Search Results - SC2 Mafia
Register

Search:

Type: Posts; User: Helz

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 0.08 seconds.

  1. Forum:Signups

    Thread:S-FM 336*: (Ladder) Politico II - 12P

    Thread Author:MartinGG99

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    38
    Views
    636

    Poll: ►►Re: S-FM 336*: (Ladder) Politico II - 12P◄◄

    /reserve

    Ending my professional obligations soon and looking forward to some games. Doubt it will be soon enough for this but one can hope : )
  2. Forum:Punished Players & Appeals

    Thread:Valknott: 1-S2-1-324571

    Thread Author:seal

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    6
    Views
    100

    {Watch List} ►►Re: Valknott: 1-S2-1-324571◄◄

    I am not going to look at or comment on the moderation decision. I was only pointing out that people in the arcade and forum are punished for hate speech.
    I don't like that this site gets a reputation just because its open minded (and it has nothing to do with arcade moderation)
  3. Forum:Punished Players & Appeals

    Thread:Valknott: 1-S2-1-324571

    Thread Author:seal

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    6
    Views
    100

    {Watch List} ►►Re: Valknott: 1-S2-1-324571◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermito View Post
    First off, it's hilarious you're reviewing me for racism considering literally none of the racist spamming people have ever been banned or warned as far as I can tell.
    I probably have not responded to anything in literal years as far as arcade moderation but if you believe what you said here I think the punished forums are public and you should read them..
    I do not think you have a very informed position given your statement.
  4. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:Framing Narratives

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    0
    Views
    36

    ►►Framing Narratives◄◄

    Something I have been thinking about lately is how substantially our interactions are impacted by the narratives created on issues. I feel like as a society we have hit a point of collapse in how we disseminate information. The outlets we use to be informed have financial and political interests in framing situations to push objectives and socially we are becoming tribal in a sense, speaking in communities that support group held ideology's.

    I was speaking with some people last week about the Rittenhouse situation and the more I looked at it the more I saw how the media voiced narrative impacted our views. In spite of shooting 3 white guys theres a lot of opinion that he is a racist. In spite of working as a lifeguard in the town and his father living there there is a widely held belief that he traveled to the city as an outsider.

    Im not trying to get into the Rittenhouse stuff. But just using those bits as examples. Maybe there is some parallel to how rumors naturally gain traction in social interactions but its very notable how prevalent it is. How situations immediately become polarized and how even when you dig for the truth its just so hard to find objective information. We live in a day where political interests are even capable of convincing masses of people that our elections are stolen resulting in violent riots.

    Im curious how everyone trys to counter this. Or even how many people take steps to try to counter this. These toxic rhetoric's result in a very real cost in our society and even in the people we get close to. Socially if someone tried to convince you that your girlfriend was cheating on you with the goal of splitting you up you might want to fight them. But how can you fight institutions that exist to profit from fostering division and hatred? Why is there such little accountability for spreading lies and how can we even insulate ourselves from this toxicity?

    On the Rittenhouse thing I probably spent 5 or 6 hours digging after it happened and I still had truckloads of misconceptions. Between misinformation campaigns and our inability to break away from our established ideology's it just makes it so easy for conversations to go badly. Even understanding our own bias and how it causes us to jump to support misinformation is just so hard to recognize, much less counter. Im curious if there is some metacognitive process that could be used to counter this and if there is some social skill that could mitigate its impact. Or even if others see it as such a substantial issue on the macro and micro levels of our lives.
  5. Forum:Circlejerk

    Thread:I'm Being Censored

    Thread Author:HentaiManOfPeace

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    14
    Views
    483

    ►►Re: I'm Being Censored◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    Does my avatar make me look like scum? What if I said it was made by @fred
    Yours is pretty nondescript. I had more considered along the lines of an avatar being made to look innocent to give a subliminal feeling that the individual is innocent. Or I once used one that had an optical pattern which was difficult to focus on as scum thinking it may make me less memorable.
  6. Forum:Circlejerk

    Thread:I'm Being Censored

    Thread Author:HentaiManOfPeace

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    14
    Views
    483

    ►►Re: I'm Being Censored◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    ...does that mean having a wolf avatar when playing FM is not optimal?!
    Hahaha

    Odd line of thought but when I first started playing FM's here I legit did avatar analysis on anons. I don't think it was worth much but at the time I legit thought there could be some AI and PR coloration with chosen avatars. (still think there probably is but its also probably so idiosyncratic you gotta meta it)
  7. Forum:Circlejerk

    Thread:I'm Being Censored

    Thread Author:HentaiManOfPeace

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    14
    Views
    483

    ►►Re: I'm Being Censored◄◄

    When I was a teenager breaking into cars I understood something very basic. People see what they expect to see. So I dressed up as a church boy wearing kakis and a polo wearing a Jesus cross when I went out to rob peoples cars. It got me out of some shit.

    I think you could consider your name and avatar while you look at bias against you. You have presented yourself in a pretty socially offensive way which probably means people will assume the worst in your posts and see you as a troll as opposed to a genuine member. That just draws from human nature.

    But I think these words are waisted because I think your trolling with them and you know exactly what your doing.
    Which begs the question- Am I censoring you by saying so because I dislike your justified beliefs, am I falling to the fallacy that comes with assumptions from people presenting themselves as a troll, or do I have some bias against you that justifies you presenting yourself as a victim?
  8. ►►Re: Critical Race Theory (CRT) and it's place in American race-relations.◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Lazy me who doesn't really want to/have much time to watch the 21 minutes: So she's basically saying that racialism is bad because it's based on the flawed/nonexistent concept of "race" and is in fact just racism? Or am I projecting my own views on the bit of her words I've listened to?
    Honestly I am a pretty dense speaker. A lot of what I say is like.. information dense. Her piece there is probably as dense as you could speak without using truckloads of esoteric terminology. I think I have listened to this piece 5 or 6 times now and I do not feel capable of really covering the thoughts she conveyed. If you want a brief takeaway I would say listen from 10:00 to 12:00. That bit has a holy fucking shit amount of good takes I legit had to take in bites to unpack.

    To your question she is arguing that the use in language and social structure of race is racism and that in context of social structures eliminativism practices actually work to destroy racism while reconstructionist, naturalist, and conversations positions end up perpetuating the issue.

    Honestly it would be a huge task to unpack what she is talking about but holy fucking shit this girl nails racial concepts from like.. every angle. The philosophy, popular and historical takes, sociological, pragmatic.. Its all there.
  9. Forum:Mafia Discussion

    Thread:Nerf Jailor Role

    Thread Author:Serena

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    11
    Views
    226

    ►►Re: Nerf Jailor Role◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Serena View Post
    So let me get this straight, if an interro has kidnapped someone and executed. and then runs out of ammo from kidnapping and shooting, and they jail the SK. and can't execute, that person dies then? because the sk can't be roleblocked right?
    Depends on if SK kills role blockers is on if I remember correctly.

    My earlier point was that theres 2 main doctrines to balancing a game. One in which you try to quantify what optimal play is and then set the game up to have true balance. Another where you look at your player base and figure out what they do so you can just make games enjoyable for the way they are played.

    Consider Starcraft. Mathematically Zerglings and Tanks have insane DPS but because of how they are used they are considered 'balanced.' This balance is measured and modified based on how the highest tiers of players preform in tournaments and such. Every once in a while someone innovates breaking the balance and changing the meta but its re-established with patches.

    Our mod is more self-balanced. Players create setups and when a setup favors one side or one role people get angry about it forcing repicks and occasionally balance updates. If you ever decide to get into the Forum Mafia version of the game you will very quickly discover that the SC2Mod is crazy imbalanced and if you had a full group of 'competent' players the town would just laughingly stomp the scum every time.

    That said, its less about actually balancing the game so much as giving tools to players to make the game enjoyable. But to your point I very much agree that the Jailor is an extremely over powered role in many respects. Although it also depends on what options are enabled.

    Tangentially Crier was my favorite role before it had an evil counterpart simply because having an anonymous but confirmed town voice made it a citizen who could coordinate. It was very powerful in the right hands but also arguably the most skill based role but got reduced to a blathering troll at night when it lost its confirmed town status.
  10. Forum:Mafia Discussion

    Thread:Nerf Jailor Role

    Thread Author:Serena

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    11
    Views
    226

    ►►Re: Nerf Jailor Role◄◄

    It really is an op role.

    Perfect role blocking
    Near perfect protector
    Coordinates and functions as a semi investigator demanding claims
    Can kill
    Is self confirmable providing excellent lynch insulation

    At the same time though the game follows the philosophy of being balanced for how players play it as opposed to being actually balanced.
  11. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:Culture of moderation

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    2
    Views
    162

    ►►Re: Culture of moderation◄◄

    I had a conversation with Lag about it last night although it became apparent to me that such patterns were much more prevalent in Arcade moderation than it FM (and to be clear I did not make this topic because of any recent FM moderation actions.)

    Independent of results this is just poking at the thought process of whats considered when deciding on punishments. The individuals history is of great pertinence in line with prior actions being the greatest predictor of future actions to protect the community as well as to rehabilitate the individual. At some point when I have time I have been considering writing up a piece on ethical considerations of moderation derived from legal concepts but this is one substantial aspect of accepted thought process.

    In a certain discord channel I have grown very fond of I recently poked at another of understanding individuals intentions behind their actions but I think the person I poked on it did not want to touch the subject when I asked them what other way they feel things should be handled which was disappointing.
  12. ►►Re: Critical Race Theory (CRT) and it's place in American race-relations.◄◄

    Sorry for yet another necro but for those interested this is probably the end point of my chasing this rabbit.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTilZ9WQYM

    Dr Sheena Mason has truckloads of great takes on the issue and breaks down the nonsense I have been fumbling about and fucking up for years. The view of eliminating the subject also makes a lot of sense to me in multiple respects and I love that she frames the issue in a way that addresses the ideology behind it. More and more I find that is what I am actually getting at in my rambling ways..
  13. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:Culture of moderation

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    2
    Views
    162

    ►►Culture of moderation◄◄

    Sometimes I think about entropy. How structures slowly devolve and how this applies to social structures and their managment.

    Something that I found particularly elegant about SC2's punishment system was the principle that punishments would be treated in ratio to frequency. That there was a designated time line for escalation.

    But this was also the most neglected concept when I was Warden. It was probably near my end that I realized that the neglect of this concept created a structure that would slowly alienate our player base. I very poorly addressed this issue and I have no idea if its still a breach of the original design for moderation.

    Something I have been considering lately is how that pattern structures the growth of a forum. It may be worth considering if community growth is limited by such a structure or if its ethical to escalate punishments without regard to the growth that comes with time. I am a little lost right now between the global community as a super structure in my mind but I felt like this was worth a conversation.
  14. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:Retirement

    Thread Author:Voss

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    13
    Views
    2,029

    ►►Re: Retirement◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    I'm actually re-retiring.
    I sometimes wonder if Mafia is a life sentence.

    I hope you find the time in your life that you are looking for.
  15. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Purpose of neopronouns?

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    9
    Views
    169

    ►►Re: Purpose of neopronouns?◄◄

    I think a large portion of the optics of this issue comes from a very small but very vocal portion of the population. I am not going to pretend to understand the logic behind the titles and as Oops said- I have never actually seen someone get offended and push some weird pronoun although I have seen truckloads of pushing the idea of being pronoun considerate.
  16. Replies
    27
    Views
    1,350

    ►►Re: Bitcoin is fucking dumb and useless◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    I am honestly considering starting an NFT-based grift because I think people who are so GOOFY that they believe that NFTs are good deserve to get scammed for all their money.
    /sign : )
  17. Forum:News

    Thread:The Donor Thank-You Thread!

    Thread Author:Dark.Revenant

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    153
    Views
    72,981

    Sticky: ►►Re: The Donor Thank-You Thread!◄◄

    I think at some point I consolidated multiple donor lists in a staff section including more things than are on this list. Might be worth some copy-pasta to the the public thread
  18. Replies
    9
    Views
    316

    ►►Re: How can one be against philosophy◄◄

    I had some fun with a concept like this earlier this week. Helped a friend of mine with a paper she had to write for her political science degree. She was given a chapter from Paul Feyerbend's 'Against method' essentially debating the ideology of science being the end-all of discovery and if reasoning had a place in furthering science.

    There were very valid points such as Galileo Galilei figuring out that the planets orbited the sun with reasoning as opposed to the scientific method and the fact that science itself was created from reasoning making it silly to dismiss reasoning as a valid form of progression in the structure it created.

    I think its of note that a PhD is literally a doctorate in philosophy in a field. Its the mainstay of the highest level of academics even in straight deductive fields such as mathematics for a reason. Examining the potential of 'what could be' allows us to innovate and move past where we are now even if such growth is seen as intellectual masterbation.

    One example that comes to mind is William Shockley. Brilliant level of genius who was able to work outside established structures and do whatever he felt like because he was so good. The guy was a monster of a mind at bell labs (which really is saying something) but he was so good he would chase whatever tangents he fancied at the time even spending time designing and riding unicycles up and down the halls. People had no understanding of why he did the things he did and most would look at him as more of an artist than a scientist. Regardless his mental gymnastics helped create the transistors and foundation of information theory that allows me to type this message.

    I think a defining moment in my life was when I read about Kants deterministic view of innovation. Looking at mental thought as a closed loop system in which you are only able to think in terms of what you have already thought and the stimulus around you. I personally believe I am able to come up with new ways of looking at things simply because I work my mind in weird ways and dive into philosophy. It gives me that external stimulus I need to draw different conclusions from the same situations we all look at which is a very basic foundation of education as seen in the PhD programs.
  19. Replies
    11
    Views
    382

    ►►Re: Consequences of extreme automation◄◄

    I feel like under an automated market you would need to name it something new. Communism is more like socialism with the government dictating production as well as distribution of production which does not fit imo.

    I do not think automation could ever fully eliminate jobs. Networking and personal relationships are a huge part of business and I don't see how you could fully replace that with AI's and robots. You will always still have people in Sales, HR and management on some level and theoretically if you did have a 100% automated company nobody would be out there to advocate for legislation in its favor so I bet 'people run' companies would take advantage of it and the populous would favor taxing the hell out of it.

    Then there is the aspect of creativity. Sure there are advanced AI's out there that can design more efficient parts like this wall section for an airplane ( https://cdn.redshift.autodesk.com/20...sidebyside.jpg ) but most respects of innovation and art will always be human. Take it to the extreme and markets will always exist for 'people made stuff.' Just think of the bullshit 'handmade Amish furniture' people pay for just because they assume its hand made.

    Then you will need people to be there to fix and program the machines. One sci-fi concept I have always been interested in is the AI singularity where computers gain autonomy in designing computers which has many tangents. The most famous would probably be what's outlined in the terminator story line. But would that be so bad? Humans are fucking incompetent on the macro level and incapable of addressing problems proactively more than a few years ahead. We probably won't suffer too much from this but fast forward a few generations and I bet they will be looking back at our lives now as some golden age. I, Robot tackled some aspects of that problem.

    Another thing that comes to mind is what would happen to people if they did not need to work. People who retire often die within 10 years of quitting work. I can speak from personal experience for both myself as well as the people I work with that when you don't have that 'reason' to get out of bed in the morning and some level of structure in your life most people fall apart.

    Just a few things that come to mind. I would be very curious about how an automated market would interact with a human-driven government. Those dynamics would be very interesting to consider.
  20. ►►Re: What if every team was named after the most abundantly populated animal in their geographical ar◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost View Post
    You know what would be a better idea? Naming teams based on that cities' most searched keyword on PornHub.

    NSFW: https://cs.phncdn.com/insights-stati...e-searches.png
    AL EAST

    Tampa Bay Trumpers (Trump #1)

    Boston Students (College)

    New York Footjobbers (Footjob #1)

    Toronto Lesbians

    Baltimore Backshots (Cumbacks)

    AL CENTRAL

    Chicago THOTs

    Cleveland Cougars (Cougars #1)

    Detroit Facesitters (Facesitting)

    Kansas City Chubbies (Chubby)

    Minnesota POVs

    AL WEST

    Houston Sexmex (Sexmex #1)

    Seattle DPers (Double Penetration)

    Oakland Swaggers (Swag #1)

    Los Angeles Hatefuckers (Swag #2)

    Texas Latina Princesses (Sexmex #2)

    NL EAST

    Atlanta Ticklers (Tickling)

    Philadelphia Fat Asses (Fat Ass #1)

    New York Feet Appreciators (Footjob #2)

    Miami Trumpers (Trump #2)

    Washington Voters

    NL CENTRAL

    Milwaukee Bondages

    St. Louis Unplanned Parents (Accidental Creampie)

    Cincinnati Cougars (Cougars #2)

    Chicago THOTs

    Pittsburgh Big Booties (Fat Ass #2)

    NL WEST

    San Francisco Brutal Lovers (Swag #3)

    Los Angeles Roughriders (Swag #4)

    San Diego Conquistadors (Swag #5)

    Colorado Anus Lovers (Tushy)

    Arizona Navajos
    This message was halarious and I thank you for it
  21. Forum:Narrator Discussion

    Thread:Closing down

    Thread Author:Voss

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    10
    Views
    248

    ►►Re: Closing down◄◄

    I know how hard it is to walk away from a long term project you care about and how it feels to force yourself to push on working on it when it costs you moments in life. I hope this decision brings you enjoyment and if it matters I think what you did do was huge. I can not imagine how many hours you poured into it all but itís good to see you putting yourself first.
  22. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:I don't like this new policy change tbh

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    48
    Views
    1,208

    ►►Re: I don't like this new policy change tbh◄◄

    Lots of good points. And to be fair I only made the argument I did because it tickled my brain and I felt like it could make for an interesting discussion.

    I suppose as pointed out the question has to be clarified. When saying 1+1=2 do the numbers refer to an abstract designation of quantity or are they talking about 2 physical things? And past that even if they are physical things the most prominent model of quantum physics (to my very limited understanding) is string theory and its variations which speaks to the smallest particles being 2 dimensional strings so with that thought cutting up the 3 dimensional sphere would invalidate my entire line of thinking even if we were to say that the 1s refers to real physical objects.

    Yxb also gave me some brain candy I had never considered in refuards to how to pick apart this problem. I do love a good rabbit hole.
  23. Replies
    110
    Views
    2,710

    ►►Re: S-FM 335: Bisected Souls (10-20P) Signups◄◄

    Sorry, thereís just no way for me to play when working on the rig.
  24. Replies
    110
    Views
    2,710

    ►►Re: S-FM 335: Bisected Souls (10-20P) Signups◄◄

    I will replace in or play depending on the timeline.
    I am a ghost for the next 2 or 3 weeks but I love this game concept
  25. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:I don't like this new policy change tbh

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    48
    Views
    1,208

    ►►Re: I don't like this new policy change tbh◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Through the use of the Axiom of Choice, we can cut a sphere into finitely many pieces that can be rearranged and put back together as two balls, yes. However, this does not in any way imply 1+1>4. The difference is you're taking an infinite set of points (the points of a sphere), cutting them up in some fucked way and rearranging them to make two infinite sets that are the same as the prior set, rather than finding a way to literally make one single item into two.
    I did not expect to go down this rabbit hole yet again. But I very much enjoy doing so (made a small edit in red to rephrase my argument correctly). One lesson I have been chewing on for the last month or so is how ideology is the enemy of free thinking. With that in mind I feel like I can phrase this argument differently than I ever have before.

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    That, of course, still may not sound logical - like you're taking something of 1 volume and producing something with 2 volume. But the key thing to note is that these smaller pieces are unmeasurable. That effectively means it's not possible to apply traditional notions of volume or mass to these broken up pieces. Axiom of Choice gives us the power to make constructions that can't exist in reality, and one type of construction is these weird, fractal-y fucked up partitions that lack a well defined notion of volume.
    The fact you see them as unmeasurable does not mean that they are. Sure we are diving deep into the theoretical side of math but we are very ignorant of our reality. For example- What is 1 divided by 3? Unmeasurable. Take that same number in a number scale of twelve and what is a third of a foot? 4". Change the model from base 10 to base 12 and it can be solved perfectly.

    Sure, the way we use math right now we can not explain this proof but it is a proof and the only way to invalidate it is to invalidate math itself. My argument here is just a slightly more complex version of my response to Oops but with much deeper reasoning. Consider my premise that ideology is the enemy of free thinking. What we have to dismantle here is the idea that math as we understand it is encompassing.

    Think about the concept of 0. It took a long time to come up with and its implications were huge. I am sure people then thought they understood math but something so simple was a huge mind bend to them. So why should we think we are different? We understand reality in 3 dimensions with general exploration of the potentials of 4 dimensions but we have no clue how many there are. We understand the periodic table of elements as we have discovered and measured it and we have even stretched it pretty far creating things in labs that did not exist naturally but who is to say we do not understand the equivalent of the concept of 0 when it comes to chemistry when we have little understanding about 95 - 27% of matter that exists as 'dark matter.'

    Then theres the two accepted models of physics from Newtonian to Quantum which do not seem to line up. Both seem valid although the Quantum is newer and less understood. Diving into it something as simple as the exact position of a particle is considered unmeasurable. Schrodinger's cat was considered blathering nonsense until Quantum physics was accepted so it brings up a question of where you want to draw a line. Its cute to say its as simple as 1+1=2 but that is not anywhere close to the whole story and we are honestly so ignorant of our ignorance its tough to accept what 'could be.'

    I personally hope there is some parallel between wavelengths of particles and cognitive connections so science is validated but everything in me tells me we are hardly scratching the surface of what we don't know. For the most basic answer I would point out some base level of quantum physics could be the equivalent of what 0 once was.

    The understanding of our ignorance is the beginning of knowledge.
  26. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:I don't like this new policy change tbh

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    48
    Views
    1,208

    ►►Re: I don't like this new policy change tbh◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    I am firmly of the belief that math is abstract nonsense that lines up with reality sometimes. Hence, 1+1=2 because that is what we have defined it to be.
    We have also defined complex mathematical concepts to be every much as valid as simple mathematical concepts (such as 1+1=2) so invalidating math as abstract nonsense and then referencing math is a severe contradiction. We must either question the nature of mathematics at its core or disregard it entirely- but in either situation 1+1=2 is no longer an acceptable premise with that reasoning.
  27. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:I don't like this new policy change tbh

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    48
    Views
    1,208

    ►►Re: I don't like this new policy change tbh◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    I was ready to elaborate on my stance. I said my mind won't be changed which was absolutely true, same how nobody will change my mind on 1+1=2.
    I duno. BanachĖTarski paradox strongly suggests that 1+0= >2. I could regurgitate the proof to you or you could see it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banach...h_of_the_proof but either way there is a very substantial argument that 1+1 does not equal 2 assuming mathematics is a language that reflects reality and is not just abstract nonsense that just lines up well (although thats a debate in itself)
  28. Replies
    21
    Views
    419

    ►►Re: So Americans get taxed even if they leave the country?◄◄

    I couldn't answer some of those questions. Took a practice test and I got 14 out of 20 right. https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/ci...tice-test-2008 for those interested (although I have huge gaps in my knowledge most Americans probably don't)

    There are tons of questions I just do not understand the point of. Asking what day you have to file taxes by? Hell yeah that matters being a citizen. Asking to name an Indian tribe that existed before America or the exact date a law was passed....? What makes someone more able to function within our society by knowing that?
    Yet things I feel like would help society function such as simply establishing a common language or knowledge of how to use the functions within society are largely ignored. "What number do you call in case of an emergency" would be an obvious example.
  29. Replies
    21
    Views
    419

    ►►Re: So Americans get taxed even if they leave the country?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    I disagree with your point about it requiring context. I think the Dubai requirements are bullshit, just as I think the American requirements are bullshit. I will still have a stronger opinion about the American requirements because itís the country that I live in. I can vote on representatives to make legislature about citizenship reform. I canít do that in Dubai. My voice on that opinion actively doesnít matter so I do not care to voice it.
    I take more issue with Mexico. To say 'Were going to take all your shit when you die unless your a citizen' and then turn around and make it a huge pain to become a citizen.. Thats just dirty.
    But I guess the country is more honest about being corrupt than America.
  30. ►►Re: What if every team was named after the most abundantly populated animal in their geographical ar◄◄

    Honestly we have kinda gone twards nicknaming organizations that are so douche they act woke. Anyone remember the Washington Dildos?
  31. Replies
    21
    Views
    419

    ►►Re: So Americans get taxed even if they leave the country?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    I'm not saying everywhere else is great. I'm saying that locking down citizenship behind a paywall for a college student is stupid. It would be stupid in another country too.
    Agreed.

    I do feel like the voiced position of 'American citizenship needs reform' should be placed in context with other countries citizenship though. Its a relative question to say if 'this location is being unreasonable' and I have never herd about anyone calling out Dubai having some 500k a year minimum income requirement to become a citizen. If we are just about equality shouldn't we be advocating to allow all the poor people in India into Dubai? (Someone is going to pick up on the unspoken joke there)

    On the just dunking on America page I have no clue about that financial requirement and I have worked with quite a few immigrants as the got their citizenship through the oil field, construction and general business in the south. Maybe its new? I just duno. The thing I always talked shit about though was all the weird shit required to be an American. They had to memorize all sorts of stuff I had no idea about and I lived here a large portion of my life. I had this driller I worked with named Chris who was born in Mexico but lived in America sense he was some months old and was more American than I was in many ways but when he was working on his practice test every third question I had no fucking clue what the answer was.
    Just saying.. I duno about the 1k nonsense but when citizens of a country can not pass the requirements to become a citizen of their own country somethings kinda fucked up. (although again I don't think its fair to act like America is the worst or even unreasonably dicks about their process when you look at country's of wealth)
  32. Replies
    21
    Views
    419

    ►►Re: So Americans get taxed even if they leave the country?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    It also costs $1000 to become a US citizen, something that one of my classmates is dealing with currently.
    Its worth looking at the citizenship requirements of other countries when speaking about Americas problems.

    My buddy has been working on becoming a citizen in Mexico for over 10 years and having hell. He only wants to because his land holdings will revert to the government when he dies and only citizens can pass stuff down to their children.

    Not saying its not terrible but people act like America's process is so terrible while the rest of the worlds is so great.
  33. Replies
    21
    Views
    419

    ►►Re: So Americans get taxed even if they leave the country?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    Really the system is set up as a way to stop people from doing things such as: owning a US based business but living in a place with no income tax to get around having to pay tax on the profits you're making within the US
    I kinda feel like it failed if that was its intent. Deferral allows U.S. multinational corporations to forego taxes on profits of their foreign subsidiaries until they are paid as dividends to the U.S. parent company allowing most of our big tech companies to dodge taxes at an insane rate. Always tickles me when thats seen in contrast to how they push 'progressive' ideas and government spending like they care.
  34. Replies
    21
    Views
    419

    ►►Re: So Americans get taxed even if they leave the country?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    There is the FEIE - Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. FEIE lets you exclude the first $108,700 you earn abroad from US taxes.

    Additionally there are Foreign Tax Credits which allow you to receive tax credits for income that is already taxed and paid to a foreign country.

    So, do Americans have to pay US taxes even if they're expats living abroad? Technically yes, but for "normal" people that amount of taxes they have to "pay" is usually $0. The system is set up in this way to prevent people that are sufficiently wealthy from obtaining foreign citizenship in a country like Qatar with no income tax, and claiming their 7 or 8 figure incomes in those countries to get around paying US income tax.

    (Not to say that tax loopholes don't exist, but like at least the absolute lowest hanging fruit of loopholes like that one don't exist)
    This is accurate. The foreign work I did in the past was tax free even when reported although I never reported over 100k.

    I also remember people signing up for re-enlistment bonuses in Iraq and Afghanistan and if their bonus was somewhere over 100k they were briefed they would be taxed.

    -edit
    I actually believe many countries have something similar although someone else would have to speak to the details.
  35. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Who was the most evil person?

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    121
    Views
    2,414

    ►►Re: Who was the most evil person?◄◄

    It may be important to disentangle the idea of morals from sociological 'norms'

    The unwritten code of conduct for our society establishes some behaviors we should follow and some that are unacceptable but its hardly immoral to walk down the street in your underwear while its moral to wear a swim suit that covers the exact same amount of skin.

    Any objective standard of morality would need to function outside of that gap
  36. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:I don't like this new policy change tbh

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    48
    Views
    1,208

    ►►Re: I don't like this new policy change tbh◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbomber16 View Post
    Oops will say what he wants to say over what literally anyone wants him to say/what oops should probably say (nothing at all).
    Honesty holds value even when its someone looking you dead in the eye and telling you that you are an idiot.

    Has Rev ever been less real? I remember the time I sorted like 900 bug reports to come to a hand full that actually still existed and when I brought them up his response to some Bus Driver issue was "Fuck your BDSM orgies."
  37. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Who was the most evil person?

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    121
    Views
    2,414

    ►►Re: Who was the most evil person?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeacesGhost View Post
    I nominate the admins.

    Seriously, "goofy" is a legitimate slur and the Canadian sources you're asking are denying it to troll me and the admins so they can make some faux pas in Canada when they visit.

    You'd think having some college-level educated admins and from learning about actual evils that stopping discrimination is the very first action to take against marginalizing vulnerable minorities such as myself. But instead they look the other way and actually enable it just because they're not from the country where it is a slur.

    It's a joke honestly considering how Nazis have started with enabling hate against Jewish people, actively harassing them, seized their properties, forced them into ghettos, and then sent them to concentration camps to work, starve, and/or die. And these same human evils have been repeated in many years before and after that, such as the Holodomor by USSR's Stalin, the Rwandan Genocide by Hutus, and recently the genocide of Muslims in Burma by Aung San Suu Kyi and her violent buddhists.

    What's next? Are the admins going to invade Canada and seize my properties like the evil communists they are?
    There is an issue in the community you are talking about. Might be worth making a separate thread on if you want to have a conversation about ethical moderation or the considerations that should govern decisions. I feel like making that 'this' is just going to destroy a topic that means quite a bit to me and entangle it with video game politic nonsense I do care about but needs to be handled separate from this subject.
  38. Replies
    19
    Views
    397

    ►►Re: Subjective vs Objective morality◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I'm quite certain we've watched the same debate on YouTube, lol. Otherwise this's a REMARKABLE conjecture to make to say the least..

    Which is great. This means you'll fill in my ~1h30m gap that I missed due to falling asleep.
    I would like a link to it. My thoughts there are entirely original although I long ago realized Iím just reinventing the wheel most of the time
  39. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:I don't like this new policy change tbh

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    48
    Views
    1,208

    ►►Re: I don't like this new policy change tbh◄◄

    For what itís worth Mag, I do think your treated differently. But I also think there is a sort of feedback loop involved.
    Someone says something and you anticipate hostility so you treat it as hostile even if itís not which creates hostility.
    You say something to someone you donít get along with in good faith but they see hostility and treat it as such creating hostility.
    Moderators expect toxic interactions with you so they treat comments as toxic even if they are not.

    Confirmation bias is a bitch. It effects us all and it hurts our personal interactions and relationships. I think for years I didnít get along with oops because I just could not understand the reasoning for his voice in opposition to mine or understand it was simply a genuine opinion. Fast forward like 10 fucking years and I respect his words over most here simply because I have come to understand he is genuine and will say what I need to hear over what I want to hear.

    That said, I do think you have a point that there is bias against you but I also think you can take a moment to understand that bias and learn to interact better within a community.
    Sure this is some video game website but mafia and the macro social interactions hold value well outside of this game or this website.

    Maybe my words will hold value to you?
    Or maybe Iím seen as part of the institution you now hate..
  40. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:I don't like this new policy change tbh

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    48
    Views
    1,208

    ►►Re: I don't like this new policy change tbh◄◄

    I like the idea of moderating individuals more than topics. A part of me was sad when I saw the topic was closed and I felt like the conversation was just starting in some regards.

    Its upsetting to me when the Admins mess with my secret master plan to corrupt everyone on the site and seduce them to the dark side : (
  41. Replies
    19
    Views
    397

    ►►Re: Subjective vs Objective morality◄◄

    I feel like this could certainly have its own topic. I have a lot of thoughts but want to take time posting them so I don't end up rambling like a blathering idiot as I seem to do when I rush posts.

    I will say off the bat that the 'perspective' you are arguing from as well as well as the model of reality you believe in when discussing the issue.

    For example: Objective Morality may be different when considering the perspective of an individual vs the perspective of life on the planet or humans as a species. And a Fatalist is going to have a very different view from a Nihilist.
  42. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Who was the most evil person?

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    121
    Views
    2,414

    ►►Re: Who was the most evil person?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    The fact of the matter is, we can argue till the sun dies, because you will never convince someone to change their Ďmoral codeí, if there is such a thing. Morality is INBORN. Itís that feeling you get when something immoral happens or something very moral. People buy self help books because they want to change their lifestyle and these books really donít help at all. You think reasoning about your morality will, when a book and training programs donít? They wonít lol.

    All the small differences we get in Ďmoralityí arise from different interpretations of EVENTS, not from laws. The laws are the same. That is why you sometimes have different motivations, because you donít know how to interpret a given scenario. There is some feedback from your own morality when you take an action that may be immoral because you donít know if the action you took is correct. But that doesnít mean that morality isnít ultimately just... you know, in your head. Specifically INBORN. Its like the ability to see.

    And yeah nobody will ever follow these moral codes you just espoused, not internally, anyway. Sure I can come up with utilitarianism and follow it to a T, but is that really what I believe? NO! Itís just a formalism that works in certain cases, and not in others.
    We may have to agree to disagree here. I think and personally experienced that when I took the time to study the philosophy and ethics of morality it had a real impact on how I thought. I went from mindlessly doing whatever I felt was right to really considering the logic behind why it should or should not be considered right. If nothing else realizing actions taken that are not in the interest of you and your social group are not inherently 'immoral' is a simple belief that would take great steps towards dismantling many forms of ideology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    And aside from this, people have sometimes other motivations that drive them, not just moral ones. Are you sure you are not guilty of hubris when stating you argued things you knew to be wrong? Thatís the speck of hubris if I ever saw one lol
    Maybe. But I was arguing and doing things I believed to be right even if I did not like them which I think you unintentionally misrepresented in that statement.

    I would also point out I believe morals and motivations are two very separate things. I am 'motivated' by self interest to steal money from someone but my 'morals' are in contrast to that motivation. I am then 'motivated' not to steal that money because of the consequences of doing so if I was caught but there is nothing 'moral' about that drive for self interest.

    Sure they both play into making a choice but the fact driving factors outside of morals exist does not invalidate ethics. It simply points out that the decision making process humans use is not purely built on ethics or morals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Have you ever considered that labelling your beliefs as Ďcomplexí might be seen as pretentious? :P
    Btw, I see no need for Ďcomplex beliefsí when a simpler one would do better.
    Im sure it could be seen as pretentious although the fact I actively poke holes in my reasoning and point out my own hypocrisy speaks very strongly against any desire for my thoughts to be seen as something more profound or grandiose than they are. And when speaking about a subject as complex as the driving factors that govern a persons moral compass I think the complexity of a position is intrinsic to the subject itself.

    Why do you feel a simplistic view is better? How do you feel I could possibly describe my moral driving factors with a label?
  43. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Who was the most evil person?

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    121
    Views
    2,414

    ►►Re: Who was the most evil person?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by rumox View Post
    Helz if you were to label your meta-ethical doctrine, where would you fall?
    Labels are kinda rough. Whatever that human drive to simplify complex beliefs and put them into a category is just kinda unnatural to me.

    Spoiler : Rambling and semi off topic :
    Im certainly lean more twards Deontology than Consequentialism. My previous response to what MM said makes that pretty clear. I find the idea of focusing on results absurd because it puts the serial killer who rapes and murders for his hedonistic desire on the same ethical footing with the aircraft mechanic who failed to catch a problem with an engine killing people on a flight. Thats just insane to me.

    In contrast I am somewhat altruistic. I try to measure my impact on others lives by if they were better off for having had me in their life. Its not very healthy and I am unsure if thats just the main way I validate myself but there are certainly times I struggle between having meant well but with poor end results in regards to an individual.

    I embrace Kants Categorical Imperative. Especially the side of treating others as having intrinsic value and not as a means to achieve an end. Transactional relationships have always disgusted me and its honestly why I moved out of Austin. That 'culture' was becoming more and more like that LA attitude with superficial social interactions and people using etch other for advantage.

    On the large scale I certainly argue for Utilitarianism. One of the largest problems I have with society is how its geared to benefit the 'few at the top' to the determent of the majority. One point that caught me recently was how we fight 'socialist' programs that would benefit the masses at great cost yet we bail out faceless corporations regularly at equal or greater cost.

    I could probably keep rambling but I suppose my lack of ability to pick a label is partially due to the nature of labels but also partially due to how I somehow function on principal but with a bunch of contradictory beliefs depending on the situation. A part of me thinks people need a greater understanding of ethics so they can live in line with their morals but another part feels the deeper you dive into that rabbit hole the more ethical dilemmas you run into..
  44. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Who was the most evil person?

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    121
    Views
    2,414

    ►►Re: Who was the most evil person?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Marshall View Post
    Is evil really just based on the results, though? We're talking about people who had the power to commit horrible things on a very large scale, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't have done worse if they had the power to do so.
    This is a very valid point. Why isn't the serial killer who rapes and murders to embrace his own hedonistic pleasure worse morally than the dictator that kills large amounts of people because he believes its in the best interest of their society? If the intention behind the action defines the morality of the action than just focusing on results takes a very narrow view of morality. Such principals are well founded within structures of law establishing very different treatment for someone who accidentally and negligently kills someone (manslaughter) vs the person who sat around and plotted the death of someone (first degree murder.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Thing is, its not my definition, and its not even a definition at all. It is a literal description of what we find evil, and what we find to be evil is what we are repulsed by morally. We ALL have the same idea of what is evil and what is not. Sure, we can argue about utilitarianism and whatnot forever, but nobody actually follows those moral codes internally lol. Theyíre just tools for thinking and reasoning about morality. Nothing more.
    I disagree and I think this belief is you projecting the way you think onto how you believe others think. There have been plenty of times in my life I have felt obligated to argue a point I disliked or take an action I really didn't want to on principal based on my ethics. Its frequently outlined in stories as the 'evil mad scientist' doing unspeakable things for a greater good others don't understand while the idealistic hero steps in arguing the surface level 'This action is independently bad so stop.' For real life implications just look into accounts of how Immanuel Kant lived vs Jeremy Bentham. Kant in particular functioned radically on principal for the individual to an extreme while Bentham focused more on the large scale of humanity and society and what would be appropriate in governing a populous.
  45. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Who was the most evil person?

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    121
    Views
    2,414

    ►►Re: Who was the most evil person?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    On the Hitler part - I think he could have won the war easily if he used Jews as a resource instead. I believe the more objective conclusion from that is that he's intents weren't so pure as he led to believe?
    Im not sure on that. For him to win he really needed to either conquer the Russia front or never fight them in the first place. Historians have argued for quite some time if he was an idiot for taking on Russia or if it was simply a preemptive strike given Russia was building up troops at the border. We like to credit ourselves with beating the Nazi's but imo Russia won WW2 both by wrecking Germany and Japan..

    To my point its not so much about Hitler as it is the nature of evil. The same could be said for Stalin or Mao Zedong while such thinking could argue a simple murderer who caused a tiny fraction of the suffering they did as less moral.
  46. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Who was the most evil person?

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    121
    Views
    2,414

    ►►Re: Who was the most evil person?◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Dog owners are modern day slave holders and should be purged from our genome.
    I had a pretty funny conversation a year or so back about the ethics of owning dogs. They argued that service animals are a form of slavery and I pointed out that 'pet owners' are basically servants to their pets. If I had a person wash me, feed me and open doors for me I do not think I would look at them as my 'owner' but its all a question of perspective.

    Im kinda surprised that while conversation on evil is about it being subjective conversation about 'who' was evil is centered around deathcounts and such. If Hitler's actions were to protect his people could it be said that he was more moral than many serial killers? Is a hedonistic motivation to the determent of others objective evil or do results matter more than intentions?
  47. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:Ruling on "Goofy"

    Thread Author:Voss

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    24
    Views
    871

    ►►Re: Ruling on "Goofy"◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by HentaiManOfPeace View Post
    Again, one last symbol of integrity because that's what I stand for. I only reported twice and they are legitimate slurs against Canadians.

    I better not see your Texas ass up here or I'll show you a better way to barbecue your meats and humble your foolishness.

    Really out for dis time.
    Lol. Im down.

    Here is my current process:
    Sea salt the steaks 1 day prior and leave them in the fridge.
    10 Hours prior to cooking season (usually some blend of Worcestershire sauce and garlic)
    Vacuum seal steaks and cook on a Sous Vide cooker (hits exact temperature without loosing any flavor)
    While cooking steaks fire up grill for sides and such
    Remove steaks from Sous Vide and sear on grill (about 1 minute each side, seals everything in and gives that grilled texture)
    Let steaks rest while dishing out the grub

    I have done lots of things with my meat but this beats smoking, grilling it or cooking it in an oven and it is honestly much easier. The texture comes out crazy perfect and you can cook your steaks to the very exact temperature you want without all those juices that hold the flavor falling into your grill. Close second would be literally digging a hole, burring the meat wrapped in foil in a bed of coals (under and over.)

    If you got something better than that I would love to get edjamacated on it : )
  48. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:Ruling on "Goofy"

    Thread Author:Voss

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    24
    Views
    871

    ►►Re: Ruling on "Goofy"◄◄

    If the intention behind the action defines the morality of the action I think its more of a question of if his intention was to spam report functions than what word or what the issue is..

    I have too little understanding of site moderation and the situation to have any opinion though.
  49. Forum:Serious Discussion & Debate

    Thread:Who was the most evil person?

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    121
    Views
    2,414

    ►►Who was the most evil person?◄◄

    Something I have been digging into for quite a few years is the nature of evil but it did lead me to a question. Who is the most evil person in history and more importantly why?

    I am sure Hitler, Stalin, Columbus, Mao Zedong and Gangis Khan can easily be argued but I am specifically curious to hear 'why' and I think it could make for an interesting discussion into the nature of evil.
  50. Forum:Forum Mafia Discussion

    Thread:QuickTopic is shutting down

    Thread Author:Lag

    Post Author:Helz

    Replies
    21
    Views
    624

    ►►Re: QuickTopic is shutting down◄◄

    I dont really see this as a big issue. Anon chats can be hosted anywhere. You could simply make accounts on any free game server if you wanted to do it ghetto and logging the chat is as simple as copy/paste into the thread post game. With few exceptions Anon chats are not often 'active' anyways.
Results 1 to 50 of 2000
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4