PDA

View Full Version : Radio Interview and Free Lynch: Mechanics

Forum Mafia GM
June 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Radio Interview:

While there are other certain... factors in FMXIII which will discourage anti-social lurking, we're implementing a couple of new mechanics. We hope they'll be seamless and immersive.

The first is the Radio Interview. If someone has been very inactive during a day there can be a number of understandable reasons for it, and we didn't want to immediately jump to harsh measures. At the end of each day anyone who has contributed very little will be eligible for the Radio Interview. I will be announcing the radio interviewees near the end of the day, and everyone may submit a simple question to me.

During the night each interviewee will be given a list of questions to answer, some created by me and some randomly chosen from player submissions. The interviewee must supply significant answers to all of the questions. If the interviewee does NOT supply significant answers, then the next day they will be eligible for a 'free lynch'. The interview will be published to the whole town the following day.

If a player is radio interviewed two nights in a row then they may be eligible for a free lynch even if the answer the questions.

Free Lynch:

This is quite simple. The townspeople may cast a vote to lynch on a lurker which is independent from the main lynch. Simply put, instead of us as the Hosts handing out the modkills, we give control over to the players. The first people to be 'free-lynched' will be replaced by reserves. Everyone will be notified when there are no reserves left. Unlike the normal lynch, a free lynch can be 'un-hammered' - only the votes still effective at the end of the day count.

The Idea:

Lurkers make a game less fun because it's difficult to get any kind of read on them or any significant contribution. The Radio Interview is designed to encourage activity, because while you can control what you post, you cannot control what questions you may have to answer during the interview. It's also a fast-response measure, so we can nip it in the bud whilst not punishing someone who may have legitimate reasons for not being able to post for a couple of days. The interview will force players to state their opinions out in the open. At the end of the day that's all we want.

The Free Lynch gives power back to the Town. In the past it was difficult to punish lurkers. The Town only has access to a single lynch per day and it's difficult enough to co-ordinate that. Now, hopefully, the players have some more control over the fate of their game.

Note: This is at the host's discretion. A player does not need to do much to avoid the radio interview. If a player is eligible for a free lynch and then begins being an active member of the game then it can be reversed (it has achieved the desired effect). Similarly, if someone eligible for a free lynch continues to be AFK and is not free-lynched, then he may be replaced at the host's discretion anyway; that scenario is less likely if replacements are not available.

Moral of the story - Just play the game and we will do our best to make sure that the people you are playing with at least participate :)

Update: Understand that when you are put up for a free lynch, you have already passed the mark where you could have been modkilled! Your first chance to escape the free lynch is during the day chat when all you have to do is participate and not just type 'hey guys'/'i have to catch up on reading'/etc. - your second chance to escape the free lynch is by answering the radio interview. If you don't think you should be up for a free lynch, or that someone else shouldn't be up for a free lynch, please don't petition me. Convince the other players. I will only rescind a free lynch if significant efforts are made by that player. Exhibit A - Brostin became the most active player in the whole game after he was up for free lynch, rescinded. Exhibit B - Fluttershy made a single post with no real substance when up for free lynch, free lynch remained.