PlayMafia.com
Register

User Tag List

Thread: PlayMafia.com

1. ISO #1
    Jezternz

Red face PlayMafia.com

PlayMafia (https://playmafia.com)

Hi, I am currently the sole developer working on (yet another) port of Dark Revs incredible mafia game. I work as a fulltime software engineer, but dedicate much of my free time to work on PlayMafia. I have been working on PlayMafia for (almost) the past 2 years. It has gone through some quite radical changes in that time, and has gone through some limited testing done by groups of friends. I now believe it is ready to be more rigorously tested and needs more community feedback. I have tried to outline the details below, hopefully this answers most of the questions people may have.

As I am very busy these days, I will likely only have time to develop this, and do not have the time for the continual communication and back and forth with actual players. I am aware of the importance of this and desperately need volunteers to make this happen.

For those who are keen to at least check it out, feel free to visit the site, if you want to organize a game, feel free:
    https://playmafia.com
    beta code: nowplaymafia
    ** Please note at present, this game is Google Chrome ONLY, but will be supported in the latest firefox and Internet explorer shortly.

Goals:
    • High accessibility - no requirement of SC2, easy registration, doesn’t require anything but the browser.
    • Portability - can run on any PC and will resize the UI to fit your browser, meaning you can shrink mafia to half your screen and watch a game finish while doing something else.
    • Newcomer friendly - A comprehensive help, always available anywhere in the game (click the help button ingame, to see all implemented roles etc) - similar to sc2 mafia wiki, an easier dive into the game for new players.
    • Community driven - Fully integrated friends system, if the community as a whole doesn’t like a feature, the feature gets cut.
    • Highly modular and customizable - The ability to create different themes for the game, I have thought about themes for pirates, western, scifi to name a few. The ability for added customizability will be prioritized, simplicity will remain an important goal.
    • Free (of course)

FAQ:
    • How many classes do you plan on implementing?
      So far there are 19 implemented, I plan on implementing many of the great classes Rev has perfected, following this, I would like to try some of my own and other great ideas from the community.
    • What other features are you adding?
      Some ideas: Leaderboards, spectating, ladders, “invite-friend-by-link”, music, game setups, group chat, post-game timeline, Points system, Reputation, game filters based on reputation or experience, mobile (browser) version.
    • How does this relate to other SC2 Mafia & other games
      This game is heavily based on SC2 Mafia and would not be possible without the hard work Rev has put into the game. I have had conversations with Rev and he has not raised any concerns against its existence. I realize this can be seen as direct competition to other games such as “EpicMafia”, “Town of Salem” and others, It is my hope that competition will drive better games for you ‘the end user’.
    • Whats the tech?
      The game is written entirely in Html, CSS and Javascript. The client connects using websockets over a secure SSL connection and makes full use of HTML5 and CSS3. The server runs on modulus (amazon), is written entirely in node.js and uses redis as the database.

How can you help? (the important part)
    • Community Manager - Someone who can organize testers, make community posts (in forums and the like), possibly run a twitter account. Please consider applying for the position of the PlayMafia Community Manager if you are self-motivated and responsible. For this position, I would like to know what you're good at, where your online presence is, get in contact, I Desperately need this person!
    • Lead Tester - Multiple lead testers are desperately needed!! ( I have one so far). You will be responsible for selecting and organizing a group of players to play once every week or two. Then coming back to me with a summary of bugs and improvements gathered from the players. If you are just a popular player with lots of friends, this is a good position to give a try
    • Tester - I am not currently looking for testers, but when I get Lead Testers (post below), they will be looking, so you can contact them ;)
    • Wordsmith - Someone to fill in and improve all the help and ingame-text.

contact.playmafia@gmail.com
    Or PM me for my skype

Thanks for your time,
    Jez
    Last edited by ; October 12th, 2013 at 01:13 AM.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5
    Jezternz

Re: PlayMafia.com

Hi Think
    I am really quite open at this point, It will be a separate community for now, but I am more then willing to integrate with others. I have not really discussed or thought about this
    Last edited by ; October 12th, 2013 at 01:32 AM.

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Jezternz View Post
    Hi Think
    I am really quite open at this point, It will be a separate community for now, but I am more then willing to integrate with others. I have not really discussed this
    I feel that connecting it with existing mafia communities would be a smart move to get it off the ground. That would offer a stronger starting player base.
    I would also point out that the game may draw players but the community is what will keep them around. Tieing your game to a forum would save you the trouble of creating and moderating a forum but you could very easily make your own. Either way that is something you may want to look at. And in your interest I would suggest making a place to receive donations for your work.

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

10. ISO #10

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13
    Jezternz

Thanks for showing interest, you guys have already helped me to nail one bug just from my looking at the server logs.

I don't suppose one of you would be willing to organize a time, and just message people and get a game going at some point. I am in a very unfortunate timezone of GMT +12 (New Zealand), so its rather difficult for me to be around at convenient times.

As for the community, I think I need to find someone willing to run a forum, and probably get someone who has time to post on redit etc, get some players interested.

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

A Test key is required, right?

I do want to have some customized roles though
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

17. ISO #17

18. ISO #18

Quote Originally Posted by powerofdeath View Post
    I just tested it from my computer and from my iphone.
    Apparently this can support smart phone with Google Chrome app.
    This seem very interesting and it looked really great. I would like to have more people to play it and we can test stuff.

I am hosting a game at this time!

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...013+6%3A30+EST

Just be there at least 5-10 minutes before so we can play! Everyone is welcomed!
    That's damn late ?early?, around 6AM in the US where I woud guess most players are lol

19. ISO #19

It's possible to mass accounts quickly since there's no email requirement. Also, you can log in multiple accounts in the same browser just by opening another tab I was able to join PoD's game with two accounts in two tabs.
    Spoiler : Orpz FM History :

FM17 - Won, FM18 - Won, FM19 - Won ,FM20 - Loss, FM21 - Won, MVP, FM22 - Host Canceled, FM23 - Won, FM24 - Hosted, FM25 - Won, FM26 - Loss

20. ISO #20

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

Quote Originally Posted by Muso View Post
    lool
    Don't worry, I laughed too xD

EDIT: As for the website, this seriously has potential. We should support it here, if its possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    You should be priviledged to experience bestmas.

"waah the screen is shaking, waah my delicate eyes".

Fuck sake.

23. ISO #23

It definitely have a lot of potential.
    I played about 10 games so far. It seem too easy for someone to just create a second account.
    But i understand that it is needed during Beta, but if it ever get popular, you can make a staff team to help you out like SC2 Mafia have a staff team.
    In the lobby, the host should have an option to kick someone out of the game.
    Also the host should have options for the roles, such as having citizen have 1 bullet proof vest or not.
    I noticed a lot of spelling errors in the game, like sherif for example with only 1 F.
    If people support this, this game can and will become very successful, I see some future for this game.
    One game, the skin is totally fucked, and its almost unplayable, I dont know what went wrong. It wasnt just me, it was other people too.

Just keep updating it, youre doing great!

@Citrus, youre thinking of 6:30 AM, but I meant 6:30 PM
    Last edited by powerofdeath; October 12th, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

24. ISO #24

25. ISO #25
    Jezternz

Hmmm yeah, it seems that players aren't getting logged off correctly for some reason. I will have to investigate further, and I think I have a fix, but will take a bit of work to get fixed. I will make this my first priority. Then following that, Jailor has a bit of work. For now I can manually restart the game server to auto-log-off people.

I am very keen to get a team of staff up and running with elevated privileges, specifically (lead) testers and the like. I would love to setup a reputation system where, more active players = higher reputation = elevated privileges. Making moderation more auotmated (similar to the system used on stackoverflow.com).

I could look at limiting registration based on an email? or simply by external ip address? then removing the pass key. Then we can look at getting support from other communities.

26. ISO #26

27. ISO #27

Quote Originally Posted by Jezternz View Post
    Hmmm yeah, it seems that players aren't getting logged off correctly for some reason. I will have to investigate further, and I think I have a fix, but will take a bit of work to get fixed. I will make this my first priority. Then following that, Jailor has a bit of work. For now I can manually restart the game server to auto-log-off people.

I am very keen to get a team of staff up and running with elevated privileges, specifically (lead) testers and the like. I would love to setup a reputation system where, more active players = higher reputation = elevated privileges. Making moderation more auotmated (similar to the system used on stackoverflow.com).

I could look at limiting registration based on an email? or simply by external ip address? then removing the pass key. Then we can look at getting support from other communities.
    perhaps prevent same IPs who are below a certain reputation level from being in the same game? While this has the advantage of giving you full control over who to ban and why, it also limits you in terms of effectiveness (we can count on it costing money to make additional accounts, where as yours is freely accessible) so some extra measures may be in order.

28. ISO #28
    Jezternz

Hey guys,

I have thoroughly loved working on PlayMafia, however I have hit some serious obstacles recently, being:
    * The timezone is a problem, I am in GMT 12+, many hours different to most of the US.
    * I enjoy programming far to much, and find it very hard to set aside the time to work on (community &) management, when I could be programming this (or another) game.
    * I have limited time (to regularly talk to people, organize tests, community events and set up forums), mostly related to the previous two points.

I do want to thank all those that offered to help in different ways, unfortunately there is still the one position I need filled, basically the administrator. I will keep an eye out in the future (and will continue to post in other places) for someone to fill this spot, and would ask that others do also (contact.playmafia@gmail.com). But for now I will be pausing work on PlayMafia.

Cheers, J
    Last edited by ; October 27th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

29. ISO #29
    Criminal

Hard to find anyone playing. Any organized events happening? Great site though.. clean design and simple way to play. Better in both respects than EpicMafia.com because that has a huge learning curve.. Not enough friends to get a game going.

30. ISO #30

31. ISO #31

32. ISO #32