Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. ISO #1

Hey guys!

It's that time of year again! Season 3 is starting up very soon. In the next couple of weeks we need to submit our representative.

For the first stage, we're going to collect all nominations to be voted on this week. Please submit your nominations. Every nomination is acceptable.

For the second stage, we will be putting the nominations to a vote for week. The method of that voting is currently open, but would probably be most applicable is voters would be limited to ladder players, M-FM players, FM players, and hosts within the last 2 years, and FM MVPs.

Hello fellow Mafia enthusiasts!

My name is [Frog representing] Thingyman and I am creator of Mafia Universe, a site dedicated to bringing together Mafia communities. I am making this post with the hopes that your community would be interested in participating in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia communities against one other as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. The representatives are officially and democratically chosen to be “Champions” by their respective communities.

Season 1 (2013-2014) featured 100+ players from 45+ different communities, and the Season 2 (2015) boasted an even more impressive count of 70 different communities represented. The creator of Mafia himself (Dmitry Davidoff) has even supported and endorsed the series by previously offering to privately chat with the ultimate winner.

This year we’re expanding once again; 136 communities will be invited to participate, making this not only the biggest Mafia event ever, but also the largest cross-forum event in the history of the Internet.

Are you interested?

I am hoping very much that this all sounds exciting! If interested, I would need you all to name one representative to play on your community's behalf. How you decide this representative is completely up to you. To guarantee your community a spot in Season 3 of the Mafia Championship, I will need to know of your community's interest within the next week (until April 4th). Following this, you will have an additional two weeks to decide your nominee (until April 18th). Additionally, it would be a very good idea to also name an alternate.

When deciding your nomination, please consider the following: You should of course be aiming to send one of your best players. But more importantly this individual needs to be able to participate adequately in terms of activity. Be prepared for at least upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. The representative needs to not only be able to read all this, but should also at least be able to manage 10+ posts per day phase. I repeat: These games will be active.

Season 3 Specifics

• 136 different communities are invited to participate. If some decline the invitation, I may opt to allow larger communities an additional nominee.
    • 8 Qualifying Games will be played with 17 players each.
    • 2 players advance to the Finale Game from each game based on post-game votes.
    • 1 Wildcard Game will be played (Wildcards are decided by a jury consisting of former finalists), determining the 17th and final spot in the Finale. Runner-ups in this game will be first in line to replace any finalists who may have to drop out.

Season 3 Timeline & Important Dates

The first Qualifying Game is set to start April 25th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

In addition to this, it is also a priority to ensure as much as possible that all the players in any given game has no prior history of playing with each other to ensure a level playing field (but I cannot 100% guarantee that this won’t happen).

Season 3 Game Design & Setup

For each season, we’ve changed it up. This time, we’re doing something new again!

The setup is called Matrix12 and is inspired by mafiascum’s popular Matrix6 setup, if any of you are familiar with that. In short, the concept is that there are 12 different possible setups and the host randomizes which one is used. The players know what setups are available, but not which one will be used!

Regarding lynch mechanics: There will be a deadline each day phase, and the person with the most votes at the end of the day is lynched, unless a majority has already been reached before then, in which case the day ends prematurely.

Days will last 36 hours and nights 12 hours, meaning 48 hours (2 days) per game day. With one exception: The weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) will be one game day (so day will be 60 hours and night 12 hours on weekends).

Playing on a new site can sometimes be difficult to adjust to, which is why we created Mafia Universe towards the end of the last season. The forum utilizes countless unique features to enhance the player's experience, such as: fully automated games, automated/requestable vote counters, private threads, bookmarking functions, and more.

Relevant Links

Season 2 finale:
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/threads...ionship-Finale
    Season 1 finalists vs. season 2 finalists:
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/threads...xhibition-Game
    Information thread:
    https://www.mafiauniverse.com/threads...rmation-Thread
    Last edited by Frog; March 29th, 2016 at 07:21 AM.

2. ISO #2

Re: Invitation to The Mafia Championship Season 3

#Nominate Orpz if he can dedicate massive amounts of time to the game

And cry on the inside because we were set up to have 2 nominations and fucked it up
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

I'll nominate:
    -Frog
    -Helz
    -Yayap
    -Sen

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    I say Orpz, if he has the time. When he plays, he's usually dedicated and has a decent playstyle as all factions.
    Yayap would be a good, too, if he is willing to.
    Orpz is a great player, I agree. The last game I played with Orpz was in the cross-community game. Give it a look. He was Fox.

I asked Yayap if he'd be willing or able- he's going to check out the setup before he commits.

Helz playstyle would be optimal for this type of setup as long as he doesn't get NKed night 1, I'd say he has a very good shot making it to the next rounds.

Sen is a great player from what little I've seen playing with him. If he can commit to the time, he'd also be a good pick.

I received a nomination from the Season 2 Champ to be the MU representative, but since I'm so low on the totem pole I can't see me being in the top 2 picks. This is pretty much my only shot. I've played with the majority of the previous champs and a good amount of players who were and are likely going to be picks for this season, so I'd have that meta edge.
    Last edited by Frog; March 29th, 2016 at 07:47 AM.

9. ISO #9

Any nominations or ideas on how the voting works are open. :-)

Most of us have played there and understand the demands of the competition.

I think Firebringer, Calix, and Titus can attest that it will be very intense.

I know the OP says ±500 posts a day, but these games easily go over ±2,000 posts a day - ±3,000 posts should be expected D1.

If you'd like an example of what I mean, head on over to take a look at some of the games for reference.

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Am I the only one who laughs at the thought that people turn the party game "Mafia" into some competitive sport? Like this Championship?

Maybe I am the only one. Anyways I say we send Helz or Frog. I don't know if Orpz has time but I would nominate him among them. Maybe Damus too.
    Don't pet growlithe, he will bite you.

14. ISO #14

We should send Necroplant.

Being serious, I think the first thing to consider would be to see which players WANT to participate, and then pick from that list. A 2,000+ posts per day game requires a lot of free time available, and that just for reading. Add analysis time and the demands start getting quite brutal.

Personally, as interesting as a 100+ sites game sounds, I don't really have the time right now to commit to such a large game.

The current nominations sound alright. Gerik also comes to mind, but I haven't seen him around for a while, so he wouldn't really fit as a representative right now.

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by Sen View Post

Being serious, I think the first thing to consider would be to see which players WANT to participate, and then pick from that list. A 2,000+ posts per day game requires a lot of free time available, and that just for reading. Add analysis time and the demands start getting quite brutal.

Personally, as interesting as a 100+ sites game sounds, I don't really have the time right now to commit to such a large game.

The current nominations sound alright. Gerik also comes to mind, but I haven't seen him around for a while, so he wouldn't really fit as a representative right now.
    I also nominate Gerik

16. ISO #16

17. ISO #17

Quote Originally Posted by Sen View Post

He ONLY comes around to play FMs. That or flame with people he has always flamed with

18. ISO #18

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25

Mafia doesn't really seem to be a game that lends itself to being able to determine a 'best' player, or even to have a tournament in any sense. Even in 2 player complete information games with no RNG at all like Chess, a best of 1 doesn't say who is the better player. How much moreso does a clusterfuck like forum mafia lack the necessary properties to determine this.

26. ISO #26

Quote Originally Posted by ika View Post
    gerick posted that he would send yap i would rather see him personally. last time he missed out cus he was away iirc and we were going to
    We just picked TDL.

And who the fuck is Gerick?

27. ISO #27

Should there be a poll? My vote is for Yayap if he has time. Gerik is good too.
    Last edited by Brendan; March 29th, 2016 at 04:29 PM.
    I love oops

Spoiler : :

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░▒░▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░▒▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▌▒░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▒▁▁▁▁▁▒▒░░░▒░░░░░░▒░░░░░▒░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░▁▐█▁▐░▒▒▁▐█▁░░░
    ▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▌░░░░░░▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▀▀░░░░▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄██▓▓▌▀░▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▐▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▄▒░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓
    ▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▌
    ▁▁▁▁▁▄▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▄

28. ISO #28

29. ISO #29

30. ISO #30

I vote Orpz
    :toad:

Spoiler : O.o :
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWolf
    Why are you being an anti town bitch? You got a fucking point or just a major fucking attitude problem? I dare you to take me on with a game related case cuz I'll tear it apart.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Should there be a poll? My vote is for Yayap if he has time. Gerik is good too.
    I honestly wouldn't feel Yayap represent the site currently. He doesn't play on here for games except I guess the FMs, which I don't know if he was there in last.

33. ISO #33

Quote Originally Posted by Slaol View Post
    No. You tell us what you meant dude
    i meant exactly what i said.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebringer View Post
    I honestly wouldn't feel Yayap represent the site currently. He doesn't play on here for games except I guess the FMs, which I don't know if he was there in last.
    if we were really going to do someone who represented site i would pick you fire

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

36. ISO #36

37. ISO #37

Quote Originally Posted by Gerik View Post
    I was just informed that I'm nominated for a thing. I've recently come into some free time, so I'll do it if I'm chosen. How many reps do we get? Because I'd give it to yayap over myself if he is willing to commit.
    I think it's clear ika is talking about this person. So your point is? Or do you have one besides being an ass to him for no reason?

38. ISO #38

39. ISO #39

40. ISO #40

41. ISO #41

Current Nominations:

-Frog
    -Helz
    -Yayap
    -Sen
    -Calix
    -Firebringer
    -Orpz
    -Gerik
    -Mateo
    -POD
    -RLVG
    -Admiral

This is my line of thought as well. I have nothing but respect for Yayap and consider him to be a much better player than I am but I do not really feel like he is currently a member of this community. Unless he has been playing games under a fake name or something I couldn't vote for him to 'represent' us
    Last edited by Helz; March 29th, 2016 at 11:57 PM.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

42. ISO #42

43. ISO #43

Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Current Nominations:

-Frog
    -Helz
    -Yayap
    -Sen
    -Calix
    -Firebringer
    -Orpz
    -Gerik
    -Mateo
    -POD
    -RLVG
    -Admiral

This is my line of thought as well. I have nothing but respect for Yayap and consider him to be a much better player than I am but I do not really feel like he is currently a member of this community. Unless he has been playing games under a fake name or something I couldn't vote for him to 'represent' us
    To be perfectly frank, from an objective point of view there's an obvious gap in players' abilities and understanding in mechanics. I'd like to send the best player, but I have to agree, some players haven't been active in the last couple years- I know because I've been in or observed every game for the last couple of years. It's hard to judge a players ability if you've never even played with them, and it's been years, lol. If you'd like to send the best active player, it'd be between me and Helz, and I'd vote Helz.

Having said that, I nominate Watermeloann if everyone is going to troll the nominations. Watermeloann is the best player bar none. Sure, you haven't played with watermeloann recently so you have no basis to judge that on, and watermeloann hasn't really been active, but trust me guys, this totally makes sense.

44. ISO #44

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    To be perfectly frank, from an objective point of view there's an obvious gap in players' abilities and understanding in mechanics. I'd like to send the best player, but I have to agree, some players haven't been active in the last couple years- I know because I've been in or observed every game for the last couple of years. It's hard to judge a players ability if you've never even played with them, and it's been years, lol. If you'd like to send the best active player, it'd be between me and Helz, and I'd vote Helz.

Having said that, I nominate Watermeloann if everyone is going to troll the nominations. Watermeloann is the best player bar none. Sure, you haven't played with watermeloann recently so you have no basis to judge that on, and watermeloann hasn't really been active, but trust me guys, this totally makes sense.
    I don't know whats the obsession with best player. We need someone who truly represents the Sc2Mafia community. Who honors our name the best.

And that is Watermeloann like you suggest Frog. He isn't the best player, but he has made a great name for himself, and will get high to victory in this game.

In serious: We should actually ask people if they would be interested to go play this big game before nominating anyone. Cause speaking for myself, I have 0 interest in participating or even playing this game. 100+ Players doesn't sound like a game of mafia. It sounds like a game of insanity.

45. ISO #45

I don't know whats the obsession with best player. We need someone who truly represents the Sc2Mafia community. Who honors our name the best.

And that is Watermeloann like you suggest Frog. He isn't the best player, but he has made a great name for himself, and will get high to victory in this game.

In serious: We should actually ask people if they would be interested to go play this big game before nominating anyone. Cause speaking for myself, I have 0 interest in participating or even playing this game. 100+ Players doesn't sound like a game of mafia. It sounds like a game of insanity.
    Haha, they're 17 player games. 4 mafia, 13 town, with variable open setup similar to Matrix6.

The main difference between Matrix6 and Matrix 12 is that Mafia will always know the entire setup via roles deduction and Town will not.

So softing a TPR role as town that isn't possible will automatically out you as a vanilla town to the Mafia and bring you under suspicion to the actual TPRs who don't line up with your claim on the verticals/horizontals.

The typical play for scum is powerwolfing, so mechanical deduction is very useful in these types of setups. Similar to that last 21er we played on Mafia Universe. Powerwolfing was easily countered with mechanical deduction.

Most sites hate towns who FPS, so a straight forward obvious town style is internationally accepted and revered. That is why Helz' playstyle is advantageous.

At the end of each of the 17 games, two MVPs are chosen, with a third and possibly fourth and/or fifth wildcard. The wildcards play another match to determine the remaining MVP slots for the championship game.

46. ISO #46

Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    I nominate Mateo.
    Let's put in Hypersniper and have the entire community think "...Wtf is wrong with you all"

Serious though, other than self, I'd nominate the following; MattZed, Firebringer, Gerik, Orpz, Yayap, Sen, Damus_Graves, in the order from first left to last right.

47. ISO #47

48. ISO #48

49. ISO #49

50. ISO #50