[WIP] S-FM Semi-Open Even Night Cult 9er - Foundations for an average Cult enjoyer (scary :cuteghost: uuU)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

S-FM Semi-Open Even Night Cult 9er - Foundations for an average Cult enjoyer (scary :cuteghost: uuU)

Semi-Open Even Night Cult 9er

The Bureau
    Secret Societies
    Night Watch
    more ideas
    Cultist

Sheriff(Lunatic)
    Sheriff

Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Cultist

Mason
    Mason

Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Cultist

Lookout
    Veteran

Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Cultist

???
    ???

Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen
    Citizen

Rolecards

Cultist
    You are the Cult. Your goal is to put an end to Town and start a new world order.
    On every even night, Cultist team gets one conversion. N0>N2>N4>N6
    You can send one of the Cultists to visit another player to convert them into Cult. Converted TPR's retain their power.
    N0 conversion is rolled from citizens and can never be a TPR.
    Cultists share a Day/Night chat.

a. You have successfully converted your target.
    b. You hear a pin drop in a dark alley followed by a bright, loud explosion. You are dead.

Citizen
    You are a member of Town. Eliminate all Cultists to win.

a. You were visited by a charismatic stranger. They convinced you to join their Cult.

Sheriff
    You are one of the two assigned investigators for Town, tasked to find and reveal the Cultists.
    On every night, visit another player to find out their alignment.
    Lunatic Sheriff gets a reversed result. You will never know if you are a lunatic or not.

a. Your target is Town.
    b. Your target is a member of Cult.
    c. You were visited by a charismatic stranger. They convinced you to join their Cult.

Mason
    You are a member of another secret society aligned with Town.
    You share a Day/Night chat with the other member of Mason.

a. You were visited by a charismatic stranger. They convinced you to join their Cult.

Lookout
    You are a DIY investigator, working with a motion detector to find out who is home at night.
    You are forced to visit other players at even nights, find out if another player visited them or they were visiting another player. You won't know who they visited or who visited them.

a. Your target was visited by another player.
    b. Your target was visiting another player.
    c. You hear a gun shot in the distance and a bullet impact on your head. You are dead.
    d. You were visited by a charismatic stranger. They convinced you to join their Cult.

Veteran
    You are a paranoid war veteran. You can only go on alert once by choosing between N2 or N4.
    You will kill yourself and the cultist visiting you at night. If you are visited by the Lookout, you will live but the Lookout will die.

a. There were no visitors.
    b. A suspicious looking man was creeping around your place. You leave to deal with them.
    b.2. You have died. / You have survived.

Order of Operations

Veteran alert
    Lookout visit
    Cult conversion
    Sheriff checks

Win Conditions
    Town: Eliminate all Cultists.
    Cultist: Reach a minimum 50%/50% with town.

Rules
    Link to Forum Mafia Rules
    Need to change the rules as a host? Communicate with FM mods before creating a sign-up thread.

Additional Rules
    Lynch is Maj+Plurality. 51% of votes to hammer.
    Day elimination is skipped in case of a tie.
    Day is 48h/Night is 24h.
    Minimum 10 post requirement on D1.
    Roles will be rolled and handed out on N0.
    Host can pick the 2nd Cultist on N0 or leave it to the first Cultist to choose before the host rolls the TPR's.
    Once converted from Town to Cult, your wincon changes to Cult's wincon regardless of your role.

Important Notes & Balance

Inspired by both @Lumi 's ideas on our discord server and @Damus_Graves Werewolf setup: https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showt...php/43635-S-FM

Solo scum start and cultist games can be hard to balance. Cultist conversions is one those sharp mechanics that can easily deter any other alignment player from playing the game effectively.

This setup aims at solving that problem by limiting conversion to Even Nights and removing factional kill. We are considering cultist conversion at a value between 2 and 2.5 KP instead of 1 KP.

N0 conversion avoids D1 defeat for Cult if Town correctly eliminates the cultist on D1.
    TPR conversion reduces the limitations imposed by the roles on the game.
    Earliest Town victory is EOD2 and earliest Cult victory is EOD3. Game can last longer than D3.

If you have a fun role/comp suggestion, please feel free to suggest them! I am looking forward to improve the setup and have more variants

2. ISO #2

Re: S-FM Semi-Open Even Night Cult 9er - Foundations for an average Cult enjoyer (scary :cuteghost:

Suggestion for Night 0 conversion:

1) During pre-game rand, players only receive their alignment
    2) The cultist then has a 24 hour night 0 where they pick someone to convert
    3) During the night processing phase, the player they targeted is converted to cult, and the power roles are randed among the remaining town

This guarantees all of:
    - Two cult at the start of the game
    - A cultist that can pick their teammate
    - No night 0 power role conversions

3. ISO #3

Re: S-FM Semi-Open Even Night Cult 9er - Foundations for an average Cult enjoyer (scary :cuteghost:

The two sheriff setup is too strong for town.

A sheriff that doesn't know if they're sane or not is still generating parity checks, and parity cop is still quite strong, having two parity cops is stronger, and having guaranteed one lunatic and one non-lunatic is stronger than two parity cops since there's a much greater chance that they can deduce who is who.

Can masons be converted into cultists? The feedback seems to imply that they can

Have not had the time to analyze the setups in detail yet.

4. ISO #4

Part of the main problem is that there's no counter-balancing for the cult based on what the town gets. So in theory there will always be a variation that is best and worst for town, and leaves the overall setup inconsistent in terms of balance. An example counter-balancing mechanic would be if a cult tries to convert a TPR in X or Y variation, the TPR is blocked or something messy like that. That I just thought off the top of my head though, so it may not be what I would advise for each variation.

Double sheriff is probably a lot stronger than you think it is. Lunatic is hardly an impairment, even if it could obfuscate results. These roles could claim and instantly clear themselves if uncontested, and they can check every night, which adds to the problem that Lumi points out. Very strong for a 9P. Especially if they claim the day before an F-X scenario.

You'd probably have to create something like the Champs where with enough variations roles can exist in two (or more) different variations, such that their existence does not necessarily confirm the existence of another. The less likely that roles can claim and instantly clear themselves (worst-case would be non-lunatic sheriff claiming a green, claiming sheriff, and then other sheriff claims, possibly clearing or giving heavy favor to three slots simultaneously), the less likely we'll see swinginess and imbalance in a setup.

Alternatively, you can change the setup into a format where the roles or abilities are hidden but are presented in a list where the host of the game chooses from. Read the last game I hosted for an example of that. It even has setup notes (edited in after post-game) for what I ended up selecting as the host, so you may get good ideas from it if you look there.
    A.K.A "That One Idiot"

5. ISO #5

I agree the sheriff comp is strong.

What about limiting the checks to odd or even night? and perhaps the lunatic always gets a green check? all of that can tune it down and the sheriff claims won't be as strong anymore.

I would prefer having more setup variants involving some of the roles in other variants here instead of making the setup hidden. i am having a creative block tho. if we could get like at least 2 more setups with other roles involved somehow, then maybe we can save this setup. or we can just retire this idea forever.

6. ISO #6

Setup D. idea: a suicidal cop that dies when they visit cult but they receive the sheriff rolecard.

Setup C (Night Watch) and this Setup D can have no role flips. This means that vet killing lookout won't be revealed to town as lookout killed, but people might think suicidal sheriff hit cult check. Remember, only lookout dies from lookout > vet visit. The lookout can flip green if a cult visits the same night because they die before they are converted.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by bakermir View Post
    I would prefer having more setup variants involving some of the roles in other variants here instead of making the setup hidden. i am having a creative block tho. if we could get like at least 2 more setups with other roles involved somehow, then maybe we can save this setup. or we can just retire this idea forever.
    I think its doable and I would like to help more but unfortunately I can't really at the moment. Just spent much of my time working on the other setup I just made last night lol. That, and other stuffs.

May be able to help more later this week / next week, as this probably takes a few hours of being looked at and thinking of ideas rather than just looking at it for a short time every-so-often.
    A.K.A "That One Idiot"

9. ISO #9

since all my games are finished, I will have some time to work on this.

Most of the stuff will be retained and I will be nerfing the PR's a bit. I will also add more PR's and a flavor.

I am also considering martin's suggestion and make things hidden with a full list of possible roles. I might even make a role tree sheet for people to solve.

I will stick to the formula: Earliest Town victory is EOD2 and earliest Cult victory is EOD3. Game can last longer than D3.