S-FM The News (11P)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

S-FM The News (11P)

Inspired from this challenge

The News!

Rival media channels attempting to gain the contract for the major slot on Gangville News!

Publishing Cop
    Publishing Cop
    Doctor
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen

Mafia Publisher
    Mafia Publisher
    1-Use Consort

Spoiler : Rolecards :

Publishing Cop
    Once per game you may investigate a player to reveal whether or not they are in the mafia.
    Because you’re publicly funded, your results are revealed at the start of the day.
    Doctor
    Twice per game you may heal a player, preventing them from dying for the night.
    A charge will be used if you do not successfully heal your target.
    You cannot self target.
    Citizen
    You have no night action.
    Mafia Publisher
    Once per game you may reveal a fake investigation result a la Publishing Cop at the start of the day. You share a permanent chat with your other mafia members.
    1-Use Consort
    Once per game you may roleblock a player.
    If they use an action at night with a limited number of charges, the charge is still used.
    You share a permanent chat with your other mafia members.

Spoiler : OoO :

1. Consort
    2. Investigation
    3. Night Kill/Heal

1. Town has to rely on publisher outcomes to make progress during later days
    2. Mafia can create confusion with well placed fake publishes
    3. 3v8 gives town 2 mislynches assuming mafia can land a NK each night
    4. KPN v HPN is balanced- game can swing around but stalling is generally not in town favor.

Rules
    All standard S-FM Rules apply
    This setup runs best with anonymous accounts, although not having them is also fine.
    Pictures are allowed within reasonable size. Hopefully I don't need to specify what "reasonable size" is.
    Videos are allowed as long as autoplay is off.

Mechanics
    48 hour days.
    24 hour nights or early ending nights at host discretion.
    Last wills not allowed.
    Suicide is allowed at host discretion.
    Mafia shares a night chat and a factional kill. The consort may use the kill and roleblock in the same night. Mafia publishers may not.
    Lynch system is host's choice. I recommend plurality + majority.
    Last edited by Stealthbomber16; November 7th, 2022 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added lynch mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Unfunny View Post
    How dare you send me another box of cereal
    Quote Originally Posted by ChannelMiner View Post
    Anyways I shot Brad due to my morbid fear of zombies.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: S-FM The News

lol
    All those "problems" that I thought of, you nullified them (maybe, not sure) by reducing the towns productivity, and their ability to make informed decisions, with information overload. Burrying them in fake news to the point where they can't tell left from right. And also making D2 the lylo day if D1 was mislynch.

I'm not sure if you're a genius or just a maniac. But it will be interesting to see if you can make this work and approved.

Mafia is quite fucked if Town lynches one of them D1 I think.
    Last edited by OzyWho; December 5th, 2019 at 08:49 PM.

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    lol
    All those "problems" that I thought of, you nullified them (maybe, not sure) by reducing the towns productivity, and their ability to make informed decisions, with information overload. Burrying them in fake news to the point where they can't tell left from right. And also making D2 the lylo day if D1 was mislynch.

I'm not sure if you're a genius or just a maniac. But it will be interesting to see if you can make this work and approved.

Mafia is quite fucked if Town lynches one of them D1 I think.
    This game works purely through its simplicity. I almost didn’t even include a doctor.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

3v7 gives town 2 mislynches assuming mafia can land a NK each night
    No, after 2 mislynches and 2 night kills it's 3v3 and mafia win. Day 2 is lylo unless doctor pulls a miracle.

That wasn't why I came here though.

Suggestion: in the spirit of Fake News - add each player the ability to "slip a note" to any other player at night. Additionally to their role ability, of course.
    @Stealthbomber16

8. ISO #8

No, after 2 mislynches and 2 night kills it's 3v3 and mafia win. Day 2 is lylo unless doctor pulls a miracle.

That wasn't why I came here though.

Suggestion: in the spirit of Fake News - add each player the ability to "slip a note" to any other player at night. Additionally to their role ability, of course.
    @Stealthbomber16
    You right

These roles work best under their simplicity and the bonus note feature, while cool, probably works against the spirit of the setup.

9. ISO #9

I agree with Stealth here, and think that the setup's philosophy is good and important to preserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lawyer View Post
    Besides your lamp and your refridgerators, do you find anyone else suspicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverz144 View Post
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.
    Spoiler : The meaning of life :

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

ngl
    I liked my role cards more.

It's so hard to imagine how this would play out tbh. If I was town and saw announcements I would just say "reveal who made the investigations/publications, or I will presume it's from a Mafia." - reason being that only mafia would be scared to get mislynched the next day for providing a fake.
    With this play, mafia could never publish a fake until before MYLO. And until then, if they publish, it's forced to be truthful.
    Idk, maybe town wouldn't play like that how I envision.
    Or maybe game could boil down to 3-4 "confirmed" cops?
    Really hard to envision how this would play out lol.

12. ISO #12

Nice setup from a nice challenge. I'd love to play this once it's finished.

Questions about the Publishers:

- Is the start of day message entirely host-generated? In other words, can the cops add a message in it, type it entirely by themselves, or does the host impose it to everyone? Just to get a better picture of the role.

- What happens if more than one Publisher (town or scum) make results appear on the same person on the same night? I'm secretly hoping that someone could be called out as both town and scum at the same time.

- Major balance issue : What prevents a "follow the cop" strategy if a real cop with a red check claims, lynches the scum, and then gets healed every night?

Other:

- Major issue : Mechanics (phase lenght, lynch system, etc.) are required.

- Major issue : OoO is required.
    In other words, boring stuff is required.
    @Stealthbomber16
    it looks like many, e.g. MM and lag, suffered under the influence of paopan. However there is a victim: frinckles. He left the path of rationality and fully dived into the parallel reality of baby shark, king shark, and soviet union pizzas.

13. ISO #13

ngl
    I liked my role cards more.

It's so hard to imagine how this would play out tbh. If I was town and saw announcements I would just say "reveal who made the investigations/publications, or I will presume it's from a Mafia." - reason being that only mafia would be scared to get mislynched the next day for providing a fake.
    With this play, mafia could never publish a fake until before MYLO. And until then, if they publish, it's forced to be truthful.
    Idk, maybe town wouldn't play like that how I envision.
    Or maybe game could boil down to 3-4 "confirmed" cops?
    Really hard to envision how this would play out lol.
    Indeed, it's hard to see what will happen; the setup will be marked as Experimental. You bring up a fair point about game strategy here.

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Nice setup from a nice challenge. I'd love to play this once it's finished.

Questions about the Publishers:

- Is the start of day message entirely host-generated? In other words, can the cops add a message in it, type it entirely by themselves, or does the host impose it to everyone? Just to get a better picture of the role.

- What happens if more than one Publisher (town or scum) make results appear on the same person on the same night? I'm secretly hoping that someone could be called out as both town and scum at the same time.

- Major balance issue : What prevents a "follow the cop" strategy if a real cop with a red check claims, lynches the scum, and then gets healed every night?

Other:

- Major issue : Mechanics (phase lenght, lynch system, etc.) are required.

- Major issue : OoO is required.
    In other words, boring stuff is required.
    @Stealthbomber16
    Host generated. Something like “a cop has published that X is a member of the Y”

That is exactly what could happen.

Up to mafia to stop that from happening. Game can still turn around through good play but mafia’s goal is to stop that from happening.

booooring. Will do
    Last edited by Stealthbomber16; January 23rd, 2020 at 09:34 AM.

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

Re: S-FM The News (11P)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    @Marshmallow Marshall does this really require an OoO? Where could ordering get confusing in this setup?
    Boring stuff is REQUIRED

Cops publishing their results on the night they die to the Mafia or not. That's pretty much the only thing, but it still matters.

As for the Follow the Cop issue, how is the Mafia supposed to prevent that from happening if one cop just finds mafia and gets them lynched? It is very harsh to impose a huge disadvantage to the Mafia just for having one of their members lynched. I suggest replacing the Goon with a one-shot Consort (ability usable in addition to carrying out the factional kill), just to give the Mafia some wiggle room if a cop gets a confirmed status. Thoughts?

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

@Stealthbomber16 do you plan on finishing this soon?

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

Boring stuff is REQUIRED

Cops publishing their results on the night they die to the Mafia or not. That's pretty much the only thing, but it still matters.

As for the Follow the Cop issue, how is the Mafia supposed to prevent that from happening if one cop just finds mafia and gets them lynched? It is very harsh to impose a huge disadvantage to the Mafia just for having one of their members lynched. I suggest replacing the Goon with a one-shot Consort (ability usable in addition to carrying out the factional kill), just to give the Mafia some wiggle room if a cop gets a confirmed status. Thoughts?
    I think I like that change.

I also disabled last wills to prevent auto-confirming mafia targets.

21. ISO #21

Lynch system is still required. I suggest plurality + majority, but it's up to you ultimately.

I think the setup will be approvable after this; the Consort with charge-consuming ability fixes the Follow the Cop issue.

22. ISO #22

Lynch system is still required. I suggest plurality + majority, but it's up to you ultimately.

I think the setup will be approvable after this; the Consort with charge-consuming ability fixes the Follow the Cop issue.
    @Stealthbomber16
    I just want to say that I'm ever so slightly disappointed that this didn't get finished after getting so close.
    I haven't dwelled deeply into your approach, or forgot if I have. But I remember the challenge well, and I remember concluding that it'd be very difficult to balance. (Unless closed setup I guess(

Thank you for trying. Valiant effort.

23. ISO #23

@Stealthbomber16
    I just want to say that I'm ever so slightly disappointed that this didn't get finished after getting so close.
    I haven't dwelled deeply into your approach, or forgot if I have. But I remember the challenge well, and I remember concluding that it'd be very difficult to balance. (Unless closed setup I guess(

Thank you for trying. Valiant effort.
    *no hidden agenda in this post*

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

Can doctor self-heal? I have to ask ^^ I can very well pre-approve the setup though, considering the answer does not significantly affect setup balance.

I am surprised I did not bring up the numbers (8v3) being technically scum-favored per "standard ratio rule" of town = 3scum + 1, but I guess the situation does become very dire for Mafia if one of their members die early on, so this could be very interesting to witness and analyze (and partake in, of course), even just from a mafia theory point of view.

Approved. Please do specify the self-healing part in the setup, though. Do you wish to be added to the Queue?

26. ISO #26

Can doctor self-heal? I have to ask ^^ I can very well pre-approve the setup though, considering the answer does not significantly affect setup balance.

I am surprised I did not bring up the numbers (8v3) being technically scum-favored per "standard ratio rule" of town = 3scum + 1, but I guess the situation does become very dire for Mafia if one of their members die early on, so this could be very interesting to witness and analyze (and partake in, of course), even just from a mafia theory point of view.

Approved. Please do specify the self-healing part in the setup, though. Do you wish to be added to the Queue?
    Not currently.

27. ISO #27

28. ISO #28

Last edited by Marshmallow Marshall; November 8th, 2022 at 05:57 PM. Reason: this is a nodding fire guy, if you didn't understand. why are you even reading this?