How to be Deceptive?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

How to be Deceptive?

As we all know the game is about deception. However most of the time, if people are not the best at staying hidden they are often exploited as being the mafia. So my question is how to deceptive in games, but also not silent that the town will lynch you, for being afk? And to lead the town in the direction the path you as sk want the game to lead to: your victorious life being one of two people left (or just your self in some cases). I know sk is tricky and I seem to have the most trouble playing them.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3
    ReauxTzunami

Re: How to be Deceptive?

Deception in Mafia is hard to come by, but it can also depend on who you play with. If you're playing with a lot of pub trolls and such that like to lynch or kill for the smallest reasons, you'd be better off taking a leader role and not revealing your role until at least you can manage a alibi for any situation. If you manage to get a pretty stable game, it's a combination of using general Mafia knowledge and aiding town to victory, even if you are a killing role. I usually play by trying to find the killers no matter my role, then deceiving everyone until I'm at a safe point in the game to reveal who I am. Sometimes even taking a risky suicide/mafia kills mafia approach to get the win.

4. ISO #4

To be deceptive, you need to be a good liar and you need to be someone smart.

First of all, deception varies between different roles and alignments. For example, Neutral roles like the Survivor and the Amnesiac shouldn't need deception, while more powerful roles like the Vigilante and the Serial Killer should rely on it exclusively.

Below, is my guide for the Vigilante.

First of all, a Vigilante should never claim to be a Vigilante. There are many reasons for this, with most of them dealing with common sense and stupidity. For one, Vigilantes are usually one of the worst classes to claim during a trial. Most players will assume that Vigilantes are Mafioso players, which in turn leads to their death. A better way to survive a trial, would be to lead the readers astray, usually with mature and intelligent text.

"How can you prove that I'm in the Mafia? Where's your proof?" -- "y are u guys lynching me? I AM VIGI FFS!"
    "You should investigate me before you vote me guilty" -- "U GUYS ARE GAY! I AM VIGI! INVEST ON ME!"

The capitalization itself will catch the attention of the sheep, and in most cases, you'll still end up dead.

All in all, Vigilantes are screwed no matter what. Sorry, but it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by MintBerry Crunch View Post
    I think the deadliest is Spy, he is next to you at night and you don't even know it, give him some piano wire and he is an assassin.

5. ISO #5
    ReauxTzunami

A few classes do get the short end of the stick with the general public. They rather take action and rage later over solid evidence and trust. Of course, you can't really trust anybody in Mafia, but if you want to win you have to pull some strings. I managed an Arsonist win by luck of the draw and a even luckier key night.

I doused my targets one by one, unluckily having them become targets to mafia/town in the end. Using nothing but subtle leads and a risky attitude of authority, I managed to keep myself from getting caught the first few nights. As the game went on I figured I was as good as dead without a alibi to protect me, but on the 5th night I luckily doused the correct target. The player happened to be an Arsonist who lit that same night. Four bodies drop and I was in the clear since everyone figured the arson doused himself. I lead the town to victory and in the end the Sheriff who trusted me found out my true identity.

All in all, never sell your role short. Some roles have certain ways that needs to be played, mostly in the Neutral pool, but others that aren't as helpful could give you the perfect cause to screw a side over.

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7
    ReauxTzunami

Quote Originally Posted by jaczac View Post
    AMNESIACSAREFUN
    You win 5 internets good sir.

8. ISO #8