Captive Orcas and Dolphins.
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Captive Orcas and Dolphins.

I just watched a documentary from earlier this year called Blackfish. It focuses on both the danger and morality surrounding captive orcas.

Before watching this film, I already held the view that keeping such large, intelligent animals in a small tank alone was inhumane. Watching this film only reinforces my view that keeping captive orcas and dolphins is extremely immoral.
    Young orcas are captured and separated from their mother when they are captured from the wild.
    They are forced to live together with orcas from completely different regions, countries, etc. They do not speak the same "language" nor provide support to each other, both of which has never been observed in wild pods.
    A calf born in captivity was taken from its mother and sold to another park, this to me is reminiscent of african slave trades.
    I think I shed some tears during some footage shown in the documentary.

I learned about a new side of captive orcas in amusement parks in the film. Not only are the animals being mistreated, the deaths of trainers were being branded as accidents by Seaworld, when they were blatantly attacks by the animals on the trainers. I find this disrespectful to the trainers, being blamed by the corporate executives when they are dead and cannot defend themselves. It's sickening.

The film features a very large number of former seaworld trainers giving interviews criticising the concept of captive orcas. Many of which talk about how deaths have been downplayed and how they were oblivious to the lies they were telling to the public while they were trainers.
    A classic lie would be that captive animals live longer than animals in the wild, because they receive medical care. This is blatantly false as pointed out in the film.

The lack of awareness by the general public about how they have been told lies angers me too.

I cannot explain the content of the film without writing a horrible essay with my sub-par literacy skills, so I highly recommend everyone to watch this film if they haven't already.
    Enough about my opinion, my question to you guys here is, what is your opinion on the captive treatment of marine mammals such as dolphins and orcas.
    Do you believe this issue is as important as human rights, gay rights, etc?
    Last edited by Mugy; October 25th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.

Spoiler : :
    FM XIV - Rapture : Denizen
    FM XV - Star Wars : Citizen
    FM XIV - FuzzyWuzzyTown : Doctor

2. ISO #2

Re: Captive Orcas and Dolphins.

Animal rights are extremely important to me! I'm glad you agree. Although I think that you need to open up your view and include all animals. Animals are treated brutally at most farms/packing factories. But since people think of it as "food" instead of animals they dont care. I suppose if you only considered things like seaworld and zoos as entertainment, you probably would look past the severe treatment of these creatures! It truly is disgusting though, not just the treatment of the animals, but the sheer lack of knowledge most peple have on this.

i<3cryptonic

3. ISO #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mugy7 View Post
    Do you believe this issue is as important as human rights, gay rights, etc?
    Yes, and there are many worse examples when it comes to animals and wild life.
    Why just Orca and Dolphins? Let's think about all animals.

It's a delicacy to cut the backfin of a shark and cook it.
    The shark remains alive, before slowly moving down to the ocean floor and die.

Dogs being cooked alive to have the stress and situation cause death-sweat for taste.
    Imagine the pain and fear they endure.

Rhino and elephants have their tusks removed without any painkillers of any sort.
    They are scarred for life: They are still alive and in the wild.

In some places, frogs are eaten raw and alive with their concious head last.

With these short examples, it proves humanity at points stupid and careless.

What can we do about this? Almost nothing. Humans will continue to abuse and kill animals as if it had no soul.
    Reminds me about the church saying animals do not have souls, which is quite bullshit.

4. ISO #4

There is nothing human in corporation interests. It is up to the consumers to save the world.

Be a caring consumer.
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

5. ISO #5

In North Korea we have over 50% of the HUMAN population addicted to meth, starved by the government, and others who are imprisoned. Christians and jews in the middle east persecuted because of their religion, children in India with parents who are either too poor or don't care enough about them to take care of them, and people in Syria getting attacked by chemical weapons.

Yet despite all the things happening to your own species, you're worried about a bunch of marine animals...

I believe we should focus on fixing what we do to our own species rather than what we do to other creatures.

Sure what we do to them is bad, but I will put my attentions on a human life over the life of an orca or a dolphin any day.
    None can stand against the coming Darkness...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYCS6k1IOA
    Sometimes, the light can come from the darkest places...

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkestLight View Post
    In North Korea we have over 50% of the HUMAN population addicted to meth, starved by the government, and others who are imprisoned. Christians and jews in the middle east persecuted because of their religion, children in India with parents who are either too poor or don't care enough about them to take care of them, and people in Syria getting attacked by chemical weapons.

Yet despite all the things happening to your own species, you're worried about a bunch of marine animals...

I believe we should focus on fixing what we do to our own species rather than what we do to other creatures.

Sure what we do to them is bad, but I will put my attentions on a human life over the life of an orca or a dolphin any day.
    Animals is more important than humans, true fact.

Without animals, the ecosystem is going straigth to hell and all life will eventually fade. That also counts for plants and insects.

Ironically, having an evil government is better than a good government.
    - Evil: Manipulate the country and everything that happens, maintaining control.
    - Good: Support humanity, expand and gather as many resourses as possible to continue build itself and the country.

Edit :
    Just a few animals marine animals? This happens in a lot of places in the world. In the book, it looks like 10 to 50. Reality? Maybe 10,000 to almost entire species.
    Last edited by RLVG; October 25th, 2013 at 01:31 PM.

7. ISO #7

Quote Originally Posted by RLVG View Post
    Animals is more important than humans, true fact.

Without animals, the ecosystem is going straigth to hell and all life will eventually fade. That also counts for plants and insects.

Ironically, having an evil government is better than a good government.
    - Evil: Manipulate the country and everything that happens, maintaining control.
    - Good: Support humanity, expand and gather as many resourses as possible to continue build itself and the country.

Edit :
    Just a few animals marine animals? This happens in a lot of places in the world. In the book, it looks like 10 to 50. Reality? Maybe 10,000 to almost entire species.
    Yes the ecosystem will go to hell without them. But yet we are humans, so thus to our species we are more important to ourselves than they are to us. If we all killed each other to the point only one of us was left, then bam, we're screwed.

But then again as you said animals are more important than we are. So we should all end our own lives to save them because we're destroying the planet. Which is basically what that statement says.

Also...
    Evil: Kill everything that disagrees with us, and show no mercy to anything human or otherwise to gain total control.
    Good: What you said.

And I only said a few marine animals due to the fact that that is what this thread is named after. There are plenty of examples as you said.
    None can stand against the coming Darkness...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWYCS6k1IOA
    Sometimes, the light can come from the darkest places...

8. ISO #8

We have too many humans. Dolphins and Orcas will be died out centuries before we do. It's only fair to care more for other species over humanity.
    Spoiler : fm history :
    FM 6: Commoner/Legionare(roman)/Legionare(Sin) FM8: Stan Investigator FM9:Yakov German(Sapper) FM10: Fm Rumpel Vigilante FM11: Renekton: Serial Killer FM12: Sandor: citizen = scum FM13: Wicket : Devourer FM14: Torynn: Andrew Ryan (GF)

9. ISO #9

To the darkest light:

This is a quote from last century, when Nazi went in power.

"When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."
    -----------------

Do not let humanity die in your heart for excuses that you are too busy to care.

One second, save your soul.

It is not only about animals. Talk and think on a bigger pictures is more important than any narrow arguments.
    Last edited by louiswill; October 25th, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

10. ISO #10

there are SO many causes requiring SO MUCH effort and attention for SO LITTLE return that requires SO MUCH vigilance so it doesnt become corrupt...

its best just to chill out. i kno ur young and wanna change the world but it aint happening. whales r dying, trainers r dying, and the general public is happy.

next issue.

protip: try changing war in iraq or domestic surveillance

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

Quote Originally Posted by louiswill View Post
    There is nothing human in corporation interests. It is up to the consumers to save the world.

Be a caring consumer.
    Unfortunately most people don't give a damn, or don't know about animal abuse. Lonely world

Spoiler : :
    FM XIV - Rapture : Denizen
    FM XV - Star Wars : Citizen
    FM XIV - FuzzyWuzzyTown : Doctor

13. ISO #13

Orcas and Dolphins must be kept captive and trained for our own entertainment at Sea World. Even the Bible says that animals were made for the use of humans.
    We are opposed to the line of compromise with imperialism. At the same time, we cannot tolerate the practice of only shouting against imperialism, but, in actual fact, being afraid to fight it. Kim Il Sung
    [CENTER]S-FM: Bus Drivers, S-FM: Trust, S-FM: Double Killers, S-FM: Double Killers Too, S-FM: Heart of the Swarm [COLOR="#FF0000"]HOST[SIZE=1]

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    go shoot a sea world employee. until then, you dont give a damn either. its ez to condemn a subject and ask for someone else to fix it
    That's mean. The sea world employee is just working for a living. Go target those who fund it - the paying visitors; may I recommend more firepower?

16. ISO #16

Humans are terrible, that's the sad truth. Sure, Orcas and Dolphins have it hard, but the same is true for horses, chickens, cows, pigs, dogs, cats, turtles, whales, lobsters, monkeys, etc. etc. etc. I don't think there is a single species on this planet that wasn't used by us in most gruesome way.

I remember watching "Free Willy" when I was little. It's sad that still nothing changed after all those years.
    Indolent.756, EU server.
    Indolent.628, NA server.

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by Mugy7 View Post
    Unfortunately most people don't give a damn, or don't know about animal abuse. Lonely world
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That's mean. The sea world employee is just working for a living. Go target those who fund it - the paying visitors; may I recommend more firepower?

I know you cared, I know someone else has same feeling. That is enough to bust loneliness. You should be happy about it.

19. ISO #19