S-FM 304: Instant Mafia - Page 12
Register

User Tag List

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
  1. ISO #551

Re: S-FM 304: Instant Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Varcron View Post
    That and he was correct with the emotions or lack there of in the text that he was reading. Strategy is only a small amount of what you have to figure out in order to correctly "read" someone. For example with you I could tell fairly obviously that you were pissed that you were not being listened to and were certain you were right with AT LEAST one of your scum spares, and by pushing that I could tell that you were town even though you had me in your scum list.

Whereas for example secondpassing I could tell was fairly apathetic of who the lynch target was so long as it was not himself, I also partially detected that in MM and lost the game by voting him but we won't talk about that. Use your gut instinct when you read a post. If it's worded goofily, ask for clarification or note down why you think it is written as it is and not a different way. That's where the strategy comes into play because if you think "Why would they word this section like this?" you can then come up with a strategy they may be using and then based on their other posts detect the emotional content in the posts and as such with the strategy and emotion/lack there of give a decent indicator if they are town or not.
    If you can get in someones mindset and think as they think, most likely this will be easier to do however you cannot be as emotionally invested into the game by doing it therefore not giving the same indicators of towniness some people here did.

2. ISO #552

That and he was correct with the emotions or lack there of in the text that he was reading. Strategy is only a small amount of what you have to figure out in order to correctly "read" someone. For example with you I could tell fairly obviously that you were pissed that you were not being listened to and were certain you were right with AT LEAST one of your scum spares, and by pushing that I could tell that you were town even though you had me in your scum list.

Whereas for example secondpassing I could tell was fairly apathetic of who the lynch target was so long as it was not himself, I also partially detected that in MM and lost the game by voting him but we won't talk about that. Use your gut instinct when you read a post. If it's worded goofily, ask for clarification or note down why you think it is written as it is and not a different way. That's where the strategy comes into play because if you think "Why would they word this section like this?" you can then come up with a strategy they may be using and then based on their other posts detect the emotional content in the posts and as such with the strategy and emotion/lack there of give a decent indicator if they are town or not.
    Some people are "apathetic", some "involved"... Why do you think I will play another way as mafia? I playing active and agressive with any role, it's just my playstyle.
    I "read" you wrong way not with some "emotions", I considered after "real" sheriff (he wasn't real) revealed, mafia can do the same after, so town will have 2 "no CC pair" with 50% chance of misslynch. It's based on mechanics and strat, not on emotions. If I were mafia, I would likely do this to team up with first "no CC pair", and if citizens will not attack each other and form up the team, target your pair as most likely mafia for them. There is no emotions in it.

P.S. Noone still explained my emotions in this text. Because it's impossible. You can only guess.

3. ISO #553

4. ISO #554

5. ISO #555

6. ISO #556

7. ISO #557

8. ISO #558

Quote Originally Posted by Zedus View Post
    Some people are "apathetic", some "involved"... Why do you think I will play another way as mafia? I playing active and agressive with any role, it's just my playstyle.
    I "read" you wrong way not with some "emotions", I considered after "real" sheriff (he wasn't real) revealed, mafia can do the same after, so town will have 2 "no CC pair" with 50% chance of misslynch. It's based on mechanics and strat, not on emotions. If I were mafia, I would likely do this to team up with first "no CC pair", and if citizens will not attack each other and form up the team, target your pair as most likely mafia for them. There is no emotions in it.

P.S. Noone still explained my emotions in this text. Because it's impossible. You can only guess.
    You could play the same potentially, except there are still ways to read if you are spewing lies or not, it just takes some getting used to and first hand experience to figure it out.

As for the text you want to tell your emotions for: I can tell that you are trying to make a definitive point with what appears to be annoyance based on how you have written it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedus
    Noone still explained my emotions in this text.
    It may be "impossible" but I can take a fairly educated guess based on the context of the writing as to what it is meant to be. So yes, you can only guess, but you can get a fairly accurate read from it.

9. ISO #559

10. ISO #560

Re : S-FM 304: Instant Mafia

I guess it's really depending on the context and how the word/sentence that you formulate.
    Expressionless sentence such as "Noone can explain my emotions in this text" are hard to crack and discern.
    The more and more a player write, the easier it is to tackle down his/her speeches based on emotions that were sprinkled by that same player.
    I assume all of this is a matter of game amount and knowing well this specific player you want to understand.

11. ISO #561

12. ISO #562

Re: Re : S-FM 304: Instant Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Auwt View Post
    I assume all of this is a matter of game amount and knowing well this specific player you want to understand.
    That's what I said before. "Reading" will probably works with well known players, you have played a lot of games before. For example, if XXX is playing like jester every game, but now staying calm and paying attention around, you can think he is some important role like mayor now.

Or he is mafia.

Or he is just tired of this playstyle, lol.

13. ISO #563
    Ganelon

you can extend this to all people, not just ones you know :P
    people are easier to read if you know them - and that’s known as meta

14. ISO #564

Re: Re : S-FM 304: Instant Mafia

That's what I said before. "Reading" will probably works with well known players, you have played a lot of games before. For example, if XXX is playing like jester every game, but now staying calm and paying attention around, you can think he is some important role like mayor now.

Or he is mafia.

Or he is just tired of this playstyle, lol.
    You are confusing behavioral reading (which is normally called "reading someone"), based on criterias that will work for a majority of people, with metareading, which is exactly what you're talking about, and which should be treated with caution, like you're advocating for. You're not wrong, but others aren't either :P
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

15. ISO #565

16. ISO #566

I think problem with Zedus' defense is that he sees "reads" very vaguely. There are too many variables to the whole "reads" business and it would be really hard to explain how it works in this sense. It is far more in-depth than that.

While reads will never give you 100% evidence, it provides enough analysis to form the great picture for you. This is how detectives work in real life. Mafia is a game where you interrogate people, hunt for leads, make analyses, find connections and links between each person. See how the behave and so on. Once you form enough basis to your theory then you bring them to the court. Saying "reads" is useless is like saying how interrogations are useless. Mafia is pretty much a detective simulator with each detective having different expertise. Some are doctors, some are just citizens, some are sheriff and some are EVIL but still a "detective".

Maybe he needs a mentor on his next game because I believe he is missing the fundamental knowledge here. I mean, I don't claim to know everything either, I am still learning too and without a mentor I would be a far worse player.

17. ISO #567

Quote Originally Posted by bakermir View Post
    I think problem with Zedus' defense is that he sees "reads" very vaguely. There are too many variables to the whole "reads" business and it would be really hard to explain how it works in this sense. It is far more in-depth than that.

While reads will never give you 100% evidence, it provides enough analysis to form the great picture for you. This is how detectives work in real life. Mafia is a game where you interrogate people, hunt for leads, make analyses, find connections and links between each person. See how the behave and so on. Once you form enough basis to your theory then you bring them to the court. Saying "reads" is useless is like saying how interrogations are useless. Mafia is pretty much a detective simulator with each detective having different expertise. Some are doctors, some are just citizens, some are sheriff and some are EVIL but still a "detective".

Maybe he needs a mentor on his next game because I believe he is missing the fundamental knowledge here. I mean, I don't claim to know everything either, I am still learning too and without a mentor I would be a far worse player.
    Will you mentor him?
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

18. ISO #568

19. ISO #569

20. ISO #570

It's almost infuriating how similarly we think.

21. ISO #571

22. ISO #572

23. ISO #573

24. ISO #574

Don't make him feel the pain too
    THE VARCRON LEGACY:

- Mislynched D1 in an all new player game
    - Mislynched in a 2v1 LYLO causing town to lose
    - Mislynched D1 for using the word interesting
    - Accidentally let scum hammer in LYLO causing town to lose
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

25. ISO #575

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    THE VARCRON LEGACY:

Mislynched in LYLO in Biomed Industries too
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

26. ISO #576

THE VARCRON LEGACY:

Mislynched in an all new player game? I don't remember that one.

27. ISO #577

28. ISO #578

29. ISO #579

30. ISO #580

31. ISO #581
    Ganelon

eh, Zedus is getting there. if you can believe that people need a similar mentality for you to be able to read them, it doesn’t take much to arrive at the conclusion that people ARE mostly more alike than they are different - thereby allowing you to read most people you encounter

32. ISO #582
    Ganelon

Human beings don't change their beliefs in the face of proof. Arguing with Zedus at this point is completely worthless.
    that’s typically the case with most people :P
    fhe purpose of a debate isn’t to change your opponents mind. it’s to convince others who may read it.
    people can only have their minds changed themselves

33. ISO #583
    Ganelon

I think zedus is fine, they just need a bit more experience and confidence. I totally understand where they’re coming from because I was saying similar things myself a year or so ago

34. ISO #584
    Ganelon

What I think zedus DOES need to work on is their aggression. It’s fine to display emotion and be angry at the town for fucking up and misplaying, just don’t take it to personal levels. it’s not fun being called a bonobovoter or a shittalker.

35. ISO #585

36. ISO #586

37. ISO #587

Mislynched in an all new player game? I don't remember that one.
    I believe that was your first one.

I was mentoring some other dude who never came back and I remember him telling me that he thought you were scum.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

38. ISO #588

39. ISO #589

40. ISO #590

Exactly, I was pranked by DW and was too scummy to be scum according to everyone lmao
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM-Shocked Kirby Face View Post
    Deathworlds is simply better than us at this game. Don't kill them for that.
    fucketh me in the ass

41. ISO #591

Maybe he needs a mentor on his next game because I believe he is missing the fundamental knowledge here.
    No,thanks. I had A LOT of fun, watching mentor's chats, there every "mentor" pretend he can "read" someone and help town players to lose.

Human beings don't change their beliefs in the face of proof. Arguing with Zedus at this point is completely worthless.
    "Reading is works, well, I always lynching townies with it, but it works, trust me!"
    Nice proof, bro.

THE VARCRON LEGACY:

Ye, one more proof how "reading" works

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    eh, Zedus is getting there. if you can believe that people need a similar mentality for you to be able to read them, it doesn’t take much to arrive at the conclusion that people ARE mostly more alike than they are different - thereby allowing you to read most people you encounter
    Man, I see the facts. If "reading" is works, then noone here can use it, so it doesn't works

What I think zedus DOES need to work on is their aggression. It’s fine to display emotion and be angry at the town for fucking up and misplaying, just don’t take it to personal levels. it’s not fun being called a bonobovoter or a shittalker.
    Personal? Everyone is shittalker, including me, what's the problem?

42. ISO #592
    Ganelon

Just be careful with your use of language. I didn’t mind that much, but be aware that others may not interpret your posts the way you want them to.

43. ISO #593

Just be careful with your use of language. I didn’t mind that much, but be aware that others may not interpret your posts the way you want them to.
    Well, then they need some "ego" downleveling. Also wrong interpretation will help them with "reading"

44. ISO #594

Mafia is a social game if you talk to people from a position of arrogance chances are you will have a harder time connecting with people. To be effective town you literally have to connect with others to win so if you want to be a good town player I suggest trying to put out positive attitude. Saying people need to kill their ego in response to this is basically shooting yourself in the foot.

45. ISO #595

46. ISO #596
    Ganelon

I mean rumox isnt wrong here but Zedus was kinda attacked in game (by myself also), so I can understand why they feel this way. As they say, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

47. ISO #597

48. ISO #598
    Ganelon

Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    I'd say the same to others too but I'm not going to read this game. Wanna do good? Treat each other good. Victory relies on coherence
    Couldn’t agree more.

49. ISO #599

Well, if someone realy cares about ingame message, you all are good. Ganelon is good. Stealthbomber16 is great too. And others. It's nice to play this game in your party. That's my real opinion. And if someone attcked by me ingame, it's just a game. Role game where we roleplaying, you know? I like to play the role of agressive titizen

50. ISO #600

Well, if someone realy cares about ingame message, you all are good. Ganelon is good. Stealthbomber16 is great too. And others. It's nice to play this game in your party. That's my real opinion. And if someone attcked by me ingame, it's just a game. Role game where we roleplaying, you know? I like to play the role of agressive titizen
    It was fun playing with you and arguing both against your points and for your townness lol. Glad you take the game that way; I think that's the best way to take it!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :