This is something I can not understand
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

This is something I can not understand

Something I have been obsessing over lately is how we are divided as a group and what systemic issues create these divisions.

I have some pretty good answers for that which I can draw out using conversations in this site to reflect and a it makes a lot of sense to me but then I came across this thing I can not explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA2LTXOUMzM&t

Play that music when you are alone and read the comments.

I recognize I am exposing a beautiful anomaly to one of the most toxic communities I have ever been a part of but I think a lot of people here could be touched by that comments section in a positive way and I would love to hear any theorys as to why this place could exist in the first place on the social construct.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: This is something I can not understand

People are nice by default in the great majority of cases (in their "heart", not necessarily in their actions; their personal experience often messes with this), and the majority of hate feelings I've seen stemmed from misunderstandings and differences in world representation with intolerant people. Starting from the principle of general good intent and assuming it's true, the answer probably is that people in such a place all come to find the same thing: peace. Of course, "peace" is a very relative concept, but the kind of "peace" sought by those who listen to this kind of video is probably common to 99.9 % of the viewers. Very few or no misunderstandings, plus the specific intent to have good intent, makes for a very nice environment.

Plus, people there are online, so unlike in real life, they can't judge people by thinking "this person is ugly" or similar lines of thought, so they can only assume the others also are nice (or at least not evil or hostile).

This is a great topic, and it shows that humanity still is worth a shot imo, despite all the... shortcomings we may witness from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

4. ISO #4

I'm not saying the world is made of pink clouds and unicorns: evil, ill deed, people doing things they know to be wrong and feeling no remorse about it, etc. all exist and are rather common. However, many "wrong" actions are considered to stem from ill deed when they don't. That's due to attribution bias or fundamental attribution error (see the #10 on that page) most the time.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

5. ISO #5

@rumox I do love that music but I was more talking about the comments section.

What MM said makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe its related to the pool of people who would come across that video to begin with but I was kinda shocked that there was not even 1 troll stepping into the comments and fucking with the positive vibe. Its probably the first and only time I have ever come across something on the internet that is so exposed but lacks the touch of the toxicity that comes with internet people.

Maybe it could be taken a step further and connected with some Youtube algorithm. If so I would love to learn how to get exposed to that search engine curve.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    @rumox I do love that music but I was more talking about the comments section.

What MM said makes a lot of sense to me. Maybe its related to the pool of people who would come across that video to begin with but I was kinda shocked that there was not even 1 troll stepping into the comments and fucking with the positive vibe. Its probably the first and only time I have ever come across something on the internet that is so exposed but lacks the touch of the toxicity that comes with internet people.

Maybe it could be taken a step further and connected with some Youtube algorithm. If so I would love to learn how to get exposed to that search engine curve.
    If you look at the comment sections of the music put out by those bands they are in the same vein, its why I linked them. It's the music drawing it out. It resonates with the listeners and basically compels them to write the messages.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    If you look at the comment sections of the music put out by those bands they are in the same vein, its why I linked them. It's the music drawing it out. It resonates with the listeners and basically compels them to write the messages.
    I saw a lot of that in the songs you referenced but there was a difference. In the ones you referenced there were jabs and trolling here and there while in the one I referenced I went hundreds of comments deep and couldn't find a single toxic post. Not one troll or jab at someone for being vulnerable. It felt really unnatural to me.

9. ISO #9

Yeah it isn't as extreme as the one you linked, but it's the same.

You have people who are all converging on a location to listen to music that makes them feel happy, then you also have the social aspect of it since it has a comment section. People are more inclined to participate if other people are doing it. This video sums it up. In a vacuum it does seem odd there is no one being negative (maybe those comments are deleted?), but with context it makes sense why it is that way. You have people looking to feel good and they have a platform to share their good feelings. You don't really stumble into these kind of videos (your algorithm gets you there) so to find them you have to be already a "member of the club" so to speak, so trolls are hard to come by.

10. ISO #10

You have people who are all converging on a location to listen to music that makes them feel happy, then you also have the social aspect of it since it has a comment section. People are more inclined to participate if other people are doing it. This video sums it up. In a vacuum it does seem odd there is no one being negative (maybe those comments are deleted?), but with context it makes sense why it is that way. You have people looking to feel good and they have a platform to share their good feelings. You don't really stumble into these kind of videos (your algorithm gets you there) so to find them you have to be already a "member of the club" so to speak, so trolls are hard to come by.
    I agree with you. Any time I see something unusual I try to break down the systemic things that created the situation. I have a pretty good theory that explains a good bit of the interactions in our society but I want to hold off until I can take the time to show it with patterns from this website just because I thought it would be elegant when I came up with it.

That video you posted made a lot of sense but I am still pretty focused on the fact that there was no ridicule or trolling. That is less fascinating for a dancing man at a concert given you are unlikely to hear ridicule and more fascinating in the internet environment where people troll and attack views just for attention.

Although some patterns can reflect how that comments section was created I really doubt I will ever come across another one in my life with that amount of exposure but still zero negativity.

11. ISO #11

Makes a lot of sense. "Happiness is a decision", and the people who come there all make that decision because it's the only point of such a video (or at least the only point I can see).