how to deal with stupids
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

how to deal with stupids

need some advice from the great thinkers of sc2 mafia on friendship (I came here because I don't have other friends to talk about this matter with). Anyway I have this friend who thinks he's like the smartest fucker in the world (keeps calling himself "incredibly rational") and won't ever fucking admit he's wrong. Anytime I get into argument with him, which is like every day, he never will back down even if he's ignorant on the matter.

Example:
    We had an argument on jobs and he literally said straight up that CEO isn't a hard job because all it requires is "thinking".
    I asked him if he knew what CEOs even do. He replied "Don't they just hire other people to do their job for them and just think of new ideas or something?"
    So I told him briefly what CEOs actually fucking do (like oversee the entire business, meet up with board, meet up with cfo and executives, lead the company blah blah) and he still won't admit that it's a pretty damn demanding job. He says and I quote word by word:
    "... honestly like CEO isn't that hard. It's just like thinking and meeting people. I mean like construction is way harder."

Please help.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: how to deal with stupids

honestly discussing with ignorant people isn't that hard. It's just like argumenting with little kids. I mean argumenting with old people is way harder.

Try to corner him with precise arguments. Don't leave him free room where he can swim until you have him at the balls. Lulz.

Best tip just don't argue with that guy at all.

Oh and don't marry her!
    Spoiler : fm history :
    FM 6: Commoner/Legionare(roman)/Legionare(Sin) FM8: Stan Investigator FM9:Yakov German(Sapper) FM10: Fm Rumpel Vigilante FM11: Renekton: Serial Killer FM12: Sandor: citizen = scum FM13: Wicket : Devourer FM14: Torynn: Andrew Ryan (GF)

5. ISO #5

6. ISO #6

7. ISO #7

The main issue here is pride; he has a preconceived notion, and his pride won't let him admit he's wrong. He won't accept he's wrong no matter what, so really you have 2 options:

1. The frontal approach: Gather as much hard data as you can from as many sources as you can and use that as undeniable proof that he's wrong. Provided the evidence is strong enough, this will most likely knock him down a few notches, but could also bruise some ego and the friendship.

2. The diplomatic approach: Show him that both jobs are equally as hard, just in different aspects, and just because one is hard in a different area doesn't make it easier or less valuable in any way. Also show him that both are very important and require specific people to do them; a CEO could probably not build something as well as a construction worker, but the construction worker probably couldn't manage as well as the CEO does. Thus, both are important to the well-being of the company.

I personally use the second option more often than the first, unless I REALLY don't like the person or am really angry with them, since normally I try to preserve friendships where I can.

Good luck and I hope you do well
    Spoiler : FM History :
    M-FM Curse of Castle Varen - Ace Chapman - Ritual Killer - Loss
    FM XIX - FM Jaheira - Explorer - Win
    S-FM 111: ♥ - Lover - Loss

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic
    I'm going to call you Madison Twatter
    I am Madison Twatter, the Epic Epitome of Towniness ^.^

8. ISO #8

9. ISO #9

Quote me

My dad works as the CEO of a small sweepstakes business, and he is always working. (He leaves Tuesday and comes back Thursday, since he has to fly to his Wichita, KS location)

My Step-dad is the CEO and owner of a contracting company and his phone rings every few minutes with business.

Being a CEO is hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    You should be priviledged to experience bestmas.

"waah the screen is shaking, waah my delicate eyes".

Fuck sake.

10. ISO #10

Sounds like you guys need to change your conversation topics. Like neither of you is able to objectively debate with the other. Try avoiding debates if you value the friendship or work on getting past your pride.

On a side note being a CEO is kind of like a politician for big companies. For Mid level and small companies its a ton of hands on interaction.

11. ISO #11

12. ISO #12

13. ISO #13

Quote Originally Posted by marinebase7 View Post
    need some advice from the great thinkers of sc2 mafia on friendship (I came here because I don't have other friends to talk about this matter with). Anyway I have this friend who thinks he's like the smartest fucker in the world (keeps calling himself "incredibly rational") and won't ever fucking admit he's wrong. Anytime I get into argument with him, which is like every day, he never will back down even if he's ignorant on the matter.

Example:
    We had an argument on jobs and he literally said straight up that CEO isn't a hard job because all it requires is "thinking".
    I asked him if he knew what CEOs even do. He replied "Don't they just hire other people to do their job for them and just think of new ideas or something?"
    So I told him briefly what CEOs actually fucking do (like oversee the entire business, meet up with board, meet up with cfo and executives, lead the company blah blah) and he still won't admit that it's a pretty damn demanding job. He says and I quote word by word:
    "... honestly like CEO isn't that hard. It's just like thinking and meeting people. I mean like construction is way harder."

Please help.
    arguing about who's right and who's wrong on a subjective topic

now who's really stupid?

and CEO is an easy job. deal with it.

14. ISO #14

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    arguing about who's right and who's wrong on a subjective topic

now who's really stupid?

and CEO is an easy job. deal with it.
    Depends where you work and how much money and responsibility is involved. You can't just say CEO is an easy job. Idk but at least our CEO's usually have an academic degree. So yeah not everyone can get one in the first place... CEO of a snack shop sure. CEO of a big company doubtful.

I consider firing people on a daily basis as hard.
    Last edited by CmG; August 20th, 2013 at 04:24 AM.
    FM 6: Commoner/Legionare(roman)/Legionare(Sin) FM8: Stan Investigator FM9:Yakov German(Sapper) FM10: Fm Rumpel Vigilante FM11: Renekton: Serial Killer FM12: Sandor: citizen = scum FM13: Wicket : Devourer FM14: Torynn: Andrew Ryan (GF)

15. ISO #15

16. ISO #16

i think you should just stop trying to talk to this person about things that are too complicated for him to percieve find other people like you who dont mind being wrong and accept it also i like thedarkestlight's idea GIVE EM AMNESIA and then tell him he is a janitor of a really dirty bathroom that gets dirty automatically so that he has no hope of ever getting it clean

17. ISO #17

HMM

making $136 a day breaking your back/ risking your life for a job that will be laid off when the economy shifts, or making $11k a day flying around the world and knowing if you fuck up it just means you dont get your christmas bonus and have to fire people that had no part in the fuck up

TOUGH CHOICE

18. ISO #18

HMM

making $136 a day breaking your back/ risking your life for a job that will be laid off when the economy shifts, or making $11k a day flying around the world and knowing if you fuck up it just means you dont get your christmas bonus and have to fire people that had no part in the fuck up

TOUGH CHOICE
    Well the tough part is getting there in the first place. ;)

19. ISO #19

HMM

TOUGH CHOICE
    TIL every CEO has a private jet and is filthy rich

20. ISO #20

HMM

TOUGH CHOICE
    sounds like a real hard choice for the man making that big cash and could care less what happens to the people breaking their backs just to get by paying their bills

21. ISO #21

22. ISO #22

23. ISO #23

I really don't get this argument that being a CEO is easy because they make money. People that are high up in a company have a lot of pressure to deal with. If a grunt messes up maybe that job is a little screwed up and the company looses a tiny bit of money. If a CEO screws up maybe 30,000 people loose their jobs and the savings they had built into the company. Not to mention all the share holders that have their futures invested. That is some very real pressure even for a guy that 'could care less' about the little man. Nobody wants thousands of people mad at them.

I'm saying this from my last 6 years being the grunt (4 in the marines and 2 working on oil rigs) and I have been making moves to own a company and be a partner in 2 others. Its all hard work. Just one you have to keep putting out and the other you have to have put out in the past for.

I shun this topic of discussion!

24. ISO #24

OMG THE SAYING IS "COULDN'T CARE LESS". If you can care less, it means you care about the topic.

Anyways, @ TC, if you're this upset by a friend's personality, why are you friends to begin with? If you have an argument over stupid shit, pull out your phone and look it up to prove him wrong or some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

25. ISO #25

Do what I do with stupid people.
    Slowly convince them they are intelligent for years.
    Then, when they least expect it, convince them to apply for a position or something. They will fail miserably instantly and rethink their entire life up until this point.
    Either they will figure it out and stop being morons, or they will go through a midlife crisis and stop talking to everyone. This can combine with a turn to drugs, or complete disappearance from the world you know.
    I've successfully done this to 4 people that could not seem to fathom their own level of stupidity.

I also do this with people in regards to the opposite sex.

I'm kind of a dick.

26. ISO #26

Quote Originally Posted by Slaol View Post
    Do what I do with stupid people.
    Slowly convince them they are intelligent for years.
    Then, when they least expect it, convince them to apply for a position or something. They will fail miserably instantly and rethink their entire life up until this point.
    Either they will figure it out and stop being morons, or they will go through a midlife crisis and stop talking to everyone. This can combine with a turn to drugs, or complete disappearance from the world you know.
    I've successfully done this to 4 people that could not seem to fathom their own level of stupidity.

I also do this with people in regards to the opposite sex.

I'm kind of a dick.
    Lol. I would love to see you in a bar.

27. ISO #27

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkLiveLife View Post
    Lol. I would love to see you in a bar.
    Turns out he is shizo and all those 4 "girls" were himself! DUN DUN DUN!

Also usually you shoot dumb people in the head before they reach you to eat your brain.

28. ISO #28

Quote Originally Posted by CmG View Post
    Turns out he is shizo and all those 4 "girls" were himself! DUN DUN DUN!

Also usually you shoot dumb people in the head before they reach you to eat your brain.
    The 4 people were males.
    My comment of the opposite sex was slightly different in meaning.

29. ISO #29

30. ISO #30

31. ISO #31

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkLiveLife View Post
    I really don't get this argument that being a CEO is easy because they make money. People that are high up in a company have a lot of pressure to deal with. If a grunt messes up maybe that job is a little screwed up and the company looses a tiny bit of money. If a CEO screws up maybe 30,000 people loose their jobs and the savings they had built into the company. Not to mention all the share holders that have their futures invested. That is some very real pressure even for a guy that 'could care less' about the little man. Nobody wants thousands of people mad at them.

I'm saying this from my last 6 years being the grunt (4 in the marines and 2 working on oil rigs) and I have been making moves to own a company and be a partner in 2 others. Its all hard work. Just one you have to keep putting out and the other you have to have put out in the past for.

I shun this topic of discussion!
    being a fellow texan you should know the executives at enron gave no fucks about stealing from their employees and share holders. also see ford, carnegie, pullman, the bushes, the rockefellers, etc.

to clarify, around here a CEO is the head of a corporation, otherwise they are small business owners. dunno why you would defend people that make in one week of luxury cars and a/c what you made in a year of risking your life.

32. ISO #32

being a fellow texan you should know the executives at enron gave no fucks about stealing from their employees and share holders. also see ford, carnegie, pullman, the bushes, the rockefellers, etc.

to clarify, around here a CEO is the head of a corporation, otherwise they are small business owners. dunno why you would defend people that make in one week of luxury cars and a/c what you made in a year of risking your life.
    Leading a large corporation and being able to come up with the plans to fuck people out of their money, while making deals and concepts to make more money, is not easy.

I would much rather be a CEO than a low-level grunt however xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    You should be priviledged to experience bestmas.

"waah the screen is shaking, waah my delicate eyes".

Fuck sake.

33. ISO #33

Okay, I see your point but I also dunno why you need to antagonize them though

34. ISO #34

35. ISO #35

Quote Originally Posted by Killerd33 View Post
    what the hell is the deal with my little pony show is for little girls dunno why people take the time to bring it up has nothing to do with the discussion and then it sucks
    I respect your opinion. Have a nice day!

^ See? That's how you deal with them. Perfect example.
    Indolent.756, EU server.
    Indolent.628, NA server.

36. ISO #36

Quote Originally Posted by marinebase7 View Post

Example:

Please help.
    Your both right. Just different. For every person you are, theres one of them. Empires have been built on less. "CEO" can have multiple meanings in different scenarios, some specialize in only what your friend said, and allow a board to do the rest. Some, contrarily, do a large portion of the work. It's just different.

But a question, how many CEO's do either of you know? Maybe you should ask a few.

37. ISO #37

Quote Originally Posted by Dagaen View Post
    I respect your opinion. Have a nice day!

^ See? That's how you deal with them. Perfect example.

though i do not like the show myself i do not however tell someone not to watch what they like who am i to tell someone to not like it and you have a good day yourself dagaen

38. ISO #38

what the hell is the deal with my little pony show is for little girls dunno why people take the time to bring it up has nothing to do with the discussion and then it sucks
    After watching all of the episodes and interacting with the MLP community on reddit and 4chan, I learned how to deal with teh stupids (as asked by OP). That is why I am recommending it. The more you hate, the hornier we become
    WHITE BOY SLIM WAS HER~

39. ISO #39

Quote Originally Posted by WHITE BOY SLIM AYO View Post
    After watching all of the episodes and interacting with the MLP community on reddit and 4chan, I learned how to deal with teh stupids (as asked by OP). That is why I am recommending it. The more you hate, the hornier we become
    i dont enjoy it but you and whomever wishes to enjoy it go do so because again just cause i dont like it doesnt mean others shouldnt be able to enjoy it to their hearts content

40. ISO #40

Quote Originally Posted by sc2reboot View Post
    Your both right. Just different. For every person you are, theres one of them. Empires have been built on less. "CEO" can have multiple meanings in different scenarios, some specialize in only what your friend said, and allow a board to do the rest. Some, contrarily, do a large portion of the work. It's just different.

But a question, how many CEO's do either of you know? Maybe you should ask a few.
    i know one. Has not much free time, has a lot of cash. 2 Houses a son. Divorced and no hair anymore. Lol. He is a guy you ll hire if your company is doing bad so he comes and cleans up then leaves and goes to the next. Most of the time he sits on a plane.

He aged quite a bit the last 4 years faster than expected. He is 39

Glad i don't have that job!

41. ISO #41

Quote Originally Posted by CmG View Post
    i know one. Has not much free time, has a lot of cash. 2 Houses a son. Divorced and no hair anymore. Lol. He is a guy you ll hire if your company is doing bad so he comes and cleans up then leaves and goes to the next. Most of the time he sits on a plane.

He aged quite a bit the last 4 years faster than expected. He is 39

Glad i don't have that job!

WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY AND HAIR LOSS

42. ISO #42

WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY AND HAIR LOSS
    Yeah, I think I remember seeing something on TV about how all presidents seem to age immensely and lose their hair over their 4 year terms. I remember seeing an age enhancing photo of Obama (when he was first elected) before and after 4 years.
    WHITE BOY SLIM WAS HER~

43. ISO #43