Search Results - SC2 Mafia
Register

Search:

Type: Posts; User: yzb25

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 0.06 seconds.

  1. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,782

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post


    I just wanted a friend because this pandemic made me lonely and mentally unstable.

    PS: you can have a good time if you fold a tissue, rip a hold, and go to town on it than just using your hands. It feels pretty good
    you should maybe begin by saying sorry to helz then lol. You were kind of a massive cunt, plus he probably didn't even write that rep message you attributed to him.
  2. Forum:Circlejerk

    Thread:it's coming home

    Thread Author:yzb25

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    2
    Views
    155

    ►►it's coming home◄◄

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJqimlFcJsM

    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

    Spoiler : :
    lol jk i dont give a shit. lmk when they win starcraft
  3. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,278

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by WrathCyber View Post
    That was literally me. Except it didn't taste like soap (Idk maybe I'm an animal)? But it did burn the back of my nose.
    yeah I can't taste it either. I just feel the burning in my throat and nose. Maybe if I dilluted with more soap...
  4. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    In the Netherlands, 42% of the members of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands (PKN) are nontheists. [...] A minister of the PKN, Klaas Hendrikse has described God as "a word for experience, or human experience" and said that Jesus may have never existed. Hendrikse gained attention with his book published in November 2007 in which he said that it was not necessary to believe in God's existence in order to believe in God.

    from wikipedia XD
  5. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    A bit off topic but I was working on the house and rolling some stuff around in my head and came up with this off topic and totally unsubstantiated
    Spoiler : atheist conspiracy theory: :

    So I was thinking about power structures behind groups and how they push growth of their group because it expands their power. Then I thought about Atheism and the categories included. It occurred to me if you had the belief 'There is no God' you pretty much have a very specific pool of the population that would be included in such a group. This greatly limits group growth and therefore- the growth of your power structure. So how do you grow?

    Expand the belief pool. If Atheism were able to swallow agnostic's it can hit a much wider pool of the population. But after that how do you grow? You have excluded a huge portion of the population which is every person who holds a religious belief.. Well, now that you have swallowed Agnostics you can include any religious person who also adds the "But who really knows" at the end of it.

    Such an evolution of an organization matches up what little I have looked at and satisfies my cynical outlook on power structures.


    Like I said.. Totally unsubstantiated assumptions and pretty off topic but I might not be wrong given that it does explain the direction of growth while establishing motive..

    -edit

    I wonder if religions will ever attempt to include gnostic individuals to expand their power group
    I don't really see that. I think if anything atheists are likely to feel superior and smug and form exclusive cliques like you get with (some) feminists. I think that's reflected in the rhetoric. Marketable atheists that make lots of money through their atheism are "intellectuals" and edgy and non-mainstream. While modern christians are gentle, polite and as innoffensive as humanly possible (I'm thinking of the pope). That's the behaviour of a group trying expand... or at least stop contracting.

    Jewish atheists are a thing because jewishness is also like an ethnicity, afaik. Even if you don't really subscribe to the religious views you can still be closely affiliated with the community and be "ethnically jewish". This christian atheism thing is pretty wild tho. I had no idea this existed and i've got a big shit eating grin on my face now
  6. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Somebody around actually knows that! xD

    Ever since a crazy Muslim literally decapitated a teacher in France for talking about Muhammad in a way he didn't like or something like that, there's... a lot of tension, let's say. It absolutely isn't a non-existant mentality. I'm a bit surprised it seems foreign to some people.

    @ helz wallpost: Same experience about people describing themselves as agnostic first and foremost, not as atheists when it's what they actually mean. Didn't expect to face disagreements about that, honestly.
    I've of course seen people be extremely anti-religion, but I've never heard anyone oppose religious expression here in the UK ("showing your religion should be illegal"), so my experience is like ceko and banana's.

    I also generally hear the word agnostic used that way, and respect people don't have to use words the way a dictionary tells them to. I apologize if I gave a different impression due to my pedantic interjections lol
  7. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:who needs goals

    Thread Author:theoneceko

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    32
    Views
    948

    ►►Re: who needs goals◄◄

    well at least your taste has improved =P
  8. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:who needs goals

    Thread Author:theoneceko

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    32
    Views
    948

    ►►Re: who needs goals◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by WrathCyber View Post
    Is that gundham in the background on your profile pic
    looks like a gothic take on the elric brothers
  9. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    i have never heard an atheist say that.
    I think there are actually people who say that in the francosphere tho. (I can't tell for sure because they're all speaking french) France has been edging towards banning hijabs in public for a long time in the name of "secularism". They take their secularism very far over there. So mm isnt pulling it out his ass when he says it like an american evangelical is
  10. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    I said assume because we don't have to think it's true, just to use the possibility of its truth as a basis. I guess if we don't believe in it, we're believing we're doing something utterly useless though lol.
    All our well-founded scientific theories can be taken as assumptions of convenience by the same rationale. That removes any kind of belief from science, if you see things that way
  11. Forum:Forum Mafia Discussion

    Thread:Gambits

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    70
    Views
    1,468

    ►►Re: Gambits◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by LagAttack View Post
    Those all involve 1. e4 e5 lines, which I do not play at all
    based
  12. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaCucho View Post
    Except for that observable evidence and the scientific method doesn't require faith or belief to trust. It's not like someone is just telling us "the earth revolves around the sun, yo, trust me". There is actual observable evidence to support it. Saying that anyone who says the earth revolves around the sun is stating a belief based on faith because no one can really know for sure is kinda an ignorant statement.
    well it requires trust in the people who understand it in the cases where you do not, it requires belief that the current model doesn't just happen to work for the small subset of cases we've tested it on and, more trivially, it requires trust in the accuracy of the instruments and experiments. It may seem pedantic, but all of these things have lead scientists to incorrect assumptions at one point or another. The earth revolving around the sun case is a bit extreme tho. Nonetheless, you might find this video interesting --

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqTGYzLXziU
  13. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    You just made me dismiss the existence of these things at their very mention, that is correct. But strictly speaking, you made me discover constructs that were not present in my mind before and take a stance based on that. I did not believe that those things existed or that they did not exist before, but now, I do. You certainly didn't change my perception of reality much through that, but the element "lava lamp with wings" was not present in my mind before, and thus I could not believe anything about it.

    About the Earth revolving around the Sun, I'm sorry to tell you that it is a belief based on faith for most of us (and all of us, speaking very strictly, since we cannot know for sure whether or not what we perceive is somewhat close to reality; that is pointless to say though, so we should probably stick to saying most of us). This belief is based on the faith in the people who told us that the Earth revolved around the Sun and on the belief all of this isn't just a giant conspiracy. The only people who have evidence are those who calculated it themselves. The rest only believe. Of course, it's a very solid and justified believe that looks like it's 99.999999999 % true, but it's a belief nonetheless. Saying the Earth is flat also is a belief in a pretty similar way (faith in those who told you that it's flat); you can even say there's evidence that the Earth is flat: look outside, is the Earth turning upside down at some point?? Duh! The thing is, those two beliefs are not equal because the credibility of the elements we have faith in to believe the Earth revolves around the Sun and the credibility of elements we have faith in to believe the Earth is flat is very different. Same goes for almost every belief.
    I agree with Oberon's last post (#83). Your definition of belief seems consistent, it just seems a bit nebulous due to its breadth. It appears to include "literally every statement we cannot know for certain is true". It also doesn't really seem to align much with how people use the word informally. I'd be more interested to know what you don't define to be based in belief lol. Would mathematical statements also be belief?

    Maybe we'd benefit from different terminology, but not believing in an abrahamic god and "disbelieving" in an abrahamic god are clearly not on the same level in terms of number of assumptions you need to make about reality and how you perceive / interact with reality. Hence, one requires a hell of a lot more "belief". For example, even if you reject the existence of an abrahamic god, you can just believe in some other kind of supernatural being that forces you to live in a certain way or validates your existence by some other contrivances. In that sense, nonbelief includes realities very similar to realities with an abrahamic god, as well as ones that make far less assumptions about reality. On the other hand, believing in an abrahamic god necessitates many unfalsifiable things that directly impact how you perceive and interact with the world. You will have a much more clearly defined and restricted view of reality.
  14. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    If you're not aware of something (such as in your example where religion does not exist, even though that world is utterly impossible since religion is an answer to questions humans ask themselves), then you can't believe in anything because it's simply not in your mind. Stone Age people did not believe Alpha Centauri existed, nor did they believe it didn't, for they simply were not aware of the possibility of its existence (as far as I know). But as soon as you are aware that something is possibly existent and take a position on whether it exists in reality or not, you believe that it exists or that it does not.

    "I do not believe in any god" is not a belief, it's a statement of nonbelief, indeed. But that falls under agnostic atheism, as you're leaving the existence of a god undetermined. Gnostic atheism is the statement, the certainty that there is no god. And that is a belief.

    Right. "I know what happens when you die!" = belief. Is it a religious belief? No. But it certainly is a belief, much like believing the Earth revolves around the Sun.
    If belief is merely predicated on the awareness of a concept and a firm stance about it, can I make you believe more things by mentioning gibberish constructs? Lava lamps with wings, trees that bear playstations, flying sphagetti monster, etc. You presumably inwardly dismiss these things as absurd at their very mention, yet I don't think it's reasonable to suggest I've induced more beliefs within you, even if those constructs may exist somewhere.
  15. Replies
    137
    Views
    2,511

    ►►Re: Ye atheists by name, lend an ear, lend an ear◄◄

    Christianity and Islam have done much more for the world than "making people happier" in some vague sense. Churches and mosques have functioned as critical community centres for like, forever. And they have also been used as places to politically organise against repressive regimes.

    But that doesn't make Aamirus wrong either. They're also homophobic as fuck, and uniquely homophobic. Many societies and civilizations, while not great, had their own nuanced takes on human sexuality before empires of christian and muslim denomination came along and effectively shoved their perspectives down their throat. Or at least, that's what I've gathered from my limited understanding.

    I don't really see the value in conversations about whether these religions are "good" or "bad" for the world, because I don't know how you could possibly go about imagining what a world without these religions would look like. And it's totally out of our hands when or even if these religions will die out. I imagine these conversations would be more productive and less draining if the premise of discussion was less vague and ambitious. Maybe ask instead how religion X affects factor Y in place and time Z.
  16. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Aamirus is a liar

    Thread Author:CuteTheCutie

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    50
    Views
    2,035

    ►►Re: Aamirus is a liar◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Not only on the Internet: in real life as well. And usually I come to the conclusion that I’m being unreasonable
    Well maybe you walked away from some of those encounters with the wrong conclusion. If someone is saying things and intentionally disregarding your feelings or even deliberately trying to hurt you then it's totally normal to get angry or "offended". They're the asshole, not you. You deserve respect from other people and should hold other people to a higher standard, otherwise you're just going to end up repressing your emotions.
  17. Replies
    42
    Views
    757

    ►►Re: Should Honest Men, reveal their roles to Jailor?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    have you considered having a brief copy-paste explanation of your strategy ready for everyone who jails you? I am certain that'd make everyone totally content with your strategy! An honest man values transparency, after all.
    or you could just copy-paste a link to this thread. If they are truly worthy of you they'll be able to read it in <30 seconds, including lag's math.
  18. Replies
    42
    Views
    757

    ►►Re: Should Honest Men, reveal their roles to Jailor?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by ZZorange View Post
    Guys the thread is titled should Honest Men reveal their roles. Literally everyone who has posted here is a known liar and therefore the thread doesn't apply to them. Hence the line at the end

    "Now of course if you're a regular player of Mafia who is able to lie, this thread does not apply to you. As you can claim town as evil."

    However this does let me know who read the full post so,

    Props to LagAttack for reading the whole post!

    However LagAttack obviously mathmatically claiming will result in less failorage but it'll be a constant. With the not claim strategy first off it's the best strategy against kidnapper scum, which is what you want as a townie, because fuck the mafia. "Eat a dick kidnapper" is the best response. Also the not claiming strategy has the potential to become better overtime, as opposed to claiming which as stated stays constant.

    I don't have to be a rocket surgeon to say that Mafia does not have many new players, and the few casual players it has will learn overtime to not jail a man who is Town 94% of his games.

    Keep in mind during all of this we are ignoring any spite jailors in the equation because spite jailors will execute regardless of role as most spite jailors are long timers who know that they are jailing someone who is 94% town but they execute anyway because they hate said player.

    Overtime given enough samples the pool of failors will gradually shrink with the no claim strategy and become the optimal strategy. Which I think is something you missed in your initial evaluation LagAttack the future prospects of the strategy.
    hmmm

    consider the highly theoretical possibility certain strategies net you more spite jailors. This can make a strategy bad even if on paper perfectly informed players never choose to imprison you unless they're kidnapper or have information / evidence that specifically suggests you're scum.

    also, I think lag's math not only implies more failorage, but that the increased failorage actually offsets the gain in avoided kidnapper executions.

    have you considered having a brief copy-paste explanation of your strategy ready for everyone who jails you? I am certain that'd make everyone totally content with your strategy! An honest man values transparency, after all.
  19. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:''Living''

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    14
    Views
    779

    ►►Re: ''Living''◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    This thread is honestly depressing...

    If life has no goal because there's no God or any preprogrammed goal, can't we just make whatever we want out of it, though? If there's no "higher cause", then let's make the Earth a place where people can live well and let's just have fun. If life has no inherent meaning, it means we're basically in a sandbox, and it's actually not bad at all.
    +1. And the quote in #2 uses very bizarre reasoning. Noone would try to argue minecraft "lacks intrinsic value" because standing still doing absolutely nothing in the game and simply "having it run" brings no pleasure. I'm not a fan of pessimism for the sake of it when there's enough things to cry about in real life without farfetched mental gymnastics
  20. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Lottocracy

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    26
    Views
    541

    ►►Re: Lottocracy◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I just noticed something I missed the first time me watching that video.

    You can just look at what some people believe, then come up with reasons why they're right - and they'll love it. Politics. You can become a leader not by leading but by following the consensus.

    Likewise, one might think that the internet can give a person as many different perspectives as never before in the history of humankind and that would make them smarter - right?
    Wrong. It's easier than ever before to escape from accountability by finding places where everyone believes the same as you. People look for lone reasoners who can defend their intuitions for them. The reasons they give don’t have to be good just good enough so that can feel like justification exists.

    The whole purpose of reasoning.


    Everything we know about the credibility of lone reasoners suggests that leaders and those in charge everywhere should be held accountable by as many different perspectives as possible.

    The more I think about it the more I feel like our world is governed by confirmation bias. I felt similar before and still am about cognitive dissonance. It's the same thing - just opposite.
    But the feeling about cognitive dissonance was just "ok, I guess it's really hard for humans to change opinions".
    Now the feeling is the whole social structure of the world is based on people confirmation biasing because humans are so stupid that idk how could we ever think that we're intelligent.
    Yeah, it kinda is built on confirmation bias. The thing with everyone communicating and influencing eachother is everyone's opinions get gradually pulled closer together as they "settle around a mean average" and after a while people are just preaching to the choir. You end up with a massive lack of diversity of thought. Imagine a world where everyone is semi-isolated and forced to develop opinions for themselves. Opinions would probably be much less developed and cohesive in most people but there would be much greater variation. Even think about hundreds of years ago when different cultures had massively different attitudes from one another compared to today where everything is getting globalized and everyone is inundated with just a handful of the same cultural perspectives.

    Even if people "fixed" social media to try and stop big tech "personalizing" your feed to only show you things that validate your worldview, the fundamental issue that this level of communication and interaction kills diversity would still remain. It's purely anecdotal, but the opinions younger people possess tend to be more coherent and conforming to a particular ideology rather than the erratic mishmash of random, personal ideas I often seem to get when talking to older people. It's ironic because you'd expect communication to create more ideas, and it definitely has that potential. But I think in practice it just seems to breed conformity as the most marketable ideas rise to the top and consume the others.

    From that point of view, the current state of human thought where you appear to have all thought collapsing into a few ideologies whose borders are becoming increasingly pronounced and distant from one another might have been kind of inevitable.

    That's a wildly anecdotal and whimsical take, and I don't even know whether this is a cohesive reply to what you wrote. I apologize if it isn't ^^.
  21. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Song Request

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    76
    Views
    2,644

    ►►Re: Song Request◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    If he came to me we could negotiate a starting price. I don't travel for work.
    I don't know if he could come all the way to you... that would require a lot of pelvic force!

    I'll see myself out
  22. Replies
    23
    Views
    758

    ►►Re: Bitcoin is fucking dumb and useless◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    I meant withdraw like walk into the bank and say I want all of this in cash right now. Payments are different because they are also just promises. The store doesn’t actually get your money right away, they are getting a promise from your financial institution that it will give them the money. That’s why on your statement the charges will just show as pending for a couple days before changing to complete
    the more you know. If I may ask a couple more questions:

    So I'm under the impression they (the recipient bank account) is waiting for the paying bank to make good on the promise and actually transfer the money and demonstrate they have it. But if a bank is transferring internally shouldn't they know they have the money anyway? Why should there be any delay when the bank is essentially giving money to itself?

    What would happen if I paid for something and the bank found out after the fact they can't provide the money. Would my purchase be nullified? Would I owe the vendor or would my bank? And what happens if the money changes several hands before it's confirmed it doesn't exist? I guess this is hopefully not something we'd have to worry about, but a bank could fail to make a payment purely because another bank failed to make good on its transfers to the first bank, and it isn't clear to me how the "blame" is apportioned.

    erm sorry for asking you to basically teach me these things. If you could at least recommend somewhere I can learn this I'd appreciate that lol.

    p;edit I probably should have put this in a pm instead my bad
  23. Replies
    9
    Views
    254

    ►►Re: do you guys like spicy pepper◄◄

    I was at a mate's house when he asked me if I want chocolate. After hearing me reply "yes", he takes out this envelope under a pile of files and hands it to me. There's a single chocolate piece in it. I like chocolate, so I put that shit right in my mouth without hesitation. But as I start to chew it's the most bitter shit I've ever tasted. I'm about to ask "bro is this dark?" when suddenly my mouth sets on fucking fire. I dash to the sink and put the tap on max. I need to put as much water in my body as possible. I hear the dude laughing like a psychopath behind me while he tells me the shit had carolina reapers in it, which is supposed to be one of the spiciest peppers in the world or something. He hands me this 2L (3.5 pints) bottle of milk with a glass and in like 1 min I've finished the whole fucking bottle. And I'm a skinny ass guy. My stomach is fucking killing me at this point and I lie on his sofa and curl up there saying nothing for like the next 20 minutes. The water and the milk did jackshit. He's like "sorry dude it only bothered me for 5 mins lmao". Fucking brown people. After an hour I've finally fully recovered. I'm worn out like I just did intensive exercise for 2 hours. But the real battle didn't happen until 6 hours later. Anyway, I think I just needed to get this off my chest.

    yeah fuck spicy peppers
  24. Replies
    23
    Views
    758

    ►►Re: Bitcoin is fucking dumb and useless◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    No it’s not. Neither are EU transfers instant. For convenience the money may show in your account but it’s not actually “settled” yet. If you sent $10k to your wife rn and then she tried to withdraw all the money from her account, the bank would reject the withdrawal.
    Really? Excuse my ignorance, but why doesn't that apply to payments too? I've transferred money to others and they've been able to pay right away, even if they are not permitted any kind of overdraft

    p;edit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster_Payments_Service
  25. Replies
    23
    Views
    758

    ►►Re: Bitcoin is fucking dumb and useless◄◄

    restricting it to "TODAY" is very unfair, because it prevents us from bringing up bullshit idealistic hypotheticals that may never happen. I demand you rescind this condition at once!
  26. Replies
    23
    Views
    758

    ►►Re: Bitcoin is fucking dumb and useless◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    The saddest thing is that allowing people to buy drugs online is probably the only good thing bitcoin has done for society because it makes it so you don't have to risk getting shot in a parking lot or having your heroin spiked with lethal doses of fentanyl.
    that is a HUGE plus, tbf.
  27. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Nerves

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    12
    Views
    316

    ►►Re: Nerves◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Everyone is fine. I have a second son. No one is dead yet
    Congratulations my guy!!!
  28. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Wealth and Power

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    18
    Views
    506

    ►►Re: Wealth and Power◄◄

    i get trigged by how they just get bailed out whenever they cock up and just get richer lol. That's when the system feels most... incestuous... I guess. unpopular politicians get propped up and "bailed out" by the support of bigwigs, who in turn get propped up by those unpopular polticians. It's like they cover for eachother's utter lack of talent or vision.
  29. Forum:Puzzles and Other Forum Games

    Thread:Possible

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    16
    Views
    835

    ►►Re: Possible◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    The following sentence is true.
    The previous sentence is false.
    The following statement is true.
    The following statement is true.
    The following statement is false.
    The following statement is true.
    The following statement is true
    The following statement is false.
    The following statement is true.
    The first statement is false.
  30. Forum:Puzzles and Other Forum Games

    Thread:Possible

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    16
    Views
    835

    ►►Re: Possible◄◄

    pfft, that's nothing!

    "this statement is a lie" <--- True or false?
  31. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:The future "racism"

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    129
    Views
    5,103

    ►►Re: The future "racism"◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    My point is that the way we classify mental disorders as distinct form eachother doesn't necessarily come from any sort of shared underlying biological causes, or even that they necessarily always present in the same way, but in ways that benefit treatment. What we call "schizophrenia" may well be a bunch of different disorders with different genetic and environmental causes that happen to look the same, we don't really know yet. That different treatments work or don't work depending on the patient seems to partially support this, anyway.

    Culture and context also plays a big role. I read some literature once (can't find it right now) that suggested that the reason autism rates are so low in Africa is partially because the traits of autism aren't as much of a hindrance in the context of African society and culture, so they don't really recognize them as disordered. Schizophrenia in non-western countries is also not as much of a burden because, for whatever reason, people with schizophrenia in eastern cultures who hear voices tend to hear those voices saying positive things rather than negative things as in western cultures, which probably does good for their overall wellbeing and mental state.

    The same logic applies to the use of categorical vs dimensional classification. I guess that psychology as a whole is finding that dimensional classification is more useful than categorical, leading to decisions such as collapsing autism and aspergers into the autism spectrum.

    My overall point is that the classification of mental illness is quite fuzzy and nobody can definitively say anything on topics like whether everyone is on the autism spectrum or not. Clinically, Oberon is right: because these classifications are rather binary, neurotypical people are not on the autism spectrum. In the real world, and biologically, we don't really know.
    Is it possible that many or even most people who have "disorders" are people who's brain would work perfectly fine in a primitive hunter-gatherer society but whose brain happens to clash with our modern complicated society? I mean, I'm not sure how hearing voices could be anywhere near as distressing if we didn't have such a sophisticated language that could say such deep shit. At worst you'd just hear negative intonations if you only had a primitive notion of language. I wonder if anyone's tried to observe isolated tribes and find the "mentally ill tribespeople".
  32. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:The future "racism"

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    129
    Views
    5,103

    ►►Re: The future "racism"◄◄

    Like, okay that friend I mentioned clearly did have the "autistic tantrums" where he'd just go utterly apeshit over something absurd and unreasonable, but it wasn't like that was who he was, 24/7. Get me? XD. And as he aged he got a lot better at controlling it. He was the only one I knew to have "tantrums", but perhaps they're more common than I know, or I didn't know some of the others well enough to see that happen.
  33. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:The future "racism"

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    129
    Views
    5,103

    ►►Re: The future "racism"◄◄

    I've known maybe 5 or 6 people with autism over my life, as friends. One was like a stereotypical sheldon cooper, a couple were ridiculously weird, a couple were just nervous with a few weird social ticks, and the last who I know quite well was all over the place in school but with age has gotten much better at social interaction, to the point where you wouldn't have guessed he was autistic, unless maybe you got to know him for a while. From an anecdotal perspective, it doesn't just seem like a spectrum - it looks like it actually manifests in different ways from person to person. I can't possibly imagine how you would define such a thing as a binary, because trying to imagine some definitive link between those people beyond being "kinda awkward" is very difficult. And a lot of "kinda awkward" people aren't autistic at all.
  34. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Lottocracy

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    26
    Views
    541

    ►►Re: Lottocracy◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Would you say it isn't?
    Well, the video suggests people are programmed to reach strong decisions in groups rather than alone, and that our reasoning skills are designed to be shared with and contribute to other's thought process rather than built up in isolation. He gives the famous thing where everyone guesses how many jelly beans are in a jar and even though most people are wildly out the average is shockingly close. It sure as hell isn't a point of view I'm qualified to comment on, but it's certainly a very romantic point of view ^^.

    I can at least say that even though people's abstract deductive reasoning skills are naturally very weak, they can through education become much stronger. If you have a certain kind of education the question he asked about the marriage and whatever is just a trivial deduction, but it's not shameful to get it wrong, either. You just gotta do a couple courses on deductive logic or something. So I don't necessarily view people as "dumb".
  35. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Lottocracy

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    26
    Views
    541

    ►►Re: Lottocracy◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    No, they didn't.

    This is probably not a very smart question, but could you give an example of what you mean?
    I googled "how do governments work together" - and I only found explanations of how federal, state and local governments work together.

    I think this could be a big problem for Europe though because of the European Union.
    But I don't think it's that much of an issue for the United States since the US is basically one big country.

    When you say governments of different countries working together, I'm uneducated enough to not know what you mean tbh.
    Other than EU and military alliance like NATO ofc.
    Erm, I think it's quite a legitimate question. I presume he's thinking of the paris climate agreeement, npt, ats, shit like that. And then trade agreements between countries and negotiated peace deals like the iran nuclear deal.

    In all fairness, there's nothing to stop morons getting elected and ripping that shit up in a democracy, evidently XD
  36. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Lottocracy

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    26
    Views
    541

    ►►Re: Lottocracy◄◄

    The way you talk about it suggests you view it as a system born out of desperation or cynicism, but the video itself seems to argue that it is a natural system that optimizes our collective problem solving. The video doesn't seem to see people's ability to reason as weak necessarily, either.

    The analogy with the jury is interesting and probably gives some clues to what challenges may face a real lottocracy. In our world, violent groups with the power to threaten ordinary powerless people with no profile can sway the decision making of juries. That would probably exist in a lottocracy too. These people presumably go back to being ordinary once they leave their post, and will just get some hollow promises of protection from the police.

    It might be difficult for decisions made under a lottocracy to receive the same acceptance of legitimacy. By the mere act of voting, people "consent" to the political system in some sense - even when their candidate doesn't win. In countries where faith in the system is truly abysmal, barely anyone votes. In a lottocracy, there is no continually renewed show of implicit approval, and rioters can turn around and say "I was never asked about that!".
  37. Replies
    8
    Views
    602

    ►►Re: Did you notice the duck in yzb's profile picture◄◄

    now I think about it it's already been over a year... Time really flies
  38. Replies
    8
    Views
    602

    ►►Re: Did you notice the duck in yzb's profile picture◄◄

    there was a game I got dunked on by one of blink's alts so hard (luckyducky) that frinckles edited a duck into my toilet and so I've made it my DP for a bit XD
  39. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Determinism vs Free Will

    Thread Author:Oberon

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    9
    Views
    216

    ►►Re: Determinism vs Free Will◄◄

    I am inclined to view them both as illusions created by the way we experience things. But even if they aren't, I think people should be able to at least acknowledge that neither are necessarily true, and that it's fascinating that human beings produce these concepts so naturally without knowing whether they're true... it's so natural for us to take their truth for granted.

    It's kinda like how people can see jagged rocks and come up with notions of squares and rectangles, regardless of whether perfect squares or rectangles actually exist anywhere. Somehow it just seems natural to assume these things exist as well defined concepts that we can talk about. It's an example of people's flawed perception of an impure reality giving birth to pure concepts and it's fascinating that people do that so naturally.

    I assume whether these assumptions seem natural to us can be heavily influenced by our environment. Perhaps if you live in an erratic, chaotic environment the notion of determinism feels more alien. Like, the old testament god is super impulsive and irrational compared to the new testament god or the portrayal of god in the Qu'ran. Maybe that reflects the fact people's understanding of the world developed and the world seemed more orderly and systematic than it did to second temple jews, and that informed their view of how a god must function.
  40. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Determinism vs Free Will

    Thread Author:Oberon

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    9
    Views
    216

    ►►Re: Determinism vs Free Will◄◄

    I agree that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but they could also both be false. You could be living in a universe governed by random phenomena and also have no true control over your actions :P
  41. Replies
    1,742
    Views
    38,015

    ►►Re: S-FM Eternal Conflict (Off Queue Game Ongoing)◄◄

    ggwp. I'd also like to give my thanks to AIVION, who showed some awesome levels of commitment thru the day 1 shitfest and stuck with it for months to the very end
  42. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Gay or Straight?

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    13
    Views
    474

    ►►Re: Gay or Straight?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    The song appears to be an exploration of her relationship with a dude, some "bad boy". However, when she lists his characteristics in the first half of the chorus against her characteristics in the second half of the chorus, it becomes clear her characteristics have the potential to do far more serious damage to the dude, the people he loves, and his relationships with them - whereas his characteristics are largely just vain, looking tough.

    Hence, she concludes "he may be a bad boy, but I'm obviously the bad guy, duh". The usage of the term "guy" is normally strictly for men, but it is very rarely used for either gender. Though, it's possible she is intentionally masculinizing herself to emphasize how "dangerous" she is.
    so yeah, by that reading it doesn't seem gay at all
  43. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Gay or Straight?

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    13
    Views
    474

    ►►Re: Gay or Straight?◄◄

    The song appears to be an exploration of her relationship with a dude, some "bad boy". However, when she lists his characteristics in the first half of the chorus against her characteristics in the second half of the chorus, it becomes clear her characteristics have the potential to do far more serious damage to the dude, the people he loves, and his relationships with them - whereas his characteristics are largely just vain, looking tough.

    Hence, she concludes "he may be a bad boy, but I'm obviously the bad guy, duh". The usage of the term "guy" is normally strictly for men, but it is very rarely used for either gender. Though, it's possible she is intentionally masculinizing herself to emphasize how "dangerous" she is.
  44. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:Website activity throughout the year

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    23
    Views
    2,498

    ►►Re: Website activity throughout the year◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    HERESY

    PVZ IS MY WORST MATCHUP
    have you located the 'a' button on your keyboard? It is very useful for protoss I find. In fact, I like to take out all the keys aside 'a' and 'f1' so I don't get confused
  45. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:Website activity throughout the year

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    23
    Views
    2,498

    ►►Re: Website activity throughout the year◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Frinckles View Post
    I prefer Zerg
    spawn... more... OVERLORDS!!!
  46. Replies
    20
    Views
    597

    ►►Re: The line between obsession and dedication◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I imagine it's person dependant wether or not what you do when you procrastinate is an obsession.
    I could procrastinate by just going for a walk and that's hardly an obsession. But for a disciplined person - it probably takes an obsession to make them procrastinate.
    ARGH, I'M JUST DESCRIBING LAZINESS

    goddammit! XD
  47. Replies
    20
    Views
    597

    ►►Re: The line between obsession and dedication◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    I am curious though. Does any one else have this 'problem' or am I actually as abnormal as I think I am about it?
    Err, maybe. I was planning to be productive this friday, then I ended up walking for 3 hours after reading the definition of a turing machine, trying to think about how one would make something so rudimentary-looking do more sophisticated things. I seem to have a habit of being interested in everything except the thing I should be interested in right now. Right before major exams I'd always end up learning a bunch of unrelated things, and projects I work on get unrealistically ambitious unless I keep kicking myself to chill out (which I often fail to do, honestly). I think I also use obsession as an escape, to a degree. I like to distract myself with a philosophical question or the strategies in a board game if I don't know how to address my feelings. Sometimes for weeks. Is it like that? Or am I describing something different?

    And more pressingly, would you even find solace in having that kind of connection with a toiletman? Maybe someone more normal will be able to validate your experience =P
  48. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Ultra nerdy question

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    8
    Views
    366

    ►►Re: Ultra nerdy question◄◄

    I thought programmers were into their binary? Binary is arguably the simplest and purest positional system, and computationally the simplest to describe addition and multiplication. 8 is a power of 2. When working with a particular base, its powers become important because they behave very simply in the given base. i.e. 10, 100, 1000 in base 10.
  49. Replies
    10
    Views
    259

    ►►Re: Frost Giant Studios vs Dreamhaven◄◄

    I don't know, but god I hope frost giant succeeds. Even if I've gotta wait 5 years or more, I really wanna see the RTS genre get some new life on the level of StarCraft or Age of Empires.
  50. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Dislikes

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:yzb25

    Replies
    14
    Views
    412

    ►►Re: Dislikes◄◄

    how did I become the budget mattzed of the site lmao T_T
Results 1 to 50 of 2000
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4