Diet and health
Register

User Tag List

Thread: Diet and health

1. ISO #1
    Ganelon

Diet and health

Does diet really influence health? If so, to what extent?
    Terms like ‘carbohydrates’, ‘proteins’, ‘vitamins’ get thrown around all the time.

but what do they actually mean? Is there actually any benefit from e.g switching to a certain diet?

Im guessing you could say that eating fruits/vegetables as well as meat is a must - but other than that, can we really say anything about diet? Note that I know virtually nothing about this, but my hunch is that it doesn’t.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Re: Diet and health

Is diet important? Very, very probably. Should you believe all things you hear from "scientific" sources? I don't think so. A lot of diets contradict eachother, some are frauds... The food industry has too much power in the scientific fields for them to be completely trustable for your health, and that doesn't count the honest scientific errors. The issue here is not "faith in science", but "faith in human sciencists". If you need to be convinced, just look at your country's recommendations for healthy eating habits, and then look at other countries'. You'll notice a lot of differences between them. Of course, there is probably not only one way to eat healthily, but remember that cigarettes were seen as completely harmless not so long ago, and both governments and sciencists had no qualms about it (until they did, but that happened really late in the developement of the cigarette industry).

There are some relatively obvious things that are easily provable, like "eating too much salt can cause trouble to your kidneys", or "eating too much sugar can cause a lot of bad things", so I think that's what people should look at.
    Disclaimer: it's totally possible I'm full of shit, because I'm not highly informed on the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by secondpassing View Post
    The Glycemic Index (the speed of digestion, absorption, and uptake of sugars) and knowing a food's Glycemic Load (how much a food impacts blood sugar) and then controlling it is of strong benefit to the one that wants to maximize productivity.
    LOL r u trolling??

What an odd answer. Whynot just say: "diet good."

UwU

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Is diet important? Very, very probably. Should you believe all things you hear from "scientific" sources? I don't think so. A lot of diets contradict eachother, some are frauds... The food industry has too much power in the scientific fields for them to be completely trustable for your health, and that doesn't count the honest scientific errors. The issue here is not "faith in science", but "faith in human sciencists". If you need to be convinced, just look at your country's recommendations for healthy eating habits, and then look at other countries'. You'll notice a lot of differences between them. Of course, there is probably not only one way to eat healthily, but remember that cigarettes were seen as completely harmless not so long ago, and both governments and sciencists had no qualms about it (until they did, but that happened really late in the developement of the cigarette industry).

There are some relatively obvious things that are easily provable, like "eating too much salt can cause trouble to your kidneys", or "eating too much sugar can cause a lot of bad things", so I think that's what people should look at.
    Disclaimer: it's totally possible I'm full of shit, because I'm not highly informed on the topic.
    Nah, at the most u got a few things wrong. Ur definitely not full'a shit.UwU

In fact, I think everything you said was accurate.

8. ISO #8

In response to the prompt:

The excess of resources provided to us on a topic can pressure us to do something perfectly when we can just stick to the basics. For example, diet. Do I need the perfect diet?? Well, there are 5 billion diets I can try on the Internet, so why not try one?? That's such flawed thinking though. People want to maximize everything nowadays, from exercise to diet to school. However, I think this is harmful to our mental and physical health.

BASICALLY, I'd only worry about diet if you're eating too much junk food. Eat somewhat healthy (like, eat some fruits and veggies while somewhat balancing ur carbs and prOwOteins) and you're good.

UwU!!!

I'm only being serious cuz this isn't CircleJerk.UwU

<(o.O)><(O.o)><(o.O)><(O.o)><(o.O)><(O.o)><(o.O)>< (O.o)>
    <(o.O)><(O.o)><(o.O)><(O.o)><(o.O)><(O.o)><(o.O)>< (O.o)><(o.O)><(O.o)><(o.O)><(O.o)>
    Last edited by theoneceko; May 21st, 2020 at 11:27 PM. Reason: OwOPTIOBNAL!!! UwuoptTIONAL.

9. ISO #9

???????????????
    troll thread move to circle jerk @modmins
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    President Fielzanks walks up to his stage, preparing his n1 speech. In front of him, his two cronies MM and David stood. In front of him, his immaculately written n1 speech was prepared. 'Gentleman, what is the soul of capitalism?', he asked his small audience. 'Money?', MM guessed. 'Waifus?', David asked. 'No' Fielz replied, disappointed in his trash scumteam .
    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Naz would never forget the Chik-Fil-A Sauce

10. ISO #10

No u

And you're probably right, ceko.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

11. ISO #11

It seems to be understood that what we eat has a big impact on our short-term and long-term health, even beyond "veggie=good candy=bad".

However, in my experience, it's really hard to collect reliable data on diets because many of the effects of diets only manifest over decades and the effects of diets can vary depending on genes, sex and age. The average study would much prefer to give some college kids brocolli for 2 weeks and call it a day lmao. Every food supplier also has a vested interest not to see their foods get dunked on by the science, and will fund biased research and misleading ads.

In short, it seems to suffer the same fate all fields do that handle complicated issues with underlying political pressures lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinkstorteddd02 View Post
    naz, he's claiming to have been at your house last night and infected you. I know u were drunk but PLEASE try as hard as you can to remember... That burning you felt the next morning when you went pee was from me, not him.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.