Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM
Register

User Tag List

Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1

  2. #2

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    If the universe is just a simulation we "exist" in, that implies there is a reality that is not part of the simulation.

    In that reality, do you think mafia/FM is played?
    Well, yeah. Given that the mafia exists. That's the gods/creators of the simulation playing mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

  3. #3

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    I think about this a lot, and its very possible we're in an advanced simulation like Dark City Westworld or the Matrix. If we are there might be a "safe word" which will pull us out. I haven't found it yet, though I've tried very hard....I would like to believe there is more to the story of creation that time and chance, w/e that might be.

  4. #4

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    If the universe is just a simulation we "exist" in, that implies there is a reality that is not part of the simulation.

    In that reality, do you think mafia/FM is played?
    Technically speaking we're in THE MOST realistic simulation of reality ------ reality itself.

    So because technically we can call reality itself a simulation of itself, I dont really see a point in considering things "outside the simulation".

    Also:

    Just because MartinGG99 is the most accurate simulation of MartinGG99's personality
    That doesn't imply or mean that there are other MartinGG99 personalities.

    Its just a wording gimmick to me that doesn't really mean anything.

    And even if there were another reality out there, our reality is that the reality is we cannot interact with it as far as I know.

    Or maybe i'm just being an [Redacted] right now. But if I am, then its still pointless to me on the basis that it's my opinion.
    Last edited by MartinGG99; July 21st, 2020 at 02:58 PM.
    A.K.A "That One Idiot"

  5. #5

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinGG99 View Post
    Technically speaking we're in THE MOST realistic simulation of reality ------ reality itself.

    So because technically we can call reality itself a simulation of itself, I dont really see a point in considering things "outside the simulation".

    Also:

    Just because MartinGG99 is the most accurate simulation of MartinGG99's personality
    That doesn't imply or mean that there are other MartinGG99 personalities.

    Its just a wording gimmick to me that doesn't really mean anything.

    And even if there were another reality out there, our reality is that the reality is we cannot interact with it as far as I know.

    Or maybe i'm just being an idiot right now. But if I am, then its still pointless to me on the basis that it's my opinion.
    what
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinGG99 View Post
    I'll take that as confirmation that I'm an [Redacted].

    Therefore its pointless to me (as that's my opinion)! : D
    lol your words not mine dude

    I would never call you an [Redacted]
    Last edited by BananaCucho; July 21st, 2020 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

  8. #8

  9. #9

  10. #10

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    If we live in a simulation, then isn't all of what we're doing rather pointless? And therefore, shouldn't we just exclude that possibility, especially since it's not disprovable (burden of proof)?
    Spoiler : Quotes :
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Hey peter View Post
    There are two wolves inside you. One is addicted to crack. The other one is also addicted to crack. You are addicted to crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Mallow are you really an anti vaxxer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    God is a goofy loser.

  11. #11

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    If we live in a simulation, then isn't all of what we're doing rather pointless? And therefore, shouldn't we just exclude that possibility, especially since it's not disprovable (burden of proof)?
    Everything is pointless anyway

    The universe has no meaning

    Your life is what you make of it, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

  12. #12

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Everything is pointless anyway

    The universe has no meaning

    Your life is what you make of it, nothing more.
    You are the universe
    everything has meaning because the universe (you) created it for some reason
    your life is simply the universe (you) perceiving itself

  13. #13

  14. #14

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    If we live in a simulation, then isn't all of what we're doing rather pointless? And therefore, shouldn't we just exclude that possibility, especially since it's not disprovable (burden of proof)?
    Maybe life has meaning past your own existence. If it didn’t, we wouldn’t be passing our wealth on to our descendants. People care about their children. Clearly, for many people their children are more valuable than their own existence.

    To return to your point about the simulation perspective. If aliens created this simulation then obviously there’s some purpose for them, and everything you do or at least some of the things we do are highly relevant to someone, somewhere. If this is some complex sociological experiment then maybe the meaning is in living nobly so that the aliens understand what gives life meaning. You could make an entire society of aliens that are above us, better.
    Last edited by Oberon; August 26th, 2020 at 05:10 PM.

  15. #15

  16. #16

  17. #17

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Maybe life has meaning past your own existence. If it didn’t, we wouldn’t be passing our wealth on to our descendants. People care about their children. Clearly, for many people their children are more valuable than their own existence.

    To return to your point about the simulation perspective. If aliens created this simulation then obviously there’s some purpose for them, and everything you do or at least some of the things we do are highly relevant to someone, somewhere. If this is some complex sociological experiment then maybe the meaning is in living nobly so that the aliens understand what gives life meaning. You could make an entire society of aliens that are above us, better.
    The idea of saying that the answer to "what is the point of life" is "to serve the entities who created the simulation in some way" is not really an answer, because the question remains: what's the point of those entities' existence? Who created them? It's really not an answer, simply a way to push the problem farther from humanity.

    As for meaning past our own existence, maybe. However, the point about children and all is about principles, which could very well be wrong, and about the will to reproduce efficiently and to have your children survive for the sake of the species. Saying that the goal that goes past your own existence is to perpetuate your species' existence is eluding the question by taking a means for the potential goal to fulfill (reproduction so that people exist) and considering it as the end goal. And in the event it'd actually be the only point of life, this reverts to something very close to nihilism in the end.
    Spoiler : Quotes :
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Hey peter View Post
    There are two wolves inside you. One is addicted to crack. The other one is also addicted to crack. You are addicted to crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Mallow are you really an anti vaxxer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    God is a goofy loser.

  18. #18

  19. #19

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Maybe life has meaning past your own existence. If it didn’t, we wouldn’t be passing our wealth on to our descendants. People care about their children. Clearly, for many people their children are more valuable than their own existence.
    That's circular logic. Life has meaning, so people pass wealth to descendants. People pass wealth to descendants, so life has meaning.

    But it doesn't and neither does wealth, or horrible children. Especially not them, ugh.

  20. #20

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanas View Post
    That's circular logic. Life has meaning, so people pass wealth to descendants. People pass wealth to descendants, so life has meaning.

    But it doesn't and neither does wealth, or horrible children. Especially not them, ugh.
    True.
    Spoiler : Quotes :
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Hey peter View Post
    There are two wolves inside you. One is addicted to crack. The other one is also addicted to crack. You are addicted to crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Mallow are you really an anti vaxxer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    God is a goofy loser.

  21. #21

  22. #22

  23. #23

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    OwO

    Everybody is equally weak on the inside, just that some present their ruins as new castles and become kings –
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    If your dear heart is wounded, my wild heart bleeds with yours.

  24. #24

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanas View Post
    That's circular logic. Life has meaning, so people pass wealth to descendants. People pass wealth to descendants, so life has meaning.

    But it doesn't and neither does wealth, or horrible children. Especially not them, ugh.
    I’m not sure what you mean here. I’m saying that if life didn’t have a meaning that transcended one’s own existence there would be no reason for one to pass wealth onto their children. And yet people do. People make all these complex reservations for future generations that proves people believe there is a meaning to this world that surpasses their own mortality (or perhaps arises as a result of it).

    From my point of view the point of life is to better oneself and the people around you, and to lay the groundwork for a better future for future generations, perhaps that we may one day conquer the Galaxy, the local cluster and eventually become or join God.

  25. #25

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    The idea of saying that the answer to "what is the point of life" is "to serve the entities who created the simulation in some way" is not really an answer, because the question remains: what's the point of those entities' existence? Who created them? It's really not an answer, simply a way to push the problem farther from humanity.

    As for meaning past our own existence, maybe. However, the point about children and all is about principles, which could very well be wrong, and about the will to reproduce efficiently and to have your children survive for the sake of the species. Saying that the goal that goes past your own existence is to perpetuate your species' existence is eluding the question by taking a means for the potential goal to fulfill (reproduction so that people exist) and considering it as the end goal. And in the event it'd actually be the only point of life, this reverts to something very close to nihilism in the end.
    I didn’t actually say perpetuating your species existence was the goal of life. It’s necessary, much like food and sex (literally), but it’s not the end goal. The end goal is to better yourself and the people around you.
    Edit: Protecting your children isn’t for the betterment of the species, it’s a way of perpetuating your own existence - at least according to the utilitarians. In my view it’s about bringing new, better life into the cosmos, and helping them better themselves and become better than you. But that is strictly about your children, not everyone’s. Fundamentally, everyone should look to themselves and their family first, and everyone else only after they’ve secured themselves.
    Last edited by Oberon; August 28th, 2020 at 08:46 PM.

  26. #26

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    From a personal perspective. How can anyone say life doesn’t have meaning? There’s so much shit to do!!! And I dont mean hedonistic pleasure. There’s so many things to learn, so much to discover, and so many adventures lurking around the corner. We are blessed enough to live in a time when the colonization of other planets/moons is a near-certainty in the near future. I suspect the people going there will find life especially meaningful. Even if the mortality rate will be very high (which it probably will be). Even if you’re not lucky or daring enough to be one of the colonists, you can always help out. Many industries will spring out of nothing to finance the colonization of e.g. the Moon.

    We may also send a fleet of nano-scale spaceships towards a nearby star in the next 30-40 years. That would be such a huge leap forward. Just imagine seeing real pictures of a different solar system.
    Last edited by Oberon; August 28th, 2020 at 08:56 PM.

  27. #27

  28. #28

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    If people spent as much time qualifying the "does life have meaning question" as they did arguing over the "does life have meaning question" I suspect we'd find we all have surprisingly similar views lol. I think on some level we subconsciously gravitate towards a vaguer argument because it gives us the freedom to have a sort of meta argument where we convey our "vibes" rather than just making purely syntactical, well-defined arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

  29. #29

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Btw. A great argument I recently heard was. If life doesn’t have meaning why did some people survive the holocaust?
    This is extremely poorly phrased. Let me try again. If people could find meaning in Auschwitz, what makes you think you can’t in your day to day life?

  30. #30

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    If people spent as much time qualifying the "does life have meaning question" as they did arguing over the "does life have meaning question" I suspect we'd find we all have surprisingly similar views lol. I think on some level we subconsciously gravitate towards a vaguer argument because it gives us the freedom to have a sort of meta argument where we convey our "vibes" rather than just making purely syntactical, well-defined arguments.
    What do you mean qualify? Qualify as in explain what we mean by that question?

  31. #31

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    I guess it’s hard to actually define what I mean by life having meaning LOL. I suppose that that question is akin to asking ‘what is my purpose in life’, or, more broadly, ‘what is the purpose of humanity on this earth’. You probably have to answer that at both levels of analysis (both the individual and the collective).

    The question is actually extremely complex because it ties into theology and religion heavily. Whilst you can divorce the theological aspect from the individual perspective, you can almost certainly not do this when talking about the collective purpose of humanity. It’s also not entirely certain to me that ignoring theology when discussing YOUR perspective on the meaning of life (for you) is a good thing. It seems to be that atheism causes a crisis of meaning - which is why you have these postmodern-influenced rationalistic ideas of what the meaning of life is crop up so often. The problem as I see it is that rationality can only go so far, and I don’t think that you can use your logic to explain something that fundamentally exists solely on the emotional/mental/metaphysical plane (the meaning of life). That is probably why the alternartive to that is nihilism: nihilism is probably a direct consequence of rationality trumping emotion and spirituality.

    Now, I think the meaning of life is obviously a question about spirituality and emotion, not about rationality. Shouldn’t that question be about the thing that is most profound in your life, the most powerfully motivating factor that propels you forward and gives you the strength to go on even when it looks bleak? Isn’t that what the Auschwitz survivors tap into to escape?

  32. #32

  33. #33

  34. #34

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    What do you mean qualify? Qualify as in explain what we mean by that question?
    Sorry. I simply meant elaborating on what exactly it would mean for life to have meaning. I.e. what is one referring to when they say "life has/doesn't have meaning".

    If it simply refers to a reason to live, then we evidently all agree such a thing exists, because we're all here continually choosing to live :P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

  35. #35

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Sorry. I simply meant elaborating on what exactly it would mean for life to have meaning. I.e. what is one referring to when they say "life has/doesn't have meaning".

    If it simply refers to a reason to live, then we evidently all agree such a thing exists, because we're all here continually choosing to live :P.
    Oh yes absolutely. Its probably the case that when people ask this question - due to its vagueness - they have all sorts of ideas that float about in their heads, with the primary idea being what you just said. It’s also why people say seemingly contradictory things about the meaning of life, such as the idea that life and the universe are meaningless and that life is what you make of it. Hidden in that statement is the idea that you can find meaning in life. I think that the formal (as in, what’s visible) part of the statement is influenced by a religious perspective. So that statement really means ‘I don’t think the meaning of life arises from the actions of a creator whose will I am to serve, but I do think life has meaning’.

    I suppose I was talking more broadly when I compared atheism and the meaning of life.

  36. #36

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Alright, I have a PhD in Philosophy in relation to existentialism and teach this subject that the University of Chicago. Here is some of my quibbles throughout my academic career:

    As a philosopher, asking and attempting to answer great questions: “is there a god?”, “what’s the meaning of life?”, “what does it mean to be a good person?”, “do we have free will?”, “is there life after death?”, and “is our universe just a simulation?”, has always been about branching into the broadness. These questions send the greatest minds of every generation to search for answers and understand the very meaning of our existence. But what question ascends above those that have been pondered without answer for centuries? “Whose getting the best head?”. This brilliant question, of course refers to the now infamous image of Alvin and the chipmunks receiving oral sex from their female counterparts (presumably taking place at some point after Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, the second movie in the franchise, in which the chipmunks meet and court their female counterparts). Their female counterparts are the Chipettes, a girl band of chipmunks consisting of: Jeanette, Brittany, and Eleanor. Alvin is receiving head from Brittany, Simon from Jeanette, and Theodore from Eleanor. Now that we have established the basics of the image we can begin to consider arguments for and against each chipmunk. For the sake clarity it is assumed that any reader has already analyzed the image in question.

    The argument in favor of Theodore consists of three points. Firstly, Theodore likely has the smallest penis (evidenced by his low self esteem throughout the franchise). This would allow Eleanor to most easily preform fellatio. Secondly, Eleanor is a large girl, she knows how to eat. Her weight suggests that her mouth is a precision machine, this might give her and advantage in oral sex. Thirdly and finally, it could be argued that Theodore has ascended to a higher state based on the expression on his face and his relaxed posture. If this is true, Theodore has a strong case for best head.

    Working against Theodore is a strong point. He is clearly fast asleep. This means one of two things: either the head was so stale that he passed out, or the head is so good and he’s falling asleep from post nut bliss (but then she shouldn’t be sucking). This simple reality calls into question the quality of the head that Theodore is getting.

    Alvin is certainly reacting much more strongly than his brothers, this perhaps shows a superior experience. Most blowjobs do not lead men to doing the jumpman. Alvin may be a chipmunk, but he’s not a chump, this isn’t his first rodeo. He’s been shown to be the coolest in his crew and as such has likely gotten some spectacular head in his time. A man of experience reacting as strongly as he is indicates Brittanys potentially fantastic skills.

    The quality of Alvin’s experience hinges on the quality of his relationship. Brittany is shown to be the most popular of the Chipettes and thusly May not feel the need to put in the same amount of effort that Eleanor and Jeanette likely are, lack of enthusiasm could be harming her performance. Throughout the movies and source material, Alvin is a dramatic individual who often overreacts to situations creating comedic relief. It is not just possible, but likely, that his over the top reaction is not because he’s getting his soul sucked out, but because he wants to boost the ego of his girl. While this is a valiant effort, blowjobs aren’t theater, they’re honest to god work.

    Lastly is Simon. The nerd, the quiet observer, the self proclaimed “smart one”. His geeky status may mean that this is his first sexual experience, and his equally nerdy girlfriend may be for the first time giving head. In the movies, Jeanette is shown to be the most quiet and conservatively dressed of the Chipettes. This prudish lifestyle could be evidence that she won’t get freaky with it.

    As always in life, looks can be deceiving. Simon and Jeanette are in a committed relationship. It is cannon that they find love in one another. And the notion that because Jeanette is a nerd she doesn’t give bomb head is foolish. Simon is having an out of body experience while Jeanette slobs on his knob like it’s an acorn. This is not her first time.

    In conclusion, Simon is getting the best head. He has no reason to fake a reaction, he isn’t asleep, his girl is putting in effort, and his face says it all. His damn legs are lifting off the couch like the lord is pulling him to heaven. While many of mans great questions must go forever unanswered, “who’s getting the best head?” Can be put to rest.

  37. #37

  38. #38

    Re: Question about simulation theory and mafia/FM

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    If the universe is just a simulation we "exist" in, that implies there is a reality that is not part of the simulation.

    In that reality, do you think mafia/FM is played?
    If we are going theoretical there is many levels of multiverse theory. A short answer is that yes, If your gona dive down that rabbit hole of theoretical physics not only will mafia be played in every version of reality that is not a simulation, but very literally anything that could happen would and it would happen an infinite number of times.

    Dr Max Tegmark has a very beautiful logic structure for this idea in his book "Our mathematical universe" which also has the nice build up of educating a person in mathematics and process from how we understand the shape and size of our planet straight into the theoretical concepts of multiverse levels and a bit more I wont mention for the sake of simplicity.
    What does not kill you makes you feel stupid when you wish it would have
    It only makes you stronger if you choose to not be a victim

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •