Search Results - SC2 Mafia
Register

Search:

Type: Posts; User: Helz

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 0.08 seconds.

  1. Replies
    27
    Views
    324

    ►►Re: What appeals to you about parasocial interaction?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by theoneceko View Post
    You can definitely talk about a lot of things on the Internet that you normally can't in the real world.
    This is probably the thing I like the most. I can sort through my thoughts on touchy issues without harming personal or professional relationships. I have the same conversations in real life but its always nice to have those conversations after other people have challenged my views and made me less ignorant. Looking back at some of the positions I took over the years I can only laugh at myself sometimes. I also like how people are more comfortable being open with parts of themselves they wouldn't in real life. The community in general is very accepting and open minded for the most part.

    On the other side I very much dislike a certain aspect of the 'virtue signaling' and Social Justice Warriors who seem to be looking for a soap box they can be crappy to other people from. Then theres the reaction baiting and 'shock humor' attempts by unimaginative trolls that are pretty lame..
  2. Replies
    14
    Views
    167

    ►►Re: Sensitization vs Desensitization◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    @Helz
    This might be me biased because I'm good at being cold, distanced and not caring whenever it'd save me good amount of energy.

    But I feel like what you described in your first paragraph is more unique to you than you think; because most people aren't Enneagram 1 type.

    As bad as that personality typing stuff is, I think there's truth enough to them to take something out of it. As in this case how people [Enneagrams 1 and 5] have different reactions to stuff like this.

    I must say though, this post felt unusually personal from you. Like most everything's based on that first paragraph. Usually you take the more distanced/objective approach.
    I appreciate the feedback. I will have to give it some thought although my personal experience working with veterans leads me to the belief that what I described is pretty common. To be fair though, my experience is with a specific group of people..

    Its a pretty personal subject to me and something that consumes the larger portion of my life. I am not sure how capable I am of being objective on the subject.
  3. Replies
    27
    Views
    324

    ►►Re: What appeals to you about parasocial interaction?◄◄

    If your talking about what Oops just mentioned I personally don't. If someone makes cool content I thank them for it and such but I don't get attached and dislike when my thoughts move towards thinking about how they may think about me. It all feels so wrong to me..
  4. Replies
    14
    Views
    167

    ►►Re: Sensitization vs Desensitization◄◄

    Over the years I have kinda been both sensitized and desensitized to suicide. I have involved myself a good bit with veterans programs and it took me a quite a while to not blame myself if one I was close to took their life. A part of that was because I had too strong of an 'internal lotus of control' and would tell myself "I should have noticed/said/done" whatever and they wouldnt be dead if I had. The issue that runs into is that it creates a manufactured emotion that never goes away. The natural emotion is to feel sad but it fades with time while the manufactured emotions never go away because they are created from a belief. So long as that belief exists you will keep feeling that emotion (which is usually something I have found exists in one form or another with people who have chronic depression.)

    Before I understood and addressed those thought processes I became hyper sensitive to suicide. Now I acknowledge they are an adult and they will do what they want with their life. I also have the somewhat questionable belief that a basic right as a living entity is to do what you want with your life. I think suicide is a very selfish decision in most circumstances but I disagree with forcing people to live if their quality of life is unacceptable to them. (Theres a lot of 'buts' in my belief there I wont go into but yeah.)

    I am also less sensitive to people who talk about taking their life quite often. In my experience the ones that talk about it dont do it. Its usually the ones you knew were in a rough spot but never said anything you end up hearing they offed themselves. For a good chunk of my life I had big problems structuring my interactions and fell into co-dependent bullshit while enabling people more than helping them. I was incapable of recognizing that some people voice their pain to leverage your empathy and create co-dependent relationships. The only way to actually help someone is to create opportunity for them to help themselves.

    There are some specific patterns that I am very sensitive to that point to someone being at risk. Usually they have substantial problems in Legal issues, financial issues, and personal relationships. Throw in a helping of substance abuse and you have yourself a person you should worry about. Or if they start giving away items of value (especially ones of extreme sentimental value like medals or heirlooms.)

    To the subject I am guessing people become more sensitive because its natural to blame yourself when someone close to you takes their life and there is very little information out there on actually addressing the damaging cognitive structures that creates. Dealing with suicide in various forms has been a big part of my life over the last 10 years and it took me until about 2 years ago to get to this point but I am not sure if I could say if I am overall more or less sensitive. A part of me wonders if I am just much colder given how many conversations I have had with people basically telling them how I enjoyed having them in my life if I dont get to see them again but the pain is different than it once was.

    I do like how accepting the FM community is although I do feel some forums take it a bit far. Like ThroneOfLies refers to a lynch as a 'Hug' which kinda makes me roll my eyes but at the same time if the word genuinely offends someone although I think they should develop some thicker skin it doesnt hurt to be courteous so I would never push against it.

    Anyways, maybe some bits of this will help people understand the processes they are creating in their head without recognizing it. Blaming yourself for someone's death is extremely dangerous in many respects and I feel its unfortunate how little our society actually enables people to deal with the cognitive functions.
  5. Replies
    52
    Views
    763

    ►►Re: HMOP's Daily Post Until ZZOrange Is Banned Thread◄◄

    We should start a betting pool on how many consecutive days he can keep this up : )
  6. Replies
    23
    Views
    481

    ►►Re: Who is the most corrupt MOD. Need help finding out.◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    Exactly. We're a society based on structure and trust. If someone says "goodbye", then they should be removed and the admins have an obligation to ensure those people honour their word. Imagine a society without social structure and trust. People will be saying anything they want with no consequences. This is how great evils like MLMs and con-artists come about.
    I am actually going to use this sometime. If someone says bye and does not leave it will be worth a snicker to call them a liar.
  7. Forum:Forum Mafia Discussion

    Thread:Ramblings on improving as a player

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    8
    Views
    171

    ►►Re: Ramblings on improving as a player◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I imagine there's maybe 1 in 100 people for whom improving is enough important to re-read the game for it. On the other hand, there's some for whom the games are important enough to re-read it after flips. Į\_(„ÉĄ)_/Į
    I guess that's nearly the same?


    There's something that I don't quite understand.
    In other strategy games, let's say StarCraft, watching your own replays do you jack shit for learning how to play better. You have to either watch replays of better players or have better players watch yours.
    Why is it so different in FM?

    The only other game I know where analyzing your own games is efficient and effective - it's Chess. But only under the condition that you spend an abysmal amount of time analyzing it. And even then you have to check it afterwards with a computer or a better player.

    With that in mind, there is or was actually one extremely good player who offers/-ed help in that regard:
    https://forum.mafia451.com/t/evaluat...llibereth/4797
    Basic rundown of how he offered to help:
    -you play a game. during the midst of it you regularly send him your reads and your reasonings for it.
    -after the game is over, he gives his input on those reads or the lack of them.
    Actually watching your replays is a huge part of improving in Starcraft. People also pay great players to watch and critique their play. WinterGaming is a GM thats popular on Twitch who will do it live for a cost (although you should have thick skin because he will dunk on you in the process.)

    Even if you don't want to re-read the whole thing you could simply iso yourself or the scum players to see what you missed. I get what your saying that it takes a huge effort to do so and probably means 2-6 hours of reading but for try-hards who easily dump 25-50 hours of effort into a game its not such a cost. You did bring up an interesting point that there could be strong value in reading through high level games.

    I have seen that before. Someone poked me about it when I was talking about the overlying concept for what I have been working on. The main difference is I would like to provide players with a way for them to progress themselves while that person seems to charge for them to help you.

    The other side I want to ramble about down the road is notes but thats a topic for another day
  8. Forum:Forum Mafia Discussion

    Thread:Ramblings on improving as a player

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    8
    Views
    171

    ►►Ramblings on improving as a player◄◄

    In general player improvement is a self-maximizing process. Effort is taken until the point the objective is achieved and 'improvement' is done through the lens of extensive Memory Distortions https://courses.lumenlearning.com/bo...y-distortions/ creating massive bias in how a player sees what they did well/poorly. Then players tell themselves something, usuially basic like 'I shouldn't fall for X next game', 'I knew I was right here and should use that tell more' or at worst 'Other players should learn to listen to me next time.' Then the next game gets played with these unfounded lessons built from biased information.

    I personally feel this is terrible and the thing that cripples most players growth. This leads me into why I push for re-reading games. In doing so you will see your reads as they unfold. What you got right and what you got wrong without memory bias. You also will be able to see what you did that resulted in other players reading you without the bias of questioning if they were scum painting you as well as the things other players did that you should have picked up on.

    With that information gathered without the unavoidable lens of memory distortions you can draw more objective conclusions about what you did well, what you did poorly, and what you should do different in the future. This also enables you to target what you did poorly so you know what to focus on for improvement (because the first step to solving a problem is identifying the problem.)

    Then next game you play you have some ability to measure your improvement establishing a recursive process for player growth that will be far more effective than blundering through games and teaching yourself bad habits along the way.

    In my opinion anyways : )
  9. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Marfia and Werewolf in VRChat

    Thread Author:Deantwo

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    14
    Views
    628

    ►►Re: Marfia and Werewolf in VRChat◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by WrathCyber View Post
    You're not wrong. I also prefer the anonymity aspect of mafia that we have going on for text-based games. It offers less bias towards someone if you don't know who they are.
    Not to mention it breaks a lot of the meta dependence which I personally find one of the 'less fun' aspects of mafia. Once you get a hard tell on someone it kinda ruins playing with them for the rest of forever.
  10. Replies
    37
    Views
    741

    [Misc. Suggestion] ►►Re: Petition to Nerf Prefer/Blacklist◄◄

    I wish to express that expressing expression reflects the reflection of a group being able to reflect on norms and express their minds.

    Because that holds value
  11. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Guess Who I Am?

    Thread Author:TheUnknown

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    50
    Views
    3,577

    ►►Re: Guess Who I Am?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
    just saw this. I hope you are okay frog, haven't heard from you in a while.
    He was active on MU if you want to get ahold of him last I played there

    Reading this I came across my own post
    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    It was before my time and I didn't know the history. But that is a pretty funny observation. Maybe someday with the whole "hindsight 2020" we could look at some previous decisions.. Thats way over my head but it could be productive.
    How the fuck was 'Hindsight 2020' not some kinda meme in 2020? Like.. We totally fucked that up somehow. There should have been jokes for days!
  12. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:CPI

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    26
    Views
    1,051

    ►►Re: CPI◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Lol you live in rabbit holes.
    This is very true. For every one of them I climb out of I find 5 more I want to dive down >.<
  13. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:CPI

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    26
    Views
    1,051

    ►►Re: CPI◄◄

    I am starting to feel slightly less ignorant on this subject although its dragging me down a rabbit hole
  14. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    Yes, I have a huge problem with this. In your forum title, you claim to be a "Brofessor of Nonsense", which is obviously a portmanteau word of "bro" and "professor", implying higher education. As a man with two degrees, I am also inclined to higher education qualities as well. Therefore, I can surmise that you would also respect the use of the English language used in a professional manner. It's very disappointing to see a man claiming to be a "professor", implicitly, yet disregard a very important distinguishing trait that separates those native to English to those who aren't native when communicating with other intellectuals.

    Therefore, because of this, I'm very inclined to point out to you your mistake. If you go on perpetuating the use of "your" when it's supposed to be "you're", you're further degrading the use and cultural history of contractions that dates back all the back to the UK in the 17th century where they began as informal writing that became assimilated into everyday business speak. Therefore, I cannot condone this anti-intellectualism you have against English contractions.

    Also, the reason why I'm explaining this in great length to you is because I'm a sad, sad man who just wants a friend and you seem to be conveniently available since both you and I have nothing planned this Friday night. Do you want to be my friend?
    Lol. Sure.

    I can confirm I have not (and can not) give rep or send reputation messages.

    I am not sure if we will be able to come to common ground on the use of 'proper English.' I dislike that there is a declared 'proper' use at all and I push against it. The English language is terrible as far as languages go but I have very little respect for the written technicalities simply because they are self perpetuated nonsense with no functional purpose. Declaring multiple versions of your is stupid in my opinion. The objective of a language is to convey information and nit-picking on the symbols used to do so just does not make a person more capable. I feel like the existence of such 'rules' is worthless and pushing to enforce them makes little sense in a scholastic environment; much less so in chat rooms and video game forums. This is probably just a point we will have to agree to disagree on and I personally advocate for the destruction of the thought process you are pushing making our beliefs diametrically opposed..
  15. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    You're*

    Again, this is the second time I've corrected you. Time for you to go back to grade 3 again.
    The 2nd time you have brought arbitrary colloquial grammar into a forum dedicated to a mod for a video game? Oh dear. Please let me take this more seriously.
  16. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    No clue what your asking for here but we can have a conversation if you have something real to say.

    I honestly think your just some trolling smuf though and probably won't take you seriously until you give me a reason to believe otherwise. (and yes, this is me baiting you to troll more so I can snicker at your attempt to pretend your a real boy and not a smurf)
  17. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    Thanks for the rep comment, Mr. Helz with your 0 rep power and over 6000 posts in 8 years
    Took me a second to think about it. Some level of trolling has to be happening given this dude would have 0 understanding of the rep system or my status as the eternal cuck. On top of that I do not think I have given a rep comment to anyone in the past 2 or 3 years.

    Just saying.. Trolling trolls to troll is something.
  18. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    Get help, bro. Maybe you should start a "Help Helz Off Alcohol Competition" thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    Thanks for the rep comment, Mr. Helz with your 0 rep power and over 6000 posts in 8 years:
    Whatever floats your boat man. I am comfortable talking about my many flaws in front of this community and my extreme level of negative rep is actually a weird honor we pass around here.

    Im not sure what your mad about but I am getting a little creeped out by the level of attention you give me. Just chill and enjoy the community..
  19. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    In all my years of living, I still can't even comprehend what you said.
    One of my very many flaws as a person is an insane level of alcoholism combined with something else that leads to blathering insanity. I would not even try to decipher that nonsense. I avoid drunk posting here but when I do I own it.
  20. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    He isn't wrong though. I legit don't even remember making that post. Had quite the night : )
  21. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:texas fucking third world tier

    Thread Author:oops_ur_dead

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    18
    Views
    1,124

    ►►Re: texas fucking third world tier◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    As a person with two degrees, I can confirm that this tower meets Kirchhoff's current law. It's completely valid.

    What does suck is Texas's winterization capability, which isn't a worry when your year long ambients are 16-22 degC. Obviously with climate change among us, it's smarter if Texas had this stuff stockpiled because of the consequences we've seen with their inability to generate enough power.
    Oh yeah, All those lines in that picture are communication lines. The power lines are up top.

    I just saw it and cringed. Maybe I am a weirdo but I did harass the cable and internet companies until they came and unfucked their lines by my house. It was surprisingly difficult with every company saying someone else owned those lines until I just told them if nobody owns them I will climb the pole and cut them out myself. Then all of a sudden companies started sending techs : )
  22. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    LOL JK
    If he said no and that he had actually diverted resources given by kind people who legit just wanted to help so I could put 5$ in your pocket right now would you care?
  23. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Make SuperJack A Sig Competition

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    58
    Views
    2,799

    ►►Re: Make SuperJack A Sig Competition◄◄

    Name: Superjack.jpg
Views: 13
Size: 260.6 KB

    -edit
    Figured you can add whatever text and it works as an ultra British kangaroo
  24. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:CPI

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    26
    Views
    1,051

    ►►Re: CPI◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by LagAttack View Post
    Claiming lumber mills never slowed down is a bold claim considering all the reporting and market data to the contrary.
    Earlier today I was at Berdoll Sawmill and was talking with them about it. I also talk pretty regularly with lumbar yards and keep up with pricing. If there ever was a shortage past when trucking stopped for a week or so when Texas froze I have not herd of it from anyone. Something we have been laughing at is how hardwoods prices have not shifted at all. You can get sheets of maple cheaper than you can get some types of OSB and Plywood these days which is just insane (although its worth noting there has been supply issues in sheetrock and plywood with the logistics chain being backed up at the ports so those prices are somewhat justified from my understanding)

    Quote Originally Posted by LagAttack View Post
    Where you seem misguided is in assuming that the observations you have made are necessarily attributed to inflation rather than other factors.

    I promise you, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics isn't in cahoots with the Federal Reserve to cover up some astronomical inflation rate.
    Thats fair.

    I do not think there is some cover up. Just that the metrics used to evaluate CPI and Inflation are not effective even if they exclude secondary markets. This push that argues all the issues are transitory is pretty ridiculous in my opinion although time will tell whenever pricing stabilizes. I personally doubt a 2x4 will ever go back to being $2.38
  25. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:CPI

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    26
    Views
    1,051

    ►►Re: CPI◄◄

    I do understand your point. I just see a very substantial disconnect between what I observe and what I see reported. In conversations I have had with friends in Missouri, New York and California they have said they have the same issues. Im curious though, does anyone living in the US have a different experience with pricing?

    Some things are resulting from a shortage of supply or labor but many things are not such as E Textbooks for college. On 2x4's specifically I believe its just price gouging with lumber yards being well stocked and lumber mills having never slowed down the only change in demand or supply to that system was the big freeze Texas had earlier this year (which largely required sheetrock and plumbing supplies, not lumber.) Sectors like Oil or gas totally make sense but that only explains a portion of the observable shifts.

    I have to accept I could be totally wrong and connecting dots that don't exist but the difference between what we are being told and what I can see and hear from other people is just too extreme for me to ignore without poking the subject.
  26. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:CPI

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    26
    Views
    1,051

    ►►Re: CPI◄◄

    I didn't see this until just now but it made me laugh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svYH8JDEUU8

    Also reminded me how the house I bought last August for 88k I rejected an offer for 190k a month back. Buy sliced cheese : )
  27. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:CPI

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    26
    Views
    1,051

    ►►Re: CPI◄◄

    I get what your saying and I do see the same numbers. I just only see them when I pull statistics online and not in my life.

    The cost of basic foods I stock my fridge with has gone from costing me about 50$ a week to about 200$. The same foods I picked up when I traveled to California for work went from roughly 110$ to 240$. My neighbors rent just went from 750$ to 1250$. The cost of a 2x4 in January of last year was roughly 2.50$ and it jumped to around 10$ but now dropped to 7.90$. A year ago I could get an entree with a beer and tip for about 20$ while now I walk out for around 30$.

    These are the things I see in my life and the lives of people around me. But the CPI shows some 5% which does not translate to my life experience. On the most basic level I feel like when you snap trillions of dollars into existence in a fiat currency inflation happens which is reflected in consumer prices but the numbers are showing something very different. I see the same disconnect in online listings and real pricing.

    There is this part of me that has been focused on understanding how much of what I perceive is wrong in this world is just in my head but then I see stuff saying Inflation and CPI has only gone up by 5% and my mind just outright rejects it because of what I see around me. I can accept that CPI does not account for the scalping and such going on where a 3080's MSRP is 700$ but to buy one you gotta cough up 2k but those numbers look totally fucked to me when I walk out of a grocery store.
  28. Replies
    16
    Views
    305

    ►►Re: Opinions on the Bill Cosby case?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    You're*
    Save your archaic grammar check for bullshit English papers. This is a forum for a mod for a video game sir : )
  29. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:CPI

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    26
    Views
    1,051

    ►►CPI◄◄

    For a while I have been rambling about how inflation calculations are bullshit and some of those implications that follow.

    Something I have very little understanding about but feel is totally insane is the Consumer Price Index. I kinda have equal parts ignorance and feeling its extremely contrived at 5% while I have to spend well over twice as much on gas, food, and building materials from this time last year.

    Just wondering if anyone here has any real understanding on whats going on there or if I should deep dive into my loony toons conspiracy hunting nonsense at some point.
  30. Replies
    16
    Views
    305

    ►►Re: Opinions on the Bill Cosby case?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    This is the guy you all count on to call people out for being trolls? He didn't even read the article!
    I must have really gotten under your skin there. Or more likely your just really dedicated to pulling a smurf off given your esoteric reference to the Dunning-Kruger effect in a context that suggested you did not quite understand the concept well enough to casually mention it..

    But yes, I do my own independent research because we live in a day and age where you can make any argument based on how you pick your sources.
  31. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,338

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    Listen here, Mr or Mrs. Fake Troll Identifier. I've been an outstanding member of this community since 2019 with no blemishes on my record. I don't hurl racism, gamethrow, or cheat. But I have been a victim of many of these crimes. How dare you label me as a troll. How does it feel to be wrong as per Dunning-Kruger effect?
    Lol. You are entertaining.

    Might want to google the Dunning-Kruger effect before you reference it though.
  32. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,338

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    I can feel my brain cells committing suicide when I think about turning my comment into a conversation.


    Noooooopeee
  33. Replies
    16
    Views
    305

    ►►Re: Opinions on the Bill Cosby case?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Headlines around the internet say "Serial rapist released from jail after 3 years" or something like that.

    Meanwhile, reading through Bill Cosby's wiki - it looks more like he was spending 3 years in jail unnecessarily because it took so long before the Supreme Court overturned his conviction, and his law firm settled a defamation lawsuit against 7 women who were lying about being raped by him or whatever. I say lying in italics because it's more the case of they can't prove it.

    I understand that "serial rapist released from prison" makes for a good headline. But between trusting journalist headlines or the official ruling of the juridical system - I chose to believe that the man is innocent, even if it's based on the matter of the women being unable to prove they're right.

    What do you think?

    A different forum compared it to some OJ case (what's that?): "At least he served his time, OJ straight up murdered people and walked away."
    Who knows. The guy has money and coulda launched a PR campaign. I remember years back reading about how he had doubled down in some hardcore way that he was innocent and was fighting to clear his reputation as a person. I can only imagine if thats true how he must feel.

    But I also kinda see that a real potential. I feel like if he was flagrantly wrongly convicted he would receive some huge pay-out from the state for damages and that generally speaking whenever theres 'half truths' to a situation on the surface some level of the situation is justified. Nobody accused Mr. Rogers of being a rapist. Just saying..

    -Edit
    Looked into it a bit. It appears he is guilty as hell. From my limited understanding he was granted some level of immunity from prosecution for a criminal case so that a civil case could move forward and a portion of his testimony in that civil case was used in a later criminal case. He was let out simply because of a technicality- not because he was any shade of innocent.
  34. Replies
    34
    Views
    761

    ►►Re: A Statistical Analysis of Racism Across 10,790 Replays◄◄

    This was impressive. 10/10

    Would rep if I could : )
  35. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,338

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuesford View Post
    Why are you even here ChairmanMao? All you've done in this website is to trash on everyone.

    And worst thing is, you aren't even that good of a mod player.
    Feed the troll and he will stick around.

    Ignore he exists and starved for the notoriety and validation; he will slink off to whatever hole he crawled out of.
  36. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:texas fucking third world tier

    Thread Author:oops_ur_dead

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    18
    Views
    1,124

    ►►Re: texas fucking third world tier◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    power grid monke
    Name: IMG_1159.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 596.2 KB

    I came across this in Austin last week and it reminded me of how excellent our power grid is. Top tier electric work round here results in excellent reliability.
  37. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,338

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by ZZorange View Post
    Nah I have taken the feedback but if your hypothesis was correct I'd shy away from the times I've actually fucked up and was rightfully punished in the past. But I've never hid those games or denied them I've been 100% Honest about everytime I've legitimately fucked up. If the reports were A) Coming from respectable mafia players B) about offenses actually listed on this website and C) Offenses I've actually done, I wouldn't have fought them. Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that there was a witch hunt on and my days were numbered. I've definitely pissed a lot of bad mafia players off with the Honest Man gimmick, but I don't have it in me to feel shame for the things I've done to bad mafia players, never have. The good ones though, I'd take a report by them seriously if they ever came.
    I am not going to say there is no witch hunt going on for you but I do still feel like your invalidating the feedback that is given to you.

    Perhaps you can reject the feedback here but later in life take a moment to accept it in hind sight of this situation. Although by that time I doubt any person who has participated in this chat will care about this chat in the slightest or even remember this conversation happened.
  38. ►►Re: Critical Race Theory (CRT) and it's place in American race-relations.◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Frinckles View Post
    Everything I wrote went poof when I had to relog. x_x give me some time sorry
    Lol. I know the feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Business Idea:
    Make a weekly show where you slander a white guy for racism, in a similar fashion like Dr. Kent Hovind - Whack an Atheist Wednesday does with atheists for ignorance.
    It's a business model proven to work so.. Į\_(„ÉĄ)_/Į

    We should keep racism alive to make the world a more interesting place. ( Õ°į Õú Ė Õ°į)
    I would be surprised if that is not already a thing.
  39. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,338

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by ZZorange View Post
    I mean reputation plays a large part in it, as well as how you decide to play the game. If you play the game with the same name every game, people are going to remember the name and remember each single mistake you ever make even if its not a lot of the time. If you play the game using default names / random names and you fuck up rarely people aren't going to remember it as easily. Secondly if you follow the meta and do everything "proper" always claim role in jail etc... etc.... you will be reported less. If you play the game still legally but with a different playstyle or use a gimmick you'll get reported. Many of my haters are from the "Honest Man" gimmick, for instance those who understand the gimmick would know I wasn't able to tell lies and it would make the game easier for them, but for weaker players who didn't understand the gimmick they would often believe things that superior players wouldn't. Other things like choosing to not claim a role in jail (A defense mechanism due to extremely high being jailed % reactionary to outside circumstances. Finally if you manage to get a group of players that hate you, they'll constantly say how much you are a chronic game thrower, and this influences public opinion greatly. You see someone make a bad call in game, you may not be that likely to report them, but if the game is prefaced by one of their haters "X is a thrower" you might instead believe that mistake is intentional and report the player. My play style sans the gimmick and legal playstyle alterations would not be enough to get me mass reported. I know this because I don't adjust my play on alternate accounts and do not get reported, so much of it stems from reputation.

    Some of my past reports are clear evidence of this reputation playing a part as they are reports for situations that are novelties and haven't been seen on the site before.

    Directly after my last ban appeal success I was told by Altech and others in no uncertain terms "We are going to get you rebanned" no matter what I did, I would eventually make an error in game and get reported and banned it was only a matter of time unless I just never made a mistake. Now technically possible to never make a single mistake always lynch Mafias in game. But if I was that good at Mafia it wouldn't be fun to play the game so eventually i made an error and was banned, and my detractors got what they wanted.

    I think If this happened to you, you'd be able to understand what I'm saying a lot easier. All that said, drinking solo and spending time drunk posting on a forum seems like a slippery slope to alcoholism, I do enjoy a good beer but if you get to the point where you're drunk posting on a random sc2mafia forum it might be time to cool it on the sauce.
    To your personal question, yes; I am 100% an alcoholic. I do understand addiction and its cost but I would rather not outlive my body and mind. They are mine and I will do with them as I please.

    To your situation I do understand. But you should look at the greater context of your own situation.

    Maybe 3 or so years back I met this guy in a bar who was a detective and a master of neuro linguistic programming. Its one of those conversations I will never forget. He introduced a concept to me I felt was very profound. He walked me through how people focus on 1 event as the 'problem' while that single event was itself just the end of a long path.

    Consider me. In 2013 I got a DWI. It was a single event and I could point to it and say 'this one event is why I have to pay monies and do court bullshit;' while in reality, it was just the result of my lifestyle. I chose to go out and drink, then drive instead of calling a cab. I made a decision to do it far away from my home and I got away with it for wayy too long. The day I got a DWI was kinda bullshit. I worked a 16 hour shift then drove 6 hours up from south Texas, then had like 3 beers with friends in Austin on my way home to Round Rock. But I was so exhausted I fell asleep at a traffic light.
    I was not even mad about it. I knew there were too many times I had no business driving and to this day I am thankful that happened before I hurt someone being a dumbass. But that is because I looked at that situation not as a single 'event;' but rather the result of a pattern of behavior.

    In this situation I would challenge you to do the same. Sure, maybe theres a group of players who have decided to take a set against you. Thats not fair. Out of context its straight up bullying. But take a moment to reflect on how you have chosen to behave with the people around you. Consider your history and reputation and how you got there. Consider how you made them feel to get to the point where there is literally a group of regular players who want you out of the game.

    At the end of the day playing a game is about having fun with the people around you. I did all kinds of off the wall plays and such but I was always considerate to make sure the people I was playing with had fun and I was not just having fun at their expense. I think you have not been so considerate and I think you have trouble accepting your personal character flaws to the point that you would rather shift blame.

    Take my feedback or dont. But understand the reason I have spent a bit of time speaking with you is simply because I do feel like you can use this situation for personal growth and that carries well outside of this video game we are rambling about.
  40. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,338

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by ZZorange View Post
    Nah those ideas aren't mutally exclusive. You can hve mods who enjoy powertripping colluding with sc2mafia players who hate you, it's fairly easy to see how they aren't things that disallow the other from existing.

    I agree with your last point that if people are telling you the same feedback maybe you did something wrong, but Helz would you think the same way if it was a group of Neo Nazis who were telling you, you need to hate blacks more? If there had been a common trend for respectable people and not people who are known for mass reporting here there would be a lot more weight to the complaints.

    Like if a chronic gamethrower accusing you of gamethrowing you're not going to take their opinion as seriously as a player who doesn't right.

    If all of my reports were from respectable humans I would 100% agree with your logic here.
    I meant your position, not the ideas. Through the other topic and this one I felt like the position you took on the recent action taken against you changed from power tripping mods, then to mods tricked by a group of report spamming people with personal issues, then to the mods screwed up and you called them on it. The 2nd and third positions can fit together but are mutually exclusive from the first.

    To your point on Neo Nazis I feel like itís a fallacy argument. My point is that I played around 4200 games of Sc2 mafia and the only report on my conduct as a player was accusing me of hacking because they did not believe I could be that good. I never once got reported for game throwing or grieving or anything like that.

    Sure there may be a group of people you have personal issues with but the fact there are multiple people you have problems with reflects something about yourself. To be clear even if 80% of your reports were personally motivated that other 20 still reflects a pattern where you are the common factor and provides you with some objective feedback you can use to grow as a person.

    In general that is a principle I apply to my life in all areas. Sometimes I recognize there are things about me that cause an issue but I choose not to change yet I do feel itís of great value to recognize those patterns so I can take that feedback objectively.

    For one example, this year I made a conscious decision to stop drunk posting here. I got feedback from many unconnected people that it was causing issues and I made the decision to chill on that shit here because I care about this community. At the same time others I donít care so much about I go right on ahead with my drunken ramblings because I enjoy being a drunkass and debating nonsense : )
  41. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,338

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    All 6-7 people just shitting on one guy.
    And you guys wonder why the site only has 10-15 members at any given point.
    I do feel this is somewhat of a fair point. Although I donít think itís anything close to unique to this site.

    I constantly get dog piled on sites when I talk about ideas that go against the established social norms of that group. I think 2 months ago I had 7 or 8 people coming at me in a semi-extreme left group when I argued some ethical aspects of police. To put it in context a few of them held the hard position that cops should not even be allowed to carry guns and if they get killed they signed up for it.
  42. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Our hero, our orange, our zz

    Thread Author:SuperJack

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    103
    Views
    3,338

    ►►Re: Our hero, our orange, our zz◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by ZZorange View Post
    So in your mind mocking people who called out Mods when they objectively fucked up is a good look? If you stand with that, then that's all I really need to know.
    If I could ask, could you clarify what you think about the mods?

    At one point you suggested they were power tripping and abusing power. Then at another you said it was a result from multiple people having personal issues with you and spam reporting you until mods took action (with the thinking that multiple reports create a situation where they need to be addressed), and then here you said they fucked up and you called them out on it.

    I kinda feel that these positions are mutually exclusive and am a bit confused as to what your point is.

    On a side note as I said before, when multiple people take issue with you, you are the common factor. Iím sure some blame can be attributed to others but in my personal life when I receive the same feedback from multiple sources I try to be introspective and see if I can grow from it as a person.
  43. Replies
    73
    Views
    2,453

    ►►Re: A message to sc2mafia and staff from anti-hero ZZOrange◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    Uh did helz thing the domain buying was real.? XD
    Lol. I really donít think itís possible. You would have to talk to Mike about it but we donít do the typical Ďgo daddyí domain hosting stuff that allows people to buy the domain when the contract lapses.

    Funny story though, someone got the NFL like that a few years back and made them buy it back at a big cost
  44. Replies
    73
    Views
    2,453

    ►►Re: A message to sc2mafia and staff from anti-hero ZZOrange◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by ZZorange View Post
    Damn I really got under this guys skin I guess.

    I don't really know why, my beliefs aren't that out there.

    The objective fact is that yes the mods here are biased, that cannot really be disproven and the reasons why are as simple as people's motivations.


    There isn't actually anything holding sc2mafia moderators to doing their job well, if they make a bad call they're not going to be reprimanded the only thing potentially keeping them honest is other moderators who also do not having anything preventing them from fucking up.

    Then you simply have to think about the mentality of people who choose to sc2mafia moderate.

    Nearly all people who volunteer their time to "do something good" to put it vaguely, expect the actions of that time spent to directly benefit someone or some thing.

    If you had someone for example giving their time to say volunteer to help vaacinate people, but then you told that person that all of their efforts weren't actually helping anyone and the rest of the team was filling those syringes with just water. The only reason you'd stay there after being told that your actions were essentially worthless, would be if you really enjoyed jabbing people with needles.

    This same situation applies to all the moderators of sc2mafia. In truth they know that 100% of the bans doled out can be circumvented easily and any bans they make to most "problem players" can effectively be ignored. Now this isn't really up for debate that's just a fact of how sc2 currently is.

    So knowing the fact that any bans handed out can effectively just be ignored, why would anyone who came to sc2mafia to moderate for the good of the people stick around.

    Think about it logically, if you knew for a fact anything you did wouldn't have any lasting consequences and you wouldn't be helping anyone, the only reason you would stick around is if there was something else involved in it that you enjoyed doing. IE the rush one gets from flexing their power and getting their rocks off banning someone.

    Most things that sane people do can be explained by the things that motivate them, so if I take out the motivation people get from actually doing something that helps people, there has to be something else that motivates them or why would they continue to do it.

    Like for instance I enjoy sc2mafia so I continue to play it for example, if I no longer enjoyed it I wouldn't play it.


    This isn't anything personnel against the mods but the objective truth is, that they only remain mods to powertrip there's no other realistic motivation they could have when their actual actions are meaningless from a "making the community better" standpoint.


    If you want to remain in denial you can try but like it or not you will eventually arrive at the this fundamental truth, because well the truth is the truth because its true. One can't deny reality forever.

    Honest Man Out.
    Just a few thoughts:

    I donít believe anyone can buy the domain. I wonít explain why but itís just not a thing because this site is not hosted like a site would be if you wanted to make your own site.

    I also never understood the position of people destroying players experiences to Ďforce staff to stop hurting players experiencesí I face palm every time I see some idiot pretending to have moral grounds for being an asshole.

    I have honestly never herd of a punishment system with anywhere near the checks and balances that this site has. Someone pushes a report- that person canít be involved in the report after that. Then someone else processes the report and yet another person reviews and implements the punishment. Then it can be appealed and yet another person uninvolved up to that point handles a review of the report and punishment. Thatís a crazy amount of checks to ensure no unilateral action is taken and eliminate bias.

    As for power tripping staff, I did see that at some points but I donít think itís been an issue for a very long time. After a while those who craved power were weeded out and those who reluctantly accepted it to preform the function of protecting the community moved up.

    At the end of the day moderation is a thankless job. When done right nobody cares and when done wrong you get crucified in a court of public opinion. There is no pay and it takes a lot of work and the Ďpowerí you get does not give you much fun in the end. The Ďrulesí were created by the community and you have to accept that when players report you itís because your behavior is hurting their experience. You also can not blame staff when itís the community itself thatís taking issue with your behavior.

    If you would like to have a conversation on the ethics of moderation Iím game but you really should accept that when you have issues with many people you are the common factor in the situation. Itís my personal belief that game moderation should focus on ensuring an enjoyable experience for the community.
  45. ►►Re: Critical Race Theory (CRT) and it's place in American race-relations.◄◄

    So it took me a very long time to really dig into this subject and I kinda have split feelings on it. I do feel that raising awareness against discrimination is a very positive thing as well as spreading understanding, consideration, and tolerance for cultures and their predominate races which seems to be the overall objective of this 'practice.' So for the concept and what is trying to be accomplished I feel like its a good thing that could be implemented into education to tear down bias and promote equality.

    At the same time though its implementation feels very racist to me. The majority of the speakers I saw giving talks on the subject seemed to promote a narrative of 'White people are ignorant, hateful, and racist' followed by arguments that entangle socio-economic status with racism (inappropriately). The latter is totally a thing but its one hell of a complicated subject I dont want to poke here.

    This line of thinking I believe is a form of racism in itself I have been seeing spread around media. I had a conversation a week or two back about John Oliver on the subject. He seems to push the same narrative attributing all inequality and hate twards white people and even has started throwing the statement "Fucking white people" into his shows (The last statement in his bit on African American Hair and midway though his recent piece on Asians.) The people I talked about it with took the conversation a little sideways (and one of them reacted saying "White people can take it") but my point was that if you swapped out 'White' with any other race people would loose their minds. Its an overt attempt to spread a very derogatory racial stereotype and then flatly pushing an unambiguous racial statement that speaks to an effort to 'shift hate' instead of eliminating it.

    I bring this up simply because this is what I see CRT being used to do. I feel like the concept is good but its being used for evil in a sense. The objective should not be to focus blame and justify a new and acceptable form of racism. Its been very interesting to me how blatant these racist arguments are and how difficult it has been to even talk about them.

    All that said, I do not feel society can handle CRT appropriately yet and I think a portion of how society is discussing racism in general is creating a very toxic and racist narrative. Hate can not be cured with more hate and it was mildly upsetting to me seeing how many educated scholars on the subject were spreading such a toxic message under the guise of pushing for acceptance and equality.

    A part of me is very curious to hear what some of you think about that message being pushed or how to even approach talking about it.
  46. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:gig talk

    Thread Author:rumox

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    5
    Views
    520

    ►►Re: gig talk◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by blinkskater View Post
    so the pussy ass mfers who usually host the reggae fest i attend cancelled it again
    That sucks man. Hopefully things will open up a bit more as time goes on.
  47. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:gig talk

    Thread Author:rumox

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    5
    Views
    520

    ►►Re: gig talk◄◄

    I havenít gone to any shows but I have caught a few local gigs in bars and such. Canít remember any of their names but I did get dualing pianos to play pussy control.
  48. Forum:Forum Mafia Discussion

    Thread:Let's challenge SSCU Trench Wars

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    24
    Views
    423

    ►►Re: Let's challenge SSCU Trench Wars◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Dunno I looked at the game Voth was in and I agree with him 100%, people post far too much fluff on MU. It makes the game very hard for no reason.
    I feel like many of their more reputable players bounce between theory crafting and mechanical hunting with little consideration for raw analysis. Gets pretty old when you have to read hundreds of posts saying ďHow about Bob, Chris, and Zach for the scum teamĒ with next to no analysis.

    Not surprised on the MU ban btw. I get the impression some of the mods see themselves as some kind of social justice warriors looking for a soap box to justify being shitty to another person.
  49. Forum:Mafia 2.0 Public Test

    Thread:mod previliege

    Thread Author:Tauntshaman

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    7
    Views
    197

    [Miscellaneous Feedback] ►►Re: mod previliege◄◄

    I believe at some point I coded in some Ďlegacy modí thing that kept powers for inactive people but withheld specific functions and limited the amount of points they could give.

    It could be what you have..
  50. Forum:Forum Mafia Discussion

    Thread:random FM poll

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    30
    Views
    531

    Poll: ►►Re: random FM poll◄◄

    Whatís Gish-galloping refer to? Thatís a new one for me
Results 1 to 50 of 2000
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4