MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate - Page 3
Register

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 356
  1. #101

  2. #102

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    It's mental gymnastics to claim that throwing criticism at someone for using a certain word over another is suppressing their free speech? Isn't that exactly what your own argument is?

    I don't personally care which word he uses, it's his right as the creator and if he feels like he wants to use a certain word to be kinder to others then so be it. The only pressuring I see is coming from opponents like you who want him to use a specific word against his will.

  3. #103

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Id be a lot more amenable to this if the word used was gassed, because I literally cannot think of any other context where that was used. even then, hey, its just a word, I wouldnt care if you guys gassed me instead of lynching me.
    "If I was a jewish person, I wouldn't feel bad if we used the word gassed instead of lynch. There are other times in history where gassing has been done outside of Germany 1940s". (To be clear, I don't agree with this logic, now am I advocating for the word gassed to be used. I'm just demonstrating how this doesn't work.)

    I get why the americans here don't associate lynchings with horrible black killings in the south, and instead associate it to a way to remove someone from the mafia game. They learned the game in middle school so they learned to associate that word first. Then they learned about Jim Crow. American schools aren't too keen to show the attrocities that historical America has committed. But imagine a scenario where we did teach that to our kids. It'd be fucking weird to use lynchings as a word in mafia at that point. Either the game wouldn't have been played, or another word would be used.

    Just because you don't see how lynch could be racial in another country (that you don't live in), doesn't mean it doesn't have connotations.

    But. I'll admit, "lynch" doesn't hold a strong connotation for me, as I'm not black and didn't grow up with these connotations. I am willing to have the empathy to see that it could cause discomfort for others in a game.

    Mafia isn't supposed to be about how the person dies, it's supposed to be about social deduction.

    Like, what if our word here was "fucked", and we were all used to it. And someone came to our site saying that's weird, and we had to tell them "oh no! we don't mean literal fucking, we just mean that they're out of the game".

    And even if I would concede the point that it's not racial, there's violent aspect to the word "lynch". Eliminated, executed, voted out, are all equivalent. And on the site here it's common enough to say "lets vote for x" instead of "lets lynch x" although the latter is also said.

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  4. #104

  5. #105

  6. #106

  7. #107

  8. #108

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    i would not play mafia with someone who felt offended by the word lynch
    My goal here isn't to get anyone to stop using the word lynch in their own language. My problem here is that freedom of speech is being perverted to belittle and attack another site's right to express themselves the way they want, for whatever reason they want. And there are assumptions that are being made about that staff's intentions that are pure speculation.

    If anything, this thread(and specifically this post) has shown that Sc2mafia would rather make a point to be less inclusive than to have a meaningful conversation on the pros and cons of their decision.

    We will never know how many people we turn away because of our word lynch. However, a legitimate devil's advocate to this would be that the number is not significant, and there are other areas that we can improve to make sc2mafia a more inclusive community. That number is almost certainly not zero though.

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  9. #109

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    LMAOOOO imagine being so triggered by lynch that you have to replace it with eliminate... because of racial implications
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/26243-Official-ruling-regarding-the-usage-of-Lynch-on-MU
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...the-word-lynch

    the thread owner, Amrock, is a person of color, and while he's not staff, he's a big community pillar in MU. He even liked narrator and organizes a bunch of games on MU. However, when there were racist slurs being used by people in games he was hosting in the narrator discord channel, he politely said that he didn't want to be a part of the narrator community, because I was too slow to act. And when he left, he didn't just take himself. The people that he brought weren't as interested in playing in narrator because he wasn't organizing them.

    So that there is an actual player cost of not being inclusive. Fuck him right? Fuck someone else's feelings. I should rather let someone that was organizing community narrator games daily go, and have my misplaced sense of freedom of speech.

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  10. #110

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...the-word-lynch

    the thread owner, Amrock, is a person of color, and while he's not staff, he's a big community pillar in MU. He even liked narrator and organizes a bunch of games on MU. However, when there were racist slurs being used by people in games he was hosting in the narrator discord channel, he politely said that he didn't want to be a part of the narrator community, because I was too slow to act. And when he left, he didn't just take himself. The people that he brought weren't as interested in playing in narrator because he wasn't organizing them.

    So that there is an actual player cost of not being inclusive. Fuck him right? Fuck someone else's feelings. I should rather let someone that was organizing community narrator games daily go, and have my misplaced sense of freedom of speech.
    Some people only care about player retention when it isn't an inconvenience to themselves or their personal beliefs unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

  11. #111

  12. #112

  13. #113

  14. #114

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    We should have a poll to decide which word is best

    Fucked is good
    yeeted is semi-okay
    Pew pew pew is pretty awesome
    single vote polls in a multiple choice selection is how trump got elected.

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  15. #115

  16. #116

  17. #117

  18. #118

  19. #119

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    i thought about proposing "disappeared" but that's spooky as fuck.
    Could fit a spooky/ghosty theme! What about a Godfather that is customizable - each host could change the avatar and kill word depending on their theme?
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

  20. #120

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Damn that one's pretty good

    "deathworlds has been cancelled! Stand by for (maybe, if the host isn't terrible) the host's day end post and review!"
    We did it boys, deathworlds is no more"
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown1234 View Post
    BRO HUUUUUUMP!! That's so Mesk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass

  21. #121

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Could fit a spooky/ghosty theme! What about a Godfather that is customizable - each host could change the avatar and kill word depending on their theme?
    This is the first actual good suggestion to come out of this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown1234 View Post
    BRO HUUUUUUMP!! That's so Mesk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass

  22. #122
    Ganelon
    Guest

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    My goal here isn't to get anyone to stop using the word lynch in their own language. My problem here is that freedom of speech is being perverted to belittle and attack another site's right to express themselves the way they want, for whatever reason they want. And there are assumptions that are being made about that staff's intentions that are pure speculation.

    If anything, this thread(and specifically this post) has shown that Sc2mafia would rather make a point to be less inclusive than to have a meaningful conversation on the pros and cons of their decision.

    We will never know how many people we turn away because of our word lynch. However, a legitimate devil's advocate to this would be that the number is not significant, and there are other areas that we can improve to make sc2mafia a more inclusive community. That number is almost certainly not zero though.
    This community is inclusive as fuck. Its an online community and nobody gives a hoot about anyone elses skin colour, group allegiance or any other charactetistic. SC2Mafia does not need to be more inclusive than it already is. And if people get turned away because of an innocuous word, thats on them, not on us.
    Nobody is being belittled or attacked here. Everyone is acting like I want their freedom of speech stifled; I dont give a shit what word they use; again, the issue is the attitude that led to the change in the first place, not the action. The action itself is meaningless.

  23. #123

  24. #124
    Ganelon
    Guest

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    "If I was a jewish person, I wouldn't feel bad if we used the word gassed instead of lynch. There are other times in history where gassing has been done outside of Germany 1940s". (To be clear, I don't agree with this logic, now am I advocating for the word gassed to be used. I'm just demonstrating how this doesn't work.)

    I get why the americans here don't associate lynchings with horrible black killings in the south, and instead associate it to a way to remove someone from the mafia game. They learned the game in middle school so they learned to associate that word first. Then they learned about Jim Crow. American schools aren't too keen to show the attrocities that historical America has committed. But imagine a scenario where we did teach that to our kids. It'd be fucking weird to use lynchings as a word in mafia at that point. Either the game wouldn't have been played, or another word would be used.

    Just because you don't see how lynch could be racial in another country (that you don't live in), doesn't mean it doesn't have connotations.

    But. I'll admit, "lynch" doesn't hold a strong connotation for me, as I'm not black and didn't grow up with these connotations. I am willing to have the empathy to see that it could cause discomfort for others in a game.

    Mafia isn't supposed to be about how the person dies, it's supposed to be about social deduction.

    Like, what if our word here was "fucked", and we were all used to it. And someone came to our site saying that's weird, and we had to tell them "oh no! we don't mean literal fucking, we just mean that they're out of the game".

    And even if I would concede the point that it's not racial, there's violent aspect to the word "lynch". Eliminated, executed, voted out, are all equivalent. And on the site here it's common enough to say "lets vote for x" instead of "lets lynch x" although the latter is also said.
    Ive played mafia for a very long time and literally not a single time have I heard or seen anyone use the term lynch in a racist way. You dont even get this in the mod, with its visual executions and the ability to pick black skins or whatever that customization option is called.
    theres no reason for people to feel offended at this word. if its so racist, why has it literally taken ~10 years for something to be done about it? this was not a serious topic of discussion a year ago, much less somebting that people wouldve pushed through. the only reason this change happened was because of the george Floyd protests/riots.

    yes, theres indeed a violent aspect to it, but you know what? this is a game about deceiving others, lynching, manipulation, and killing people at night. if people are so thin skinned as not to be able to come to terms with that, maybe theyre better off not playing this game.

  25. #125
    Ganelon
    Guest

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    The problem is that I *am* Jewish; its not a hypothetical. And Im telling you that if the word we used was gassed I literally wouldnt give a shit.

  26. #126

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Ive played mafia for a very long time and literally not a single time have I heard or seen anyone use the term lynch in a racist way. You dont even get this in the mod, with its visual executions and the ability to pick black skins or whatever that customization option is called.
    theres no reason for people to feel offended at this word. if its so racist, why has it literally taken ~10 years for something to be done about it? this was not a serious topic of discussion a year ago, much less somebting that people wouldve pushed through. the only reason this change happened was because of the george Floyd protests/riots.

    yes, theres indeed a violent aspect to it, but you know what? this is a game about deceiving others, lynching, manipulation, and killing people at night. if people are so thin skinned as not to be able to come to terms with that, maybe theyre better off not playing this game.
    You literally want to punish any type of emotional mafia play, such as insinuating a player's intelligence is not up to speed to comprehend current events, so as not to drive people away from the site. Where's this "get some thicker skin" attitude there?

    So do you want to retain people or do you not care, which is it
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

  27. #127
    Ganelon
    Guest

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    I really, really think that in spite of all of our shortcomings, SC2Mafia is doing much better than most other sites when it comes to the general culture.
    Last edited by ; July 27th, 2020 at 04:44 PM.

  28. #128

  29. #129

  30. #130

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    while we have similar views here banana, this is serious discussion.

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  31. #131

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    The problem is that I *am* Jewish; its not a hypothetical. And Im telling you that if the word we used was gassed I literally wouldnt give a shit.
    i misinterpreted your original idea and can concede that you have some very thick skin. Most jewish people that I know would be "wtf no that's not ok".

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  32. #132

  33. #133
    Ganelon
    Guest

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Seeing as I said some less than nice things in this thread, Ive deleted my own posts as one directly hurt site integrity. I apologize for this and I will refrain from posting the problematic things Ive posted in the future.
    No, I still think its ridiculous and even dishonest to change the word lynch, but thats a different issue.

  34. #134

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    let's break this down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Ive played mafia for a very long time and literally not a single time have I heard or seen anyone use the term lynch in a racist way. You dont even get this in the mod, with its visual executions and the ability to pick black skins or whatever that customization option is called.
    I'm glad you haven't had negative racial experiences against you, but that's not the case with everyone in the world. Just because you haven't had them doesn't mean others have not. And just because you haven't had them, doesn't mean their experiences should be invalidated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    theres no reason for people to feel offended at this word.
    let me correct this for you:

    "i don't care about the reasons that other people might feel offended with this word because i've never been affected by it."

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    if its so racist, why has it literally taken ~10 years for something to be done about it?
    about 170 years ago one could have used similar logic for lynching black. "ten years ago it was ok to lynch people! why do anything about it now!!" this argument is ridiculous for not one but two reasons. using the word "lynch" in a game is not the same as murdering black people. but it's also ridiculous because just because we did something 10 years ago, doesn't mean it's still ok to do it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    this was not a serious topic of discussion a year ago, much less somebting that people wouldve pushed through. the only reason this change happened was because of the george Floyd protests/riots.
    seems like you're invalidating the george floyd protests by calling them riots. sure there were some riots, but what does rioting have to do with "lynch" on the mu site.

    protests sure. the protests have once again put police killings (some could call it lynchings) back in the forefront of the american spotlight.

    and you're actually absolutely right that the reactionto george floyd's murder caused this change. Amrock says as much in his thread, the thread that the MU community leaders eludes to as much.

    i don't think that invalidates the sentiment though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    yes, theres indeed a violent aspect to it, but you know what? this is a game about deceiving others, lynching, manipulation, and killing people at night. if people are so thin skinned as not to be able to come to terms with that, maybe theyre better off not playing this game.
    this could be it's own topic all together, but parts of this upcoming rant are related to what we're tlaking about here.

    personally, i'm not a huge fan of the role play that goes on in mafia. i actually watched a game of DnD the other day and now that I actually know what it is, I would never play it myself. I only like as much flavor as i need to understand the mechanics of the game, the mechanics that make things easy to explain. take arsonist for example. it's easier to explain that someone is dousing someone with something flammable, gasoline, and at some later point in time, everyone doused will die. and that people can lie about being doused, and that we don't know when it's optimal for the arsonist to blow everyone up.

    and back to your point, yes the game is about deceiving others, manipulation, but i don't really want to dwell on the fact that we're killing people. they're just out of the game, and it's up to their teammates to win it all for them. i don't want to dwell on the fact that people are being killed by the mafia (by the way those killings are brutal), or lynchings (because those are also brutal). i don't want to role play that stuff. just focus on the lies and trickery and social deduction.

    and i also find that i can sell this game to other older people when i focus less on the role play, and more on the social deduction aspects.

    and that's one of my main points here. it's stupid to get worked over some tradition that might hurt others and it's stupid to not give a fuck about them. and it's stupid to generalize that these people would be not fun to play with. it's stereotypical nonsense.

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  35. #135

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Seeing as I said some less than nice things in this thread, Ive deleted my own posts as one directly hurt site integrity. I apologize for this and I will refrain from posting the problematic things Ive posted in the future.
    No, I still think its ridiculous and even dishonest to change the word lynch, but thats a different issue.
    wait, so now it's dishonest?

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  36. #136

  37. #137

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Ganelon, I have, countless times witnessed people on the mod picking racist names and then spamming to lynch the black people. Or the Jews. Really whatever the topic of the month is.


    Personally, having been around mafia enough I am desensitized to the word. And even outside of mafia, Id agree the degeneracy of the Internet spamming noose emojis everywhere makes it seem pretty innocuous.

    But to the average person who has no clue wtf a Pepe is, the word is a pretty dark one. Voss highlighted this in his post about his narrator game.

    As a developer, if I have the choice to hardcode lynched or eliminated and one of those two scares users away, its frankly a no-brainer.

    Part of the basis of this thread is you seem to think MU only changed it because people forced them to? Can you provide a reference for that?
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

  38. #138

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    I like how you literally call me SJW for feeling strongly about this and yet wont call out the site changing a word that didnt need changing.
    This is hypocrisy 101.

    It doesnt matter, right? So why are you upset about it?

    ...is it the other kind of doesnt matter where it does matter to you?

    1. One sites choice to change their vocabulary is their choice. It doesnt effect you in literally any way. Why do you care? Why are you outraged?
    2. Some people DO get offended by the historical context of the word lynch. Ok, go them. I dont care, they do care... why should I be an asshole and continue to use the word if it makes them uncomfortable? Freedom of speech? Just because you CAN say something doesnt mean you SHOULD say it.
    3. I dont know if youve really recognized this... but you are someone who comes across as offensive to some people. Im very confused as to why you are so sensitive about the topic freedom of speech. You literally got banned from another community for calling someone retarded after they asked you not to call people retarded. Your response was thats retarded. Why is it hard for you to honor that request? This is a genuine question coming from someone who is a people pleaser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    @Stealthbomber16 is Light scum this game?
    you said hes more passive aggressive as scum
    Quote Originally Posted by deathworlds View Post
    Uh, SB16 isn't a part of this game
    Hopefully you'll get banned and hit by a truck.

  39. #139

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Id also like to point out that both in their bot and ours, some developer literally wrote lynched into the code. Its hardcoded to say that word. Im not sure who originally created the votecounter script (oops?) but that person had to manually write the part has been lynched.


    Considering the creator is potentially liable for any results of his code, IMO the most important rights here are the developers. IMO he can change his code to whatever he wants and nobody else can claim that hes somehow infringing on their rights.
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

  40. #140

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    "If someone is offended by a word that's their problem, not yours"

    Actually no, it's your problem if you aren't trying to be an antisocial edgelord. When you form social relationships with people you learn that some people have different sensitivities to topics because of their upbringing or personal experiences. Some terms might be racially charged, some people might have uncomfortable memories associated with certain things. You can absolutely disregard other people's feelings, and pretend it's their problem. But the consequences of doing so are your problem.

    Your entire argument is about criticizing and punishing someone exercising their free speech by using a word to be kinder to others, because you think that you shouldn't be kind to those people because of their politics, and you're worried about them "winning" or whatever the fuck. That's really all it boils down to. Personally, I'd rather just be good to people when it doesn't inconvenience me. I don't understand why it's so unpalatable to not be an asshole to other people.

  41. #141

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    "If someone is offended by a word that's their problem, not yours"

    Actually no, it's your problem if you aren't trying to be an antisocial edgelord. When you form social relationships with people you learn that some people have different sensitivities to topics because of their upbringing or personal experiences. Some terms might be racially charged, some people might have uncomfortable memories associated with certain things. You can absolutely disregard other people's feelings, and pretend it's their problem. But the consequences of doing so are your problem.

    Your entire argument is about criticizing and punishing someone exercising their free speech by using a word to be kinder to others, because you think that you shouldn't be kind to those people because of their politics, and you're worried about them "winning" or whatever the fuck. That's really all it boils down to. Personally, I'd rather just be good to people when it doesn't inconvenience me. I don't understand why it's so unpalatable to not be an asshole to other people.
    Because slippery slope that hasnt happened
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

  42. #142

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    honestly using the term eliminate better helps describe the process to confused newcomers anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    @Stealthbomber16 is Light scum this game?
    you said hes more passive aggressive as scum
    Quote Originally Posted by deathworlds View Post
    Uh, SB16 isn't a part of this game
    Hopefully you'll get banned and hit by a truck.

  43. #143

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Personally, having been around mafia enough I am desensitized to the word.
    just want to highlight this phrase here. we've all been playing this game for a long time. we're the weird ones that are desensitized. it's important to recognize the social bubble we may live in.

    FM XVII: Bonney Jewelry (Journalist)
    FM XVIII: Kalou (Savage Godfather)
    FM XX: Joseph Bertrand (Marshall)
    FM XXI: USA (Escort)
    FM XV: Whiskey (Whore)

  44. #144

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    just want to highlight this phrase here. we've all been playing this game for a long time. we're the weird ones that are desensitized. it's important to recognize the social bubble we may live in.
    ^^
    I imagine if I haven't been in the mafia community since middle school I would be appalled by the use of the word lynched upon first coming into contact with it in this context
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown1234 View Post
    BRO HUUUUUUMP!! That's so Mesk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass

  45. #145
    Ganelon
    Guest

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    This is hypocrisy 101.

    It doesnt matter, right? So why are you upset about it?

    ...is it the other kind of doesnt matter where it does matter to you?

    1. One sites choice to change their vocabulary is their choice. It doesnt effect you in literally any way. Why do you care? Why are you outraged?
    2. Some people DO get offended by the historical context of the word lynch. Ok, go them. I dont care, they do care... why should I be an asshole and continue to use the word if it makes them uncomfortable? Freedom of speech? Just because you CAN say something doesnt mean you SHOULD say it.
    3. I dont know if youve really recognized this... but you are someone who comes across as offensive to some people. Im very confused as to why you are so sensitive about the topic freedom of speech. You literally got banned from another community for calling someone retarded after they asked you not to call people retarded. Your response was thats retarded. Why is it hard for you to honor that request? This is a genuine question coming from someone who is a people pleaser.
    1. It doesnt affect me directly - dont you see? Everyones is missing the point here. Its jot the word change that pisses me off. I wouldnt give a shit if they started calling it execution, outvoting, election it anything else. My problem is the underlying social attitude that led to it being even considered. And, I WILL continue to use that word. Its impossible to predict what someone else will feel offended by; in not going to start policing my speech just because someone is displeased with a neutral word.

    2. Thats their problem. If they do get offended, they should sort themselves out and stop being so sensitive. Youre not being an asshole by using a word. Theyre being the asshole by requesting you use a different word that literally means the same thing and then claim you to be a racist who hates people for not complying with their request.

    3. Ive already said Im kind of a cunt and I dont really care all that much about my public image. I care about being right, and acting that way. Much more important than being nice. If youre right, people cannot assail you unjustly. Never tell lies, and I dont. As for me getting banned... that site banned blink for toxicity but didnt ban MANY other players who either egged blink on or were toxic towards him. I would get myself banned from that website again, I dont play with toxic smug weenies. Theyre he worst kind to play with. And the problem is that in my view, these people are the eaxact same people as the ones pushing to change the word lynch to execute. Or the word retarded. I tar them with the same brush.

    unrelated, but if anyone else is a programmer here/studying programming, I borrowed the term smug weenie from smug lisp weenie. I tar the people stealth is referring to and their ilk with the same brush as the smug lisp weenies.

  46. #146

  47. #147
    Ganelon
    Guest

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    For the record, I actually dont know where you are coming from suggesting that changing the word lynch to execute would help with inclusivity. Many long-standing players with views similar to my own were probably displeased with MUs move. I would imagine some of them even left. And its jot the only thing MU has done. Theyre also changing the logo (because it has a noose in it), and theres been discussion on banning the word AIDS (as a curse word). Theres many things happening on that website, the lynch debacle is simply the most glamorous one.

  48. #148
    Ganelon
    Guest

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Apoc, an FM staff member there was quite displeased with this move, too.

  49. #149

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Many long-standing players with views similar to my own were probably displeased with MU’s move. I would imagine some of them even left.
    If you're going to quit a site over a word change... how was it that you put it?

    if people are so thin skinned as not to be able to come to terms with that, maybe they’re better off not playing this game.
    Get some thicker skin. That's a pretty pathetic excuse to quit a site over lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

  50. #150

    Re: MafiaUniverse replaced the word lynch with eliminate

    lets say I had to pick between group A and B.

    Group A: Lynch must stay! Else we lose our free speech!
    Group B: lynch offends me! remove it!


    The ideal situation is option C: a word that neither party can whine about. And thats all MU did. So I still dont understand your rage. Im about 99% to doing the same on our site because I still cant see a why not?, and it would take legit 5 seconds to change
    Have you ever heard the tragedy of Darth Jar Jar the wise?

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •