MafiaUniverse's Mafia Championship, Season 8 - Nominations (vote here!)
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #1

Exclamation MafiaUniverse's Mafia Championship, Season 8 - Nominations (vote here!)

It's that time of the year again: the Mafia Championship is back! We have been invited to participate in it, along with many communities (150 is the number the organizers are aiming at). The tournament will be held on MafiaUniverse; here is the thread explaining how it works (link). You may also read the official invitation here (link).

We have to elect someone to play in the Championship, along with a backup in case our representative cannot play anymore. Like for the previous season, there are conditions a player needs to meet in order to be eligible to represent us at the tournament. They are:

- The representative must have played at least one FM game on Sc2 Mafia since September 2020 (8 months ago).

- The representative must be willing to represent us and to play the Championship game(s).

- The representative must have no criminal history pertaining to FM on Sc2 Mafia.

Additionally, you must have played FM on this site to vote in this thread. And since I know you're going to try it again, I'll say it right away: smurf votes are not valid, you bunch of trolls :P.

To place your vote on an eligible member, please use the standard voting tags: [vote]The member's username[/vote]. The winner will be our representative, while the runner-up will be our backup. Voting ends when this countdown does:

DAYS HOURS MINUTES SECONDS

And now, let the games begin! 1000 votes to hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

2. ISO #2

Re: MafiaUniverse's Mafia Championship, Season 8 - Nominations (vote here!)

-vote Frinckles

It is your destiny to win this @Frinckles , it is the reason of your existence. Embrace it!
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone who has went there came back far less active in FM or left FM altogether?
    For that reason, I'm against voting and pressuring someone to go.
    If anyone wants to go, let them, and if nobody wants then nobody goes.

That being said though, there's only 3 players that I'd consider voting if I had to: Martin, SJ, Frinckles.
    -Martin is the most active and experienced outside of SC2Mafia out of these 3 imho.
    -Frinckles has been the only Sc2mafia representative who has been anywhere close to getting to semis. Even Blink, who won and survived as scum didn't get voted to the Top4 (also, role madness is he's strong suit imho). Even Distorted who had like 2nd or 3rd highest post count didn't get in Top4. Only Frinckles did.
    -SJ's performance in mountainous game on MU I envy. (Ongoing game ftr)

Edit:
    MM and baker have little free time, Helz is banned, Mag would get banned. Nobody else active cones to mind.
    Last edited by OzyWho; April 19th, 2021 at 11:25 AM.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    @Marshmallow Marshall
    Could also support you if your interested. Your scum play last game was pro as fuck : )
    Thanks, but I fear I wouldn't be good enough due to my lack of constant free time... I'd spend all my time catching up or trying to do so, and I'd probably horribly fail to get townread no matter my alignment lol. So unless my life changes soon, I'll have to decline that.
    Plus, I did it last year, so it's time for someone else to go
    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but everyone who has went there came back far less active in FM or left FM altogether?

That being said though, there's only 3 players that I'd consider voting if I had to: Martin, SJ, Frinckles.
    -Martin is the most active and experienced outside of SC2Mafia out of these 3 imho.
    -Frinckles has been the only Sc2mafia representative who has been anywhere close to getting to semis. Even Blink, who won and survived as scum didn't get voted to the Top4 (also, role madness is he's strong suit imho). Even Distorted who had like 2nd or 3rd highest post count didn't get in Top4. Only Frinckles did.

Edit:
    MM and baker have little free time, Helz is banned, Mag would get banned. Nobody else active cones to mind.
    As stated in the OP, the candidate has to agree to go, and "pressuring" is a bit of an overstatement. I'm only showing my support lol. If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to. Last year, I believe he wanted to, though.

In the terribly unlikely event nobody wants to go at all, I say we ban everyone and delete the forum
    But seriously, that simply won't happen unless the site is straight up dead, which it isn't. Proof is, we're talking here!

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Plus, I did it last year, so it's time for someone else to go
    I only now realized that Frinckles represented Swirl, not Sc2mafia.

I guess SC2Mafia hasn't even gotten a representative in the top4 of a qualifier game then.

11. ISO #11

I only now realized that Frinckles represented Swirl, not Sc2mafia.

I guess SC2Mafia hasn't even gotten a representative in the top4 of a qualifier game then.
    Correct, we suck

12. ISO #12

In the terribly unlikely event nobody wants to go at all, I say we ban everyone and delete the forum
    But seriously, that simply won't happen unless the site is straight up dead, which it isn't. Proof is, we're talking here!
    I think anyone that wants to go should be given that chance. I am sure we have people interested in competing.

In the event nobody else wants to send me and I am confident I can network around my ban on MU. I just kinda am refusing to network on principle for a few reasons. That and I think sending someone else would be preferable because fuck video game drama and sending me would simply leverage a situation causing drama.

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

I could go, especially if it began (say) 2nd or (even batter) 3rd week of May or later.

I suspect at most I would reach 2 games played in the champs, after that people who spend more time in the game and/or out-post me would probably out-shine me. This also probably relies on a bit of luck that people would accept my play as being generally effective (or skillful) in the first place; as I recognize my style and (more importantly) my values in scum-hunting or wolfing is sometimes considered by others as unique, unusual, or sub-optimal. If I somehow magically reach the Finals, then I am probably not winning that as in all likelihood that'll cross into my next semester and my activity/contribution will possibly or probably drop.

Though I will note I don't specifically want to go unless we need a representative and I happen to be the best or most-available candidate for it.
    A.K.A "That One Idiot"

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

I am perhaps terrible choice, will lose very quickly. ^^
    Also, I expect with the new baby I will probally be extreamly busy or hightly not. But might need to replace out.

I also expect to completely forget IM playing the game, or so despretly want to play it I do everything else other than doing it.

Either way, This is the perfect way to represent sc2mafia.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

18. ISO #18

Correct, we suck
    Me and my Mafia buddies had a Flawless victory a few of us didn't even get voted. It's as much of a popularity contest as it is a mafia game. If you're well-known and liked you make it if you win regardless of how well you play.
    This isn't where i parked my car.....

19. ISO #19

They ended up sending a town member who lynched town because he was well known/liked over someone like myself who is unknown and played a mechanically perfect game. But hey im not trying to say the voting and politics of it is completely flawe and biased... Oh wait thats exactly what im saying XD

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    Me and my Mafia buddies had a Flawless victory a few of us didn't even get voted. It's as much of a popularity contest as it is a mafia game. If you're well-known and liked you make it if you win regardless of how well you play.
    Out of the ~160 communities, most are not Mafia related - which makes like all qualifier games have over half the players be more on the "new player" side. I mean, in the setup discussion for season 8 it was like not allowed to add anything even slightly unusual because it's expected that half the players can't even tie their own shoes or something.

What do you mean when you say popularity contest? Because it's the players themselves who vote, and most of them don't know anyone.

22. ISO #22

Out of the ~160 communities, most are not Mafia related - which makes like all qualifier games have over half the players be more on the "new player" side. I mean, in the setup discussion for season 8 it was like not allowed to add anything even slightly unusual because it's expected that half the players can't even tie their own shoes or something.

What do you mean when you say popularity contest? Because it's the players themselves who vote, and most of them don't know anyone.
    So most of the players on Mafia universe register to play under different sites. So you'll have like four to five players who regularly play on mu in a game under a different site. So because these players know each other they will vote their friends in. A lot of players also use personal bias like they don't like the way a player plays they won't vote for them even if they mechanically played good. So I'm going to disagree with you here when you say most of them don't know each other.

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

A solid example is from season 6 when I played my game. The FINAL game right.

The top 1st place player was a scum who got vigi'd.
    Runner up was the townie who Viggi'd him. But his reads were literally wrong everywhere else.
    3rd place was a townie who played okay had some good+ bad reads.

There was a player in this game who power wolfed from day 1 and made it to LYLO and successfully pulled the miss lynch off. This player was less liked and known then the three who placed top 3.

So you see how fraudulent the system over there is?

Yes scum won, and an scum who got caught and Vigi'd was voted the winner lol

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26

to be fair, charisma, likeability, popularity, etc. are fundamental parts of mafia.

In the mod and FM it's very common that somebody who has a legitimate lead gets ignored or even lynched because people are more willing to listen to the guy they are accusing.

IMO instead of "town are morons they should have listened to me!"
    It's a skill you need to be a great player - to be able to convince people to listen to you

I am not familiar with the MU politics at all but i am just wondering @blinkskater if you've considered instead of people voting for their friends because they like them - maybe them liking/respecting them causes them subconsciously to view their overall play in a better light vs. others?

Deciding how good somebody played without knowing what was actually going on in their head at the time is basically pure speculation after all.

If it's some random i've never met vs. a guy who i revere as a great player, i'm probably going to give the "great player" the benefit of the doubt that his moves were all calculated if you get what i mean
    Last edited by DJarJar; April 19th, 2021 at 08:10 PM.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

27. ISO #27

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    to be fair, charisma, likeability, popularity, etc. are fundamental parts of mafia.

In the mod and FM it's very common that somebody who has a legitimate lead gets ignored or even lynched because people are more willing to listen to the guy they are accusing.

It's a skill you need to be a great player - to be able to convince people to listen to you

I am not familiar with the MU politics at all but i am just wondering @blinkskater if you've considered instead of people voting for their friends because they like them - maybe them liking/respecting them causes them subconsciously to view their overall play in a better light vs. others?

Deciding how good somebody played without knowing what was actually going on in their head at the time is basically pure speculation after all.

If it's some random i've never met vs. a guy who i revere as a great player, i'm probably going to give the "great player" the benefit of the doubt that his moves were all calculated if you get what i mean
    You said exactly what I was going to say lol. Charisma is part of the game, and it greatly influences how games play out; sometimes, being an asshole will cost you the game. That has happened here in the past. Now, if people are literally being "corrupt" and voting for their friends because they're friends, it's something else, but in my game, votes were rather well placed, and the obvious MVP steamrolled the votes despite not being super known (after defeating well-known MU players), if I'm not mistaken. The other game results also seemed fair. Nobody pretends the system is perfect, since no system can be, but I don't think it's that bad either in general. What you're describing looks strange, but isolated imho.

28. ISO #28

I don't think its surprising to anyone that MU works in a pretty biased way. There is a 'core group' of players that push themselves ahead of others and they even have a 'panel' active in the MU championships where they do so outside of player votes. I duno if it is still a thing but there use to be a process where players would host a couple of small games on an existing site so they could then send themselves to the championship. If you got a group together you guys could pretty much send yourselves and circumvent the whole 'representing' concept of the championship.

Its just kinda natural for that sort of thing to happen in a community that establishes itself as the "who's who" place to be. I do still think it can be won by anyone though, the way they do things is not totally incestual and the players in a game have a strong word on who moves forward.

29. ISO #29

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I I duno if it is still a thing but there use to be a process where players would host a couple of small games on an existing site so they could then send themselves to the championship.
    And then there's Skwirl..

30. ISO #30

The way blink tells it, it seems to me it's more the players in the championship being the problem rather than the staff, seeing as they're the ones voting for the top4
    I think Distorted did get to top4 once, or at least top5, but I could be mistaken

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

Distorted played more than just Season 5?
    Then he probably represented Skwirl?
    To be totally honest I don't remember, it's been too long.
    But if he did, he probably represented Skwirl.

33. ISO #33

Edit:
    "get banned"
    Well, at least I'd try to be nice for the championship xD
    I may be representing Skwirl this time around seeing as nobody else really wants to go

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post

i remember getting blocked by half the active members in MU discord last year UWOWU. i know for a FACT that if i actually joined that site, i'd either get banned or eventually leave bc nobody likes me

fuck, that was my first UWOWU in a few days UWU!!!

i don't think anyone here except frinckles and frog associates with MU outside of the yearly championships. everyone else hates MU LOLE!!!

and yea, if we'd our own championships we'd probably vote ppl we actually know over unknowns. i take fm seriously, too seriously for some reason, so i'd probably try to ignore personal preference if i happened to be in a worldwide sc2mafia championship.

37. ISO #37

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    "get banned"
    Well, at least I'd try to be nice for the championship xD
    I may be representing Skwirl this time around seeing as nobody else really wants to go
    dude, i don't think anyone from skwirl wants u to represent them

38. ISO #38

39. ISO #39

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    I mean, there's few people there who know of FM Championship. Heck, I asked <Skwirl>Squirrel about it - and he didn't know what FM is. And he is the only active Skwirl member I have seen on SC2. (recently I saw blink sometimes though)
    I bet you half the members there don't know of FM.

40. ISO #40

41. ISO #41

Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    yeah, no doubt they want an angry kid who keeps spamming insults at people for no reason instead!

42. ISO #42

I mean, there's few people there who know of FM Championship. Heck, I asked <Skwirl>Squirrel about it - and he didn't know what FM is. And he is the only active Skwirl member I have seen on SC2. (recently I saw blink sometimes though)
    I bet you half the members there don't know of FM.
    yea, ur proabably right.

PROSTAGNA!!!

43. ISO #43

44. ISO #44

It feels so bad to have to wait a month to fix that typo I made at the beginning of the month.

Prostagma. Malista. Vulome. Etimos. Proseche? Eisvoli! Dritomos. Kalos!
    prostagma balls
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

45. ISO #45

46. ISO #46

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    ^^ Would be better to send Martin because they are generally more excited and dedicated.

I'm good with being a backup.

Don't know about Frinckles until they comment.
    It's tough tbh. You are charismatically stronger whilst Martin is analytically stronger. (imho)
    Some last season's finalists in the podcasts made the argument that charisma might be the most important skill or one of the most important skills, under the assumption that all fundamentals are solid too.

Would also like to see what Frinckles says when he comes. Tbh, I expect him and Oberon would duke it out who is Skwirl's main representative and who's the backup. Ofc, Frinckles could represent sc2mafia too and everyone would be happy about it.
    Last edited by OzyWho; April 22nd, 2021 at 02:14 AM.

47. ISO #47

48. ISO #48

- The representative must have no criminal history pertaining to FM on Sc2 Mafia.
    So since the Greylist is made for players who do not break the rules, we could theoretically send Efe, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

49. ISO #49

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    So since the Greylist is made for players who do not break the rules, we could theoretically send Efe, right?
    He has also been infracted for serial griefing, so no, sorry. Our superweapon will have to remain hidden. Plus, he'd have to accept lol.

50. ISO #50

Given @Frinckles ' silence and SJ's apparent will to go, I'm switching to
    -vote SuperJack