hey guys remember how we were all just overreacting to COVID only so trump wouldnt get re-elected?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

Re: hey guys remember how we were all just overreacting to COVID only so trump wouldnt get re-electe

I mean.. Its not like were doing stuff that makes sense anyways.

I have to wear a mask for the first 30 seconds walking to my table at a restaurant but then dont have to wear one for the next hour while I order and eat.

We have to wear masks but most people wear stuff made by fashion designers at best. Worse is the 'ultra breathable sock' things and the worst are those ones with a built in check valve that does absolutely nothing. Usually the same people wearing these fashion devices are the ones to flip out when someone's nose isnt covered.

We have limited the hours businesses and bars can stay open because the COVID monster comes out at night or something? Now most bars reclassified themselves as restaurants so they can stay open until 2 am and somehow strip clubs are still open. How do you get a social distance lap dance anyways?

The most vocal states like California started opening back up shortly after the election and somehow their numbers are now going down? I duno what voodoo is going on there..

My personal favorite is most industry's around where I live are super hurting for employees because fuck working when Uncle Sam is gona cut me 3k a month to sit on my ass at home and there are talks of increasing payments even more.

Real question though- I thought the entire point of locking stuff down was to 'flatten the curve' so medical resources don't get overwhelmed. Now that we have plenty of resources and all that jazz whats the point? Its not like the flu virus doesnt mutate so vaccinating everyone is just a temporary solution. If it wasn't I would only get 1 flu shot and be good for the rest of my life.

3. ISO #3

Re: hey guys remember how we were all just overreacting to COVID only so trump wouldnt get re-electe

Ya your point about masks is pretty funny, I've also seen people with dogshit masks that clearly do nothing. I've got a substantial bit of facial hair so I used to wear a ski mask to cover it all but apparently that wasn't okay according to places, because someone decided that it has to be something that looks like a fancy medical mask, so now I wear a "surgical mask" that covers half my shit and basically does nothing but that's considered acceptable. The way I see it though, even if a lot of people are gonna wear shitty masks it reduces infection rates from 50% to 45% which isn't that bad considering that it isn't much of a sacrifice to wear a mask assuming you aren't a mouthbreathing ape.

The bars thing makes sense. In practice, what I've seen is that people don't go to bars as often when they close earlier. That's pretty much the point.

Also yeah the point of locking stuff down was to flatten the curve but I don't think anyone actually succeeded at that lmao. If we look at "the curve" then pretty much everyone's at the absolute peak right now or just barely coming off of it. At this point I imagine the disease is just tapering off in the US because so many people have gotten infected that infection rates are lowering down to endemic levels. I guess that's ok but it only took more deaths than America had in WWII.

Your comparison between COVID and the flu isn't really valid. The flu is almost unique among other common viruses in that it is geared towards mutating extremely quickly. COVID does not mutate nearly as quickly, and the portion of the virus that the vaccines target is very unlikely to mutate without seriously affecting how dangerous the virus itself is.

4. ISO #4

That makes a lot of sense to me. I actually remember reading a study that said COVID mutates slowly.

Just curious, In other country's is absolutely everything blamed on COVID? I have gotten some pretty crazy ones over the last year to include stuff like my city saying they couldn't deliver me a garbage can after I purchased a house. I even had an internet company try to have me install my own internet and charge me an installation fee. What kind of nonsense have you guys had in other countries?

5. ISO #5

Honestly haven't noticed much besides direct consequences of all the restrictions, like not being able to get haircuts and shit.

The worst is that Ikea is pretty much non-functional right now. I just bought a place and when I went to buy furniture online (all the stores are closed) everything was out of stock and when I finally managed to place an order the delivery time was over a month. I still haven't got the order and I'm half expecting them to cancel it too.

6. ISO #6

My favourite was a young female adult who believes covid is fake, because all of a sudden they have a vaccine for it yet they haven't found the cure for cancer. Also its against their human rights. >-> pretty sure anyone that claims it for a argument like that has never read the Human Rights Act.

In out country, we blame our government, we blame Brexit and we blame covid. Whichever is most convenient for the arguement.

Although our government did have the genius idea to bribe everyone by paying half their eat in restaurant bill. And shocker, turns out making everyone stampede and overfill all the restaurants which jam back everyone inside or in the huge queues, in an environment where there is constant use of the mouth, crossings of same surfaces and crap results in an even bigger pandemic problems.

Eh. Gotta save the economy though.

End of the day, it's either money or lives.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

7. ISO #7

Lol. Yes COVID only comes out at night, like the boogeyman. Romanians came to the same conclusion apparently because a few months back there was a weird curfew in some cities, where basically during the day you had to have a signed, written paper that said you were aware of the risk of going out or some shit and had to state a reason for leaving your house (and couldn’t go out at night at all, except for exceptional reasons like a medical emergency ect, going to work and so on).

It makes me wonder if they could reject your reason, because I don’t think they could? Like I think you could literally give ‘having sex’ as a reason since yiu could argue its vital for your mental health to have sex.

Oh and one other thing. When I landed at the airport, I was asked if I had passed or been in any country other than Germany within the previous 2 weeks. The idea being that if you had you would have to quarantine but otherwise you wouldn’t. Sounds reasonable right? Except nobody would actually check so you could straight up lie. Weird!

8. ISO #8

One other tidbit. In the Netherlands, last autumn supermarkets stopped serving alcohol after 8pm. The reasoning being that doing so would encourage people to meet up and have drinks. Which I thought was retarded because me and my friends literally started buying liquor at 7pm instead. I wonder what the point of that rule really is.

9. ISO #9

Are Romanians the only people enlightened enough to wear masks whilst driving alone in the car? Just curious. I know in the Netherlands I’ve seen people cycling with their masks on, but it didn’t even seem to be a substantial minority that did that. Whereas over here I would say the proportion of ppl who wear masks driving is >=50%.

10. ISO #10

Also they actually made it illegal back in March to question the official figures, which grossly underestimated the number of cases and daily infections. The figures were so far from reality you could even call them straight up lies. Some friends I know who are active on facebook had to self-censor or risk getting fined ;)

Romania and Polans are the only two European countries that did this lol

11. ISO #11

One thing that made me laugh about curfews is that it actually makes more people shop at the same time. Like.. Isnt that the exact opposite of what the goal was?

This whole epidemic has made me really laugh at us as a species.

12. ISO #12

it's sad that there's really nothing that america can do because people are too stupid and selfish to follow common sense. Like, was it really that necessary to fly home for thanksgiving and christmas putting all your family members in danger?
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    it's sad that there's really nothing that america can do because people are too stupid and selfish to follow common sense. Like, was it really that necessary to fly home for thanksgiving and christmas putting all your family members in danger?
    You’re acting as if people were in any actual risk of dying. The overwhelming majority of people, if they get symptoms at all, will have a nasty fever for 3-4 days and then maybe a shitty runny nose. If one of my close relatives, say my son, if I had one, used that as a reason not to come home I would be angry as fuck at them. If the risk of catching a fever is enough to stop them from spending hone with their family they really suck as a human being.

Also, common sense says that ppl don’t freak out over what is clearly a virus whose lethality is blown out of proportion, but then, as you said, common sense ain’t so common.

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    You’re acting as if people were in any actual risk of dying. The overwhelming majority of people, if they get symptoms at all, will have a nasty fever for 3-4 days and then maybe a shitty runny nose. If one of my close relatives, say my son, if I had one, used that as a reason not to come home I would be angry as fuck at them. If the risk of catching a fever is enough to stop them from spending hone with their family they really suck as a human being.

Also, common sense says that ppl don’t freak out over what is clearly a virus whose lethality is blown out of proportion, but then, as you said, common sense ain’t so common.
    Be careful. There are those here who lost someone close to them due to covid and it's not just their elderly grandmother. You're speaking from a selfish position.

Just because the overwhelming majority of people don't die in car crashes does not mean it's ok to lift all driving rules and speed limits.

Also just measuring it by how lethal is another cruel selective data.
    There is the spread rate > overflow healthcare > causes indirect deaths due to overfilled hospitals.
    Then you have long term damage. I caught a nasty cough 3 years ago, never went to my hospital but it has done permanent damage to my lungs (or still recovering after 3 years). Not fun when you know part of your body is fucked up and I wish I could of have avoided if.
    Then you also have the risk of more dangerous mutations.
    The more people that catch it, the higher chance of mutations, which can further spread/lethal rates. Or even bypass immunitys or new symptoms/permanent/ effects.

So try not to be as ignorant or abuse selective data to.make your point
    Cryptonic made this sig

gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

15. ISO #15

I reject the notion that people dying of COVID means you’re being disrespectful of their relatives by saying it’s grossly over-inflated. People die of the flu too, and nobody would make the claim the flu is ‘dangerous’; it’s probably ‘riskier’ than getting struck by lightning is, but that doesn’t mean much.

The fact of the matter is that it is exceedingly unlikely for people to die of COVID unless they’re really old or in poor health to begin with. Even among the elderly it’s not the most dangerous disease ever. I know of a few people close to me who had serious illnesses and also got COVID and lived throughout it, or died of something else after they no longer had it:

Btw you err in assuming I haven’t had people die in circumstances related to COVID. I have too. It’s why I had to fly home in the first place, incidentally.

16. ISO #16

I was so tempted to include in my post "can't wait for you to tell me how you really have had someone effected"

But I thought nah. You wouldn't use that just so your able to say "fuck the elderly and ill"

Nice of you to REPEAT that lethality is the only data that is worth using to prove your point.
    Let's continue to ignore indirect deaths, permanent damage, mutation dangers. Because that doesn't help your point.
    Cryptonic made this sig

gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

17. ISO #17

It’s not about the risk of the son getting it, as much as it’s about your son bringing it to you, his elderly parent. Or his grandparents if they’re there too. You would think most people wouldn’t want to put their family members in danger is what I meant.

Another way to look at it from your perspective: spreading the virus around will increase the case numbers and hence result in lockdown restrictions amping back up. So it’s in your best interest to not spread even if you aren’t scared of what it could do to you or your family members.

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

Ugh nvm, you just essentially argued that a Christmas family gathering would be worth everyone in the family getting covid for. I forgot to avoid engaging in these stupid arguments.

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    I was so tempted to include in my post "can't wait for you to tell me how you really have had someone effected"

But I thought nah. You wouldn't use that just so your able to say "fuck the elderly and ill"

Nice of you to REPEAT that lethality is the only data that is worth using to prove your point.
    Let's continue to ignore indirect deaths, permanent damage, mutation dangers. Because that doesn't help your point.
    My point about having someone affected is that moral outrage is a bit exaggerated. I am not disrespecting my loved one’s memory by saying whatever they died of was not dangerous in the general case. I don’t possibly see how I could be disrespecting yours if I’m not disrespecting mine.

I think I’m going to end this here because I don’t know how to argue the points I want to argue without offending anyone and seeing as I do not want to do that, it’s best not to continue. I won’t reply again.

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Ugh nvm, you just essentially argued that a Christmas family gathering would be worth everyone in the family getting covid for. I forgot to avoid engaging in these stupid arguments.
    Sure, suit yourself.

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    I'll just take it that Oberon hopes my mum dies so he can go bowling.
    That’s not what I’m saying at all...
    Incidentally lets say my mum was particularly vulnerable to the flu (which by the way happens to be true, she’s suffered severe long term damage from the flu in the past). Would you want eveeyon to isolatr and whatnot just for her? Surely we can isolate her ourselves and anything we could do is vastly more effective than anything you could do, a stranger who’s never seen my mother.

23. ISO #23

Actually since you brought that fucking thing up here. Fuck it I’ll throw it in. My mum was the one who died. Maybe you should keep your moral outrage to yourself, huh?

24. ISO #24

Oberon does touch on something I have been thinking about a lot over the last year or so. Say someone were to talk about how the holocaust was terrible, 6 million Jews died, and we should tear down some Nazi memorial. If I were to walk up and point out that the 6 million killed figure was generated from German census changes and its a certainty that many Jews relocated so it was likely less than 6 million killed I would get attacked. Someone would probably scream about 'whataboutism' and call me a Nazi/Racist/fucked up person or some such.

To begin with we live in a society where people act like being offended = being right; but its kinda crazy that we can hardly even make associated points any more. I also have no idea how to combat this behavior but I see it quite a bit.

Maybe the entire whataboutism fallacy just compounds the issue? I personally think people should just stick to hammering on Red Herrings and if its relevant to the conversation but detrimental to their position using whataboutism to invalidate the other persons position is a terrible way to debate. Either way this bias that makes us view anything that does not agree with our point as an attack on our point is something I have been noticing more and more..

25. ISO #25

I'm pretty sure nobody meant any disrespect to anyone here, and that you are ALL (edit: all minus helz who posted while I was writing this post lol), without exception, throwing tomatoes at eachother for dumb reasons. It's not like anyone is saying people who died from COVID are dumb or weak for it or anything like that, or like anyone is saying they're happy Mag's mother died or anything like that. There's no reason to get outraged, and it really annoys me to see how any views opposing the "official version" get automatically tagged as "heartless conspiracy theories that should be outlawed", and how on the other side people who have "alternate views" start demonizing or automatically distrusting anything official. If you want measures to work and the crisis to end, you need EVERYONE's support, not just your faithful believers, so stop treating non-believers like they're doomed infidels lol; and on the non-believers' side, just look at what's happening in the hospitals. This applies both here and IRL.

Also, simple reason why locking down is absolutely necessary:
    - covid patients fill hospitals up and force delays in treatment of other people
    - other people's conditions get worse
    - people die from stuff like untreated cancers in 2 years

I actually expect more people will have died from indirect causes related to COVID than to COVID itself at the end of the pandemic. Because while the virus is not that terrible in general, it ends up overloading hospitals and blocking access to necessary treatments.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Oberon does touch on something I have been thinking about a lot over the last year or so. Say someone were to talk about how the holocaust was terrible, 6 million Jews died, and we should tear down some Nazi memorial. If I were to walk up and point out that the 6 million killed figure was generated from German census changes and its a certainty that many Jews relocated so it was likely less than 6 million killed I would get attacked. Someone would probably scream about 'whataboutism' and call me a Nazi/Racist/fucked up person or some such.

To begin with we live in a society where people act like being offended = being right; but its kinda crazy that we can hardly even make associated points any more. I also have no idea how to combat this behavior but I see it quite a bit.

Maybe the entire whataboutism fallacy just compounds the issue? I personally think people should just stick to hammering on Red Herrings and if its relevant to the conversation but detrimental to their position using whataboutism to invalidate the other persons position is a terrible way to debate. Either way this bias that makes us view anything that does not agree with our point as an attack on our point is something I have been noticing more and more..
    What do you gain by correcting the figure? What changes? The important part isn't the fact that 5 or 6 or 7 million jews died, it's that millions of jews died. The human mind can't comprehend a number as fucking gargantuan as 6 million.

Sorry, picking at small points here, but that irked me.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

28. ISO #28

Actually since you brought that fucking thing up here. Fuck it I’ll throw it in. My mum was the one who died. Maybe you should keep your moral outrage to yourself, huh?
    That's sad to hear about your mother, I'm sorry you're going through that.

I honestly have to say that although I strongly disagree with your position, I admire how you stick to your principles and opinions through it all. It's pretty strong of you to keep holding those ideas despite it personally affecting you, even if I think you're completely wrong and said ideas are dangerous.

I'm not gonna argue with your points because I think I've already said everything that needs to be addressed regarding them. Again, sorry about your mom. I hope you pull through and things get better.

29. ISO #29

No I'm good thanks. Never want anyone mother to pass, and I wish everyone would work together so these thing don't happen. And I do wish that your mother hadn't passed away.

My Mother is a home-carer. Minimum wage, poor benefits, overworked. She has a list on ongoing illnesses and has had more in the past, including cancer and has had a few organs inside of her removed. So she is more at risk and can only care for non-covid clients. Fortunately she has just revived her first vaccine
    She can't stop her job, because they don't have enough staff and her clients depend on her, she gets to see the suffering of loss and death and has had her fair share of clients pass away.
    She is constantly worried about catching it, or being a carrier and hurting more people.
    She is suffering mentally because of the stress and grief she is constantly enduring. I've been watching her slowly decline in mental health.

It could of been avoided, but poor choices by people and the government have not helped.

My wife is due to give birth in May. We will very likely be having a C-Section. There have been long delays and mistakes made so far because the healthcare is overwhelmed, this is creating more stress for her and puts her more at risk. We are worried about her catching covid, because if she is recovering from being cut upon and catches it, it will be even more dangerous. We at that point have 2 sons, and I will be left in a difficult situation if she passes or has a longer recovery time. This could of been avoided.

At work I have lost several customers due to covid, and these are the ones I know about. I have no idea if someone dies if they never show up again. I get too see people family and friends come in face ridden with grief. Then get to see some dickwad stroll in maskless, obviously falsely claim they don't need a mask and continue their ignorance and selfish shop.
    I get to see large family come in, multiple unmasked kids run around because they are treating it as a family day out.
    Hoards of schoolchildren in groups treating it like a hangout zone.

So, I agree with heavy restrictions. I do not care about peoples short-term desires to gather and socialize and if someone wants to be a cockwomble and get upset they could miss out on easter, or go to church and whatnot. I will not be pleased with them and I will let them know (Unless I'm in work hours then I can't do that as it risks retaliation)

I'll be happy to be morally outraged and express it and don't plan on changing it.
    Cryptonic made this sig

gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

30. ISO #30

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    What do you gain by correcting the figure? What changes? The important part isn't the fact that 5 or 6 or 7 million jews died, it's that millions of jews died. The human mind can't comprehend a number as fucking gargantuan as 6 million.

Sorry, picking at small points here, but that irked me.
    Relevant to the conversation the point was correcting the number does not detract from the message that the holocaust was wrong. Its a systemic issue in how we debate as a global society. Im not sure if its now getting worse or if I just started taking heavy notice of it recently but I do consider it a problem.

Outside of the conversation the pedantic side of me dislikes small details like this. There is no need to overstate such a figure. When your talking about millions dead its such a terrible thing I can't even wrap my mind around those numbers. Whether it was 1 or 3 or 5 million there is no need to exaggerate.

31. ISO #31

I realize this is somewhat unrelated but since Helz brought up nazis it reminded me of it. The Wikipedia page on Erwin Rommel got edited. It used to say that Rommel's Afrika Korps were never accused of war crimes and talked of how the war in North Africa was usually regarded as a 'war without hatred'. Now it says that may be a myth and suggested that he may be guilty of war crimes because him helping Germany allowed them to commit those war crimes. I see this more and more often. Merely existing or somehow being vaguely present when attrocities got committed means you are guilty of them. This is such a stupid and immoral concept. Going down that rabbit hole you could go as far as arguing that an American breadmaker from 1942 who fucked up his bread one day was guilty of helping the Nazi regime by not feeding his own properly due to a mistake. Lol! If you really wanted to you could straight up blame the Holocaust on the German nation as a whole and say nobody was innocent. What a stupid concept.

You'd think that if Rommel were actually guilty of any war crimes the post-war Germans wouldn't have named military bases, naval ships ect after him - but they did. But a few renegade historians know better than the German people

32. ISO #32

Even less related but heh fuck it. Germany after it supported Hitler and murdered Jews and whatnot went pretty much 180 (sort of in the other extreme) and now... Germany's accepted millions of 'refugees' that they don't even know what to do with. America went on a similar path and now after having fought segregation they're pretty much going in the same direction as well with all the noise about white privilege and whatnot. I wonder, seeing as they both did pretty much the same thing under similar circumstances, if the present situation isn't really a way of showing the world how NOT racist they are, kinda like a sort of hypocrisy, if you can call it that, but I think it's more about people's feelings and self-image than actual concern for foreigners.

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

Wow it's actually pretty glaring how much that page got changed. The new edit actively paints him as a personal friend of Adolf Hitler and discredited his involvement in the plot to assassinate Hitler, stopping short of actually saying that Rommel basically only knew about it and wasn't actually involved; the old edit actually says Rommel wanted Hitler brought to trial because murdering him would've created a martyr. Two different versions of the same page presenting two very different narratives.

Edit: LOL even ppl on the talk page of the article disagree with the narrative presented now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Erwin_Rommel
    Last edited by Oberon; January 30th, 2021 at 08:55 AM.

35. ISO #35

Say someone were to talk about how the holocaust was terrible, 6 million Jews died, and we should tear down some Nazi memorial. If I were to walk up and point out that the 6 million killed figure was generated from German census changes and its a certainty that many Jews relocated so it was likely less than 6 million killed I would get attacked. Someone would probably scream about 'whataboutism' and call me a Nazi/Racist/fucked up person or some such.
    If you were to respond to "we should tear down a Nazi memorial" with "well actually probably 6 million Jews didn't actually die in the holocaust" then the accusations of whataboutism and being a fucked up person wouldn't really be out of place lmao.

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

38. ISO #38

Even less related but heh fuck it. Germany after it supported Hitler and murdered Jews and whatnot went pretty much 180 (sort of in the other extreme) and now... Germany's accepted millions of 'refugees' that they don't even know what to do with. America went on a similar path and now after having fought segregation they're pretty much going in the same direction as well with all the noise about white privilege and whatnot. I wonder, seeing as they both did pretty much the same thing under similar circumstances, if the present situation isn't really a way of showing the world how NOT racist they are, kinda like a sort of hypocrisy, if you can call it that, but I think it's more about people's feelings and self-image than actual concern for foreigners.
    Collective guilt is definitely a thing. It leads a lot of Liberals with white guilt to be offended on behalf of PoC over shit that PoC aren't even offended by. Virtue signaling is funny to watch.

Systemic racism is alive and real in America, though. Just wanna put that out there.
    FMX: fm Kevinpowers - Citizen (WIN)
    I will go ahead and fuck this cat
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Heavy Handed View Post
    yeah I'm not gonna sit around here analyzing the fucking particle fluctuations in the quantum foam or whatever the fuck trying to find shit on D1

39. ISO #39

This fucking sucks. I'm really sorry to hear that. I lost my mom suddenly 2 1/2 years ago and I'm still having trouble coping. Once in a while I throw on Mike Shinoda's album Post Traumatic and cry like a baby. Feels a little better afterwards.

Music really helps. Talking about it really helps.
    FMX: fm Kevinpowers - Citizen (WIN)
    I will go ahead and fuck this cat
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Heavy Handed View Post
    yeah I'm not gonna sit around here analyzing the fucking particle fluctuations in the quantum foam or whatever the fuck trying to find shit on D1