Communicating is tough
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Communicating is tough

I tried to make an intro and a title that'd make this whole thread look coherent, instead of what it actually is - random things in my head that I want to connect together somehow. I think I succeeded?

Putting yourself in the shoes of others

We tend to explain our own behavior based on our external environment, but when we explain the behavior of others, we talk about their internal traits (Attribution Bias).
    For example, if I honk my car horn, it's because someone cut me off; if you honk your car horn, it's because you're a jerk. This is not fair to you, but I don't see it from your perspective. I see it from my perspective.
    (Terrible example tbh)

When you're an expert, and you have to explain the same thing again and again, you're naturally biased to think that everyone is stupid except you.
    For example, customer service or being the IT guy.

Importance of Simplification

When you write something, it's difficult to be sure that what you're saying is clear. This is because your mind knows and remembers what you meant to say, so it will fill in any gaps or correct any mistakes along the way.

Text filled with long, obscure or overly formal words take longer for a reader to decode and can sound pompous or stilted.

Sometimes we inadvertently write sentences that can be interpreted in more than one way. When something's written in simple manner, there's less chance for ambiguity.

If your text is not concise the reader can lose track before reaching the end and can have a harder time deciphering the elaborate vocabulary. Breaking the content down into smaller parts can help them follow along; simpler wording can help understanding it better.

Famous quotes:
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

2. ISO #2

Re: Communicating is tough

In essence, all this is just about the difficulty of writing something comprehensible.

This isn't even touching the difficulties of live communication.

This isn't even touching on the importance of effective listening. (Well..a little it does..)

Communication is tough.
    Hence the famous saying: "Everyone's stupid except me!"