Determinism and Free Will
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1
    Ganelon

Determinism and Free Will

Do you believe the universe is deterministic? If so, what does that mean for free will?
    personally I strongly believe in determinism, and I think that free will can still exist in a deterministic world (although please don’t ask me to explain why)

2. ISO #2

Re: Determinism and Free Will

If particles truly exhibit random behaviour on the quantum level then determinism is scientifically wrong. And at this point that very much seems to be the case, from what I understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

3. ISO #3
    Ganelon

I was thinking of QM when I wrote that post.
    its also entirely possible that we’ve reached the limits of human understanding (for now), and hence events that are actually deterministic (if you look hard enough) appear to be mostly random to us

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanas View Post
    QM? Quantum mechanics? Are you so familiar with that subject that you gave it a little nickname?
    It's a commonly used acronym :P
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

6. ISO #6
    Ganelon

I’m not familiar with it intimately, but it’s a fairly standard acronym iirc

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    I was thinking of QM when I wrote that post.
    its also entirely possible that we’ve reached the limits of human understanding (for now), and hence events that are actually deterministic (if you look hard enough) appear to be mostly random to us
    It's kinda interesting how unnatural the idea that the universe is governed by truly random phenomena is to human beings. I wonder whether that's based in some genuine insight or just something to do with how we're programmed.

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    It's kinda interesting how unnatural the idea that the universe is governed by truly random phenomena is to human beings. I wonder whether that's based in some genuine insight or just something to do with how we're programmed.
    Like, my natural assumption was the same as yours that it's a deterministic process that currently appears random. I'm guessing that's most people's first guess

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    good point.

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.