Role: Hostage Taker (Mafia)
Register

User Tag List

1. ISO #1

Role: Hostage Taker (Mafia)

I know this is sort of a jumbled mess of text, I just wanted to type my thoughts out before I fall asleep and forget them. I will organize this sometime soon. For now, bare with me and I hope you understand what I am trying to say and would like opinions.

------------------------------------------------------------

I always think the jailor gets off too easy, he is powerful and there needs to be a counter role that makes people weary of jailors.

This guy is basically the mafia jailor, when he takes a hostage, the hostage appears to be in jail, and it appears a jailor is talking to him.

The GF and other mafia listen in on the conversation between the hostage taker and hostage and they can chat behind the scenes like normal.

If there is a GF, he is notified who is being held hostage and chooses whether to execute or not by simply clicking his name on the night list, when the hostage's name is clicked, the "Jailor will execute" message will be shown for both the hostage and hostage taker, as to keep things the same between jailor exe and hostage exe. GF can also "change his mind". If he decides not to execute him he can simply kill someone else like normal.

With no GF, the hostage taker decides whether to exe or not, but if he chooses not to, any mafioso can attack someone else or even the person being held hostage.

The Mafia (with the exception of disguiser kill) CANNOT kill both the hostage and someone else, just so we are clear about that.

Disguiser's ability is not influenced by who is held hostage or whether he is executed, he can disguise as the hostage if hostage is left alive.

Other mafia roles such as janitor are also not influenced by who is held hostage. Imagine a janitor, hostage taker, GF combo.

Any person killed while being held hostage, will receive the mafioso death message. (Not sure about this, but maybe instead it should say he was executed)

Jailor is removed from vig/mafioso category to investigators and gets its own category. "Your target appears to hold people at night, he could be a jailor or hostage taker." or something like that.

The hostage taker gets all the same abilities as jailor, perfect rb, target is immune at night, cannot hold hostages after lynch, target cannot be healed. And takes hostages with -jail

If a jailor and hostage taker choose the same target, whoever selected first gets the target. (Please make it so only one jailor can take a target, I am sick of two jailors confirming each other by jailing the same person. Also with hostage taker, if jailor fails to get target, that would confirm a hostage taker to jailor under current conditions.)

(Not sure about this) Hostage takers can hold other mafia, but cannot execute, giving held mafia night immunity and possible protection from jailors.

Would fall under "Mafia Killing" Category.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple thoughts about this quickly

Hostage Taker counters day 1 mayor reveal, as being held hostage blocks doctors and bodyguards.

Holding own mafia could save a GF or other mafia from a jailor who knows something.

Could influence how people react to jailor, making jailor role more susceptible to wrongful executions.
    Last edited by Jkount; November 3rd, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

2. ISO #2

3. ISO #3

Re: Role: Hostage Taker (Mafia)

Why would a Mafia aligned jailor ask if his teammate is in his jail cell if he can see his team?

As for the role, it is called the Interrogator in Forum Mafia.
    I like it, but not with the rest of the team seeing the conversation. I think the role would be fair if it had to make a decision between talking his teammates or jailing in a given night with a 1 execution charge.

4. ISO #4

I like the fact that if they execute the captive, they cannot do a normal mafia kill.
    Will the execution ignore healing and immunity like normal jailing does? If so,I'd think it would be overpowered. Interesting concept.

Spoiler : :
    FM XIV - Rapture : Denizen
    FM XV - Star Wars : Citizen
    FM XIV - FuzzyWuzzyTown : Doctor

5. ISO #5

To make this role less powerful, give it one execution, and prevent it from jailing once all he uses all his executions.

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

6. ISO #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    To make this role less powerful, give it one execution, and prevent it from jailing once all he uses all his executions.
    would be fair i guess yeah... a Mafia-aligned Jailor would be more useful in early game too i guess... before people start wondering why two people are jailed rather then one (when there can only be one Jailor)

i see it mostly used to gather information by making people think your Jailor... and then execute someone who claim an important role (like Jailor, Mayor, BG, or Veteran)

Wiki User: Deantwo

the SC2Mafia Wiki is my playground!
    Spoiler : FM History :

FM18: Bushwalter (Drug Dealer)

7. ISO #7

Yea, and you can't just remove executions from him, because then no one will tell the jailor their role, thinking they're the Hostage Taker/Interrogator

Quote Originally Posted by S-FM Blue Masquerader View Post
    Hey moron. shut the fuck up or I will shut you up, k? I'm not the person your going to insult and live happily ever after. K? Understand that,

8. ISO #8

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
    I like this. Also, only let him jail on days WITH lynching. Makes him further rival to Jailor, as well as progressing the game to hopefully use less randoms.

Edit: I also think the death message should maybe match the Jailor. Jailor message + ???s would be weird. So it wouldn't be quite as OP when combined with the Janitor. Being able to take hostages and bypass Healing/BG/Bussing AND clean the target is pretty powerful.
    Last edited by Slaol; November 3rd, 2012 at 12:33 PM.

9. ISO #9

Quote Originally Posted by Slaol View Post
    I like this. Also, only let him jail on days WITH lynching.
    that would be too easy... everyone would know that it's not the real Jailor...

I also think the death message should maybe match the Jailor. Jailor message + ???s would be weird. So it wouldn't be quite as OP when combined with the Janitor. Being able to take hostages and bypass Healing/BG/Bussing AND clean the target is pretty powerful.
    it wouldn't matter what the death message is really... if he can't kidnap people after he has killed... unless you wanna confuse Town even more... i mean it's powerful enough that Mafia can kill two people that night...

by the way... would be interesting if the kidnapped target was pulled into the Mafia's night chat... but could only see what the Kidnapper says... there by allowing the other Mafia members to see what's going on... but they won't be able to kill the target as he still count as being in a jail (Kidnapper would have to execute him)

10. ISO #10

Quote Originally Posted by Deantwo View Post
    that would be too easy... everyone would know that it's not the real Jailor...

it wouldn't matter what the death message is really... if he can't kidnap people after he has killed... unless you wanna confuse Town even more... i mean it's powerful enough that Mafia can kill two people that night...

by the way... would be interesting if the kidnapped target was pulled into the Mafia's night chat... but could only see what the Kidnapper says... there by allowing the other Mafia members to see what's going on... but they won't be able to kill the target as he still count as being in a jail (Kidnapper would have to execute him)
    On the lynching- Actually... fact. Well done. Blah.

No, he said Mafia can NOT kill more than 1. The Mafia night kill just works like an execution for that night.

11. ISO #11

No, he said Mafia can NOT kill more than 1. The Mafia night kill just works like an execution for that night.
    ah missed that... i guess that could work... then my idea of the Kidnapped player being pulled into the Mafia Night Chat may make more since too... as the GF would be able to order/ask the Kidnapper not to kill he's victim

12. ISO #12

ah missed that... i guess that could work... then my idea of the Kidnapped player being pulled into the Mafia Night Chat may make more since too... as the GF would be able to order/ask the Kidnapper not to kill he's victim
    Well I think that is actually what Jkount wants. As he wanted GF to do the killing. Also, can we officially call this Kidnapper, not Hostage Taker.

13. ISO #13

Well I think that is actually what Jkount wants. As he wanted GF to do the killing. Also, can we officially call this Kidnapper, not Hostage Taker.
    yeah Hostage Taker sound weird... Kidnapper make more sense

14. ISO #14

15. ISO #15

Quote Originally Posted by Necroplant View Post
    How many more roles will we include? The more roles get added, the more get neglected, and more troll saves I create.
    Not a valid arguement to FM.

I know it's SC2 Mafia, but still! There's no such as too many roles, all we need is a perfect balance between it all.
    Having more roles are consinderably more balanced, because if one is neglected then the game itself will become disbalanced and unenjoyable.

As for the role, I'm against a 2nd jailor - town, maf or neutral.