Quote Originally Posted by LagAttack View Post
I quickly wrote some python code to parse the 373 games I have played in since returning to SC2Mafia.

For simplicity I just calculated usages of the n-word - since almost every player that thinks racism is fun uses that slur often

For each player I played with I calculated:
  • The number of games I've played with them
  • The number of games in which they used the slur
  • The total number of times they used the slur

And for each game I counted the number of times the slur was used in the game.

Here are the results:
Game Statistics
  • 62.2% (232/373) games do not have the slur in them at all
  • 90.8% (339/373) games have the slur used 4 or less times in total among all players over the course of the game
  • Only 4.3% (16/373) games have the slur used more than 10 times in total

Player Statistics
  • 89.4% (693/775) of the players I've played with have literally NEVER used the word
  • 96.0% (744/775) of the players have used the word only 4 times or less over ALL games I've played with them
  • That bottom of the barrel 4.0% contributes 93.9% (1491/1588 ) of the usages of the word
  • When you filter out players whom I've played less than 5 games with, there are only 14 players who have used the word more than 10 times
  • These 14 "regulars" contribute 67.6% (1074/1588 ) of the usages usages of the word

Now this was just looking at a single (albeit by far the most common) slur - but all manners of slurs likely follow a very similar distribution.

SC2 Mafia's racism problems are NOT due to a widespread problem with the "culture" of the game. The problems are NOT due to new players or infrequent players that use the game as a playground to grief. The problems are created and perpetuated by a very small but very vocal group of regular players that push the idea that using slurs and casual racism is okay. It's not.

I've seen these people claim that "everyone" uses slurs or racism in mafia - so fighting the problem isn't possible. That's simply not true. The group that contribute the large majority of the problem isn't even large enough to fill a full 15 player lobby.
Impressive. The results run counter to my experience though, I'd be interested in running the script on my replays, I've got quite a few.