Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: Is this political?

Everything is these days.

A better question would be who will use it for their profit first imo.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

5. ISO #5

It shouldn't be but it's kind of impossible to avoid the political implications of it
    FMX: fm Kevinpowers - Citizen (WIN)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I will go ahead and fuck this cat
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Heavy Handed View Post
    yeah I'm not gonna sit around here analyzing the fucking particle fluctuations in the quantum foam or whatever the fuck trying to find shit on D1

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Plotato View Post
    Thank you for posting a graph with no title nor context or premise
    To be fair, noone in the world should need further context lol

Quote Originally Posted by FrostByte View Post
    It shouldn't be but it's kind of impossible to avoid the political implications of it
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Plotato View Post
    But what's the question? What's the premise? I don't know where BBmirus wants to direct the conversation because of a graph.
    I'd say aamirus has done this as a soft "bait" thread to see if people draw lines in the sand in regards to the data.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

I think graphs like that are better representation of what's going on with covid. Really illustrates where states/countries are at with their fight against the pandemic.

10. ISO #10

Ok LIBTARDS let's look at the facts and the logic here.

According to Google, we humans have about 30 trillion cells in our body, and about 100 million cells die per day. That means about 0.3% of our bodies die per day. But only about 0.07% of the entire US dies per day of COVID. That means that our body's NATURAL CELL DEATH every day is 4 times as much as COVID. But I don't see snowflake liberals trying to cancel biology, do you???????

Pick up a textbook sometime, MORONS !!

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

I think we should 'protest' about it. I saw Best Buy has a new 1000 inch TV in stock.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    Ok LIBTARDS let's look at the facts and the logic here.

According to Google, we humans have about 30 trillion cells in our body, and about 100 million cells die per day. That means about 0.3% of our bodies die per day. But only about 0.07% of the entire US dies per day of COVID. That means that our body's NATURAL CELL DEATH every day is 4 times as much as COVID. But I don't see snowflake liberals trying to cancel biology, do you???????

Pick up a textbook sometime, MORONS !!
    What the fuck does this even mean?

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    He is talking about how swimming pools kill an average of 12 people each day in America so we need to rally together to fill in all the swimming pools. Think about the children! Gun violence can wait!

15. ISO #15

For real though. This is the 'post your favorite strawman' thread.

I think its important that we talk about fake arguments that reinforce our own beliefs to polarize political views.

16. ISO #16

This gave me an idea.
    If one wanted to limit the spread of a flu-like epidemic, looking at the factors that determine the probability that an individual would get the flu could provide an insight into the steps that ought to be taken. For example, hygiene, population density, average temperature, coverage of public transport, average distance from the supermarket, being young (specifically >= 15 <= 30), spending habits at the supermarket (do you buy enough food for an entire week, or do you go shopping everyday), unique genetic mutations that could raise/lower the probability of catching the flu, the presence of a university research hospital etc. could all affect the spread. I wonder if a study has ever been done into this. It could be interesting to see if any factors, in any/all combinations could predict the infection rate.

I am guessing these kinds of studies could be done in more normal times to give hospital administrators/etc the ability to better respond in these kinds of situations (perhaps by reinforcing infrastructure in places where theres more infections?).

I’m curious what factors contribute.

17. ISO #17

He is talking about how swimming pools kill an average of 12 people each day in America so we need to rally together to fill in all the swimming pools. Think about the children! Gun violence can wait!
    Can we put all disrespectful, loyd kids and their parents in swimming pools, in that case?

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

For real though. This is the 'post your favorite strawman' thread.

I think its important that we talk about fake arguments that reinforce our own beliefs to polarize political views.
    Btw, do you think that people actually reinforce their own beliefs by ‘strawmanning’ arguments? They may just be trying to discredit the other person’s arguments by doing that.
    i’m assuming you’re talking about the posta above. If you are not, let me know.

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    You've described the entire field of epidemiology.
    I’m aware. Just not convinced this has been tried to any real degree since most of the responses worldwide to the epidemic have been so mono-dimensional. Most have only talked about Masks and Social Diatancing and not at all about other potential factors. I see these moves as primarily cosmetic, intendes more as a trinket display from governments rather than anything truly attempting to solve problems. Especially seeing as the measures suggested/enforced are so trivial that it doesn’t take more than 5 seconds to arrive at them.

For example. I have just come back home from the Netherlands and when I landed, I was asked if I had been in any othee country apart from Germany in the past two weeks. I could easily have lied and said no and would literally have gotten away without having to go into isolation for 2 weeks.
    Even more amusingly, I could have 20 negative covid tests taken in Germany and I would still have to quarantine. Likewise I could literally have Covid and not know it but could go out if I had only been in Germany.

Interwstingly, truck drivers are exempt from quarantine and from isolation in many places. Cosmetic measures.

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

I’m aware. Just not convinced this has been tried to any real degree since most of the responses worldwide to the epidemic have been so mono-dimensional. Most have only talked about Masks and Social Diatancing and not at all about other potential factors. I see these moves as primarily cosmetic, intendes more as a trinket display from governments rather than anything truly attempting to solve problems. Especially seeing as the measures suggested/enforced are so trivial that it doesn’t take more than 5 seconds to arrive at them.

For example. I have just come back home from the Netherlands and when I landed, I was asked if I had been in any othee country apart from Germany in the past two weeks. I could easily have lied and said no and would literally have gotten away without having to go into isolation for 2 weeks.
    Even more amusingly, I could have 20 negative covid tests taken in Germany and I would still have to quarantine. Likewise I could literally have Covid and not know it but could go out if I had only been in Germany.

Interwstingly, truck drivers are exempt from quarantine and from isolation in many places. Cosmetic measures.
    These measures are all being informed by epidemiologists, combined with political/legal/economic practicalities. I'm not sure what your point is.

23. ISO #23

They’re very poorly thought out. They’re so simplistic and single-minded that a mere child could come up with them. I seriously doubt that people have put any thought into this at all or they would at least be considering alternatives/the negative aspects if those measures more carefully. IMO the only reason they are so popular even now is because people in charge crapped their pants back in March and took the first and simplest decision they could think of just so they wouldn’t lose their clout/popularity with the people who voted them in. And the reason why theyre still in place now is because the people in charge don’t want to admit they’re idiots who have absolutely no clue what they’re doing, and because admitting there was no need for a lockdown could kill theie career.

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

26. ISO #26

Btw, do you think that people actually reinforce their own beliefs by ‘strawmanning’ arguments? They may just be trying to discredit the other person’s arguments by doing that.
    I think those two things are one and the same. Persuasive arguments have targeted objectives of both changing peoples minds as well as insulating people from opposing persuasive arguments. I forget the formal structure for it but I remember studying it in a speech class I took in college. I recognize the processes most easily in religion but that may just be because I find religious persuasive rhetoric to be so absurd.