[Abandoned] Secret Hitler
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Secret Hitler

1. ISO #1

Secret Hitler

(This setup is designed after the Hidden Role Board Game "Secret Hitler")

Secret Hitler (5-10P)

Roles
    Spoiler : Roles :

Liberal
    -You are a member of the Liberal Party.
    -You must pass five liberal policies or assassinate Secret Hitler to win.
    Hitler
    -You are a member of the Fascist Party.
    -You must pass six fascist policies, or elect you after three fascist policies have been passed.
    Fascist
    -You are a member of the Fascist Party.
    -You must pass six fascist policies, or elect the Secret Hitler after three fascist policies have been passed.
    -[Player] is Secret Hitler.
    -[Player/-s] is/are Fascist/-s.

Spoiler : Goverment Roles :

President
    Election Legislative Session Executive Action
    -Nominate a Chancellor; members of the last elected government are not eligible.
    -Get at least 50% of the table to vote "Ja!"
    -Hitler can only seize power if three fascist policies are already out at the moment he's elected Chancellor.
    -Draw 3, Discard 1, Pass 2.
    -Don't speak while in Session.
    -After a law is enacted, you may discuss (or lie about!) what policies you drew, discarded, and passed.
    -Presidential Powers do not carry over between rounds.
    -The Sitting President has the final say and MUST exercise any power granted to him.
    -You are free to Discuss (or lie about!) the results of an investigation.
    Chancellor
    Election Legislative Session
    -Hitler can only seize power if three fascist policies are already out at the moment he's elected Chancellor. -Recieve 2 policies, discard 1, enact 1.
    -Don't speak while in Session; only once you've enacted a policy can you discuss (or lie about!) what policies you were passed.
    # Players 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Liberals 3 4 4 5 5 6
    Fascists 1+H 1+H 2+H 2+H 3+H 3+H

Order of Operations
    -Each round, a Presidential Candidate is selected from a predetermined order. (cycle through everyone)
    -President Nominates a Chancellor. (Someone who was neither Government role the previous round)
    -All players vote "Ja!" or "Nein!".
    -If more than 50% voted "Ja!", then: ](The next 3 are "Night" phase)
    -The President draws 3 policies from the Policy Deck.
    -The President discards 1 policy and passes 2 to the Chancellor.
    -The Chancellor discards 1 policy and enacts the final one as law. (The 2 discarded policies are not shown to the group, so they only have the word of the Chancellor or President, who are free to lie.)
    -If a fascist policy passes, the President must use it's power immediately.
    -If Majority did not vote "Ja!":
    -If three consecutive tickets fail to get voted in, the public takes matters into its own hands and enacts the policy on the top of the policy deck.
    -The next round begins.

Fascist Policy Powers

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
    The President investigates a player's alignment. The President chooses the next presidential candidate. The election process proceeds as normal after the special election has been called. The president examines the next three policy cards. The president executes one player. (Alignment not revealed, unless it's Hitler) The president executes one player.
    (Alignment not revealed, unless it's Hitler)
    Fascists Win

Possible Feedback
    -You drew these policy cards: [x] Fascist, [y] Liberal. Discard 1, pass the other 2.
    -You were passed these policy cards: [x] Fascist, [y] Liberal. Discard 1, Enact the other.
    -The player you investigated belongs to [Fascist/Liberal] Party.
    -The next 3 Policy cards are as follows (in order): [List]

Win Conditions
    Liberals:
    • Five Liberal Policies are enacted.
    OR
    • Hitler is Assasinated

Fascists:
    • Six Fascist Policies are enacted.
    OR
    • Hitler is elected Chancellor any time after
      the third Fascist Policy has been enacted.

Mechanics
    -No private Chats
    -Policy Deck consists of 17 Policy cards: 11 Fascist, 6 Liberal.
    -If there are less than 3 Policy cards left, the rest get shuffled back in.
    -Days are 48 hours long, Nights are 24 hours long.
    Night:
    -President receives 3 Policy Cards and must send 2 back in the first 12 hours of the day.
    -Chancellor recieves 2 Policy cards and must PM the host which to pass which to discard.
    Day:
    -After the first 12 hours: the previous President uses his Policy Power (if a Fascist policy was passed), the Host announces the new President.
    -After the 24 hour mark, Host announces whom the President nominated for Chancellor.
    -Until days end, all players vote "Ja!" or "Nein!".
    -Nights get skipped when 50% or less voted "Ja!".
    -If during a legislative session (nights) either Government role fails to msg the host about their action, it will be done automatically favoring their faction policies.
    -If the President fails to use a Fascist Policy Power or fails to nominate the new Chancellor, it is done at random.
    -A Special Election (2nd Fascist Policy Power) does not skip any player. If the President passes the presidency to the next player in the rotation, that player would get to run for President twice in a row.

Rules of Conduct
    1. Forum Mafia Rules
    2. To ask the Host a question in the game thread, you must mention the host.
    3. Directly quoting any feedback or PM by the host is forbidden.
    4. Stay active! (Host is the judge of that)

Game Table (posted at beginning of every round)

Policy Cards in Deck: [5-17]
    # of Liberal policies passed: [0-5]
    # of Fascist policies passed: [0-6]
    # of consecutive policies that failed to pass: [0-3]
    Last edited by OzyWho; January 3rd, 2021 at 01:21 PM.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Secret Hitler

As someone who enjoys this game with friends every now and then, I have some concerns about whether this game would play out well in a forum format, but I'm certainly down to experiment. With that said, I have three major qualms with this adaptation -

1) This game will take insanely long. This game typically has 10-15 rounds, realistically (accounting for failed elections). That corresponds to a month or a month and a half IRL (T_T). Unless the intention is for this to be insanely dragged out, the rounds should be squeezed from 72h to at least 48h, maybe even 36 if possible. One way to get it down to 48 would be to have the next president elect selecting their chancellor during the night phase and eliminate the need for a separate 24h just so the chancellor can be selected. Some of the powers may need to be tweaked, but this should be workable. You could even literally have the election of the current president, the next president's selection, and the previous administration's policy choices all done simultaneously to really crank shit up, and have an entire round conducted per 24h. Though that level of chaos may be too much for ppl lmao.

2) The game is mechanically extremely liberal-favoured, to balance out the lack of depth of reads that can occur in real life. The liberals should be nerfed in the transition to the forum. I would recommend giving fascists and hitler vision of what cards are coming in the deck so they can better organize, and to give liberals more room for "informed reads", and removing/altering fascist powers that are unambiguously pro-liberal (like the check or the ability to see cards). Also consider changing card ratios - maybe reducing the liberal cards from 6 to 5, or even replacing some or every fascist card that is played. Those ratios may seem harsh, but the card ratio is designed to be so liberal-sided that sometimes the liberals can simply win for free if the liberal cards are well-distributed and the fascists don't take enough initiative.

3) The game by design makes only a couple players the focus at any given moment. On the surface, this may not sound like a big deal, but in practice this is going to really stunt conversation. Think about how contributions naturally wane a little during a thunderdome from players not in the thunderdome. In a normal mafia game, at least during the start of a day, everyone is theoretically a candidate for lynch, which allows for tens of possible meaningful interaction scenarios. I'd recommend having two presidential candidates select a chancellor and run simultaneously, and giving each player the choice to vote for one or neither of the candidates, just to give the game a little more life.

Now, this last thing isn't so much a concern as it is a general remark - The fascists are extremely disorganised in this as opposed to a normal informed minority due to the lack of a nightchat. Giving fascists partial access to a chat (i.e. access to a chat every other 24 hours or something) may be worth considering, but I think it should be okay either way.
    Last edited by yzb25; December 29th, 2020 at 06:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

4. ISO #4

Re: Secret Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    As someone who enjoys this game with friends every now and then, I have some concerns about whether this game would play out well in a forum format, but I'm certainly down to experiment. With that said, I have three major qualms with this adaptation -

1) This game will take insanely long. This game typically has 10-15 rounds, realistically (accounting for failed elections). That corresponds to a month or a month and a half IRL (T_T). Unless the intention is for this to be insanely dragged out, the rounds should be squeezed from 72h to at least 48h, maybe even 36 if possible. One way to get it down to 48 would be to have the next president elect selecting their chancellor during the night phase and eliminate the need for a separate 24h just so the chancellor can be selected. Some of the powers may need to be tweaked, but this should be workable. You could even literally have the election of the current president, the next president's selection, and the previous administration's policy choices all done simultaneously to really crank shit up, and have an entire round conducted per 24h. Though that level of chaos may be too much for ppl lmao.

2) The game is mechanically extremely liberal-favoured, to balance out the lack of depth of reads that can occur in real life. The liberals should be nerfed in the transition to the forum. I would recommend giving fascists and hitler vision of what cards are coming in the deck so they can better organize, and to give liberals more room for "informed reads", and removing/altering fascist powers that are unambiguously pro-liberal (like the check or the ability to see cards). Also consider changing card ratios - maybe reducing the liberal cards from 6 to 5, or even replacing some or every fascist card that is played. Those ratios may seem harsh, but the card ratio is designed to be so liberal-sided that sometimes the liberals can simply win for free if the liberal cards are well-distributed and the fascists don't take enough initiative.

3) The game by design makes only a couple players the focus at any given moment. On the surface, this may not sound like a big deal, but in practice this is going to really stunt conversation. Think about how contributions naturally wane a little during a thunderdome from players not in the thunderdome. In a normal mafia game, at least during the start of a day, everyone is theoretically a candidate for lynch, which allows for tens of possible meaningful interaction scenarios. I'd recommend having two presidential candidates select a chancellor and run simultaneously, and giving each player the choice to vote for one or neither of the candidates, just to give the game a little more life.

Now, this last thing isn't so much a concern as it is a general remark - The fascists are extremely disorganised in this as opposed to a normal informed minority due to the lack of a nightchat. Giving fascists partial access to a chat (i.e. access to a chat every other 24 hours or something) may be worth considering, but I think it should be okay either way.
    You hit the nail here.
    I quickly checked some games of this on other forums like:
    Mafiascum
    MU
    MU
    CivF
    Random Site
    TL
    In all games, the Libs won.
    In all games, 10 rounds is like the minimum.

Game is less intense than FM but longer - I don't really mind that. But it appears that it's imbalanced, and that's sad.