Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Has anyone played this game? I own it and absolutely adore it, and I think it could work well in a forum setting

Forensic Scientist - knows who murderer and accomplice are, and means/clue cards selected
    Investigator (at least 2) - basically a citizen
    (optional) Witness
    - knows who murderer and accomplice are, but not who is who
    Murderer - selects murder means and clue cards
    (optional) Accomplice - basically a goon

The game is basically a mix of mafia and clue. The way the game works is this. Each player except for the Forensic Scientist (the tabletop game is 12 max, for here it could be more idk) has 4 means/weapons cards dealt to them, and 4 clues/evidence cards. For example, you may be dealt these cards:

Means:

Pistol
    Gaming Console
    Vase
    Dumbbell

Clues:

Gloves
    Name Card
    Panties
    Umbrella

There is a forensic scientist, a murderer, and the rest of the players are investigators (advanced rules have more roles such as accomplice and witness). The murderer looks at their cards and chooses 1 means card and 1 clue card. The forensic scientist knows who the murderer is, and what their selection is for the means and clue cards, and it is their job to convey to the investigators what those cards are by selecting from a set of "scene" tiles. The set looks like this:

Cause of Death (6 choices)
    Location (24 choices)
    4 random scene tiles (6 choices on each)

So a total of 6 choices are made. The forensic scientist is not allowed to give any other clues to the investigators.

A quick example below:

Spoiler : Example :

5 people are playing, 1 Forensic Scientist, 1 Murderer, and 3 Investigators

I, banana am randomly dealt murderer. I am also dealt the 8 cards listed above, while the other 3 investigators are also dealt 4 means and 4 clue cards each. All of these cards are public information, so I take some time to look over all the means and clue cards that each player has, and have to decide which 2 cards of mine I want to choose. Of the cards that are dealt to me, I choose the following:

Means: Dumbbell
    Clue: Panties

I send these choices to the forensic scientist (SuperJack). Now it's up to him to try to lead people towards my car choices through the scene tiles. He is not allowed to say anything else while he is the F.S. For the Cause of Death, these are the 6 choices:

- Suffocation
    - Severe Injury
    - Loss of Blood
    - Illness / Disease
    - Poisoning
    - Accident

Jack is trying his best to convey to the investigators the two cards selected (dumbbell/panties). He decides to select Severe Injury for the cause of death. For the location (I'm not going to list all 24 choices at this time), he selects Bedroom.

He is given 4 other random clue tiles, he selects 1 option on each clue tile, to try to paint a picture of the scene

Everybody debates, and is given only 1 vote each to determine the combination of means/clue cards that were chosen. When a player makes their official guess, the forensic scientist responds with a simple "yes/no". "Yes" meaning the game is over, the investigators have won, or "No" meaning at least one of the two cards guessed is not correct. If someone guesses "Vase/Panties", there is no indication given that they got one of the two cards correct. A simple "No" is given.

For our forum game we'll make the official guess like this:

-vote Vase/Panties

If you guess incorrectly and the F.S. says "No", then you can continue to deliberate with the other players, but you cannot make a 2nd formal guess.

If everyone makes their guess and is incorrect, the game ends and the murderer wins

For the forum setting we could put a 24 or 48 hour limit on the game. On tabletop these rounds last 5-10 minutes max, so a short game is expected

(Optional) - The Forensic Scientist can replace up to 2 of the 4 random scene tiles they were dealt. For the forum game, this may slow things down so I would probably just skip this

Spoiler : Variants :
    *5 or 6 cards for Means/Clues if the game is too easy at 4 cards each

*Witness/Accomplice - these roles can only exist together. The way it works is this:

At the beginning of the game, for Forensic Scientist informs the Witness who the murderer and accomplice are, but does not tell them which one is which, or what cards were chosen. So the pm would look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Witness pm
    The murderer and accomplice are BananaCucho and Marshmallow Marshall, in no particular order
    At the end of the game if the Investigators guess the means/clue cards correctly, the murderer and accomplice are given 1 shot to take out the witness. If they guess correctly who the witness is, they win the game. So the witness, even though they know who the scum team is, has to try to sway their team towards the right selection without being too obvious about it. If you are an obvious witness you're just dooming your team.

So that's basically it, as I said it's a nice lil mix of mafia/clue. Every time I have played this game it has been a success, I have only met 1 person who didn't like it and that was because they just wanted to sit and play on their phone the whole time and didn't really try to play. So, who wants to play?

Signs:
    1 - Bannacho
    Last edited by BananaCucho; August 3rd, 2020 at 12:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Re: Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

/sign, mostly for the variants though because else it looks a bit boring on forum, but maybe that's just me.

What does the murderer do, debate and try to mislead others?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

Re: Deception: Murder in Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    You look boring on forum

And yeah basically
    Hey, I look boring IRL too, tyvm
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :