Search Results - SC2 Mafia
Register

Search:

Type: Posts; User: Marshmallow Marshall

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 0.32 seconds.

  1. ►►Re: New idea: Night one victims HAUNT his/her killer! "wootsauce" mentioned in lobby◄◄

    I'm pretty sure arcade development has decided long ago to ban dead-living interactions, so that's probably not going to happen in there, sadly. However, I'm curious about the reasons that made you suggest that. Who knows, it may see some play on Forum Mafia if it fits a setup's spirit ^^ the only limit there is our imagination (and balance). We have some pretty wild setups sometimes!
  2. ►►Re: Request: Doctor should be able to save people with heart attacks◄◄

    The point of heart attacks is to prevent people from sitting AFK all game, forcing town to lynch them at some point because they're a big question mark (or at least causing serious doubt when it comes to worldbuilding). Doctors shouldn't really be healing heart attacks lol, it's usually against town's interest (there's almost always a better target than some AFK guy who's not talking, not voting, and not doing anything at night).

    But I understand the frustration of getting heart attacks because you went away in the middle of a night after putting your action in...
  3. Replies
    24
    Views
    231

    ►►Re: Arizona Election Proven Stolen◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Wait, that was it?

    Like there wasn't more text to the statement?
    I'm glad I wasn't alone with this feeling
    The site is literally a big inflated bubble without content
    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    Have you seen the President's website? Try to click on the "Contribute" button in the top right for a laugh.
    LOL
    And when you scroll down it tells you "you've been selected"... selected for what, you don't even really know, it seems to imply "selected for giving money"..........

    thx
  4. Forum:Circlejerk

    Thread:voss is worse than hitler.

    Thread Author:Plotato

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    7
    Views
    76

    ►►Re: voss is worse than hitler.◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Other trolls, like Arsonist or Efekann, at least were a class of their own.
    You and HentaiMan are just kinda lame tbh. :/
    +1

    Be original
  5. Replies
    5
    Views
    50

    ►►Re: Australian submarines◄◄

    Yep, it certainly is a lot of money, and there are discussions to be had... but discussions, not "Fuck you, traitors!". That's a terrible idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Our side good, other sides bad.
    I'm aware it's somewhat simplifying, but it also happens to be pretty accurate. But if you find something better than liberal democracy, my DMs are always open :P
    (seriously, can any non-democratic regime be called good compared to democratic ones on the long term? I don't think so)
  6. Replies
    24
    Views
    231

    ►►Re: Arizona Election Proven Stolen◄◄

    I turned my ad blocker off because I thought it was removing things from the... President's site. But no, it really was just that. Lol.
  7. Replies
    5
    Views
    50

    ►►Australian submarines◄◄

    It would seem France has been going crazy recalling its ambassadors because of the AUKUS alliance... I do not see France's interest in doing this, honestly. Like, yes, being salty is definetly justified when an ally breaks one of your deals with another ally, but is it really worth jeopardizing the American-European axis, which is literally the stronghold of liberal democracies against... others? Either there are things I do not understand or there are things we are not being made aware of.
    Or governments really are stupid lol.

    Thoughts?
  8. Sticky: ►►Re: Serious Discussion & Debate Rules◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    What would non excessive trolling look like in a serious discussion or debate?

    Also, same question for non severe, but intentional thread derailing?

    Lastly, what's your opinion on posting obviously off topic or spam? Do they fall under any of the above rules?
    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Oh, thread spam is part of site rules. Should infractions be higher in serious discussion or nah
    Harmless fun that people do not find annoying and that does not completely derail threads is fine. But stuff like random copypastas or insults out of nowhere would fall under that category (the latter would also more importantly fall under being inflammatory, but still).
  9. Poll: ►►Re: S-FM 334 (Ladder): Once Upon a Town in the West (Small-Town Mafia) (13P)◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Mizery View Post
    /in
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizery View Post
    ....
    /sign
    don't worry, we understand /in too lol

    Also, how'd you find us if I may ask? Where are you from in the Mafiasphere?

    oh and
    hi
  10. Poll: ►►Re: S-FM 334 (Ladder): Once Upon a Town in the West (Small-Town Mafia) (13P)◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by luona View Post
    can you rig it so i win
    I'm sorry, Luona, I'm afraid I cannot do that, for it would be against my own interest...


    :P
  11. Poll: ►►Re: S-FM 334 (Ladder): Once Upon a Town in the West (Small-Town Mafia) (13P)◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by luona View Post
    i think it might if it has a diff playerlist, alot of us were shy
    i shouldve taken more of a control i think though..?

    ill /sign here tho

    (is this considered a normal setup..? i remember someone once told me i only sign up for the crazy stuff.)

    ...

    whats the points for? why didnt anyone tell me, i need to slam dunk on these losers and win ofc how much time do i have to dethrone whoevers on top rn?
    Sadly... probably none because the season has been going on for a long time :P. It's hard to come up with a system that takes into account skill but not participation over the course of several games. The points are just to have a ranking and to give people some medals at the end of the season.

    I wouldn't say this is a "normal" setup at all lol, but it has worked well in the past. Pretty wild, though.

    And yes, maybe a different playerlist would make it more viable. I don't think the issue was shy people, though, since shy people aren't the ones trusting scum left and right xD
  12. Poll: ►►Re: S-FM 334 (Ladder): Once Upon a Town in the West (Small-Town Mafia) (13P)◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by luona View Post
    wwhats the ladder about... im scared of heights are we forced to use it?
    I almost didn't get the part about heights XD. Facepalm to myself

    You actually can opt out of being on the Ladder if you don't want to be in it but want to play the game anyway, that's fine! It really doesn't change much, though; all it does is that you don't get points, but you're free to do it.
  13. Poll: ►►Re: S-FM 334 (Ladder): Once Upon a Town in the West (Small-Town Mafia) (13P)◄◄

    lol I went back to see your first game and remembered Trust Fall
    How sad that people trusted people over nothing ;-;

    I wonder if it would go differently if it were to be rehosted.
  14. Poll: ►►Re: S-FM 334 (Ladder): Once Upon a Town in the West (Small-Town Mafia) (13P)◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by luona View Post
    am i allowed to sign up for this..?
    Allowed and very much welcome ^^

    Here's the thread about the Ladder if it confuses you: https://www.sc2mafia.com/forum/showt...adder-Season-7
  15. ►►Re: How come a doc cannot save you from being attacked twice at night?◄◄

    I thought it was a strange FM question, given that it barely happens and can be adjusted freely for each setup... but that's because it wasn't an FM question

    The idea in the Arcade is probably to avoid having literally immortal confirmed people, like an immortal confirmed investigator or something like that.
  16. Replies
    156
    Views
    3,120

    Poll: ►►Re: covid 19 vaccine◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    What's not constructive is posting literal fake news and misinformation lmao.

    Or I suppose that to you, making shit up is just as bad as other people telling someone to stop making shit up?
    It's interesting that you spontaneously think my post was about you :P. You're far from being the only culprit here. But if the hat fits...

    For the record, I too wonder where the heck Mag is getting his data from lol. But you all are trying to prove eachother wrong instead of simply seeking truth and trying to prove your point constructively (now you'll say that in your case it's legitimate because he's the one bringing in weird data and interpretations, but you also did before the weird data). It's not healthy, it's not fun, and it's not useful. Like, there's no reason to carry on.

    And Ozy, I wasn't saying debate is bad at all. I was saying this was not debate, but rather what could be colloquially described as shit flinging. I'm a big fan of the former, but deeply dislike the latter.
  17. ►►Re: Fancy poem discussion / fakeness in society◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Hm

    I interpret the poem to be about a sentimental woman who is struggling to let go of a friendship she lost when things got romantic. Maybe there is something to be said about how her reluctance to confront the flower is just like the way people struggle to confront one another, and so our relationships stagnate rather than grow, due to the walls we put up... Is that what you mean?
    Yes, that is exactly what I mean. There is a level of depth never attained by a lot of people in any relationship imo, and that's what I'm talking about. I'm not saying everyone should completely open their hearts to random people in the streets xD.

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    Fakeness is a curious thing, imo. A lie can be extremely honest yet the truth can be extremely deceptive. Rather than seeing fakeness and honesty as a give and take, consider the possibility that they are not mutually exclusive? You can be simultaneously as fake as you need to be yet as honest with yourself as possible!
    Uh... what
    No, you can't both be honest and fake, these are opposites! Unless you're talking about lying in a way that still truly represents your real opinion, mindset, etc., in which case you're lying but are not being fake.

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    In other words, I think you should try to be exactly as honest as you feel comfortable being / feel is appropriate. If that means you behave honestly in a situation, then great. If that means you act utterly fake, you can still be completely forthright in your fakeness! Also, honesty is something that needs to be earned to a degree... I don't think it's fair to expect people to share their true feelings for free. I think what's bad is when people are fake for the sake of trying to impress others or needlessly suck up to them.
    Yeah, I wasn't saying people should open their hearts to strangers, if that's what it looked like. But choosing to live a social lie constantly seems very superficial and unsatisfying to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    p;edit tho, something that I probably didn't emphasize enough in this whimsical post is that in many (err most) situations you have a responsibility to be honest. I am not trying to say you should lie for convenience then own it... that would be a bit sociopathic XD. I'm thinking of the funeral situation and stuff like that
    Well, it's probably safe to say a lot of people don't view honesty as a responsibility :P.
  18. Replies
    7
    Views
    9,256

    Sticky: ►►Re: GUIDE: In-game commands & Rank unlocks◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkchris View Post
    Hello,

    How can you unlock mothership extended? that is the only thing i would like lol
    I believe you need 20k points for this. It has been a very, very long time since I've looked into point requirements though, since I'm much more into forum mafia now, so don't believe me blindly on this :P
  19. Replies
    156
    Views
    3,120

    Poll: ►►Re: covid 19 vaccine◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I missed this, ngl
    I didn't, on the contrary... not constructive and not fun. People are not trying to prove their point is right, they're trying to prove the others wrong out of spite.
  20. ►►Fancy poem discussion / fakeness in society◄◄

    I stumbled upon this poem thanks to people thinking they're wise and cultivated because they put poems everywhere. I don't even remember where I first found it lol. But here it is anyway, found it from the title: https://poetrying.wordpress.com/2010...y-robyn-sarah/

    It very much seems to be about love relationships, but I think it can be extended to social relationships in general. It made me question the way people act towards eachother (or rather, it made this questioning more acute), always trying to avoid confrontation or disagreement to the point of diluting their messages or literally lying to people's face. I'm half including myself in "people" here, because while I try my best not to do that, sometimes it's hard to avoid and sometimes it just seems inappropriate and unavoidable (like at a funeral, for example). But here's my question: how much should we embrace this fakeness and how much should we reject it, and when/where? I think there's way too much of it in society, but rejecting it completely is probably unreasonable, so where's the line?
  21. Replies
    9
    Views
    170

    ►►Re: Non-leading title about speech◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    I have thought about this issue at great length. After thorough introspection, I am still not sure whether we should have the free speech. In fact, I am not sure whether we should even have the free speech to discuss whether we should have the free speech. But after extremely careful consideration, I am ready to commit myself to the view that we should at least have the free speech to speak of whether we should have the free speech to discuss the free speech. So I wish to pull the conversation back to there, then gradually consider how we proceed.

    Due to my immense study of this topic, my thoughts may prove too profound to follow... but do not be afraid to ask for clarification.
    i WOULD LIKE MANY LENGHTY CLARIFICATIONS PLEASE O WISE ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    On a serious note, we've had a lot of these threads. I have lost count, but this is probably at least the fifth. I don't mind reading a debate, but can't we at least discuss something new?
    The issue is that you can't discuss anything without free speech. Sadly, we probably all have personal examples in mind of unjustified free speech restriction in these troubled times, be it just "hey you shouldn't talk about politics/religion/whatever" or "this position shouldn't even be discussed, even if you're against it". The discussion is therefore very relevant, and Frinckles accurated depicted that as well.

    I do agree that we could just talk about other things for a bit, though.
  22. Replies
    20
    Views
    1,464

    ►►Re: Marfia and Werewolf in VRChat◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocist View Post
    dude... DeanTwo is literally in the wiki

    https://sc2mafia.com/wiki/Commands#Mute (and one of those few to actually have a profile page)
    Lol, so he's the perfect example of someone you'd want to mute?

    I will let the defendant plead his cause
  23. Replies
    13
    Views
    209

    ►►Re: How many chances should a person be given?◄◄

    The terribly unhelpful, yet correct answer is: it depends. Should you forgive someone who killed 10 people in cold blood at once VS should you forgive someone who stole a car is not the same at all. It depends on the person's intent for the future, on whether or not the person is a danger for society and itself, etc.

    Coming up with a number would be completely arbitrary and usually inaccurate.
  24. Replies
    14
    Views
    420

    ►►Re: Post your favourite songs◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I mean, you could host a Walrus and have one of the cats be "Your favorite song".

    SPF had a Walrus one of the cats was exactly that. My sub was only 16th place [ https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums...=1#post5254529 ]
    But your submission was great
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khL4ExuA5kE for those who are too lazy to search for it

    Btw, I'm still listening to Saule, Perkons, Daugava since you linked it and still love it ^^

    also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKHc6Mrca7c
  25. Replies
    20
    Views
    1,464

    ►►Re: Marfia and Werewolf in VRChat◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperJack View Post
    MM is French please try to forgive them.
    psssssssh
  26. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:My Perma-Ban on MU

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    61
    Views
    1,245

    ►►Re: My Perma-Ban on MU◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by aamirus View Post
    Alright MM try not to be so horny. Firebringer can pickle your cucumber in private
  27. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:My Perma-Ban on MU

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    61
    Views
    1,245

    ►►Re: My Perma-Ban on MU◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I don’t think anyone has actually expressed agreement with Helz getting banned? Rumox and oops both disagreed with what Helz said and both yet said they were complete bitches for banning him.
    Hey, don't forget me! Although "complete bitches" may not have been anyone's wording or thought extent lol.

    The only things that makes me say the ban was illegitimate per MU standards (excluding the concept of who is right or whether or not the standards are legitimate themselves), even if it had been a temporary one, are:
    - Warnings are a thing, and were given to other people (like people who have been consistently insulting and belittling others in games... I have a particular somebody in mind...).
    - They're clearly not respecting their own rules/customs by extending the ban to the forums as well, and this without an even seemingly legitimate reason to do so. It's not like Helz did something significantly worse than "standard rulebreaks", afaik.
    - As I already said, they have a public responsibility because of the platform nature of their site. If they didn't want that, then they had to... not be the hosts of the Championship and the general platform for FM.

    Also, Firebringer, I would love to see you witch-hunt cucumbers into pickles XD.
  28. Replies
    20
    Views
    1,464

    ►►Re: Marfia and Werewolf in VRChat◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Deantwo View Post
    Mmh?
    May 2012 as a join date, and I've never seen you before = A GHOST!! :P
  29. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:My Perma-Ban on MU

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    61
    Views
    1,245

    ►►Re: My Perma-Ban on MU◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Disclaimer: My opinion’s reflect those of every user on the website (especially Marshmallow Marshall’s). The entire site speaks through me.

    Black culture doesn’t cause crime. That’s kinda like saying video games promote violence and aggression. It’s just that poor people are more likely to commit crime, and many blacks are poor in America. Saying it’s a part of their culture is a bit meh. You could go as far as arguing that rap encourages ppl to join gangs, and that’s just as ridiculous IMO.

    That being said, while I do think it’s a little racist to make that point, banning people for that reason is a huge overreaction IMO. ‘Retarded’ comes to mind as a term
    Lmao <3

    Exactly this. There's also that the term "black culture" is inaccurate, because being black doesn't come with a specific culture. If you're talking about specific cultural groups in some parts of the US composed of Afro-Americans, then that's different, because those things do exist. But saying they encourage crime and putting that as a cause of crime rates doesn't make sense, since those people have been discriminated pretty heavily since the creation of the US, and even though things are getting much better now, the weight of centuries of discrimination (and partly of literal slavery) certainly doesn't help.

    Also, I just realized this was in FM Discussion. Moved it to General Discussion since it really has nothing to do with FM on the site and more to do with other sites and politics (not because it's not relevant or w/e).
  30. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:My Perma-Ban on MU

    Thread Author:Helz

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    61
    Views
    1,245

    ►►Re: My Perma-Ban on MU◄◄

    Mandatory disclaimer: This is my position only, not the staff's position. Although you can see where I stand on the matter, this engages noone but me and does not represent SC2 Mafia's views as a whole in any way or form.

    Reason cannot argue with feelings unless it has a root in the interlocutor's feelings, i.e. unless the reasoning person knows the person acting strongly on feelings enough to create the wish to have a rational discussion. That is not your case here, sadly. It was clearly stated that they don't care about what you said, but rather about how others perceived it. Thus, without regard to who's right or wrong here, arguing with them is very probably pointless, so you should cross that off your to-do list :P.

    I disagree with the stance about "Asian culture" and the like that got you banned, btw. I think you're oversimplifying and that such continental cultures simply don't exist. And eventually, what you're saying does lead to saying "black culture", assuming such a thing even exists, glorifies crime, i.e. that black people are inherently more criminal than others not because of factors external to themselves (socio-economic factors), but because of their very mentality associated to the "black mindset" or something like that. And that... is absolutely racist lol. I'm not saying that's what you meant, but I'm saying that's what it leads to.

    But - and that is a massive but - when it comes to permabanning someone without warning for saying something that eventually leads to a racist point of view when they probably didn't even realize it, that's a massive red flag in my moderator and human heart. I would say it's their right as long as their community supports it, though, and it seems to be the case... I would say that, but only if they weren't the platform for cross-community events and home to the Championship. That makes them not a simple harmonious, homogeneous commune enforcing self-preservation rules, but rather something alike to a totalitarian state of FM. Of course, this is a bit of an exaggeration because it's not real life, but the principle remains. So, as a conclusion: this situation is sad. But there's not much we can do about it.

    I do think you could ask to simply be unbanned and pledge not to talk about politics there anymore, though. That could work if all you want is to be able to play there.
    Personally, I don't play on MU anymore unless I'm invited to a game in some way or form, because while I can understand the wish of having a safe space, it simply doesn't attract me, since I like freedom of thought, speech, and debate. That's also an option to consider if you just want to sleep at night, if I may suggest.
  31. Replies
    14
    Views
    420

    ►►Re: Post your favourite songs◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Dream is a better one from Cranberries
    It sounds good, but I'm unable to properly hear the lyrics... Good though
  32. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:texas

    Thread Author:oops_ur_dead

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    32
    Views
    628

    ►►Re: texas◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    Last night was one of those nights. No telling what was going through my head there.

    I swear I am not totally insane yet : )
    I kinda assumed you were talking about an insane dance party because of
    So don't worry we're all insane here XD
  33. Replies
    14
    Views
    420

    ►►Re: Post your favourite songs◄◄

    The last two posts are... peculiar

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl5yRIfNuWQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxJdIGu36c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P_QjicXrto
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts
  34. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:texas

    Thread Author:oops_ur_dead

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    32
    Views
    628

    ►►Re: texas◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    We need to make this happen
    To make what happen?
  35. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:texas

    Thread Author:oops_ur_dead

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    32
    Views
    628

    ►►Re: texas◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by oops_ur_dead View Post
    Who the fuck moved my thread.
    Hello!
    Quote Originally Posted by NotPaopan View Post
    Nice song! But uh, why is a Kazakh guy singing it in a Chinese show?

    Quote Originally Posted by NotPaopan View Post
    : )
  36. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:texas

    Thread Author:oops_ur_dead

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    32
    Views
    628

    ►►Re: texas◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Why the love for Kazakhstan?
    here's why:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pykFKTLaoKc

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    I like em, the one person I know from there, a good Zealot Hockey player on SC2. Apparently some there speak Russian well. I guess similarly to how in Ukraine the people living closer to the Russian boarder speak Russian? But I thought 99% of Russian population live in the EU side of their territory, so why would someone in Kazakhstan speak Russian?
    here's why:
    S O Y U Z N E R U S H I M Y R E S P U B L I K S V O B O D N Y K
  37. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:New mod Lag

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    26
    Views
    795

    ►►Re: New mod Lag◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    @Marshmallow Marshall
    What do you make of Lag defending you out of the blue? Does it feel like pocketing to you?
    Hmm, possible, but I'd rather see it as simple agreement between reasonable people.

    Also, I am clearly scumhunting! Look at my vote!
  38. Forum:General Discussion

    Thread:texas

    Thread Author:oops_ur_dead

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    32
    Views
    628

    ►►Re: texas◄◄

    "serious discussion and debate"

    "texas"




    Also Helz, Texas isn't the greatest country in the world, Kazakhstan is. All other countries are run by little girls...
  39. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:New mod Lag

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    26
    Views
    795

    ►►Re: New mod Lag◄◄

    -vote oops_ur_dead

    scum confirmed
  40. Forum:Site Discussion

    Thread:New mod Lag

    Thread Author:OzyWho

    Post Author:Marshmallow Marshall

    Replies
    26
    Views
    795

    ►►Re: New mod Lag◄◄

    I mean it goes without saying but since everyone said it here I'll say it too lol: congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    Also @Varcron , it's been a while! Glad to see you again, where have you been?
    getting lynched D1 probably
  41. Replies
    5
    Views
    198

    ►►Re: Petition to change the name of Sudan◄◄

    There's a potentially funny reference I don't get here, help
  42. Poll: ►►Re: S-FM 334 (Ladder): Small-Town Mafia (13P)◄◄

    /sign

    Just saying though, please consider I have limited time and thus will not be highly active. I expect to be able to be active enough to play reasonably, though.
  43. Replies
    38
    Views
    1,057

    ►►Re: Withdrawal from Afghanistan◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Helz View Post
    For context that quoted copy-paste was a bit of my ramblings in a discord serious/politics chat from a few weeks back.
    I kinda guessed it was that :P
  44. Replies
    38
    Views
    1,057

    ►►Re: Withdrawal from Afghanistan◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    What are your thoughts on opinions such as this?
    (I will copy paste quite raw, I know you don't mind )
    I think the idea of forcing that society to adopt the way we structure our society is very foolish. They are a very tribal people and even saying 'The taliban' took it back misses the fact that the majority of the fighters we are calling Taliban have no loyalty to such a group
    We get too caught up in labels in general from my experience over there. They are just not organized in such a structured way.
    "what do u think the taliban are?"

    Its a label 1st world countries use so they can talk about the fight in terms people will understand
    They are really and truly on the most basic level tribal groups
    Some like etchother and some dont. Its many small groups doing things, every one with their own goals and beliefs
    You can group everyone that say- fights the US forces and give them a name but they are no more an organization than we are as a species
    Largely. Its all about power structures
    "so they're not some collective org?"

    In a way they are but its more semantics
    Its a category we make
    A label we put on what is essentially a superorganism although that lable suggests its an organism.
    If that makes sense
    Its a huge difference in how society's are structured. And your dealing with people who's loyaltys go back many generations and hold blood feuds with other people
    For an example, There was this city in Helmand Province Afghanistan that had an insurgent issue. Some foreign fighters came to fight us. The city was getting pissed because they were setting IED's but some were blowing their own people up. That city was made up mostly of 2 sects that had issues with etchother. We stepped in and took out the insurgents and they were happy. After a while we left but came back a month later to discover the town was abandoned.
    Turns out that with the insurgents gone the two groups went back to fighting and they killed etch-other off. The survivors were so few they just left.
    In our minds we may look at that as a city, the town as one group. But it was 3 'tribes' each with their own loyalty's. We can put the label on it to talk about it but it does not change the way that society interacted and our intervention ended up costing dozens of lives of those we 'say' we were there to protect
    Anyways.. Im rambling. But I have quite a bit of personal experience over there and can't help but feel like that entire situation should have been expected. In that war we fought them and they used the weapons we gave them to fight the russians to do it. In the next we will fight them again with the weapons we gave them.
    The capitalistic war machine keeps grinding out the tax dollars and the objective isn't to win.
    Peace is bad for business imo.
    Politicians are scrambling to figure out how they can manipulate how the information is presented to keep them in power while the weapons manufacturers are pushing their lobbyists to get those in power to get that war machine running again
    Or that is how I see it anyways

    I can see how it's possible that we in the west are labeling everyone over there too much.

    What I can't quite follow is the "peace if bad for business" statement in combination with politicians.
    The military is funded by the money of tax payers. Choosing to spend that money on military gives no money to the politicians, goverment or country. (other than maybe it giving you access to oil or something)
    "Taliban" is an ideology (a school/interpretation of Islam), not a group. Also, "they [Afghans] are a very tribal people"... uh, I'm not sure that's a valid point lol. I'm not even sure "they" are one people to begin with, although that would have to be history fact-checked. Some are very happy with tribal organization, some are far from that (don't tell me people in Kabul, Herat or whatever other big city there is in Afghanistan are very tribal, that's utterly false).

    The "label" part is somewhat true since talibans are simply demonized by the US, as can be seen in military propaganda movies, for example. However, the answer is a little oversimplified: it's not true that the talibans are nothing organized. There's a general agreement of guerilla warfare, and there are founders of the movement (hence why there are people going to lead the new government). It's not a super strict organization of course, and it will still be civil war once the "Western problem" is gone for them, but it still is an organization, as the anonymous author even recognized later - this part seems contradictory with the rest. It seems that was written out of resent for the very simplistic and inaccurate label "talibans are Hell's army of evil muslims" views more than out of an intent to grasp the concept, which is understandable, but not so enlightening.

    As for "peace is bad for business", remember how WW2 got the US out of the Great Depression. They manufactured weapons, a LOT of weapons. That, and access to oil or something, as you said, but I don't know enough about the area to say for sure.
  45. Replies
    38
    Views
    1,057

    ►►Re: Withdrawal from Afghanistan◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    It's not racist though, that's a misleading thought.
    If you look at the study I posted here(which comprised of ~11k people), you'll find that in the UK people have a consensus that ethnic diversity is good, but at the same time that the rate of change and migration is too rapid. It's just a small part of a ~160 pages of that study, but it showcases well how the usual "you're against immigrants makes you racist" train of thought is just, for all intents and purposes, proven wrong.
    ^^^^^^ and even just on a purely intellectual basis, not wanting massive/uncontrolled immigration flows and all the instability they bring on many levels doesn't mean you hate the people that come.
    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    With Taliban in charge the country will be Islamic on a governmental level, that's how I interpret this.
    But Afghanistan is 99.7% Muslim, so there's not really an actual difference here right? Apart from maybe it's the more "radical" Muslims being in charge.
    There's Muslim and Muslim, though. Talibans were very restrictive, couldn't care less for human rights, and had (still have) no intent to create any democracy. The previous regime was islamic as well (the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan sounds pretty... islamic), but much more liberal and democratic compared to the talibans' regime.


    Also Stealth, do you mean Sunni and Shia Islam? I thought pretty much everyone with political importance was Sunni in Afghanistan, although I'm not highly informed on the topic either.
  46. Replies
    5
    Views
    216

    [WIP] ►►Re: FM/M-FM The Red Knight Rises◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    This setup is still a work in progress. (we have setup page, signup page, game thread - be in 3 different threads on this site)

    When the setup will be ready, they will open signups. Assuming that the setup will be ready ofc, because not every setup gets finished.
    That being said, there will eventually be signups for a new game, in which you are very welcome to simply post "/sign" to be counted in!
  47. Replies
    38
    Views
    1,057

    ►►Re: Withdrawal from Afghanistan◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by yzb25 View Post
    That couldn't be further from the truth. I've been trying quite hard not to contribute to threads that seem toxic for quite a few months now, albeit with a few hiccups. If this devolves into people shitflinging I would PM Aamirus or MM and ask them to close my thread as soon as I could.

    In particular, I don't have as much patience for interpersonal feuds as I used to. If you're just looking for an argument, kindly piss off lol. But I think people have been (somewhat?) better for a couple weeks, and I am genuinely very curious to hear people's takes on this. So I want to give it a shot.
    +99999999, let's keep things in this spirit
    Quote Originally Posted by OzyWho View Post
    Ngl, this was the first time I heard of it.
    Upon searching for an official announcement by the president, I learned that Trump is no longer it.
    I think I might have watched one too many cat videos..


    From what I understand,
    -In something called the "Doha Agreement" Trump promised the withdrawal to the Taliban.
    -That agreement forced Biden to choose between a withdrawal now or an escalation of the war.

    I wanted to search for Trump's reason of the promise and what I could find was:
    To which I must sadly say that I don't either. If someone could educate me on that - that'd be great. ╰(*︶`*)╯

    What are the Taliban, and why did Trump promise it to them instead of the Afghan government?
    What's that Taliban takeover of Afghanistan right after the withdrawal? Sounds to me like "Afghanistan's takeover of Afghanistan", ngl. \_(ツ)_/
    The taliban movement is a fundamentalist islamic movement; "taliban" means "student", implying "of the faith". They were uh, very naughty when it comes to human rights (like really very naughty), and then helped/hid Ben Laden. This angered the USA, who punished them severely - by attacking them, I believe in 2001, with an international coalition (war against terror). That's the official version, at least.

    A more critical approach would involve analysis of the strategical location of the country; during the Cold War, the two blocs were heavily involved in the area, and it's some kind of border between worlds - the Western/westernized world, the South-Asian world, Russia, etc. Everyone wants control of that place, which is a big reason for invading them (them generally governing in a terribly repressive manner just adds a layer of legitimacy). However, the people there happen to be Muslim in a quite traditionalist manner, which is why the taliban were strong: they had the support of the people, at least in rural regions. Thus, it does sound like Afghanistan's takeover of Afghanistan because that's what it is for a significant part, sadly. It's not only that, though, since there was a liberalization process going on in cities (I say in cities because rural areas are de facto governed by tribe leaders who do whatever the hell they want lol, to say it broadly). That means women holding power positions and not being under hijab 24/7, for example. This is very probably going to end.

    Afghanistan was an invasion that ultimately failed; the guerilla warfare applied by talibans was the way to go, it seems. If the people there don't change their mentalities significantly enough, sending tanks won't do much.
  48. Replies
    156
    Views
    3,120

    Poll: ►►Re: covid 19 vaccine◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    I'm not sure if I understood everything, but basically don't get the vaccine because:
    - Big pharma created the vaccines
    - Big pharma created opioids and other drugs
    - Zinc, the supplement, isn't in stores anymore

    What are your qualifications for giving this advice? Outstanding, extensive personal research?
    To be fair, big multinational pharmaceutical companies have too much power for private entities and too little restrictions, both financial and moral. But I will not pretend that is anything close to what Light is talking about... and I'm not sure what exactly he is talking about, actually.
  49. Replies
    156
    Views
    3,120

    Poll: ►►Re: covid 19 vaccine◄◄

    "democracy"

    I believe I can vote right now, though. It's either because I'm an admin or because the poll simply isn't closed yet, I'm not sure. To vote, just pick a choice and click "Vote Now".
  50. Replies
    1,101
    Views
    14,115

    ►►Re: S-FM 333: Murder in the Mid-Atlantic◄◄

    Quote Originally Posted by Frinckles View Post
    WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK IM SO CONFUSED RIGHT NOW

    lagattack your fucking generator is broken
    So you made a list you don't believe in?
Results 1 to 50 of 2000
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4