Song Request
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Song Request

1. ISO #1

Song Request

I think that the song "don't fear the reaper" is so enticing because it's parts where it sounds like one cuts off the other are very reminiscent of real life communication, which is rare for something that comes from the written text.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any other songs with such "cutting off" parts in them?

2. ISO #2

Re: Song Request

This actually really intruiged me. I don't get to do much song analysis these days. It caught my attention so much because it's right up my alley, so much so that I'm currently writing this instead as I go of choosing to go to bed. I'm choosing not to proofread this as I go. You're gonna get some snazzy ass live analysis.

Spoiler : basically not relevant at all but im not going to delete it because it's interesting :
    My first thought was "nah, that doesn't make sense." Don't Fear The Reaper has a very simple, repetitive melody. Aside from that one (sick) solo in the middle it's a very predictable song at an upbeat tempo. Easy to listen to, easy to picture in your mind. The sheet music I've found supports this. The backing track here is actually incredibly simple. The vocals a little bit less so, but they're not that difficult.

Then I started thinking about what songs I know are similar to this. And that's where my theory fell apart a little bit. One of my personal favorite songs, Mayday by Flobots does this too. It's not even my typical genre; I'm usually more of a metalhead. But the actual backing track is very easy to listen to, the vocals are interesting, and the chorus literally is two people talking over each other.

Then I thought, well, Don't Fear The Reaper has a very heavily syncopated rhythm in the vocals. The singer tends to interrupt himself on beat 2 of a measure, which is a weak beat. How is that reflected in Mayday? The answer is that it's not reflected at all. Lines start on beats 1 or 3 and last 2 beats. So, I guess they're snazzy for different reasons? What else fits this?

What if I look for similar patterns between a singer and an instrumentalist? What songs could mimic this type of cutting off pattern between voice + guitar, for instance? Octavarium's Panic Attack kind of does? (By the way, it's kind of a rule that everyone either has listened to this once or is going to listen to this once. Do your duty if you haven't already.) During the verses you have an action where the guitar is silencing the vocalist, but you're kind of pushing the envelope by considering this anything other than a call and response.

This type of cutting off is probably really popular in musical theatre, right? I'd have a more definitive answer to this question if it weren't 2 am.

Yep. It's all over the place.
    Here in Phantom of the Opera
    Here in Les Miserables
    The entire opening number of Into The Woods
    Jekyll and Hyde
    Literally all of Sunset Boulevard (Ozy, listen to this one in particular. It's exactly what you're talking about in the OP.)
    So I noticed it's not present in EVERY musical. But it IS in character driven musicals. I mean, you don't watch Phantom for the plot. The plot sucks. But I love it anyway because the Phantom himself is fucking awesome. So this is a technique that's used to create interesting characters.

I didn't find any scenes/couldn't think of any scenes like these in Chicago. Chicago in particular surprised me. Roxie kind of talks over Amos in Funny Honey but I don't think that counts. There also aren't any in Grease but Grease is fucking garbage so I'm not surprised.

So how does this tie back in to Don't Fear The Reaper? I guess my answer is that it makes the listener interested in what the vocalist has to say. So, yeah, you're right*!

*This only works because the instrumental track also slaps. If the backing track didn't work, it wouldn't matter at all.

Moral of the story: try musical theatre! It's good!

Good night.
    Last edited by Stealthbomber16; May 8th, 2021 at 12:26 AM. Reason: formatting
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    This actually really intruiged me. I don't get to do much song analysis these days. It caught my attention so much because it's right up my alley, so much so that I'm currently writing this instead as I go of choosing to go to bed. I'm choosing not to proofread this as I go. You're gonna get some snazzy ass live analysis.

Spoiler : basically not relevant at all but im not going to delete it because it's interesting :
    My first thought was "nah, that doesn't make sense." Don't Fear The Reaper has a very simple, repetitive melody. Aside from that one (sick) solo in the middle it's a very predictable song at an upbeat tempo. Easy to listen to, easy to picture in your mind. The sheet music I've found supports this. The backing track here is actually incredibly simple. The vocals a little bit less so, but they're not that difficult.

Then I started thinking about what songs I know are similar to this. And that's where my theory fell apart a little bit. One of my personal favorite songs, Mayday by Flobots does this too. It's not even my typical genre; I'm usually more of a metalhead. But the actual backing track is very easy to listen to, the vocals are interesting, and the chorus literally is two people talking over each other.

Then I thought, well, Don't Fear The Reaper has a very heavily syncopated rhythm in the vocals. The singer tends to interrupt himself on beat 2 of a measure, which is a weak beat. How is that reflected in Mayday? The answer is that it's not reflected at all. Lines start on beats 1 or 3 and last 2 beats. So, I guess they're snazzy for different reasons? What else fits this?

What if I look for similar patterns between a singer and an instrumentalist? What songs could mimic this type of cutting off pattern between voice + guitar, for instance? Octavarium's Panic Attack kind of does? (By the way, it's kind of a rule that everyone either has listened to this once or is going to listen to this once. Do your duty if you haven't already.) During the verses you have an action where the guitar is silencing the vocalist, but you're kind of pushing the envelope by considering this anything other than a call and response.

This type of cutting off is probably really popular in musical theatre, right? I'd have a more definitive answer to this question if it weren't 2 am.

Yep. It's all over the place.
    Here in Phantom of the Opera
    Here in Les Miserables
    The entire opening number of Into The Woods
    Jekyll and Hyde
    Literally all of Sunset Boulevard (Ozy, listen to this one in particular. It's exactly what you're talking about in the OP.)
    So I noticed it's not present in EVERY musical. But it IS in character driven musicals. I mean, you don't watch Phantom for the plot. The plot sucks. But I love it anyway because the Phantom himself is fucking awesome. So this is a technique that's used to create interesting characters.

I didn't find any scenes/couldn't think of any scenes like these in Chicago. Chicago in particular surprised me. Roxie kind of talks over Amos in Funny Honey but I don't think that counts. There also aren't any in Grease but Grease is fucking garbage so I'm not surprised.

So how does this tie back in to Don't Fear The Reaper? I guess my answer is that it makes the listener interested in what the vocalist has to say. So, yeah, you're right*!

*This only works because the instrumental track also slaps. If the backing track didn't work, it wouldn't matter at all.

Moral of the story: try musical theatre! It's good!

Good night.
    NO.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    now doing anything creative is just extremely cringe to me
    GOOFY CHOO CHOOOO UWOWU HEWWOWUWO, GOOFYUWOWU HEWWO!!!
    I believe you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

what's difference between musical theatr and just singing??

i used to sing, but now doing anything creative is just extremely cringe to me
    The former pretend to play something, while the latter either convey a clear message or just make noise for no reason. Sounds about right?

Also stop saying you're depressed/apathetic and do something that interests you!! If there's nothing interesting, then make finding something interesting your interesting thing to do, idk... saying you're not interested certainly is not interesting, it's boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

Then stop demoralizing us at least

it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Also stop saying you're depressed/apathetic and do something that interests you!! If there's nothing interesting, then make finding something interesting your interesting thing to do, idk... saying you're not interested certainly is not interesting, it's boring.
    An almost perfect example of what not to say when someone informs you that they're depressed.

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

im not actually depressed so mm basically said the right thing here
    Lucky you
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    Unknown1234
    oops_ur_dead

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown1234 View Post
    Lucky you
    if you're being sarcastic, that has to be the bitchiest, most indirect ill-wish towards anyone i ever heard.

if you don't talk out of ur ass for at least one second, perhaps we can actually be on neutral terms with each other. unless u really want me to be a constant pain in the ass for the rest of your life ^-^

25. ISO #25

if you're being sarcastic, that has to be the bitchiest, most indirect ill-wish towards anyone i ever heard.

if you don't talk out of ur ass for at least one second, perhaps we can actually be on neutral terms with each other. unless u really want me to be a constant pain in the ass for the rest of your life ^-^
    I don't think it was ill-wish.

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

I don’t wish anything bad on other people even if we aren’t particularly friends. You may have a problem always expecting the worst from other people.

29. ISO #29

This is signature worthy.

30. ISO #30

31. ISO #31

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    An almost perfect example of what not to say when someone informs you that they're depressed.
    Unless they say that but actually don't act like they are depressed or mean it at all. I wouldn't say this if Ceko wasn't just bored lol.

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

not only is art extremely cringe, it's also really fucking hard.

fuck you stealthbomber, suck my dick!!!

fuck you marshmallow.

aami too!!!!

;W;
    I do not consent, and I doubt SB does either.

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

38. ISO #38

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    I do not consent, and I doubt SB does either.
    If he came to me we could negotiate a starting price. I don't travel for work.

41. ISO #41

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    If he came to me we could negotiate a starting price. I don't travel for work.
    I don't know if he could come all the way to you... that would require a lot of pelvic force!

I'll see myself out
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

42. ISO #42

43. ISO #43

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Why are you familiar with SB's sexual preferences?
    Isn't it obvious? SB revealed his true furry nature in PMs, and Ceko is not furry enough for him

44. ISO #44

45. ISO #45

true, i'm not a furry. stealth on the other hand is probably an active member of the furry community
    one of my friends is so i'm somewhat familiar with it

46. ISO #46

47. ISO #47

48. ISO #48

49. ISO #49

50. ISO #50