SuperJacks unorganized, stupidly long Titled and early edition of tips and advise to be a good host
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

SuperJacks unorganized, stupidly long Titled and early edition of tips and advise to be a good host

Setup.
    When designing setup, most host fall into error of creating a game in hopes the players will play it in a particular way.
    This almost never happens and can leave a sour taste in the hosts mouth or result in breakable setups. So advice is don't expect players to play it your way.

When designing a setup run some scenarios and calculations.
    How man confirmed town slots can there be?
    Would a mass role claim cause the game to be solved, or vastly one sided?
    Can scum easily counter confirmed/hard town.
    With special mechanics can they be abuses?

Host things.
    Type of host during game
    Dedicated to their rules. (If setup lacks wording/mechanic you where supposed to include (for example last will) you stick to the words and the game continues without last it.

Somewhat flexible. Generally going with the flow of the setup, allowing for minor changes or quick clarifications and enact rule changes.

Minimum input. Ignores questions, or reuses to answer and let's the games detailed mechanics remain only known to host.

Maximum Interaction. Has no issue with changing the entire game mid-game, constantly active.

As host. When do you step in? What should you do?
    Private warnings, public warnings, replacements, modkills.
    All have their pros and cons.
    When should you end the game- difficulty explained.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

2. ISO #2

Re: SuperJacks unorganized, stupidly long Titled and early edition of tips and advise to be a good h

A lot of good advice here. I kinda wonder, what else would people suggest hosts do to improve game quality?

One thing I would push is that if you are hosting another persons set up acknowledge you are the host and take your own direction. Trying to replicate the intention of who made the setup has caused game destroying issues in my experience.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

3. ISO #3

Re: SuperJacks unorganized, stupidly long Titled and early edition of tips and advise to be a good h

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    A lot of good advice here. I kinda wonder, what else would people suggest hosts do to improve game quality?

One thing I would push is that if you are hosting another persons set up acknowledge you are the host and take your own direction. Trying to replicate the intention of who made the setup has caused game destroying issues in my experience.
    Good poiint. I will add that when I get round to making it look pretty and more understandable
    Cryptonic made this sig

gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

4. ISO #4

My personal preference on setups is the more Vanilla the better. Just because you can make/add something doesn't mean you should.

Though, a bare minimum amount of PR's seem to improve the experience rather than diminish it. Further than that and it feels the opposite.

My personal preference on hosts is the more distanced they are from the game thread the better. The game becomes almost immersive when you forget that the host is there. It's own little eco system.

Though, it has nothing to do with the host but rather the clarity of the setup and behavior of the players. Those are the things that force the host to interact with the thread I think.

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

Try to avoid giving too detailed explanations of your actions as host during the game; don’t answer questions if the way they are phrased could result in an answer that slips information (or that can be read as such). Example: ‘If the Blackmailer blackmailed me tonight, would I be able to vote tomorrow?’. When you get such a question it is best to ask the person who asked the question to rephrase it.

7. ISO #7

With Hidden Games, always standardize messages whenever possible, and make the structure or template of host messages visible to players (preferably pre-game or in role PMs). If you wish to hide it, make several different versions of the same message (preferably pre-game, although you can also do it during the game), and use each version at least once

8. ISO #8

Mumble something about for balence sake don't give dedicated slots for a power role. And have it mixed with citizens so that you can't confirm yourself for being X power slot.

Also less host input mid-game reduces host slips of information.
    Cryptonic made this sig

gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

9. ISO #9

I think people underestimate how important having your setup being easy to read and or presentable is.
    Not only does it draw people in, make the game easier to play, and make you as a host appear more competent, but uh, actually that's most of the benefits I can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM-Shocked Kirby Face View Post
    Deathworlds is simply better than us at this game. Don't kill them for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by deathworlds View Post
    I think people underestimate how important having your setup being easy to read and or presentable is.
    Not only does it draw people in, make the game easier to play, and make you as a host appear more competent, but uh, actually that's most of the benefits I can think of.
    Absolutely. It also avoids setup misunderstandings. Having a beautiful, organized and gramatically correct setup matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :