Gauging Interest - Banana RPG (Abandoned)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Gauging Interest - Banana RPG (Abandoned)

I have ideas for a choose-your-own-adventure RPG game, want to gauge interest in it as well ask for feedback

WIP

Idea: RPG style game with quests. Player completes a quest - gets a victory point. If the game were to end, the player with the most victory points would be the winner

How I envision it: Players are either:

A) assigned a quest. When they complete it they are assigned another quest (easier to implement, less flexibility)

B) are given a choice of quests. Maybe the option to buy, discover, or even create side quests (more involved, more of a headache, but probably more fun)

Current idea: Players either come up with a backstory or are assigned one. They are given a choice on what type of journey they wish to take and receive an appropriate quest. When they complete the quest, they are again given a choice, receive an appropriate quest. For example of starting paths -

Do you:
    1) Wish to be known as a Hero of the people
    OR
    2) Want to be remembered as a notorious villain?

Then a quest is given to start either journey

Mechanics:

- No day/night phases and no forced eliminations. Pro to this: no pressure to keep up with the game. More relaxed. Cons to this: game can stall
    - Eliminations may still occur. This allows alliances to form, factions. Cooperation, social dynamics. Exciting quests. Possibly showdowns or duels. Possible after life interactions
    - Players can do pretty much anything, with some limitations. Make actions public, for example
    -work
    Consequences are public and/or private.
    - Players have an inventory and can't take actions with items they don't have. If they want to control a fleet they must first have a fleet in their inventory.
    Last edited by BananaCucho; July 17th, 2020 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Bye bye
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho

2. ISO #2

Re: Gauging Interest - Banana RPG

/presign ^^

Private communication between players, yes or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4
    Ganelon

I’m guessing this is gonna be a forum game?
    How will you handle interactions between players, combat, etc? Are you planning to add NPCs?
    Are you planning to add items? Perhaps rooms?

5. ISO #5
    Ganelon

Is it gonna be turn-based? Real time?
    i find this unbelievably interesting and would sign the fuck out of this game.

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Ganelon View Post
    I’m guessing this is gonna be a forum game?
    How will you handle interactions between players, combat, etc? Are you planning to add NPCs?
    Are you planning to add items? Perhaps rooms?
    These are all good questions that I dont have answers to yet

7. ISO #7
    Ganelon

You can also add an inventory system, etc
    You can write the mechanics in a programming language of some sort

8. ISO #8

Is it gonna be turn-based? Real time?
    i find this unbelievably interesting and would sign the fuck out of this game.
    Real time pretty much, dont want to wait on people to take turns. If someone goes inactive for a while, game should be able to progress without them

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

I dont know that I could or would want to do something traditionally RPG with stats and combat mechanics, but rather something scenario and story driven thats basically choose your own adcenture. I'll present consequences and scenarios to things but I dont want to overcomplicate it lol

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    I dont know that I could or would want to do something traditionally RPG with stats and combat mechanics, but rather something scenario and story driven thats basically choose your own adcenture. I'll present consequences and scenarios to things but I dont want to overcomplicate it lol
    Basically what was happening with "The Circle 2" but with actual objectives given to the players and no death clock to play against

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13
    Ganelon

That sounds like a good idea yep

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

Instead of having a 24 hours death clock, what about a week long death clock (with other mechanics perhaps, and perhaps a way to stop it)? That would allow players to have time to think about what to do while keeping the benefits from having a timer gameplay-wise.
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

17. ISO #17
    Ganelon

Personally I’d rather there wasn’t a timer at all. Just give everyone some objectives and a backstory + possibly an inventory system.
    if you want to know what I’d do: set some clear restrictions on what players can and can’t do. For instance, you can’t just become reality bender or some shit like that. Likewise, you can’t drink from s bottle of water that you do not possess. Lastly, a setting of some sort would help a great deal. You could make this an Fm with RPG elements or an RPG with FM elements.

18. ISO #18

Personally I’d rather there wasn’t a timer at all. Just give everyone some objectives and a backstory + possibly an inventory system.
    if you want to know what I’d do: set some clear restrictions on what players can and can’t do. For instance, you can’t just become reality bender or some shit like that. Likewise, you can’t drink from s bottle of water that you do not possess. Lastly, a setting of some sort would help a great deal. You could make this an Fm with RPG elements or an RPG with FM elements.
    I like this a lot

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    Id play either, just hoping it's not an orc or a dwarf, but prefer to create my own backstory.
    I like the idea of everyone making a backstory for themselves, if we can agree on a setting. But I may make small modifications and if anyone doesnt want to make one I can assign one

Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    Uh super interested. And if you wanted a map or whatever, you could always just rip one off RLVG
    lol I definitely don't want to create a map

22. ISO #22
    Ganelon

That’s an interesting concept. I also wouldn’t mind making my own backstory now that I think about it. Almost like the way stealth hosted ?krc

23. ISO #23

Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    I like the idea of everyone making a backstory for themselves, if we can agree on a setting. But I may make small modifications and if anyone doesnt want to make one I can assign one

lol I definitely don't want to create a map
    I'd like to provide some main instructions regarding my backstory and let you fill in the rest. I just want to be able to identify myself with the character if possible.

Is that ok?

Thank you Anonymous Donor

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

Good ideas, I support all of them. As for timer, I won't die on that hill.

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

29. ISO #29

I will accept pre-signs and backstorys at this time. I figure if people send me their backstories, maybe I can come up with a story that kind of ties them together in some way. Or maybe not.

I'll still need time to figure things out on how I wanna do this, so pre-signs and backstories doesn't mean this is necessarily starting soon. But it may help give me ideas!

30. ISO #30

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

33. ISO #33

34. ISO #34
    Ganelon

Is this gonna be a fantasy, sci-fi, modern day RPG? I have a perfect idea coming from a novel series I really like that covers all three of them btw

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

Do this so I know it people are hype over the idea when I eventually finish mine :P
    Quote Originally Posted by MattZed View Post
    deathworld's and RLVG's suicides made me lul. I take a lot of pleasure in knowing that I gave you an night action, and that you used it to kill yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    At least Mesk has lewdy lefty and raunchy righty. You're not even Canadian.
    Quote Originally Posted by FM-Shocked Kirby Face View Post
    Deathworlds is simply better than us at this game. Don't kill them for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    fucketh me in the ass

37. ISO #37

38. ISO #38

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

41. ISO #41

42. ISO #42

43. ISO #43

44. ISO #44

45. ISO #45

46. ISO #46