Let's face it - Americans are smart and are top dog. That's why they have the highest concentration of billionaires, millionaires, and are major intellectual culture and technological exporters of the world. Calling Americans dumb greatly oversimplifies the country as a whole because it's not as if all American are some blue-collar, gun-owning obese lazy people. They're a melting pot of different people and comparing yourself, most likely a post-secondary educated person, with the lower end of the bell curve tail of intelligence makes you look like a complete idiot in comparison because that's not fair.
Anyway, here are some tips and tricks Americans can do to retain its superpower status:
1. Stop glorifying the forefathers and the importance of civil liberties. People need to start prioritizing utilitarianism over individualism for their country. If getting a vaccine means you can prevent infecting 10 other people, then that's a choice patriots should be doing - this is not a hard decision because it does not involve financial or mortal sacrifices. The forefathers of 250 years ago are no longer relevant in today's society and following their directives should only be strictly ceremonial to acknowledge your historical roots.
2. Stop glorifying political violence. Yes, you all should be ashamed of the Boston tea party, civil wars, and the civil rights movement. Given the circumstances of the time, your country had no choice but to resort to those laws, but they should not be glorified. Because it has, your history has inherently taught the children that it's OK to push back against tyrants if you don't get your own way. This itself can be interpreted in dangerous ways, which has resulted in an anti-intellectualism movement in the US that has been hindering societal progress.
3. Secularize your entire state. Have independent watchdogs in place to ensure the separation of the church and state. Both shouldn't be related and if politicians are mixing them together, they can be removed from positions of power and replaced. People can keep their faith, but it must not be involved with public office because there are contradictions of Judeo-Crhstian values and individual freedoms. No, God didn't grant you your rights or liberties - government does.
4. Education investment and reform. There's such an imbalance in performance between all of your states that your federal government needs to do something. Allow states to specialize in whatever regional industries they've got going on, but ensure that a national standard is set for all people so everyone has a minimum level of education that prepares them for intellectual conversation with others. No, most people don't need a university-level chemistry or physics class to graduate, but at least make sure they understand how maths and sciences principles work in the global world and political compass orientation so people can intellectual debate politics correctly. If you can't tell the difference between fascism from communism to socialism to totalitarianism and conservatism to libertarianism, then that's a huge red flag.
5. Find loopholes and declare war on the NRA. Once they're removed as a lobby, start a gun buyback program to rid cities and towns of guns. Above a certain police staff / capita, guns are automatically banned. No semi-automatics or assault rifles automatically banned with allotment for hunting rifles and pistols for certain people (e.g., rural areas). There is no recreational need to ever shoot so many bullets in such a short amount of time unless it's for warfare. And an average Joe on the farm isn't going to war soon unless they're drafted.
6. Remove insurance companies away from medical companies and establish national healthcare plans. Sick and ill people who have the health resources they need mean a more healthier people and therefore a healthier and more productive labour force. But people are going to need to fucking accept that they'll have to pay higher taxes to support this system. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Any other questions for complex problems, ask me. I have two degrees.