why do people pray for the dead?
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

why do people pray for the dead?

I'm just curious as to what the Christians/Jews/Muslims think on this issue. I go to church and they have a special 1 hour ceremony just for the deceased and I just don't understand why. If you die, you are either A) forever in bliss in heaven or B) eternally damned in hell it doesn't seem like praying will get one from A to B or vice versa so this whole praying for the dead seems counter-intuitive to me.

Or are they expecting some kind of miracle like Lazarus?

2. ISO #2

Re: why do people pray for the dead?

because they can.
    Spoiler : fm history :
    FM 6: Commoner/Legionare(roman)/Legionare(Sin) FM8: Stan Investigator FM9:Yakov German(Sapper) FM10: Fm Rumpel Vigilante FM11: Renekton: Serial Killer FM12: Sandor: citizen = scum FM13: Wicket : Devourer FM14: Torynn: Andrew Ryan (GF)

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

dunno why you even ask this here. Just go to wikipedia. Seriously. Troll topic.
    FM 6: Commoner/Legionare(roman)/Legionare(Sin) FM8: Stan Investigator FM9:Yakov German(Sapper) FM10: Fm Rumpel Vigilante FM11: Renekton: Serial Killer FM12: Sandor: citizen = scum FM13: Wicket : Devourer FM14: Torynn: Andrew Ryan (GF)

7. ISO #7

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

You keep loving people even after they die, it's as simple as that. Folks probably make up some sort of metaphysical rationale, or copycat it to seem righteous, but as soon as you lose someone you love you'll understand. It just doesn't matter that they aren't there any more, you feel the way you feel and that's real.

Full disclosure; I haven't lost anyone I was really close to yet =P

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    different levels of heaven, if i understand my religion correctly.
    Kinda curious...so theres like a level 1 heaven, level 2 heaven,...eventually going to super badass heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Look what you have caused. Seems like everyone who posted is now confused about their own gender and are venting their frustration into opinions.

11. ISO #11

Quote Originally Posted by Apocist View Post
    Kinda curious...so theres like a level 1 heaven, level 2 heaven,...eventually going to super badass heaven?
    no not exactly, purgatory isnt heaven. its awaiting to get into heaven once your soul is clean and pure. but that'd be pretty cool lol

purgatory is like where you'll go if you havent been cleansed of your sins, but you didnt commit any sins bad enough to be sent to hell.

i<3cryptonic

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

Thinking of it, praying for the dead, is about sensing their doing of living rather than sensing their life in heaven or hell.

Anyway, those feelings encourage living ones. The message of dead is wordless and intuitive.

Reasons will be difficult for anyone to express.

The more you pray the more you will understand.

A person's death is not just a personal affair, it is a thing worth thinking for everyone else.
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

17. ISO #17

Why do atheist perform funeral for lumps of rotting meat? You know they should like scavenge and sell whatever reusable body parts and then throw the rest into the incinerator. One dead person is another living person's profit! Uh no, don't tell me nonsense like that it was your dad's or mom's... organic matter is organic matter.

I hope I answered your question.

18. ISO #18

People pray for the dead out of egoism. They do it because they hope that it achieves something good for the decayed so they can feel better afterwards. That's basicly the main reason why they do it.
    Last edited by CmG; September 22nd, 2013 at 09:49 AM.

19. ISO #19

20. ISO #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    if you pray for the dead, even if there is no god, you are remembering them and honoring their memory
    And in turn, people will also honor themselves more.

People held most pride are those one who respect others.

Prays for the dead is as good as praises for living in a sense.
    When we talked about pubs, we are talking about us.
    When they talked about pubs, they exclude themselves.
    They say only bad players want to modify citizens, and they do not satisfy bad players.
    Are we bad players? We include bad players, but that is just a part of us.
    ---They put veteran, mayor, allowed jester to visit for nothing, and they regretted and say those things are brainless.

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

Better pray for the living. They have at least a future!

23. ISO #23

If there are different levels of "powers" in heaven that you can achieve, is it really a "heaven"? I never heard this hierarchy in heaven before (other than God, Jesus > everyone else). I mean heaven by definition is a perfect place and you would think a perfect place has no power differences between what you would consider to be equals (children of God?). I mean I understand there's angels but I thought angels were actually not humans (someone correct me if I'm wrong)? (ie satan was technically a fallen angel idk where I heard that but I think it's from one of the outside written scriptures about the Bible but not directly from it).

24. ISO #24

I think that any religion has more mistakes in it than number of religous people. I'm not saying that I'm atheist, I just think that all the religions of humanity are just wrong and senseless.

EDIT: OFFTOP: PS: Hi 2 all ^^
    Sencerely yours,

Self_Obsessed_Attention_Hungry_Wh()re_With_High_Ambitions_And_Low_IQ

25. ISO #25

Quote Originally Posted by Espozito View Post
    I think that any religion has more mistakes in it than number of religous people. I'm not saying that I'm atheist, I just think that all the religions of humanity are just wrong and senseless.

EDIT: OFFTOP: PS: Hi 2 all ^^
    Humans caused mistakes in religion, to be Human is to have made mistakes! All humans sin, it is in our nature. There fore you think all humans are senseless and wrong?

i<3cryptonic