[WIP] The Eternal Conflict (13P)
Register

User Tag List

The Eternal Conflict (13P)

The Eternal Conflict

From the depths of Hell, Satan has planned an invasion of Heaven.

Intent behind the Setup
    The intent behind this setup is not to paralyze the site for months with a super long game that will be the only one hosted. It rather is to try a new game style, and to have a game running in the background while forum life continues. Players are expected to participate reasonably; the definition of "reasonably" is greatly affected by the phases' lenght. Not posting for a full real life day is perfectly acceptable if you're more busy that one day, but you're expected to be active at some other points in the game day. This game is perfect for those who would like to play FM, but who cannot dedicate enough time each real life day to a game.

Role List

God
    TPR Angel
    TPR Angel
    Human Priest
    Angel
    Angel
    Angel
    Angel
    Angel
    Angel

Satan
    Lucifer
    Demon

Rolecards

God
    You are God, creator of the universe.
    You have a one-use day kill that you may use by PMing the Host at any time during the day; the kill is instantaneous in theory, although the Host will not always be there to make it actually instantaneous, of course. It does not interrupt or end the day. The target's flip is revealed at the end of the day. If the target had placed their vote, they must unvote without posting anything else. This pierces all immunity.

Human Priest
    You are a devout, God-fearing priest who is caught in the crossfire between Heaven and Hell.
    While you are alive, you may communicate with the dead during the night in a QuickTopic chat. You may not post more than 7 times in that chat. Unlimited charges.
    While you are dead, you may communicate with a specific person in a QuickTopic/Discord chat (to be determined by the Host). No post number restrictions.

Angel
    You have the power of vote and discussion to serve the Lord, thy God. You would never be sinfully pretentious enough to request more powers than that, after all.

Possible TPR Angels

Angel Knight
    You are a loyal knight of Heaven's army.
    At night, you may attack a player with your holy might, killing them. Two charges; you lose all charges if you kill a town player. Cannot be used on night 1.

Guardian Angel
    You are an angel who has mastered the art of healing.
    You may heal people at night with your holy light. Does not consume a charge if the target is not attacked. Can self-heal. Cannot target the same player twice in a row. Two charges.
    Your target is informed of having been successfully healed. You are not informed of having successfully healed someone. You are informed of having been successfully healed if you self-heal.

Counsellor Angel
    You are an old, experienced angel tasked with helping a creation of God.
    During the day, you may select a player. You will be able to communicate with them every night. One charge.

Soul Probe Angel
    You are an angel gifted with the ability of detecting the power of the Creation in beings of divine essence.
    At night, you may check a player to know if they are vanilla (Angel/Demon) or powerful (God, Town Power Role/Satan, Lucifer). Two charges.

Satan
    You are Satan, Evil Incarnate.
    At night, you may corrupt an Angel (i.e. a town-aligned player), dissolving its divine essence after a day. The target will die at the end of the next night, and knows it as soon as the day starts. God is immune to this. This is not affected by the Guardian Angel's ability. Two charges, even night use only.
    At night, you may create a Portal to Hell at someone's door (yes, even angels and demons have houses). Anyone who visits your target will die. Your target is unaffected. Can be healed. One charge.
    You may only use one ability per night.

Lucifer
    You are the Prince of Hell, heir of Satan.
    If Satan dies while you are alive, you will become Satan.
    As long as you are alive, both Satan and the Demon are immune to night attacks.
    You are immune to night attacks.

Demon
    You are a servant of Satan.
    You have the power of voting. Cunglatutashunz.

OoO

Mechanics
    Days last 3 weeks. Nights last 72 hours. That's a big part of the game's uniqueness.
    Scum have a factional kill and a permanent chat. They know eachother at the start of the game. They lose access to their permanent chat when they die (because of the Human Priest).
    Lynch is plurality + majority.
    Skipping days is forbidden. That's right, you shouldn't ever need to skip in this game lol.
    TPRs aren't unique (in other words, there can be more than one Guardian Angel, more than one Warrior Angel, etc.); God, Satan and the Priest are however unique.

Rules
    Forum Mafia Rules (link) apply.
    The Host has the right to replace or modkill any player for any reasonable reason.
    You are expected to have reasonable participation in this game. The Host determines what is reasonable activity and what isn't. You should ideally try to chime in every real life day, although you won't be scolded if you miss a single real life day; that's part of the point of the setup.
    Out of game communication (OGC) is strictly forbidden. Any form of talk about the game that is not on host-approved communication ways (game thread, night chat, QuickTopics, etc.) is OGC. This includes communication with the dead.

Changelog
    Added "Intent behind the Setup".
    Gave scum a permanent chat.
    Replaced a Demon with Lucifer.
    Added some lore.
    Clarified some rolecards.

Last edited by Marshmallow Marshall; July 13th, 2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Hey peter View Post
    There are two wolves inside you. One is addicted to crack. The other one is also addicted to crack. You are addicted to crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Mallow are you really an anti vaxxer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    God is a goofy loser.

Re: The Eternal Conflict (13P)

Ideas, suggestions and interest showing for this long phases setup would be appreciated
    There are two wolves inside you. One is addicted to crack. The other one is also addicted to crack. You are addicted to crack.
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    God is a goofy loser.

I'd still play this, but especially if it was a long phase game, I'd hope the roles to have lots of powers, especially the evil faction and God.

Roles seem too weak in comparison to their flavor names. Then there's a random human in the middle of a heavenly hellish war— perhaps you meant a priest for humans? While you're at it, maybe change TPR Angels into Cherub(ium), Seraph(im), or Archangels. Or you could just change the god choices to one of another religion that is not monotheistic.

Days are too long in comparison to nights. Possible solutions are to: give demons a daychat, lengthen the night to a week, grant demons more night actions or more choices in night actions.

Days are too long in comparison to nights and the longer the day and should be balanced accordingly. I'm not sure if you're using a similar setup in accordance to other sites, but if we assume a similar level of activity to our other games just stretched longer, I feel that town has quite the advantage. Remove an angel?

Add a post count limit, nobody is EVER gonna read a trillion posts
    I’d try to enforce a minimum word count per post as well. This looks like the kind of game where that would be very nice
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    Polish my nuts and serve me a milkshake. Anyone who uses scum syntax will be lynched.
    lmao he is the baby in your picture

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Ideas, suggestions and interest showing for this long phases setup would be appreciated
    MafiaScum traitor!
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    President Fielzanks walks up to his stage, preparing his n1 speech. In front of him, his two cronies MM and David stood. In front of him, his immaculately written n1 speech was prepared. 'Gentleman, what is the soul of capitalism?', he asked his small audience. 'Money?', MM guessed. 'Waifus?', David asked. 'No' Fielz replied, disappointed in his trash scumteam .
    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Naz would never forget the Chik-Fil-A Sauce

Also, knowing our playerbase, even if the setup is town-sided. I think town is going to lose The combination of information flood, poor information sorting, and a lack of patience will turn this into a four player game really quickly. I don't think the setup should be balanced around this though. May as well make this a three month thing instead of a six month slow death.

Re : Re: The Eternal Conflict (13P)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallarian View Post
    Very cool idea for the setup.
    I will just leave this comment here (I am not the author):

"Day 2 : Everyone is dead IRL"
    I wonder who you referring to :')

Anyway, I feel like 3 weeks are... long,
    I'm not that familiar with forum mafia but my guess is :
    You may lose some players wilingness throughout the game.
    It's an interesting save in any case and I like it a lot !

Re: Re : Re: The Eternal Conflict (13P)

Quote Originally Posted by Auwt View Post

yea, 3 weeks. wtf??? ppl play t his?!?!? UwU?!?!?

noU!!!! uWu.

Re: Re : Re: The Eternal Conflict (13P)

Quote Originally Posted by Auwt View Post

From what I understand, sc2mafia.com is actually a part of the minority when it comes to cycle length, most sites tend to have their day/night cycles last much longer than the standard 72 hours (48 hour day, 24 hour night) that we often see here.

That being said, three weeks is intimidating as hell
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown1234 View Post
    BRO HUUUUUUMP!! That's so Mesk.
    fucketh me in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    I'd still play this, but especially if it was a long phase game, I'd hope the roles to have lots of powers, especially the evil faction and God.

Roles seem too weak in comparison to their flavor names. Then there's a random human in the middle of a heavenly hellish war— perhaps you meant a priest for humans? While you're at it, maybe change TPR Angels into Cherub(ium), Seraph(im), or Archangels. Or you could just change the god choices to one of another religion that is not monotheistic.

Days are too long in comparison to nights. Possible solutions are to: give demons a daychat, lengthen the night to a week, grant demons more night actions or more choices in night actions.

Days are too long in comparison to nights and the longer the day and should be balanced accordingly. I'm not sure if you're using a similar setup in accordance to other sites, but if we assume a similar level of activity to our other games just stretched longer, I feel that town has quite the advantage. Remove an angel?
    Wowowow, this is still a WIP, don't hit on my lore yet! The lore I put up does not represent my beliefs at all, its point being to entertain and create a story for the game, not to spark a theological debate xD. If an almighty creator exists such as the Christian God, well uh, he doesn't go at war with Satan and lose, he just makes Satan disappear if he wants to... so take this as a "popular culture" good vs evil kind of lore.
    As for the human, he's there as a bridge between heaven and hell. You know, something like a Midgard-ish role.

Hmm, I fear that people would not be involved in the game anymore if nights lasted an entire week, but I do think the chat part is an issue. I didn't want to make mafia perma-communicating at first, but I guess there's little reason not to do it. I thought about giving mafia a limited number of messages to eachother per day in a quicktopic, but giving them a permachat would be simpler.

It's not reasonable to assume a level of activity of 500 posts per real life day in such a setup. The point of this setup is to have a game that keeps going while other games come and go, without spam. I don't want to restrict people's posting capacity, though: it's up to them to play according to the setup's spirit. Plus, more time to post also means more time to read, so I don't think that will be an issue. As a reference, you can look at MafiaUniverse's longest game ever to see that it only has 62 pages (3090 posts) after... five years. Note that MU games are usually of a level of activity close to ours.

I see no need to remove an angel. On Mafiascum, the standard is 14 days per game day and two days per game night, and setups are balanced similarly to how they are here, I believe. The rolelist currently follows the general rule of thumb that is:
    Number of town slots = 3*Number of scum slots + 1

But yeah, the point of this setup is not to paralyze the site for six months with a super long game that will be the only one hosted. It rather is to keep something to do for a long time, and to try an interesting way to play the game.
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    God is a goofy loser.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Wowowow, this is still a WIP, don't hit on my lore yet! The lore I put up does not represent my beliefs at all, its point being to entertain and create a story for the game, not to spark a theological debate xD. If an almighty creator exists such as the Christian God, well uh, he doesn't go at war with Satan and lose, he just makes Satan disappear if he wants to... so take this as a "popular culture" good vs evil kind of lore.
    As for the human, he's there as a bridge between heaven and hell. You know, something like a Midgard-ish role.

Hmm, I fear that people would not be involved in the game anymore if nights lasted an entire week, but I do think the chat part is an issue. I didn't want to make mafia perma-communicating at first, but I guess there's little reason not to do it. I thought about giving mafia a limited number of messages to eachother per day in a quicktopic, but giving them a permachat would be simpler.

It's not reasonable to assume a level of activity of 500 posts per real life day in such a setup. The point of this setup is to have a game that keeps going while other games come and go, without spam. I don't want to restrict people's posting capacity, though: it's up to them to play according to the setup's spirit. Plus, more time to post also means more time to read, so I don't think that will be an issue. As a reference, you can look at MafiaUniverse's longest game ever to see that it only has 62 pages (3090 posts) after... five years. Note that MU games are usually of a level of activity close to ours.

I see no need to remove an angel. On Mafiascum, the standard is 14 days per game day and two days per game night, and setups are balanced similarly to how they are here, I believe. The rolelist currently follows the general rule of thumb that is:
    Number of town slots = 3*Number of scum slots + 1

But yeah, the point of this setup is not to paralyze the site for six months with a super long game that will be the only one hosted. It rather is to keep something to do for a long time, and to try an interesting way to play the game.
    that's the whole game

i cannot force myself to care very much about the game, but it's across the board

if nobody posts nobody cares

if everybody posts everyone cares, but there's not much to talk about
    In the game you linked people kind of forgot about the game for weeks on end. Half the people are inactive, and the posts are what I would call low quality. They space their posts out by a week sometimes but only post one sentence. You don't think people are going to post every hour or so at least? Didn't read the whole thing, but skimmed it, and scum seem to be actively lurking. Like, actively, lurking. I actually don't think it's reasonable to assume that a longer phase game played here would be comparable. You might assume that players that have longer day phases would take more time to write their posts, but it's clear in that game it's not happening. How do I know?
    -lots of naked votes
    -some posts that consist of "."
    -one-liners about a sports game
    -complaints about people not talking
    I think that either sc2mafia has neither the attention span nor the patience to wait a month to post, but maybe people will adapt.

My whole point about the night phases is that I think nights are important for scum. I think many players don't evaluate their night actions until night happens, and a longer night phase lulls town into apathy. You're right though, a night length of a week might get people to forget about the game. You could keep it at three days, you probably have a better view than I do anyway.

Excited.

Some updates were made. Scum have a permanent chat following Secondpassing's feedback.

I fear this game has too many kills, and wonder which ones to keep.
    Looking for interactions between TPRs and the remaining demon slots. Perhaps a vanilla cop or a parity cop would be nice, too.

Suggestions or thoughts are still welcome, I didn't forget about this setup's existence, just taking a bit of a break at the moment.
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    God is a goofy loser.

Interesting setup you’ve got here.
    A few questions:

Is the Guardian Angel informed of successful heal? What about their target?
    What would happen if a player died, stopped paying attention to the game, and a human priest tried to talk to them? Would you replace a ‘dead’ player if they were inactive? How would enforce activity for dead players?
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    Polish my nuts and serve me a milkshake. Anyone who uses scum syntax will be lynched.
    lmao he is the baby in your picture

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    Interesting setup you’ve got here.
    A few questions:

Is the Guardian Angel informed of successful heal? What about their target?
    What would happen if a player died, stopped paying attention to the game, and a human priest tried to talk to them? Would you replace a ‘dead’ player if they were inactive? How would enforce activity for dead players?
    Only the target is informed. Updated the setup to reflect this.
    You're very right on this point, and I still need to figure that out. Perhaps there could be a dead chat in which the dead must participate at least a bit (without any spoilers or observers of course)? I don't know if it's fair to force people to keep paying attention when they're dead. On the other hand, the game won't be too hard to follow, since the activity will be more spread out over the course of the 3 weeks days.
    MM IS AN ANTI-VAXXER
    God is a goofy loser.