Should the Bible be taken literally?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #1

Should the Bible be taken literally?

I feel like it shouldn’t. You see a lot of fundamentalists taking things literally and believing for instance that the Earth is 4,000 years old, and who don’t believe in evolution ect. But I feel that especially when looking at the Old Testament the God in the Bible there is more abstract and complex (almost like a force of nature, personified), and if you read it literally you would be more or less required to treat a lot of the ‘stories’ as historical (in practical terms), like humans getting kicked out of Eden, Cain getting punished by God, ect. But given how complex and even hard to understand God in that part of the Bible is, it seems unlikely that its meant to be taken at face value.

To make it clear, I’m not Christian but I find the Bible quite interesting (well, some parts of it), but I’m curious how everyone else feels about it.

I personally think it shouldn’t, partly because of how I feel that God being such a nasty prick in the Old Testament is (frankly) more realistic, and I feel like there are some deeper themes touched on that the New Testament ignores - such as when Moses leads the Jews out of Egypt, which I feel is a way of teaching ppl to resist tyranny and not to take everything that’s given to them if it’s shit. Or how Cain’s sacrifice wasn’t rewarded because he was kind of an envious asshole. Things like that. Whereas the New Testament can, as far as I can tell, be put down to ‘be nice’, which I feel is a very simplistic way of looking at the world.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Should the Bible be taken literally?

One thing I always try to get people to focus on is 'what is the Bible'. At the end of the day its a collection of books. But those books were chosen by men and others men decided not to include. Still yet other 'books' were not found until after the Bible was set to its format.

Then you have to consider language and etymology. Most of the Bible was written in Hebrew and translated multiple times into what we read now. Also language itself evolves and words change meaning over time. 100 years back 'Cute' may mean 'small' while today we associate it with 'adorable.' This is the reason pretty much every Christian theology program has some focus on studying Hebrew.

Then you should consider context. According to Deuteronomy 25 if a man dies and hasn't had a kid with his wife she can demand his brother bang her. If that guy says no, she can drag him in front of some village elders and spit in his face. I don't think even the most hardcore religious zealots would support that sort of thing in these days and I don't even know where I would go to find a 'Village Elder.'

And finally just considering what it means if the bible is literal is some really dark shit. If God is all powerful and all knowing then he created us while knowing every action we would take, but yet then damns souls to eternal torment in hell for living life out the way he created them. This is even talked about in Exodus and Romans in context to how the Pharaoh was basically created for destruction. Consider what justice that is to be a creature that is created by God for the purpose of being tormented for eternity after living a life you had no control over.

I think the truth is that people just like things that justify and reinforce their beliefs. The Bible is a very big book and you can pretty much make it say anything you want if you want to ignore context, and mix & match translations. I never understood the massive push to demand that the Bible is the infallible word of God or the idea of ignoring context and taking it literally. I very much do think people should practice the basic religious process of identifying a system of values and reconciling your behavior to those values though.

Btw.. I am very curious if our community is mature enough to handle this thread.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

4. ISO #4

I 100% agree with the last point you made. The Bible was written by humans who (at least some of them) were trying to understand God and figure out how to act in a moral manner. But that means that them, being human, were sometimes wrong. I don’t think you need to agree with everything in the bible (or even with most of the Bible) to find meaning in some of it. I dislike the idea that you’re not a real Christian if you don’t believe in the entire Bible (I’m not really Christian but I suppose I have some sympathy for the religion so it always upsets me when people make that argument).

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Its an interesting conversation to have next time you meet someone who insists they must take the Bible literally. Asking them why they don't take the time to understand the true meaning of the words or why some books were excluded usually opens their mind a little.

There is also the circular reasoning of 'How do you know the bible is the infallible word of God?'
    'The bible told me so'
    'Ok.. If I tell you I have never lied am I lying?'

I have had a few of these conversations and usually end up spending hours with those people who come knocking on my door to spread their religion. Its kinda funny to see the mental gymnastics they pull as they realize how very little their belief system is built on and how much they have never considered.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Then you should consider context. According to Deuteronomy 25 if a man dies and hasn't had a kid with his wife she can demand his brother bang her. If that guy says no, she can drag him in front of some village elders and spit in his face. I don't think even the most hardcore religious zealots would support that sort of thing in these days and I don't even know where I would go to find a 'Village Elder.'
    Having heard several of these various rules and stories that seem so twisted from a modern perspective, I've come to believe these people didn't actually have a notion of consent in their society. As far as they saw it, people probably had a "responsibility to reproduce", and demanding a right not to reproduce with your spouse was probably viewed as the same as demanding to have the right not to support the tribe, or something equally selfish.

With regards to the OP, from a modern point of view it can't possibly make sense to take the entire bible literally. Very basic linguistic analysis (by a linguist's standards) demonstrates the Old Testament must have had many contributors. Even then, I'm sure at least a portion of the old testament was never intended to be taken literally. In the same way Greeks personified various aspects of the human condition as gods to make various points, I am inclined to believe some of the stories in the bible were always meant to be viewed as metaphysical allegories rather than concrete historical accounts. Some of the stories just feel so... visceral. And some of the stories (like the flood story) have contemporary equivalents in other now extinct religions.

For a long time, jews never even wrote down all of their practices and customs. iirc, it was only after pressure from the Persians to give a clear set of customs and beliefs that various jewish groups started writing fragmented and contradictory accounts of their beliefs. This suggests to me the religion was originally more loose and ambiguous, in relation to later religions which appeared to present a much more cohesive and concrete narrative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    I mean, the answer is no, I am confident everyone on here will also say no.
    Yeah I’m like... the only person in this wider community who would ever possibly say yes to this is Rachyl.

Not the right place to ask this question for a debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

If you where to read the bible and follow what it teaches. You would be amazed at what transpires. The bible should be taken at it word, Yes. But people fail to truly read it. It is like a story you cat just skim over it and claim to know it.
    Do Not open this spoiler under any condition!!!!!!!
    Spoiler : :
    WHY CANT YOU FOLLOW SIMPLE DIRECTIONS?
    YOU HAVE JUST CAUSED THE END OF ALL MANKIND!!!!!!

<a href=https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic27614_1.gif target=_blank>https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/signat...pic27614_1.gif</a>

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    One thing I always try to get people to focus on is 'what is the Bible'. At the end of the day its a collection of books. But those books were chosen by men and others men decided not to include. Still yet other 'books' were not found until after the Bible was set to its format.

Then you have to consider language and etymology. Most of the Bible was written in Hebrew and translated multiple times into what we read now. Also language itself evolves and words change meaning over time. 100 years back 'Cute' may mean 'small' while today we associate it with 'adorable.' This is the reason pretty much every Christian theology program has some focus on studying Hebrew.

And finally just considering what it means if the bible is literal is some really dark shit. If God is all powerful and all knowing then he created us while knowing every action we would take, but yet then damns souls to eternal torment in hell for living life out the way he created them. This is even talked about in Exodus and Romans in context to how the Pharaoh was basically created for destruction. Consider what justice that is to be a creature that is created by God for the purpose of being tormented for eternity after living a life you had no control over.

I think the truth is that people just like things that justify and reinforce their beliefs. The Bible is a very big book and you can pretty much make it say anything you want if you want to ignore context, and mix & match translations. I never understood the massive push to demand that the Bible is the infallible word of God or the idea of ignoring context and taking it literally. I very much do think people should practice the basic religious process of identifying a system of values and reconciling your behavior to those values though.

Btw.. I am very curious if our community is mature enough to handle this thread.
    Helz, Times have changes a lot of the laws of Old Phrases Where also changed in the Times of Jesus. IE the New Testament.

<a href=https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic27614_1.gif target=_blank>https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/signat...pic27614_1.gif</a>

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If you where to read the bible and follow what it teaches. You would be amazed at what transpires. The bible should be taken at it word, Yes. But people fail to truly read it. It is like a story you cat just skim over it and claim to know it.
    Ok, but it's the "Truly read it" that is the question. The OP is meaning to read it word to word with the current English edition with the current English language.

We all know that some people have their beliefs in how to "truly" read it, just as you know there will be other Christians that read it in a different way and believe theirs is the true way.

End of the day, aslong as people who are in need are helped I have no issues with religions and belief's. If believing make you happy and makes you a good person so be it.

It's those that abuse their position and abuse the books to twist them for their own selfish desire that I have issues with. Also those who try to force their beliefs on others.

Be careful on this thread Mike, there are people who will grasp at posting and pushing anything to get a reaction from you, you have my love and don't stick around if people begin to lower the thread.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

15. ISO #15

But people fail to truly read it.
    let's ignore the bible and just examine this statement. What is it supposed to mean? Can't I say this about almost any text and then try to argue that it (that text) means whatever I want it to mean?
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

16. ISO #16

Quote Originally Posted by Grayswandir View Post
    I 100% agree with the last point you made. The Bible was written by humans who (at least some of them) were trying to understand God and figure out how to act in a moral manner. But that means that them, being human, were sometimes wrong. I don’t think you need to agree with everything in the bible (or even with most of the Bible) to find meaning in some of it. I dislike the idea that you’re not a real Christian if you don’t believe in the entire Bible (I’m not really Christian but I suppose I have some sympathy for the religion so it always upsets me when people make that argument).
    This is the problem with the world. "I want" "I don't think" "I don't like". We have changed church into what is fun for us. What we want it to be. The Bible is just a book written by Man. The bible is the inspired word of God.

If God was good why does he let so many good people suffer? Answer to that is simple. He gave man Free Will.

'Everyone wants there cake and eat it to.

I want God to stop all the suffering. But I want God to let me make my own choices. Wake up people you cant have them both.

There are Christians that feel they have to force God on everyone. NO, We are to give Gods word it is not up to us for people to take it. Jesus never Forced God on people. He only showed, talked, Taught Gods word.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 14:6
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

I would highly encourage any of you to read the New Testament.

17. ISO #17

It's those that abuse their position and abuse the books to twist them for their own selfish desire that I have issues with. Also those who try to force their beliefs on others.
    to play devil's advocate though, christianity is one of the dominant religions today specifically because of the two things you're complaining about. Because of popes, archbishops, kings, emperors, etc. pushing it for the sake of "god has given us the right to rule, so therefore all you peasants must listen to us, and if you don't you're a heretic and will be burned!"

18. ISO #18

Ok, but it's the "Truly read it" that is the question. The OP is meaning to read it word to word with the current English edition with the current English language.

We all know that some people have their beliefs in how to "truly" read it, just as you know there will be other Christians that read it in a different way and believe theirs is the true way.

End of the day, aslong as people who are in need are helped I have no issues with religions and belief's. If believing make you happy and makes you a good person so be it.

Be careful on this thread Mike, there are people who will grasp at posting and pushing anything to get a reaction from you, you have my love and don't stick around if people begin to lower the thread.
    NO it is ok. Everyone is open to there thoughts. That does not bother me. And for the game I was not bothered by the posts your Alter ego posted. It was the setup its self that made me uncomfortable. Super Jack you and your alter Ego I Still consider Friends. I am not as soft as I may have appeared. I thank you for this post. I respect you for this post. But this is open and everyone even opposite my views is welcome to Agree with mine views or Trash my Views. That does not bother me. This is in Circle Jerk.

19. ISO #19

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    let's ignore the bible and just examine this statement. What is it supposed to mean? Can't I say this about almost any text and then try to argue that it (that text) means whatever I want it to mean?
    True, You can. But then if you try and make God's word what you want it to mean are you truly Reading it? Is it not to read something, Read it in the way it was Written? (The way the Author (in this case God) Wrote it)

20. ISO #20

to play devil's advocate though, christianity is one of the dominant religions today specifically because of the two things you're complaining about. Because of popes, archbishops, kings, emperors, etc. pushing it for the sake of "god has given us the right to rule, so therefore all you peasants must listen to us, and if you don't you're a heretic and will be burned!"
    Because of popes, archbishops, kings, emperors, etc. = christianity ???? That is Debatable.

21. ISO #21

"truly read it." - that does not include taking it's word literally?
    I'm guessing you have to take take everything metaphorically and figure out the meaning on your own? How inconvenient. But at least you can give it another shot when there's something that you don't like.

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    "truly read it." - that does not include taking it's word literally?
    I'm guessing you have to take take everything metaphorically and figure out the meaning on your own? How inconvenient. But at least you can give it another shot when there's something that you don't like.
    This is my point, To many people want to twist Gods word to what they like. The Pharisees where a prime example of that. and to this day we have people still using what they did in the name of God. This does not make Gods word bad only the people abusing it.

23. ISO #23

i mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Alexander_VI and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VIII
    should be enough for anybody to see that these religious leaders are a farce.

(the first one bribed and murdered his way to the papacy and the 2nd one created the anglican church just so he could divorce his wife cuz he wanted a male heir)... both are considered to be divine rulers by their respective christian sects

for me that seems like it should be enough for anybody to see organized religion itself as a farce. Not to say that there is no god or higher power, but just that the myriad of organized religions we have are themselves BS

ok rant aside, for anybody who is a roman catholic specifically, i'd be curious how it's possible to believe the pope is god's chosen speaker whilst also acknowledging that historically most of the popes are SERIOUS sinners

24. ISO #24

True, You can. But then if you try and make God's word what you want it to mean are you truly Reading it? Is it not to read something, Read it in the way it was Written? (The way the Author (in this case God) Wrote it)
    okay but how do we know what God meant? You say read it in the way it was written by God but since it's just transcribed and translated and interpreted by humans, how can we actually do that?

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26

This is hitting the nail on the head. If everyone could understand this imagine the world.

Romans 12:19
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Hebrews 4:12
    For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Luke 9:50
    And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

27. ISO #27

okay but how do we know what God meant? You say read it in the way it was written by God but since it's just transcribed and translated and interpreted by humans, how can we actually do that?
    Easy Thru Prayer. I used to be a hard core Anti Bible person. I would laugh when others gave me this exact same answer. But until I truly stopped fighting and accepted God and just sat and talked to him a lot of the Fog went away and clarity came. the answers are always in the word of God. It is the crazy religions people trying to control others mis-using Gods word to further there own wants and needs that have dissuaded people into not following Gods word.

28. ISO #28

to clarify: since they are essentially just the product of greedy/power-hungry humans using the idea of God to give themselves power over others
    Agree 100%

29. ISO #29

Easy Thru Prayer. I used to be a hard core Anti Bible person. I would laugh when others gave me this exact same answer. But until I truly stopped fighting and accepted God and just sat and talked to him a lot of the Fog went away and clarity came. the answers are always in the word of God. It is the crazy religions people trying to control others mis-using Gods word to further there own wants and needs that have dissuaded people into not following Gods word.
    can you describe what hearing God's word is like? i assume it's not like hearing morgan freeman randomly start talking inside your head?

30. ISO #30

can you describe what hearing God's word is like? i assume it's not like hearing morgan freeman randomly start talking inside your head?
    For everyone it is different. For me It is not hearing a voice. It is like being confused on what I am lost on and then having the clarity of knowing. It is also the peace that covers you. Again this is just how it is for me. It took me many years to understand. for some It happens fast for others like myself took years. But the key point is when I finally understood The World is Different from God. Just because something is legal Does not make it right. Mans word is not Gods word.

Everyone has to have there own personal walk with God. It is simple Don't take all the World telling you what is correct and incorrect. Read Gods word and let him tell you want is Good and Bad. You will be amazed at how much becomes clear when you just read his word and Talk to him.

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

Part of the reason why I made this thread was because I see many hardcore atheists making the same mistake as fundamentalists in taking the Bible literally, and they usually end up getting hung up on some irrelevant details. There are some atheists who genuinely think there is no room for religion if you accept scientific inquiry, and I think that’s dead wrong. Science and religion are two very different things that deal with different parts of the world.

A bit unrelated but one of the best arguments against the existence of God is in creation itself. I mean, if the Universe was created by God, then obviously the next question you have to ask yourself is, who created God? Or has he always existed? In which case, isn’t it simpler to skip God creating the Universe altogether and say the Universe has always existed? I have not heard any good counterarguments against this and would be interested in hearing one.

I feel though as the existence of God isn’t actually necessary for religion to be ‘true’ on a fundamental level. There’s many religions that don’t even believe in a God (like Buddhism), but what they all share in common is the belief in a set of basic moral principles that has to be followed. My ‘God’ so to speak (more important than a Creator or divine being, if it exists), would be that, and for my part I do believe that such a morality does exist (and influences the physical realm).
    Last edited by Grayswandir; January 18th, 2021 at 11:00 AM.

33. ISO #33

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    It is funny when religious folk attribute anything positive in their life to jeebus but anything negative to.. not jeebus?

Something something logical fallacy.

Even if god existed I wouldn't worship that self absorbed fuck.
    And that is your choice. Maybe one day the hate you feel for something that (You don't believe in?) may change.

(How can you hate something that does not exist??)

34. ISO #34

+1

35. ISO #35

The bible is a mish mash of goofy folk tales that were handed down by oral tradition until some people decided to wrap it up with a central story of "Jeebus" and tack on the new testament.

Nothing more than folk tales and fantasy.

Sure the bible has some very basic moral instructions - ten commandment stuff - but the atrocities throughout history that have been committed in the name of the "word of god" far outweigh any moral teachings you can get from it.

You don't need religion for morality, this is the trap most religious zealots fall into. "How can an atheist have a moral compass!!!???" style pearl clutching.

Religion served its purpose in human history, time to let it go.

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

And the bullshit about what to cherry pick - I've read plenty of the bible to know it is a shitshow. Don't shave your beard!

But now that times have changed, desperate religious zealots move the goalposts - "You just don't UNDERSTAND what it is trying to say!!!" "Don't take it literally!!!"

So the word of god is an amalgamation of endlessly moving goalposts to serve the culture of the time? Doesn't sound like very sound word to me.

38. ISO #38

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

The bible is a mish mash of goofy folk tales that were handed down by oral tradition until some people decided to wrap it up with a central story of "Jeebus" and tack on the new testament.

Nothing more than folk tales and fantasy.

Sure the bible has some very basic moral instructions - ten commandment stuff - but the atrocities throughout history that have been committed in the name of the "word of god" far outweigh any moral teachings you can get from it.

You don't need religion for morality, this is the trap most religious zealots fall into. "How can an atheist have a moral compass!!!???" style pearl clutching.

Religion served its purpose in human history, time to let it go.
    Have your read the Bible??? to make this statement?? Sounds to me you have not read it. It is hard to judge something you have not read fully. There are posts in here of people who have Read the whole book and it shows that do not agree with it and that is there right. Your statement shows you have not read it and are just trying to stir the pot.

41. ISO #41

Quote Originally Posted by Grayswandir View Post
    Isn’t that more of an argument against organized religion
    Agreed

42. ISO #42

I don't expect any love here for what I'm trying to say, this site is after all a known far right cesspool.
    So, you are saying If we do not think exactly as you do we are a far right cesspool? I have not discussed Politics. This is you already Judging others before learning who they are. You seem to do that alot Judge things you dont know without first reading or learning. HMM there is a word for that. you may want to look it up.

Stay in School Dont do Drugs.

18-03_Article2-1-952x476.png

43. ISO #43

Have your read the Bible??? to make this statement?? Sounds to me you have not read it. It is hard to judge something you have not read fully. There are posts in here of people who have Read the whole book and it shows that do not agree with it and that is there right. Your statement shows you have not read it and are just trying to stir the pot.
    I've read it and stand by my statement.

Folk tales and fantasy. Multiply those baskets of bread.

44. ISO #44

45. ISO #45

I've read it and stand by my statement.

Folk tales and fantasy. Multiply those baskets of bread.
    ok then you read the book of Job correct?

46. ISO #46

So, you are saying If we do not think exactly as you do we are a far right cesspool? I have not discussed Politics. This is you already Judging others before learning who they are. You seem to do that alot Judge things you dont know without first reading or learning. HMM there is a word for that. you may want to look it up.

Stay in School Dont do Drugs.

18-03_Article2-1-952x476.png
    Has nothing to do with thinking the same as me. A cursory review of posts on this forum well establish my point. From talk of politics, to even the harassment and discourse that gets a wrist slap in forum mafia games. Far right!

47. ISO #47

A long line of Popes, chief arbiters of the word of god for catholics, have long oversaw the abuse of children at the hands of God sanctioned predators, as a simple example.

Word of god!
    The Catholic Church as an entity (but not all of its individual members, priests, etc.) can and should go the fuck away. That's just because it's an institution of power that uses religion as an excuse for many bad things (again, not everyone in it, but the entity as a whole). It doesn't mean all religion is bad and should be rejected vehemently like you're doing. Why not respect those who live in accordance to their faith and who are helped by their religion to be better people, independently from any religious belief (or lack thereof)? Like this post, which I absolutely love btw:

This is hitting the nail on the head. If everyone could understand this imagine the world.

Romans 12:19
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Hebrews 4:12
    For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Luke 9:50
    And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.
    What is bad about that? Worst case scenario is, there's actually no God at all, but at least the Bible helped people in their lives and did no harm in such a case. Note that I'm talking about specific cases like this one, not talking about all consequences religion had.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

48. ISO #48

@Renegade

Job 38:16
    Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

Please explain to me if Foke lore and Stories.

How they knew there where Springs in the sea. During that time period. During that time that would be absurd.
    This passage is where God talking about what he has done.
    Saying there are springs in the depths of the sea.
    We only learned of this in My lifetime.

49. ISO #49

@Renegade

Job 38:16
    Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

Please explain to me if Foke lore and Stories.

How they knew there where Springs in the sea. During that time period. During that time that would be absurd.
    This passage is where God talking about what he has done.
    Saying there are springs in the depths of the sea.
    We only learned of this in My lifetime.
    Your belief in the bible is established on the phrase "springs of the sea"? Wut?

What "springs" in the sea are you even referring to? Fault lines? Plate tectonics?

Yikes

Again a PERFECT example of cherry picking and mental gymnastics. Here you take "springs of the sea" literally, but we aren't supposed to take literally the age of the earth calculated by the blood lines described as 6000 years old?

Exhausting.

50. ISO #50

Your belief in the bible is established on the phrase "springs of the sea"? Wut?

What "springs" in the sea are you even referring to? Fault lines? Plate tectonics?

Yikes

Again a PERFECT example of cherry picking and mental gymnastics. Here you take "springs of the sea" literally, but we aren't supposed to take literally the age of the earth calculated by the blood lines described as 6000 years old?

Exhausting.
    By saying "established", you probably think we shouldn't take this literally (as in "built on"). Is that incompatible with taking the rest of your post literally?

If I make a metaphor in a text, does it mean nothing has to be taken literally in my text?
    One thing not having to be taken literally does not exclude other things from the same text to be meant to be taken literally. Now, I don't really understand what Mike said lol, but your argument is invalid.
    Note that this works the other way around too: it's not because some things can be taken literally that EVERYTHING has to be taken literally.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :