Tex Hoy
    2. Joe Ofahengaue
    3. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
    4. Moses Mbye
    5. Tyson Gamble
    6. Jordan Riki
    7. Josh Schuster
    8. Lachlan Croker
    9. Jack Wighton
    10. Jaydn Su'A
    11. Sitili Tupouniua
    12. Lachlan Burr

The Official Magic Round Send Off Counter (Player sent off for entire game)

1. Josh Papalii

Only 5 out of 8 games has been played in total. Safe to say, the crackdown is in effect. But number #12 for the sin bin counter is what I want to focus on. Remember the video I linked where refs turned a blind eye and a talk show debate happened? Low and behold, the same player who was being discussed is involved in this fiasco as well. Here a player is sent off for forceful contact with the head. Look at how low he gets himself, falling into a tackle which with this crackdown, obviously results in a player being sent off thus gaining an advantage. Was it intentional? Probably not, I doubt someone intentionally wants to get decapitated, but the onus is completely on the ball carrier for this high contact. Other people have put it rather comically,

"Just discovered a brand new winning strategy. All players on attack must bear crawl at all times. No tackles allowed. Guaranteed tries."
    "the irony will be that the number of head injuries will increase as teams realize that ducking your head into cunts shoulders is a legitimate tactic"
    "for real though what is stopping sides training their players to make contact with the opponents shoulder? lead with the head, free sin bin"

The game is now in state where it can reward players who put themselves in danger.

Anyway this is more of a rant on how shit the game currently is, but I am also curious of other scenarios where a sport rule implementation has had unintentional or controversial results.
    qut being soft, SMH.

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Usually part of this kind of rule is that the “victim” can’t intentionally try to get hit/must make some effort to avoid the contact. Did they not add a clause like that for this change in rugby?
    It's a zero tolerance policy kinda thing. No clause, ANY forceful contact with the head is an immediate send off hence a person getting sent off because another player fell head first into him. There will be something done regarding this rule though, too much negative publicity.

My team (who currently suck absolute ass currently) should just boot everyone and recruit a bunch of manlets tbh

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    It's a zero tolerance policy kinda thing. No clause, ANY forceful contact with the head is an immediate send off hence a person getting sent off because another player fell head first into him. There will be something done regarding this rule though, too much negative publicity.

My team (who currently suck absolute ass currently) should just boot everyone and recruit a bunch of manlets tbh
    It's one of those things where not even head protection would really help that either. In basketball you have things like clear path violations and charges to try to balance things out. How bad is flopping in rugby?

If someone were actually injured badly enough, I don't think they'd scamper back onto the field like that last video you posted. With an average weight of 230 freedom units a headfirst sprint into an elbow or shoulder should have one of two results, "ouch a lot", or you die so it's odd. You guys are crazy as hell.

Dont think taller players should suffer from these rulings.
    Last edited by Frinckles; May 18th, 2021 at 04:19 AM.
    (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)ﻭ 레드벨벳 ! ! ٩(♡ε♡ )۶

7. ISO #7