Why is it acceptable for people to attack your character in a debate? Why is this so incredibly common, especially in younger people? Does lack of experience with debates mean you have to resort to denigrating your opponent’s character instead of attacking their ideas?

Lastly, if you have to denigrate their character, why not just call them stupid instead of attacking their morality?

Why is this so common nowadays?

I’m a fairly aggressive person though I’m also kind of soft in a strange way whereby personal attacks get to me *REALLY* strongly. Whenever I have a debate with someone I’ll in the moment feel as though I have absolutely no leg to stand on if I’m getting personally attacked (especially if I’m getting attacked by multiple people at the same time), and yet (often!) read back and realize that usually what I’m saying is reasonable and should not have caused the (emotional) reaction that it did. I absolutely hate this practice of attacking the person instead of this idea. Like, personally i just dont understand this mindset. I cannot convince myself i am right just because the other person is an idiot. Idiots can have good ideas, too... they need not be their own.