Running fluid cycling and air compression from one compressor
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Running fluid cycling and air compression from one compressor

I am working on a pretty compact mini-kegarator build but one of the snags I have run into is the compressor. Its the largest individual piece of the build and I can not use 2 compressors. I figure theirs some pretty smart people here so if anyone has an idea I would love to hear it.

The idea is that the refrigeration unit requires constant cycling to use a condenser and evaporator in order to create cooling. But I also want to use the same compressor to compress air and create pressure in the mini keg so that it flows to the tap. My question is if anyone knows of a way to do this without running a separate pneumatic motor. So basically I need to figure out an efficient way to maintain a PSI system separate from a system thats running constant working pressure with only 1 input.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Running fluid cycling and air compression from one compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    That is a badass idea!

I've always dreamed of doing one of those builds, but never got around to it. Especially those last days of university semester when everyone throws out their mini-fridges. (Free materials for such a project)

I saw some DIY project that looked interesting and relevant, but not entirely relevant to your question:
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/home...gerator-plans/
    Yeah, I did a project like that 8 years or so ago with my buddy. My idea right now is making everything from raw components and trying to fit it in an elegant design built specifically for a mini-keg. There are lots of micro brewerys around here that will let you fill the mini keg or growler with their delicious products.

The common thing I have seen in every kegorator build is that the air system is separate from the refrigeration system. This forces you to either run a separate compressor or more commonly to use a small compressed air tank that has to be refilled. If you have any air leaks you end up draining your air supply and the beer goes flat overnight. Its kind of a bad design requiring more upkeep and taking up more space while limiting the life of your beer.

One thing my buddies at Hackaday suggested was something like running a Y or T with a normally closed solenoid right after the compressor and running a pressure switch behind it to function the solenoid but I feel like theres a better way that I am not thinking of.
    Intellectual growth comes from discussions, not arguments. If you are unwilling to change your position and hear the other persons side you are closed minded and wasting your time.
    If you can not clearly explain what the other sides reasoning is you can not disagree with their position because you do not understand it.

4. ISO #4