Register

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Führer Trump

1. ISO #251

2. ISO #252

3. ISO #253

Re: Führer Trump

On climate change: theres a lot of fear mongering about how climate change is going to kill us all (in like ~20-30 years. I’m not actually joking). Kids these days are being told they will die in the next few decades. This kind of alarmism is disgusting and needs to stop because its not even correct. The estimated costs of adapting to the new temperature by 2100 are at around 4% of the global GDP. Not only will we survive, we’ll even thrive.

Also since someone mentioned wildfires being caused by climate change? There is actually virtually no relationship between those two. The best predictor of wildfires is... take a guess... its the presence of human settlements! The denser and the more populated the area, the more wildfires there will be. Who woulda thunk :P

Also, a point that always gets brought up in favour of humans causing (or being the main cause of) climate change is the temperature history of the last two hundred (200) years, the point usually being that it started increasing during the Industrial Revolution. And, like, really? That’s such a shit point in my estimation - does anyone ACTUALLY think we were burning enough coal and shit to WARM UP the planet with 1850s technology? I find the two completely unrelated. Remember that we’d just been through the Little Ice Age, its not a stretch to assume that a period of warmer temperatures is gonna follow that

4. ISO #254

5. ISO #255

Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    All of that makes sense but we'd need some data to say if it's actually as bad or worse than comparable fossil fuel generation. Recycling has similar problems (the factories let off a ton of nasty chemicals and a lot of the materials just get dumped into the trash anyway due to impurities. Wouldn't it be better to have people stop using disposable plastic bottles rather than make them feel like it's okay because they can just throw it in a recycling bin?), but studies have still shown that the net effect is much less than if we did not recycle.

Plus, while home-use solar equipment just gets trashed now, if the business gets large enough then we can expect that the materials begin to be recycled and regulated, especially with the large solar farm companies that are starting to pop up all over.
    This is a very good point. I also just realized that its not appropriate to compare municipality solar generation with that of residential at all simply because the energy grid does not store the energy it creates in 'batteries' as we think of them. They do crazy stuff like filling a lake on a mountain using the excess energy so that they can recover that energy through gravity when its needed.

Anyways, I will reach out to that professor at some point to try to get some real data on the solar bit.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

6. ISO #256

Not only was Australia's bushfires exacerbated by the effects of climate change, it was predominantly started by the climate itself too (lightning). Not to mention our fire prevention measures as a country that expects these kind of fires every single year were straining, leaving majority of relief efforts to be picked up by VOLUNTEER firefighters local and abroad. Look at how stressed this volunteer firefighter is.

7. ISO #257

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    Not only was Australia's bushfires exacerbated by the effects of climate change, it was predominantly started by the climate itself too (lightning). Not to mention our fire prevention measures as a country that expects these kind of fires every single year were straining, leaving majority of relief efforts to be picked up by VOLUNTEER firefighters local and abroad. Look at how stressed this volunteer firefighter is.
    Well sure, But you can't place all the blame on the climate. Concepts like the "Smokey the bear effect" and the fact that there are more people moving into more rural areas are substantial factors. I have a friend who works for a fire department in Austin Texas who is all pissed off that they don't let them do control burns any more. He says the fuel is building and at some point there will be a fire that can not be managed.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

8. ISO #258

NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) Inspector Ben Shepherd said earlier this week lightning was predominantly responsible for the bushfire crisis.

"I can confidently say the majority of the larger fires that we have been dealing with have been a result of fires coming out of remote areas as a result of dry lightning storms," he said.
    Our fire seasons start earlier and earlier every year as it gets increasingly hotter across the board. This temperature rise turns the country into just one giant kindle. I agree the controversy around back burning is dumb - it HAS to be done to ensure fire safety, however it's kind of irrelevant. Fires are becoming more and more common and more devastating, just because we have fire breaks in certain areas doesn't change the fact that the rate and intensity is increasing. I've personally experienced two natural disasters in the past decade that is linked to the increasing temperature - the nation wide burning at the start of the year and the state wide flooding of Queensland in 2010-11 (78% of the state was listed as a disaster zone).

Are there other factors to these events other than climate change? Absolutely. Does it mitigate the status of climate change? Absolutely not. Legislating more robust fire break rules in favor of fire control is 'easy', taking on climate change itself is the real battle.

9. ISO #259

10. ISO #260

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    Are there other factors to these events other than climate change? Absolutely. Does it mitigate the status of climate change? Absolutely not. Legislating more robust fire break rules in favor of fire control is 'easy', taking on climate change itself is the real battle.
    I agree with you but its not about fire breaks. In nature forests go through cyclical forest fires which burns up the built up sticks/leaves/brush without getting hot enough to kill the old growth trees. This fertilizes the forests and eliminates the built up 'fuel.' The "Smokey the bear effect" describes how preventing forest fires just builds up fuel so when a fire does happen it burns so hot it kills everything.

In a word- We flat out need forest fires to prevent harmful forest fires. But this is unacceptable to many people with our civilizations building more and more in rural areas so we try to prevent any burning. You just end up with less overall fires but when they happen they burn half the country and kill the old growth trees that could easily survive the fires that would occur naturally.

11. ISO #261

Firebreaks/controlled fires is pretty interchangeable here, if you say one the other is implied. But ya I understand controlled burns I live in rural Australia where I can see and smell these being done regularly. It still isn't enough. Read up on the fires that happened here and you will see that controlled burns did very little to contain it. The major cause is widely accepted as being climate change.

12. ISO #262

13. ISO #263

Will do. I can only speak intelligently about the poor concepts and practices that cause issues in America. I should learn more about your area before jumping to the conclusion that its the same.

14. ISO #264

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Will do. I can only speak intelligently about the poor concepts and practices that cause issues in America. I should learn more about your area before jumping to the conclusion that its the same.
    Did you perchance know that the day you posted this was the 102nd anniversary of the end of WW1

15. ISO #265

16. ISO #266

17. ISO #267

18. ISO #268

19. ISO #269

20. ISO #270

HEY, MY THREAD! What have you done to my baby
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

21. ISO #271