Useless Achievements
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Useless Achievements

I just played a game where both the SK and the GF gamethrew because they were trying to get an achievement. They literally talked the town into some 31-day achievement or some crap and nobody was voting anybody. I was the sheriff and confirmed the SK, nobody would lynch him; They wanted an achievement. The GF shot the SK the entire game. When he finally -suicided, his last will wrote he attacked the same guy since n1 - n9. Seriously?

This is getting out of hand.

I'm all for achievements because I know some people like them, but what kind of achievements do we allow people to get?

I suggest eliminating the trivial achievements. There's no way people are going to have a 31 day game without some sort of agreement and cooperation. I have no idea what achievement the GF was going for, is there an achievement that encourages being a bad GF? I think that's pretty silly.

I think you should eliminate all achievements that encourage gamethrowing or behavior that detracts from the purpose of the game.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Useless Achievements

Games have achievements, some of which are good and some of which are bad. I was playing the SWTOR MMO today (yes, people do still play that) and I got an achievement for dying 10 times in a PvP Warzone: not an achievement that you'd necessarily want to earn under normal circumstances, but an achievement nonetheless. With regards to the Marathon achievement, you may not have loved how the game went but clearly the majority of players did, so I'm just gonna have to go with the "bringing the greatest good to the greatest number" logic.
    AKA Othnia (Battle.net ID): formerly in FMs II-XII.

4. ISO #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ganondorf View Post
    Games have achievements, some of which are good and some of which are bad. I was playing the SWTOR MMO today (yes, people do still play that) and I got an achievement for dying 10 times in a PvP Warzone: not an achievement that you'd necessarily want to earn under normal circumstances, but an achievement nonetheless. With regards to the Marathon achievement, you may not have loved how the game went but clearly the majority of players did, so I'm just gonna have to go with the "bringing the greatest good to the greatest number" logic.
    So what's up, you follow a dumb trend just because everyone else is doing it?

It's fine, if the makers of this game want to keep completely unrelated achievements in the game so be it. This is the first game I've seen completely destroyed by these achievement-hunters so it isn't that bad.

I just think having an achievement that isn't related to the gameplay is an achievement at all. So you shot an SK all game and gamethrew as GF, you must be really good at Mafia! Way to reward stupidity. That's what it is, so I'm gonna call it that. Rewarding stupidity.

I think achievements should be a statement of skill, like the Flawless Victory achievement. Or maybe one where a Sheriff ONLY finds bad guys on his invests. There are some out there.

But hey, look, if you want to keep these useless achievements in that's fine. Just don't ban me when I leave the game because I don't want to waste my time on something dumb.

I think achievements should be earned naturally through the course of gameplay. "You just got 500 wins, *500 wins achievement*". If you have to deviate from natural gameplay to earn an achievement then the achievement doesn't represent the skill of the player. It's completely unrelated.

I don't play Mafia to chase illusionary carrots, I play Mafia to play Mafia. When you get a bunch of people excited for some dumbass achievement that means nothing it ruins the game. When all the town agrees NOT to lynch the SK, well, that's not why I play Mafia.
    Last edited by lawson; November 22nd, 2013 at 01:06 AM.

5. ISO #5

Do your part and report players for relevant infractions. If they gamethrew, they gamethrew. That's against the rules and is punishable. THAT'S how we keep mafia being played the way it ought to be played, by enforcing rules and diligently reporting players who don't follow those rules. If you didn't submit a report (which you may have, I don't know) then you shouldn't have even posted this thread

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

Look, you think I should have reported them. That's fine. My mentality is to fix a problem before it starts.

I noticed achievements that were available that ENCOURAGED gamethrowing. I'm sorry if I didn't communicate this effectively. I thought these achievements that ENCOURAGE a poor gameplay or a gamethrow should be removed because they give people a reason to gamethrow!

And why should I report them? I don't care enough to take 30 mins out of my time to report someone who's only gamethrowing to achieve something the game offers. It's not their fault the game rewards them for bad behavior.
    Last edited by lawson; November 22nd, 2013 at 05:10 PM.