Archiving Discord Chats
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Archiving Discord Chats

Would this be a possibility?

-Make a Discord server, or use the existing Sc2mafia one.
    -Have there be a Category that is invisible to everyone but a bot.
    -Call the category "FM Chat Archives", and have the bot copy paste mafia and dead chat, when a FM game finishes, in a new text channel.
    -Have the ability to ask for access to one of them for 24 hours by typing something like "!Access 356".

Alternatively

-Have a section in the Archives called "FM Chat Archives".
    -A bot copies the chats over there once a FM game finishes.

I realize it's not very needed. I'd bet none of the 1000+ whatever communities that play FM archive their mafia and dead chats - and nobody ever had a problem with it.

But I think it'd make for a nice feature. Someone would have to make that bot though.

2. ISO #2

Re: Archiving Discord Chats

i think the main problem is people tend to use their own servers for their dead chats/mafia chats. If they used something official then it would be easy to archive it all, but that would require more active FM staff to handle managing that
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    i think the main problem is people tend to use their own servers for their dead chats/mafia chats. If they used something official then it would be easy to archive it all, but that would require more active FM staff to handle managing that
    and there's the problem that whoever is managing it could see all the chats so they'd then have to never play FM again

4. ISO #4

Why would it be easier?
    Copy paste is copy paste.
    Or you meant like archiving the exact text channel as is? That would be better.. yeah. I can't even imagine the complications that'd go into it.

Tbh, I think my 2nd suggestion would be the easiest.
    I imagine it like this:
    -theres a section in the Archives for FM chats.
    -when a game finishes, someone would make a thread there and write something like _"!Archive [link]"
    -The bot would join the discord link, copy paste each text channel in a separate post, leave the discord server and close the thread.

Only additional work would be for the server owner to make it so everyone who joins can see all text channels.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I feel like the easiest way would be if hosts copy/pasted their discord chat into a spoiler at the end of the game. Would be hosted within the thread and on this site
    That's more work than it looks.
    Because you can't highlight everything at once. If you try via scrolling up or down - sooner or later what you scroll away from starts to disappear and doesn't get copied in the end.

Besides, this is something that's only worth it if it takes near 0 effort in the end. So rare for people to read games from the past.

8. ISO #8

That would be suboptimal imo. Hosts making their own servers gives them much more freedom: they are the owners, after all, so they can create the experience they want to create, with the channels they want to have, etc. "For the sake of archives" is not a good enough reason to sacrifice that, especially if it takes a significantly higher amount of effort to keep archives up. A good middle ground that is used by some hosts is a "personal hosting server" where each game hosted by the owner is a category.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    That would be suboptimal imo. Hosts making their own servers gives them much more freedom: they are the owners, after all, so they can create the experience they want to create, with the channels they want to have, etc. "For the sake of archives" is not a good enough reason to sacrifice that, especially if it takes a significantly higher amount of effort to keep archives up. A good middle ground that is used by some hosts is a "personal hosting server" where each game hosted by the owner is a category.
    Lol I agreed it was suboptimal in my post silly

10. ISO #10

Lol I agreed it was suboptimal in my post silly
    Ok ok fair xD
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I used to have a central Discord server for all of my games, Magellan, Spirits IIb, the Demon Game, and quite a few others are there
    AIVION now has control over that server (assuming she didn't delete it).
    Arapocalypse on MU has about 90-100 Turbo graveyard chats archived in his turbo graveyards server.

@Marshmallow Marshall
    Did you see me archiving mafia and dvc chats in the 2 games that I hosted? Do you think it's any worth it; and if so then worth enough to put in hosting guide?
    @aamirus
    I imagine uploading txt files isn't a issue for the sites storage capacity?
    Last edited by OzyWho; June 18th, 2021 at 08:11 AM.

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Arapocalypse on MU has about 90-100 Turbo graveyard chats archived in his turbo graveyards server.

@Marshmallow Marshall
    Did you see me archiving mafia and dvc chats in the 2 games that I hosted? Do you think it's any worth it; and if so then worth enough to put in hosting guide?
    @aamirus
    i think so, but i also think the site may auto-delete them if they're untouched for long enough?

14. ISO #14

@Marshmallow Marshall
    @aamirus
    I noticed absolutely nothing, sorry lol. I believe keeping track of discord servers by just not deleting them and putting them in a discord folder instead is the way to go. That way, the information is not lost and can be obtained upon request, if a request ever comes.

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    I noticed absolutely nothing, sorry lol. I believe keeping track of discord servers by just not deleting them and putting them in a discord folder instead is the way to go. That way, the information is not lost and can be obtained upon request, if a request ever comes.
    Not everyone's a horder.

17. ISO #17

TIL. And now my discord is so much cleaner.
    Aye, you made me think about cleaning up too lol.
    Not everyone's a horder.
    FOR THE ALLIANCE!