Cross Community Game
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Cross Community Game

The site is dying, there's no mistaking it. We need to try to lure some players from other communities in and hope they'll stay/get their friends to come as well. I think its time to host a real cross community game

I suggest a setup creation contest. People submit a setup and say its for the contest. Whoever makes the most appropiate setup with the best storyline/most fun gameplay gets some kind of award/special title/colour. And then someone has to host it. I would offer to co-host the setup for anyone willing to be the main host (I'd offer to host it myself but I'm afraid I would get banshee screams after Magellan).

You obviously don't need to follow those guidelines, but as a general rule, I believe it should be kept simple, and should have a minimum of 15 slots at the very least.

If all goes well we may even look at hosting an actual M-FM or even an FM at some point. Man that would be amazing. Lol

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Cross Community Game

Not sure the site is dying (it's just the holidays period), but I completely agree about the idea of hosting a cross-community game. I'd roll with no more than 15 players, though: the point isn't to fail to fill it up.

About awards, there's an award called "FM Guru" for non-staff who have seriously helped the FM community... so if someone wants to make a setup (or rework a preexistent classic-ish setup) and to advertise for it (I'll help on that side), it could be considered, yes .
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Not sure the site is dying (it's just the holidays period), but I completely agree about the idea of hosting a cross-community game. I'd roll with no more than 15 players, though: the point isn't to fail to fill it up.

About awards, there's an award called "FM Guru" for non-staff who have seriously helped the FM community... so if someone wants to make a setup (or rework a preexistent classic-ish setup) and to advertise for it (I'll help on that side), it could be considered, yes .
    I nominated Helz for FM Guru some time ago. What happened to it?

5. ISO #5

We have to go pretty deep to find it lol
    That is true. I wonder...
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

6. ISO #6

I'm all for bringing new people in on FM here, but we already try that. I've seen numerous new people play over the years, yet they don't stay. Figuring out why they don't stay is more valuable than just constantly trying to shovel new players into our website. I can list of a few reasons why people do not like playing FM here. I'm sure everyone has their own reasons they could list too. One off random events may bring some extra activity, but it's not a long term solution and I doubt it's effectiveness the more they are done.

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    I'm all for bringing new people in on FM here, but we already try that. I've seen numerous new people play over the years, yet they don't stay. Figuring out why they don't stay is more valuable than just constantly trying to shovel new players into our website. I can list of a few reasons why people do not like playing FM here. I'm sure everyone has their own reasons they could list too. One off random events may bring some extra activity, but it's not a long term solution and I doubt it's effectiveness the more they are done.
    Those attempts are activity in themselves, and it's fun to do (not just to bring people in like they're some kind of resource, but to meet new people and experience new playstyles). You bring up a good point, though: it's not a magic answer to all of our problems. That just doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    I hope the person won't ever ever read this, but just reminding you that the most prominent reason why people have left this site (in regards to FM) has left this site voluntarily himself.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I hope the person won't ever ever read this, but just reminding you that the most prominent reason why people have left this site (in regards to FM) has left this site voluntarily himself.
    Hard to say no :P.

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

The forums has a great core player base. At worst we average 2 games a month, that's not bad at all. New faces always cycle through but like I said they don't stay. Is it because of the website? Is it because of the functionality of FM features? Is it because of the players? Is it because of the setups? I feel as though these questions and the answers to them are a lot more valuable to the expansion of the website since they all contribute to the crux of the integral point of this thread, player retention and how to achieve it.

14. ISO #14

On this site, everyone knows pretty much everyone in any FM game. Nobody wants to be that one person who feels extremely left out because of obvious chemistry (good and bad). There is no incentive or reason to make people want to stay and play more games. We certainly can't say we have a welcoming and loving player base, because that's definitely not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesk514 View Post
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyrlander View Post
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

15. ISO #15

SuperJack was able to get people to play because he made them feel equal and wanted. Yes, he did take players from the mod, but that doesn't really change much except given its just going from one site to another instead of coming from the mod.

Make people enjoy the players and they will stay. A lot easier said than done.
    1-I really and truly believe @Unknown1234 is town. He stuck by me when I needed him
    Wow, this game was really easy. I just had to talk dumb shit to survive some days more. :P
    If sheriff cleared you honestly I would take him out of my town core and put him as scum.

16. ISO #16

very off topic but @Mesk514 was in my very first FM game (we didn't know each other at all at the time) and we now talk all the time and have played several FM games with each over the years.

17. ISO #17

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown1234 View Post
    SuperJack was able to get people to play because he made them feel equal and wanted. Yes, he did take players from the mod, but that doesn't really change much except given its just going from one site to another instead of coming from the mod.
    Almost everyone here comes from the mod, for me I think it was MM who recommended me to try out FM. He did it to many I think.

Almost each and every one who comes from the mod comes from a place of being equal - simply by the fact that it's always -Mafia- players discussing -Mafia- and FM gets mentioned. Some cases they stumble upon it when checking out the forum though, so that's different. But even then - people don't refuse to help out newer players if asked.

I don't believe that making people feel equal was something unique to SJ.
    I assume many people here even started out in one of those -Mafia- clans.

In the past, I remember discussing the game with the other players. Especially Distorted and MM, also Mag and Light I think, but generally with most of the active players.
    Not so much now. Now I'm happy if 1 out of 3 mafias/triads make a fake doctor LW.

18. ISO #18

You don't need to lure people from other communitys. You should want to become friends with other communities.

People won't stay when the feel isolated from the social group, and most people dare not make the effort to push themselves into one. They need to be brought in, effort needs to be made.

Because this site is no longer a Mafia site. This site is a social group that also plays Mafia. So you either make effort to expand the social group, or change the purpose of the site like @Helz suggested.

The FM mods are currently sat on an idea that would greatly help, yet it is dependent on a fuck ton of effort.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    So first play games on other sites, make friends, tell them about our site, and then make a cross community game?
    Sorta .but with a lot more dedication effort, time and using the most charismatic and kind people to lead using the ideals not for self gain for the site, yet ideals for both sides.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

We're in agreement on the principles then: make people feel welcome and want to stay with us. That goes by not treating them as resources like it was done at times, though (that's also true on a moral point of view, but since the thread is strictly about community growth, the point is restricted to that aspect). But as Unknown so wisely said, it's much easier to say than to do. It requires time, effort, and people with the right mindset.
    And now I'm going to ask something horrible... maybe if people would stop being rude, it would help a little bit? So maaaybe we could try this? I wish I weren't staff so this would actually be taken seriously lol, but rudeness and toxicity is actually what caused people to leave, ever since I've joined at least. If we want this site to prosper, it's because we like it and would like to see more people with us so that we can all have fun, right? Well then, let's just talk to people and have fun with the nice ones individually, and invite them to have fun with us afterwards. Not as resources, or as unwelcome strangers who aren't in the kool kids klub, but as people.

By the way, I've already done that a lot in the past, but most of those people happened to stick with me or vice versa... on other sites lol. It's fun to do though really, if you think you'd like it, you should try. It's not a duty, but it's one great way to have fun and to build something at the same time.

25. ISO #25

Actually mm I kind of think the niche our site has is letting people be somewhat rude. We have to draw the line somewhere but I think we’re one of the most lenient sites around and while that causes some people to leave, it’s also why our core base stays?
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

26. ISO #26

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Actually mm I kind of think the niche our site has is letting people be somewhat rude. We have to draw the line somewhere but I think we’re one of the most lenient sites around and while that causes some people to leave, it’s also why our core base stays?
    Oh, I definetly agree. This doesn't mean we have to be assholes to eachother tho lol, we can be friendly and somewhat rude at the same time.

27. ISO #27

And now I'm going to ask something horrible... maybe if people would stop being rude, it would help a little bit? So maaaybe we could try this? I wish I weren't staff so this would actually be taken seriously lol, but rudeness and toxicity is actually what caused people to leave, ever since I've joined at least.
    Not according to @Bruno .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    This site is dying. Know why? Cuz you used to actually be able to joke and call eachother niggers and roast, and now slowly but surely the site is being pussified.
    I can imagine him being right in the sense that when SC2 was a brand new game the average user age was likely lower.

28. ISO #28

Not according to @Bruno .

I can imagine him being right in the sense that when SC2 was a brand new game the average user age was likely lower.
    The site wasn't "pussified" when you and I joined, and it was less active than it currently is, so that is utterly false lol. Remember when I said people were sticking with me on other sites instead? That's because when I proposed to play with them here, they either said "this site looks like it's going to give me a virus" or "people are so rude lol". So, while we should respect the site's uniqueness, there's some work we should do as a community on that side if we actually want to be more welcoming (and by "more welcoming", I don't mean "more welcoming of 12-year-old trolls", but of people in general lol).

29. ISO #29

The site wasn't "pussified" when you and I joined, and it was less active than it currently is, so that is utterly false lol. Remember when I said people were sticking with me on other sites instead? That's because when I proposed to play with them here, they either said "this site looks like it's going to give me a virus" or "people are so rude lol". So, while we should respect the site's uniqueness, there's some work we should do as a community on that side if we actually want to be more welcoming (and by "more welcoming", I don't mean "more welcoming of 12-year-old trolls", but of people in general lol).
    I doubt people read a lot before making a judgement.
    I think it's more due to the fact that this site, design wise, looks like a dark evil mafia lair chamber.

30. ISO #30

I doubt people read a lot before making a judgement.
    I think it's more due to the fact that this site, design wise, looks like a dark evil mafia lair chamber.
    THAT'S WHY IT LOOKS GOOD
    ...right?

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magician View Post
    Oberon got banned from this community for calling the moderators retarded multiple times
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

38. ISO #38

I 100% agree on the toxicity side of things. Especially in, ahem, times like these...
    I believe other sites have a tendency to overmoderate certain things and undermoderate others. I was in a game on MU and some person who was real passive aggressive was allowed to subtly shittalk players in the game and yet MU readily infract others for relatively minor offenses.
    I do not necessarily agree with the way we handle things either but I believe its better than in some other places. At least nobody will ban you for saying retarded...

39. ISO #39

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Because every post don't ask you if you eat to tweat, Facebook and tic tok and there isn't ads covering 80% ofthe page?
    Must be that. The site looks great lol
    Can't call myself retarded? That's like 50% of my vocabulary when it comes to self criticism. That's just stupid.
    They have a different conception of what their online community should be, and I respect that (it doesn't mean it's not fun to play there at times, it's just not the same). But because of these differences, I don't really think an alliance is possible. Not in the current state of things, at least.
    and really, I reiterate, it's not against them lol, it's just that we as a community don't exactly fit in imo

40. ISO #40