S-FM Queue
Register

User Tag List

Thread: S-FM Queue

1. ISO #1

S-FM Queue

Borkbot, is it possible to make a S-FM hosting queue so potential hosts can have some kind of reference for when their hosting slots might be coming up? There could be different queues for 13 player s-fm's and under 13-player s-fm's since they get approved at different rates.

I'm sure you already have some sort of system in place when you look around to comment on and approve games. I think it would just be nice to have official queue lists published.
    The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

4. ISO #4

Re: S-FM Queue

The "system" I use at the moment is mostly in my head. I have a pretty good memory when it comes to these things so I don't really have to document anything to keep it fair (if you're wondering why Cryptonic hosts so much, it's because he's smurt and his setups are all 10p or less while those who have been waiting a long time are all 13p).

Anyway... first I look if there's any space because upcoming because games will soon end (I try to keep ~4-5 active games at a time).

I look at all setups on the first page that haven't been hosted yet. Anything older and left unbumped probably means the host lost interest or already posted some new setup.

I take into account the setup size (categories 12-13 player, 10-11 players and smaller games). Since the active player base seems to have grown a little bit recently, I might try raising the number of 12-13 player games to 2 again in the near future..

Then I look at who had to wait the longest since their last hosting OR since they posted their oldest setup (whichever of the two is shorter counts). So if Cryptonic posts a 13p game and half a dozen 10p games, that 13p game probably won't ever get to the front of the "queue" because the supply of small games is limited. He hosts more small games than there's 13p games getting approved.

If a host has posted multiple setups, then the one they bumped last gets priority (if this is a newer setup, that does not affect their place in the "queue")

If it's been a long time since any posts were made (more than 2 weeks), I ask if that person is still interested in hosting.

If yes, then I start reviewing the setup. In my experience, it's not worth judging setups too long before I want to approve any because the host might come up with completely new/changed ideas to replace the setup they originally had in mind, which makes the first effort kind of wasted.

^
    So there you have my thought process.

I could keep a queue in a post somewhere, but I probably wouldn't strictly adhere to it because circumstances change. For example if a host doesn't reply quickly when I ask if they're still interested, I let someone else go first. If a new host posts a setup, I tend to let them go before anyone who has hosted in the last few weeks, even if they posted their setup a little bit later (as an encouragement for their creativity and involvement in the MFM community).
    Last edited by BorkBot; February 8th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
    [FMVI: Angel FMVIII: Gunsmith FMIX: Peasant FMX: Blacksmith
    MFM-I: Serial Killer MFM-II: Citizen MFM-III: Detective MFM-IV: Godfather/Witch MFM-V: Emperor MFM-VI:Host
    SFM-I: Spy SFM-II: Bandit SFM-III: Host SFM-VI: Skeleton Knight
    Awards: MFM-IV MVP SFM-VI MVP]

5. ISO #5

I totally agree with letting new hosts go more quickly in the queue. I just think it would be really helpful to have some sort of indication (even if you don't strictly adhere to it) about when your hosting/other people's hostings are coming up.

For example, I'm wondering if my hosting will be in a few weeks vs a few months because I haven't really had a chance to look through the setups subform as thoroughly as you have. I'm planning to be pretty busy in March and would need to significantly pre-write RP, etc if my hosting looks like it will come up in March, but if it looks like it will come up sooner (like in February) or later (like in April) then that's not really a problem. I think a queue would help all hosts know when to be ready, etc.

Btw, this is totally not supposed to be a thread where I critique your current queuing system. (Just thought I would mention that b/c it seemed like you felt a need to explain things) :P I just know that on other sites there are host queues that seem to work pretty well for host planning so I thought I might suggest it here. :]
    The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off

6. ISO #6

A disclaimer would cover the legitimacy of push-backs. The only thing I fear about making a queue is that some people will /complain regardless if they get pushed back for whatever reason because they're supposedly entitled to whatever on the internet. Perhaps you won't, but it's bound to happen.

And I don't like forum drama. :/
    [FMVI: Angel FMVIII: Gunsmith FMIX: Peasant FMX: Blacksmith
    MFM-I: Serial Killer MFM-II: Citizen MFM-III: Detective MFM-IV: Godfather/Witch MFM-V: Emperor MFM-VI:Host
    SFM-I: Spy SFM-II: Bandit SFM-III: Host SFM-VI: Skeleton Knight
    Awards: MFM-IV MVP SFM-VI MVP]