Reading Completely New Players
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Reading Completely New Players

Across the different Mafia guides that I've read, nothing has stuck with me over time as much as this little fact:
    When playing mafia, you are going to encounter a wide spectrum of players. A quick assessment of their current level and potential is vital to making an effective read on them.

Yayap, here on SC2Mafia, has made a similar statement:
    I literally use meta to judge a skill level of a player

This thread is related to that idea.

QUESTION
    Assuming you have someone in your game who has never had any experience with any Mafia game whatsoever. What tells, if any, can you think of that you feel like would be very reliable on such a player specifically?

These come to mind for me:
    Confirmation Bias
    Scum can't have a Confirmation Bias, it can only be faked. As such, if someone's first game ever happens to be as Scum - they would be less likely to exhibit it. Obviously no guarantee since they could just have such a personality (which could be tested in the game?).
    Not to be mistaken for Tunneling.

Natural OMGUS
    Same as before as Scum - that player would be unaware of the reaction.
    As Town, it's unlikely to overcome it in their very first game.
    Even though there's again no guarantee here, these would be unusually strong indications of alignments nonetheless. (And it could be tested if it's part of the players personality or not)

But what else?
    Last edited by OzyWho; March 1st, 2021 at 08:42 PM.

2. ISO #2

Re: Reading Completely New Players

Very interesting. The more I think about meta and how I've seen it be successfully and unsuccessfully used, and the more I realize Yayap was right, so the more I try to use meta for this specific purpose.

About tells for brand new players, you must include anything that involves a town-only perspective. That includes the fear of being killed, reevaluations that do not fit an agenda, but that are caused by an understandable change of perception of a player (this works for all players, but it works even better with newer ones because they are less likely to fake such a behavior, especially since it's rather complex and not an "obvious move"), etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Depends on their intelligence and personality. Would be best to just get to know them.
    This also brings the question, if a new person joined in, would it break the rules by engaging in conversation with them out of game to get to know them better?

As it would technically give you an advantage and you used out of game means to do so.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    This also brings the question, if a new person joined in, would it break the rules by engaging in conversation with them out of game to get to know them better?

As it would technically give you an advantage and you used out of game means to do so.
    Knowing a player gives you an advantage compared to those who don't know that player. Brand new players are therefore almost always disadvantaged, although the disadvantage is not too huge, especially given they could theoretically estimate everyone's skill level by checking people's plays and by diving into the Archive. That's part of the game. As long as you're not OGCing, you should be good; noone is forbidden from talking to new players about their favorite color because they're playing an FM game with them, which would be a little bit ridiculous :P.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :