Making sc2 mafia great again
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Making sc2 mafia great again

With the new expansion of the starcraft 2 lore LOTV, there has been a rise in player activity. With this rise comes of course more attention to the arcade games wich means more mafia games. This game hasnt been updated in a while and that's very sad . This game has such great potential yet is very unpopular (at least in eu). So i have a few ideas that will put mafia back on the map.

1.New players
    As a new player it is very hard to get into mafia, you get flamed on for at least the few first games and you really have no idea what you did wrong. So i thought, why not make a sort of tutorial it works like this: you go solo in game, you have a save and that says tutorial. In this tutorial you learn the basics of the game like how to make a lw, how to play different roles etc.

2.Point system
    I have played quite a few games already, yet im still nowhere near close to getting a colored name (wich is freakin awesome). This needs a rework, it takes too many games to get enough points to even choose your own execution. The only fast way to get points is to get achievements, most of wich are impossible to get because nobody uses such saves (like gate of steiner). And since you only get 20 points if you win and ~10 points if you loose you can see this takes a lot of games to get. So instead of gaining 20 points, why not 50-60 and from loosing 20-30. And if you win with something for the first time +50-150 (depending on role like doc = 50, mm =150). This way new players get the feeling like they really earn something and therefor stay longer. Also if you die on night 1 you almost get no points.

3.Last will system
    Perhaps the most important element in the game, the last will. This is something that has both won and lost games depending on their quality. With such a vital part of the game, many players dont know how to make a proper last will and just trow some things on there that make no sense. This hurts the game bad and should improve. The way i see it, lw should be automatically generated based on your actions. like for example you visit 8 and you see he has been visited by 10, your lw says: night 1: 8 was visited by 10. Of course you still would be able to modify it though.

4.Modify game roles
    Some roles in the game are not fun to play, useless and are just plain boring like these: Coroner, Citizen, Mason, Doctor. Let me explain why.

Coroner: Useless role, you investigate people who are dead, most of wich already gave lw. you only see the roles that visited your target and not the actual names wich makes you only usefull if you target a maf and find out who the others are, wich is almost impossible.

Citizen: Well, or this is disabled, you get audited or you leave. Thats the life of a "Shitizen". This is perhaps the most boring role of all, you only have 1 night action and all the other nights you hope you get converted to cult or die because there is nothing to do with this role. Most times if you claim citizen, most people will think its fake because it is mostly disabled. Make it so you can become mayor, let me explain: you have 8 townies, you are town government. Of course nobody knows you are Citizen so you can relax. However, if you come out as a citizen, people can vote for you with -vote x(x=your number) and make you mayor.

Mason: If you are converted to mason, there is nothing much to do. At least with cult if another cultist dies, you can target others to become cult. Yet with mason this option needs to be enabled, wich is stupid because not many saves have this option enabled.

Doctor: I dont really have a problem with doctor, but it faces some of the problems of citizen, if you claim doc as evil role, it is very easy to make a last will and hope town is stupid enough(wich is usually the case) to not get lynched. Make it so you can see if a doc tried to heal you, this will make doc role calling a lot harder.

5.Neutral roles have a hard time.
    With a normal 8-3-3 save, town wins too easy. For neutral roles it is only possible to win if both town and mafia/triad are retarded (or you are jester). If you are very lucky this can happen, although mafia or town mostly comes out victorious. I could only win with these neutral roles if i got very lucky and managed to kill gf, wich is almost always disabled.

So these where my tips for making mafia great again, note that most of this came out of personal experience and that some of you might disagree (especially with the roles) but i think this needs to change in order to make mafia more popular. This probably wont change because there hasnt been an update since september 2014 but still. A lot of other games are very popular mostly because they dont require such a great number of players, but there are still much players who play arcade games.

Randomlyncher Approves, PS. ALL HAIL CTHULHU

2. ISO #2

Re: Making sc2 mafia great again

due to lotv the eu mafia is unable to be updated, what was the last update you had?
    in any case move to NA for proper mafia even though its still slow it has updated some i think and will continue to do so.

-Suntax
    Listen here in Russian,ex forces and fought in the Afghan war and the first Chechen war I drink vodka and lived in England for 13 years wanna stop me try it.

3. ISO #3

also citizen role change ideas are against site rules i think and citizens are important in a private well organized game sometimes held by players on this site.
    citizens are only seen as boring as they have no night action but night actions dont make the game, players with a good mind do.
    if you wish to play interesting games try s-fm o this site
    24 hour-72 hour nights on host preference
    interesting roles and no stupid trolls ruining game
    good discussion and cunning thinking needed in every game!

-Suntax
    Listen here in Russian,ex forces and fought in the Afghan war and the first Chechen war I drink vodka and lived in England for 13 years wanna stop me try it.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleb017 View Post
    With the new expansion of the starcraft 2 lore LOTV, there has been a rise in player activity. With this rise comes of course more attention to the arcade games wich means more mafia games. This game hasnt been updated in a while and that's very sad . This game has such great potential yet is very unpopular (at least in eu). So i have a few ideas that will put mafia back on the map.

1.New players
    As a new player it is very hard to get into mafia, you get flamed on for at least the few first games and you really have no idea what you did wrong. So i thought, why not make a sort of tutorial it works like this: you go solo in game, you have a save and that says tutorial. In this tutorial you learn the basics of the game like how to make a lw, how to play different roles etc.

Nice, but we don't have a developer to do this. And people prefer to jump in and play, if they really wanted to learn they would use the wiki/watch vidoes

2.Point system
    I have played quite a few games already, yet im still nowhere near close to getting a colored name (wich is freakin awesome). This needs a rework, it takes too many games to get enough points to even choose your own execution. The only fast way to get points is to get achievements, most of wich are impossible to get because nobody uses such saves (like gate of steiner). And since you only get 20 points if you win and ~10 points if you loose you can see this takes a lot of games to get. So instead of gaining 20 points, why not 50-60 and from loosing 20-30. And if you win with something for the first time +50-150 (depending on role like doc = 50, mm =150). This way new players get the feeling like they really earn something and therefor stay longer. Also if you die on night 1 you almost get no points.
    It's intended that way, although you can always enter the MVP competition (Win you get points) and you also could bypass the long wait by donating a little.

3.Last will system
    Perhaps the most important element in the game, the last will. This is something that has both won and lost games depending on their quality. With such a vital part of the game, many players dont know how to make a proper last will and just trow some things on there that make no sense. This hurts the game bad and should improve. The way i see it, lw should be automatically generated based on your actions. like for example you visit 8 and you see he has been visited by 10, your lw says: night 1: 8 was visited by 10. Of course you still would be able to modify it though.

Inputting an automated system renders the fact that a person is supposed to play, useless. Also making fake last wills harder to create. The game notifies people to make last wills, if they dont read and pay attention its there fault

4.Modify game roles
    Some roles in the game are not fun to play, useless and are just plain boring like these: Coroner, Citizen, Mason, Doctor. Let me explain why.
    Before that, the whole intention of the game is to be discussion based, not night power base.

Coroner: Useless role, you investigate people who are dead, most of wich already gave lw. you only see the roles that visited your target and not the actual names wich makes you only usefull if you target a maf and find out who the others are, wich is almost impossible.
    Like some roles, this one is designed to counter other roles. It not only lets you know what roles have visited, but counter janitor/disguiser and are extremely useful in the (rarely used) clue mode. They also help detect other roles (If cult are stlll alive, who is vet ect)

Citizen: Well, or this is disabled, you get audited or you leave. Thats the life of a "Shitizen". This is perhaps the most boring role of all, you only have 1 night action and all the other nights you hope you get converted to cult or die because there is nothing to do with this role. Most times if you claim citizen, most people will think its fake because it is mostly disabled. Make it so you can become mayor, let me explain: you have 8 townies, you are town government. Of course nobody knows you are Citizen so you can relax. However, if you come out as a citizen, people can vote for you with -vote x(x=your number) and make you mayor.
    The first ever town role created. Citizens purpose. The Vanilla role. If you are unable to play the game as citizen, your playing the game wrong. No it will never be removed, no it will never be changed. If you see Forum Mafia you will notice that the majoiry of roles are citizens? why? Because you dont need night actions to be good at mafia. If you can analise the votes and posts, then you can always find scum. If you tried to play a game of the typical Sc2Mafia on forum mafia, town will win.

Mason: If you are converted to mason, there is nothing much to do. At least with cult if another cultist dies, you can target others to become cult. Yet with mason this option needs to be enabled, wich is stupid because not many saves have this option enabled.
    Masons are the informed town, grouped together they can vote block, games used to have more citizens roles back in the day. So a Mason Leaders value was increased. Now a days, Masons are one of them roles that become set-up specific. You see them in Auditor/Citizen/Cult games. Just like you would see Coroners in games that effect the Graveyard.

Doctor: I dont really have a problem with doctor, but it faces some of the problems of citizen, if you claim doc as evil role, it is very easy to make a last will and hope town is stupid enough(wich is usually the case) to not get lynched. Make it so you can see if a doc tried to heal you, this will make doc role calling a lot harder.
    There is no reason to reward a bad doctor by sending out role comfirmations. The Idea of the game is that people can lie, they can make up last wills. People choose Doctor, or BG, since they are the easiest to fake.
    In the end, your role should not matter, but your skill.

5.Neutral roles have a hard time.
    With a normal 8-3-3 save, town wins too easy. For neutral roles it is only possible to win if both town and mafia/triad are retarded (or you are jester). If you are very lucky this can happen, although mafia or town mostly comes out victorious. I could only win with these neutral roles if i got very lucky and managed to kill gf, wich is almost always disabled.
    Supposed to be the most difficult. A Neutrals ideal game, is to keep the town:scum ratio balenced, to remain unnoticed/considered town.

So these where my tips for making mafia great again, note that most of this came out of personal experience and that some of you might disagree (especially with the roles) but i think this needs to change in order to make mafia more popular. This probably wont change because there hasnt been an update since september 2014 but still. A lot of other games are very popular mostly because they dont require such a great number of players, but there are still much players who play arcade games.
    Indeed. But no Developer no update, a lot of us players play Forum Mafia (Basically the next level of difficulty) I would implore you to try this out.
    Dont forget SC2 is now a dying game, no more expansions, the player base will slowly go down. But Mafia is at that point where it has enough loyal players to keep the game going until the whole sc2 dies away.

Randomlyncher Approves, PS. ALL HAIL CTHULHU
    A few main points:

The game will never be updated again, apart from punishments. Since we do not currently have a developer. Unless you know of one who is willing to do it.

The Intention and idea of the game is to be discussion based, not night action based.
    Cryptonic made this sig

Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    gotchu fam

Attachment 28016

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    New people make mistakes. They hopefully learn from them.
    I spend 1 hour on wiki and now everybody lynch me because I know too much or being called a hacker
    Best feel ever lol

v)o.o)^
    A rare Yuki in ultimate form

Yukitaka Oni ~Tafkal Hit Squad Member~

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitaka Oni View Post
    I spend 1 hour on wiki and now everybody lynch me because I know too much or being called a hacker
    Best feel ever lol
    The good old times, on eu, having majority of people thinking I cheated when in turn, using WIFOM and getting the enemy roles killed <o.o>
    Quote Originally Posted by DarknessB View Post
    Not even Mikecall reads Mikecall as Town. :)

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mikecall View Post
    The good old times, on eu, having majority of people thinking I cheated when in turn, using WIFOM and getting the enemy roles killed <o.o>
    >be me
    >veteran role (setup 9-3-3)
    >day 4
    >no neutral kill ever report
    >told the town there are arsonist
    >everyone call me hack
    >night coming
    >alerted
    >5 times report there is an intruders, I pulled M16 gun and bang them
    >Janitor,Godfather,Arsonist,Witch,Jester
    >next day
    >confirmed by Lookout
    >?????
    >free win (Consort die day 2)
    $)o.o)$ 10/10 would alert again

v)o.o)^
    A rare Yuki in ultimate form

Yukitaka Oni ~Tafkal Hit Squad Member~

11. ISO #11

I totally agree with you on everything you said, but the problems i listed are mainly for the arcade game. Forum mafia looks cool to me, but the only reason i play the arcade version is because of the graphical interface. There isnt really another thing like that other than that stupid game Town of Salem, wich is not so good designed as the sc2 version in my opinion. I think that if you could take the sc2 game and make it like a site based game/app for on smartphones, that it would be very popular. But i dont think that will ever happen so text based and sc2 are probably the best options.

But anyway thanks for replying to my post

Btw that was a Donald Trump reference in the title yeah, because it is not meant to be taken super serious XD

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by Doubleb017 View Post
    4.Modify game roles
    Lmfao. You picked the most overpowered roles to shit on.

Citizen is by far the most fun/invincible.

Coroner has the power to fucking fly and use laser beams if he survives until Night 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    Thread nulified when OP shat on Coroner/Citizen/Mason.
    Lol. Samsies.

14. ISO #14

>be me
    >veteran role (setup 9-3-3)
    >day 4
    >no neutral kill ever report
    >told the town there are arsonist
    >everyone call me hack
    >night coming
    >alerted
    >5 times report there is an intruders, I pulled M16 gun and bang them
    >Janitor,Godfather,Arsonist,Witch,Jester
    >next day
    >confirmed by Lookout
    >?????
    >free win (Consort die day 2)
    $)o.o)$ 10/10 would alert again
    Haha, the most legit way for winning as a truly badbass veteran <o.o>
    Not even Mikecall reads Mikecall as Town. :)

15. ISO #15

Proposal #2: We build a (fire)wall and force the hackers to pay for it?
    I love the hackers. I employ thousands of them at my company. I love the people. They're great workers. They're fantastic people and they want to do their hacking legally. But when 4chan sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroplant View Post
    Mafia will be very interesting for the duration of this sentence, and lots of individuals' tummys will hurt from laughing so hard. I've had to fall out of my chair and lie on the ground before, as it was just too painful to laugh LOL.

16. ISO #16

Best feel ever lol
    - some example: night sequence on
    + break glass and gun shot, you know it's Mafia kill
    + break the glass and stab, you know it's a serial killer
    + bang bang, break door, annoying bullet, you know it's a Vigilante
    + chainsaw, depend on how long people scream and how long is the chainsaw noise, you know it's a mass murderers
    + depend on the number of alert feedback, you know if there is another veteran exist if the number of vet kill more than number of your feedback.(newbie basic mistake-they always thought there is one feedback intruder only)
    + suicide by gun but feedback he's struggle (witch exist)
    --------> you are investigator of the town even you are just a citizen.