Why are non-setup-specific 'things' in setups?
Register

User Tag List

Threaded View

1. ISO #1

Why are non-setup-specific 'things' in setups?

Those are strange things to have in setups I think, I question their reason for being there.

Time control - you can have any setup have any day/night lengths. No reason to have in setup pages.

Rules - with the exception of some setups with special mechanics, rules have nothing to do with the setups.

Lynch Types - while some setups might have it necessary to have plurality, I doubt that all setups can have only 1 possible option. Majority is optional almost always, no reason why a setup page shouldn't say so.

Mafia Chats, Last Wills, Death Notes - we don't balance our setups so precise to not have them be optional.

I'd prefer setups were something like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by <example>
    Lynch Type = [Plurality: obligatory | Majority: optional]
    Mafia Chats = [Night Chat: obligatory | Day Chat: Optional | Pregame Chat: Optional]
    LW/DN = [Optional]
    Role Flips = [Obligatory]
    There's the argument that we can change any optional things in the signups. But the argument has it's issues:
    -If someone wanted to change something when considering hosting a setup: they would first have to ask an FM mod if it's even an option to begin with. Now imagine you could skip the step when considering multiple setups to decide which you want to host.
    -In the case above: they don't do their role for which they were put in the setup pages.
    -Things that are optional from game to game basis, all players would from the beginning far more often know which is the option chosen for the game they're in. They're easier to miss in setup than in signup page, and when they read in setup page that something is optional they'd double check it on the signup page yet again.

Players from other sites would feel less Alien here.
    Last edited by OzyWho; January 10th, 2021 at 03:45 AM.