Suggestion for the site: Deadline Voting
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Suggestion for the site: Deadline Voting

I'm suggesting to borrow this idea I found on another site.

Purpose: Stop the people who care much about a game to lose sleep over needing to be there at end of day.
    Execution: I imagine for a host to set it up, they would have to set a day end time for the thread.
    Use: Players then can vote preemptively if a wagon is larger than the one they are on-- at the end of the day.

secondpassing (3 [L-1]):
    ThePaladin, AIVION, RLVG
    AIVION (2 [L-2]):
    BananaCucho, Unknown1234

Unknown1234 posts: "[DEADL]secondpassing[/DEADL]"
    and at day's end..

secondpassing has been lynched! Please wait for the host's day end review.

secondpassing (4 [L-0]):
    ThePaladin, AIVION, RLVG, Unknown1234
    AIVION (1 [L-3]):
    BananaCucho

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Suggestion for the site: Deadline Voting

Not sure I like this proposal, unless, like SuperJack says, it's built into a setup by the host himself or herself, in which case, the host can manage the contingency-type votes by each player. If the host decides that it's an interesting / useful mechanic for their specific game, then that's a different story entirely and a part of the host's balancing of the game. Otherwise, I feel like this turns Forum Mafia into bidding on eBay items with almost an auto-bid-type mechanic that is automatically executed upon the occurrence of certain events. In your example, that automatic voting instruction would be if SP's wagon is the largest at EOD, then vote SP. What happens if SP was actually Mayor and confirms himself or finds some other way of convincing players that he is not scum between the time that Unknown places his deadline vote, but Unknown isn't around to change it?

I know it's tough to be around the thread during EOD for some players (depending on time zones, schedules, etc.), but I don't think automatic / contingency-type voting is the answer. If anything, it will just encourages players to be around less at EOD than they are now since they've already programmed in their vote based on their last hunch. We also have a growing problem with, let's just call them "players who don't cast their votes thoughtfully" -- at least having to be around means some level of accountability. I'd rather not lose a game because some player cast a deadline vote, took off, something came up in the interim, but the deadline vote took effect and a player was hammered who should not have been. If you feel that strongly about a vote, you should be around to cast it, as opposed to having a reserve on multiple trains.

Lastly, since this is a really an Forum Mafia suggestion vs. a site topic, I've moved the thread into FM Parking.
    Last edited by DarknessB; August 7th, 2016 at 04:43 PM.